Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread. - Page 174 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5191 of 5258 Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
So started getting an issue with my 247. When I try to crank it; it goes into protected mode.

Never had any issues b4 sinve i got it in 2007 so thinking of taking off the case and checking for dust blobs / airflow issues. And blasting it with the compressor.

Anyone have any feedback on why doing his would be s bad thing? .

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5258 Old 12-11-2011, 01:01 AM
Advanced Member

So protected mode is firing off around -25 or so where it never used too. Usd tone able to go to the plus side!

More Setup Pix / Pix of Setup
Hardware - Sony XL3: Win7sp1 x64 / Q6700 CPU / 120GB SSD (OS) / 2x2TB TV / 8GB Ram / Radeon HD 7700LP / Ceton ETH6 Tuner

Extenders: 3x Xbox360's, 2x Roku 3's

Software: MediaBrowser / MyChannelLogosXL / RecordedTV HD / Plex

post #5193 of 5258 Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 AM

Liked: 10
Does anybody know if there is a way to make the 347 send the audio signal out with the HDMI output? I have the signal coming out of my receiver split to two TV's, with one in my dining room. I'd like to he able to turn the volume on on that TV, but can't find a setting for the receiver to send the audio signal out. Thanks in advance.
post #5194 of 5258 Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by NizZ8 View Post

So started getting an issue with my 247. When I try to crank it; it goes into protected mode.

Never had any issues b4 sinve i got it in 2007 so thinking of taking off the case and checking for dust blobs / airflow issues. And blasting it with the compressor.

Anyone have any feedback on why doing his would be s bad thing? .

Blowing out 4+ years of dust certainly won't hurt, but you should try disconnecting speakers from the receiver's binding posts one by one and see if you can pinpoint the problem to a specific channel. If you do, check and/or replace wiring for that channel and check the speaker itself (perhaps swap with another channel and see if problem 'moves' to that one)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson1111 View Post

Does anybody know if there is a way to make the 347 send the audio signal out with the HDMI output? I have the signal coming out of my receiver split to two TV's, with one in my dining room. I'd like to he able to turn the volume on on that TV, but can't find a setting for the receiver to send the audio signal out. Thanks in advance.

The 347 should already be outputting audio through the HDMI output. The ability to disable audio over HDMI out came with the x54s. While I've been without my 347 for over a year, I'm fairly certain this was the case.

Are you using just a basic 'Y' style non-powered HDMI splitter, or a powered HDMI splitter?
I ask because I have used the non-powered HDMI splitter adapters 'sucessfully' up to 1080i BUT there was NO audio at the displays.

Try hooking up just ONE TV to the 347's HDMI output just to confirm whether or not there is audio output over HDMI from your 347 (again, I'm fairly certain there is)
If there is, then consider upgrading to a better powered HDMI splitter.
post #5195 of 5258 Old 12-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

The 347 should already be outputting audio through the HDMI output. The ability to disable audio over HDMI out came with the x54s. While I've been without my 347 for over a year, I'm fairly certain this was the case.

Are you using just a basic 'Y' style non-powered HDMI splitter, or a powered HDMI splitter?
I ask because I have used the non-powered HDMI splitter adapters 'sucessfully' up to 1080i BUT there was NO audio at the displays.

Try hooking up just ONE TV to the 347's HDMI output just to confirm whether or not there is audio output over HDMI from your 347 (again, I'm fairly certain there is)
If there is, then consider upgrading to a better powered HDMI splitter.

I'll have to try hooking up just one TV to see if it's getting audio. I am using a powered splitter. The description of the splitter claims these features...

HDMI 1.3, HDCP 1.2 compliant
3D support
Video formats supported: 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 480p, 576i, 480i
Supports 'Deep Color' (10bit, & 12bit)
HIgh definition audio supports: DTS-HD, True-HD, LPCM 7.1, AC3, DTS, DSD

I've always had the audio turned off on my main TV, so hooking back up directly to the receiver and seeing if it receives any audio should help to isolate the problem. Thanks.
post #5196 of 5258 Old 01-05-2012, 01:43 PM

I'm sure this information is in this wonderful thread somewhere but I've not been able to find it...

Does the 247 allow for switching between an A and B set of speakers via the IR remote?

