Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread. - Page 176 - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Receivers, Amps, and Processors > Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread.

Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Bobx101's Avatar Bobx101
06:06 AM Liked: 10
post #5251 of 5258
10-08-2013 | Posts: 7
Joined: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbobster View Post

Hello Bobx101

Receiver uses spdif, I think you should give it a go with the optical, can't damage anything. Just the signal wouldn't lock.

Regards

SPDIF - that's what I needed to know. Thanks a bunch. Now I just need an RCA-to-optical adapter......this is going to be uber cool....digital out from my source, through the HK's DACs...nice.

Thanks again.
TheAngryPenguin's Avatar TheAngryPenguin
07:20 PM Liked: 10
post #5252 of 5258
10-20-2013 | Posts: 46
Joined: Jul 2009
Proud new owner of a 247. Got it from CL for $60. The previous owner stated that it started going into PROTECT mode whenever he stressed the amp. I immediately performed a factory reset when I got it home, and it has yet to go back into PROTECT mode. The sound is so much warmer than my Yamaha HTR-5640, and I really needed HDMI switching (ordered a 3-way pigtail from Monoprice). So, my questions are:

EzSet/EQ
The first 3 or 4 times I attempted it, the mic was placed in my preferred listening position. The first bursts of pink noise were slow, and it errored out stating that there was a problem with my speaker(s). Thinking I may have reversed the wiring, I switched the front-left speaker's polarity and ran it again. Still got an error. Just for shits and giggles, I positioned the mic about 6' in front of my listening position and the first bursts of pink noise were much quicker than previous attempts. The process completed, but I ran it again, moving the mic back to my listening position after the first few quicker bursts completed. Is this to be expected?

EzSet/EQ - Subwoofer Configuration
Where should I set the subwoofer's level, crossover, and polarity so that I can get the best results?
CasetheCVetteman's Avatar CasetheCVetteman
10:53 PM Liked: 10
post #5253 of 5258
10-27-2013 | Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 2010
Im amazed this thread is still going after so long!! smile.gif

I bought my H/K AVR347 many years ago, a few months prior to the 355 replacing it.

I have never ever had one single issue with it, it still works perfectly, and for many years served as the primary AVR in my home, recently has been swapped to the bedroom setup now where the AVR360 used to reside.

The sound on the 360 is basically identical from all I can tell, the reason I ended up swapping over was the extra couple HDMI inputs, the 347 only has 2.

Great to see so many others happy with these AVRs, ive