I want to pick up a used 247 to drive two secondary sets of speakers in my house fed as Zone 2 from my primary receiver. I want to be able to use the remote to enable/disable speakers in this configuration. Most older receivers have manual A/B buttons on the front but it looks like to me like the 247 provides this capability via the remote. Just want to confirm.
post #5197 of 5258 Old 01-25-2012, 10:57 AM

i have harman kardon that i got from friend some time ago. it was working fine with only one issue. when i play apple tv via AVR247 and specifically netflix it gives me error that "your client is not HDCP compliant". so i thought to upgrade the firmware as it was still at the firmware of 2007 version.

i did upgrade successfully. guess what, after upgrade it does not give me any sound. apple problem is still there.

now i do not have any sound from the receiver. i tried different sources as HDMI, digital/optical and analog but no luck. i only get sound when i crank it upto full +10 db. the sound is so low that i cant hear it clearly even when sitting next to speakers.

i called audio tech and he told me that most probably that i have reset the settings, i did not save any settings as advised by upgrader as i was thinking these settings would be for radio stations.

would someone be able to help me? any similar experiences regarding this sound issue? what should i do?

HK dont have service centre in my city and asked me to ship it to their service centre and pay for shipping both ways. only shipping cost would be so much that i should be able to buy new receiver.

please advise, help, tips, etc.
post #5198 of 5258 Old 01-25-2012, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
^^^ Have you tried reseting the unit?
post #5199 of 5258 Old 01-25-2012, 11:07 AM

few times, still no luck
post #5200 of 5258 Old 01-25-2012, 11:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by stalwart105 View Post

few times, still no luck

:-/ that's tough... I do think this is a software issue, though.. I had a 247 and while the hardware was great, the software was way too cluttered and buggy, so I got rid of it. I'd give them a call so you can speak with someone directly.

Good luck!
post #5201 of 5258 Old 01-25-2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:

i have harman kardon that i got from friend some time ago. it was working fine with only one issue. when i play apple tv via AVR247 and specifically netflix it gives me error that "your client is not HDCP compliant". so i thought to upgrade the firmware as it was still at the firmware of 2007 version.

i did upgrade successfully. guess what, after upgrade it does not give me any sound. apple problem is still there.

now i do not have any sound from the receiver. i tried different sources as HDMI, digital/optical and analog but no luck. i only get sound when i crank it upto full +10 db. the sound is so low that i cant hear it clearly even when sitting next to speakers.

i called audio tech and he told me that most probably that i have reset the settings, i did not save any settings as advised by upgrader as i was thinking these settings would be for radio stations.

would someone be able to help me? any similar experiences regarding this sound issue? what should i do?

HK dont have service centre in my city and asked me to ship it to their service centre and pay for shipping both ways. only shipping cost would be so much that i should be able to buy new receiver.

please advise, help, tips, etc.

So it applies to all input sources? Does changing the surround mode have any effect (i.e. use 2 channel bypass on an analog source)
As you have tried resetting the unit multiple times, you could try running the upgrade utility again (I'm not positive if it will let you, though, once version is checked). Make sure you are using the latest SW version posted on HK's support page for the 247/347. If using a Win7 or Vista PC run program as administrator and XP compatibility. Whenever possible use a Serial adapter.

As for the apple TV issues, are you are using the Apple TV's HDMI output?
post #5202 of 5258 Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRockHK View Post

So it applies to all input sources? Does changing the surround mode have any effect (i.e. use 2 channel bypass on an analog source)
As you have tried resetting the unit multiple times, you could try running the upgrade utility again (I'm not positive if it will let you, though, once version is checked). Make sure you are using the latest SW version posted on HK's support page for the 247/347. If using a Win7 or Vista PC run program as administrator and XP compatibility. Whenever possible use a Serial adapter.

As for the apple TV issues, are you are using the Apple TV's HDMI output?

i tried all that.

Apple TV i am using HDMI output as there is no other output.
post #5203 of 5258 Old 02-01-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:

i tried all that.

Apple TV i am using HDMI output as there is no other output.

This will sound silly, but have you tried running the update again? I had issues with the update process on Windows 7 - it would only update the Audio/MCU successfully, and then fail at the video. I then tried from a Windows XP virtual machine and everything went well.

In other words, try running the update again and do it from a Windows XP machine (virtual or otherwise). If you've already done this.... well

Edit: Looks like I'm repeating dRockHK's advice. Sorry.
post #5204 of 5258 Old 03-17-2012, 11:53 AM

Just wanted to mention that I seem to have successfully updated firmware using a Dell laptop running Win 7 Enterprise SP1 and a serial cable. I tried installing the XP compatibility VM as someone suggested, but despite applying the hotfix for a non-virtualized CPU it would not run, although MS says it should. So I went ahead anyway, right-clicked Run as Administrator, and it went through the whole process. My only problem was not pushing the reset button hard enough or long enough and getting Error 4 the first time.
post #5205 of 5258 Old 04-17-2012, 05:10 PM

I just received a HK AVR 247 from a customer who said that he didn't know how to use it. He said it works fine. I brought it home hooked it up and it works for a few seconds and displays "Protect". If I leave it off for 2-3 minutes it will stay on for around 60 seconds before displaying "Protect". This is without any speakers attached. Any help would be appreciated. As this was a gift and didn't cost me anything I am not afraid to try crazy solutions! Any help would be appreciated!
post #5206 of 5258 Old 05-15-2012, 09:01 PM

I have wasted 2 days straight now trying to complete a Firmware upgrade to an AVR 347.

For those of you that were successful it would help to know the exact configuration and steps you took.

i.e. the following questions:

Which receiver? 247, 347, 354, 254?
USB/RS-232 cable or regular RS-232 Male/Female cable?
Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 2000?
Which Windows Service Pack? 1, 2, 3...?
Did you follow the instructions verbatim or were there differences or tricks you had to use?

All of these things seem to make a difference.

I have spent the past 2 days trying to upgrade my AVR347 and followed the file trick posted years ago by tbucht (post #3475) to no avail.

Here are my results:

My very first attempt (Windows XP, Service Pack 1, Laptop, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Male)): DSP Firmware successful, got all the way through Video Upgrade then Failed with a full status bar and the message, "AVR didn't respond properly. Time out. Video subsystem upgrade failed"

Now it won't even start the video upgrade no matter what configuration I try... I get all the way to Video Upgrade and when I click "upgrade" the window flashes once and I get the same message, "AVR didn't respond properly. Video subsystem upgrade failed"

I have attempted the following configurations all with this same problem:

1. Laptop with Windows XP, Service Pack 1, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Male).

2. Desktop with Windows XP, Service Pack 1, Gigaware USB-A to RS-232 (Male)

3. Desktop with Windows XP, Service Pack 1, Gigaware RS-232 (Female) to RS-232 (Male)

4. Laptop with Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Female).

5. Desktop with Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Gigaware RS-232 (Female) to RS-232 (Male)

6. Desktop with Windows XP, Service Pack 2, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Female)

7. Desktop with Windows XP, Service Pack 3, Gigaware RS-232 (Female) to RS232(Male)

8. Desktop with Windows XP, Service Pack 3, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Female)

9. Laptop with Windows XP, Service Pack 3, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Female)

10. Laptop with Windows Vista x64, Service Pack 2, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Female)

11. Laptop with Windows 7, Service Pack 1, Gigaware USB-A to RS232(Female)

I attached a screenshot of the fail. This screenshot is from Windows 7 but, as I already mentioned, occurs on every configuration listed. I'm wondering if the video board is completely hosed after the first 2 attempts failed. I haven't even been able to replicate the error 7. At this point everything I try results in a "AVR didn't respond properly"

For those of you that were successful, what configuration did you use? I would love to have the last 16 hours of my life back. Please help!
LL
post #5207 of 5258 Old 05-15-2012, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I don't recall the brands..
But awhile back HK tech support had a list of compatible USB > Serial dongles..
As many did not work..

You mite want to call and ask..

Just my $0.02...
post #5208 of 5258 Old 07-10-2012, 04:37 PM

I just got off the phone with technical support and the rep said that any USB/Serial cable will work, but I need to ensure that the driver for the cable is installed on the computer the update is running from.

I'm trying to find a cable so if anyone has a link can you please respond to this post with it?

Cheers!
post #5209 of 5258 Old 07-10-2012, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBRIDER View Post

I just got off the phone with technical support and the rep said that any USB/Serial cable will work, but I need to ensure that the driver for the cable is installed on the computer the update is running from.
I'm trying to find a cable so if anyone has a link can you please respond to this post with it?
Cheers!

You have been told misinformation by HK tech support..
As I posted previously not all USB > Serial dongles are the same..
There are differences..
Some work and others don't.
If you find one that works post back the brand & stock #, as obviously HK tech support doesn't know..

Good luck.. rolleyes.gif

Just my $0.02.. wink.gif
post #5210 of 5258 Old 07-10-2012, 06:36 PM

This is a list of the HK 'recommended' USB->Serial adapters for updating the AVR x54 series receivers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HK 
. If your computer is not equipped with a serial port, you may use one of the USB-to-serial-port adapters listed below that have been tested for interoperability with the AVRs.

Gigaware™ Model 26-949
StarTech.com Model ICUSB232
IOGEAR Model Z-GUC232A
Although this note is for the AVR x54 update, you will have a better chance the x47 update succeeding with these models as well.

FWIW, I'd recommend using a WinXP machine if possible. If Vista or 7, make sure to run the AVR x47 upgrade program with administrator privileges and XPSP3 compatibility.
post #5211 of 5258 Old 09-19-2012, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Just a quick hi! I've been gone for quite a bit. I had bought a Sony DN1000 a couple years ago or so and have been using that for quite awhile. While the Sony has more HDMI inputs and really likes my Harmony 1 remote, I started missing that sweet Harman Kardon sound!

When I got the Sony, I tried to sell the AVR247, but all the offers I got were lower than I wanted to take, so I stuffed it into a closet.

Broke it out the other day, dusted it off, blew air around it a bit and hooked it back up.

OH MY! What a sweet sound! And that BASS! The Sony just doesn't have that much in comparison, and of course, there are few amps with this sweet sound.

Everything worked fine. I've got it connected thus:
Mono Price 4-port HDMI switch -->AVR247 HDMI #1

Inputs to the switch are Sony BluRay, (2) DirecTV HR24 Satellite DVRs, AppleTV (2nd edition)

HDMI #2 is for the HDDVD

The AppleTV works great with my HK for info, as does everything else.

The one and only issue with it is that the Harmony 1 won't do up/down movements in the OSD. Nothing I do makes that happen. Glad to find out that my HD remote still works!!

Lloyd
post #5212 of 5258 Old 09-19-2012, 10:25 PM

I can use up&down in AVR347 OSD with my Harmony 1.
post #5213 of 5258 Old 09-20-2012, 05:08 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lparsons21 View Post

Just a quick hi! I've been gone for quite a bit. I had bought a Sony DN1000 a couple years ago or so and have been using that for quite awhile. While the Sony has more HDMI inputs and really likes my Harmony 1 remote, I started missing that sweet Harman Kardon sound!
When I got the Sony, I tried to sell the AVR247, but all the offers I got were lower than I wanted to take, so I stuffed it into a closet.
Broke it out the other day, dusted it off, blew air around it a bit and hooked it back up.
OH MY! What a sweet sound! And that BASS! The Sony just doesn't have that much in comparison, and of course, there are few amps with this sweet sound.
Everything worked fine. I've got it connected thus:
Mono Price 4-port HDMI switch -->AVR247 HDMI #1
Inputs to the switch are Sony BluRay, (2) DirecTV HR24 Satellite DVRs, AppleTV (2nd edition)
HDMI #2 is for the HDDVD
The AppleTV works great with my HK for info, as does everything else.
The one and only issue with it is that the Harmony 1 won't do up/down movements in the OSD. Nothing I do makes that happen. Glad to find out that my HD remote still works!!

I replaced mine with a Onkyo and then a Sony. I agree the sound of the Sony doesn't compare but it works! My Harmon Kardon and Onkyo had many, many problems. The Sony works like a champ.
post #5214 of 5258 Old 09-20-2012, 07:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asil View Post

I can use up&down in AVR347 OSD with my Harmony 1.

I've read of others also having the 347 work, which would make you think the 247 would too. But even after having the Harmony 1 'learn' the buttons, it won't. But it isn't all that big a deal as going to the OSD is just something I rarely do, and for those times, I'll just use the HK remote.

I did add a few screen buttons to the activities involved so I can switch soundfields when Dolby Digital isn't there.

Lloyd
post #5215 of 5258 Old 09-20-2012, 07:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezzmin View Post

I replaced mine with a Onkyo and then a Sony. I agree the sound of the Sony doesn't compare but it works! My Harmon Kardon and Onkyo had many, many problems. The Sony works like a champ.

I can't complain about how well my Sony worked as it was flawless from day 1. But the sound quality is certainly different. Mostly switched because I can!

And fortunately for me, the HK247 never gave me any problems after the firmware updates and doesn't now either. One thing I was concerned about was the sparkle issue that some used to see with 1080p screens. When I had bought the 247, I had a 1080i tv and it didn't have any issue with it. And now with my 54" panny plasma, it doesn't either.

The main reason I had switched from the 247 to the Sony was because I was getting tired of juggling remotes and at the time, non of the universal remotes I looked at would handle the HDMI switcher. With the Harmony 1, this isn't an issue now.

Lloyd
post #5216 of 5258 Old 09-20-2012, 08:17 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I moved my 247 from the livign room to the bedroom a little over a year ago because I needed more HDMI ports at my main TV, AND I got tired of dealing with the audio delays upon switching sources or even channels, HDMI handshaking issues, and I also had some input switching issues with the 247.

That being said, I have not found a receiver that sounds as good as HK. I was thinking of picking up a new HK AVR 3600 for about $600, but I’m worried that the same issues still exist. I was never able to upgrade my firmware on the 247. As far as the new line of HK receivers…I’ll pass.

Any thoughts? Right now I have a lower-end Marantz in my living room. While it comes close to sounding like the HK, it just doesn’t have quite as much “punch” as the 247 did.
post #5217 of 5258 Old 09-20-2012, 09:11 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't kept up with what HK is doing these days, so I can't give good advice.

But aren't there some discussions of the various newer HKs here? They should be a good source for info and issues just as this discussion thread has been over the years. That said, I would think that any HDMI issues should have been solved by now, even if the spec was designed by a committee of blithering idiots.

My 247 is connected to fairly new equipment and I have no HDMI issues with it at all. My BluRay player is very good at figuring out that the 247 doesn't decode some of the newer codecs and auto switches itself to ouputting LPCM in those cases, so that isn't an issue. The other stuff I use it with isn't all the hairy about the sound codecs anyway, so they aren't an issue either. Of course, if I had a 3D TV I wouldn't expect the 247 to just pass it along since that is much newer than the 247. That said, at 1080i/p with 3D, since the 247 just basically gets out of the way of the video, it might handle it just fine.

On video, I did a lot of shuffling around with resolutions just to see what was what. Here's what I observed.

1. The AppleTV (version 2) only does a max of 720p, so no changes here. And the video from it looks much better via the 247 than it did with the Sony as the 247s video stuff @720p is a very good thing.

2. With the DirecTV HDDVRs, I found that they look better to my eyes at 720p than they do at 1080i. I actually was a bit surprised at that, but pleasantly so. So I have those units set to 720p or 1080p (for VOD or PPV) resolutions only. Note the 1080i is the max that those units will do with all of the channels, only VOD and PPVs are done in 1080p sometimes.

3. The HDDVR looks better in 720p also.

Lloyd
post #5218 of 5258 Old 10-24-2012, 12:04 AM

Does anyone know if the optical output on the 247 supports 5.1 channel output? I'm buying some surround sound headphones and want to know if I can just hook up the optical in on their receiver to the out of my AVR to avoid having to manually switch the cord between my devices.

HD-DVD: 55 / Blu-ray: 83
newest: Brotherhood of the Wolf / Battlestar Galactica (series), TDKR Part 2, Ip Man 2

AVR: Marantz SR6006

F/C/R: Polk RTi A9's / CSi A6 / Speakercraft AIMWIDE 3

Sub: SVS PB12-NSD

Samsung PN58C8000 Samsung BD-P2550, Toshiba HD-A30, SA 8240HDC, Xbox360 Elite, PS3, WDTV Live

post #5219 of 5258 Old 10-24-2012, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemetblk View Post

Does anyone know if the optical output on the 247 supports 5.1 channel output? I'm buying some surround sound headphones and want to know if I can just hook up the optical in on their receiver to the out of my AVR to avoid having to manually switch the cord between my devices.

The Digital Out for the 24/347 is cascaded with the Digital In, any digital audio stream coming in as an input (coax or optical) is also outputted..

Just my $0.02... wink.gif
post #5220 of 5258 Old 11-08-2012, 02:34 PM

Just upgraded from an Apple TV2 to an Apple TV3. Connected to AVR247 via HDMI. The new Apple TV will not play now. Picture jumps in and out, black screen, static screen, etc. Reconfigured the Apple TV3 to 720p and it works now. Shouldn't the AVR 247 handle the 1080p??
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors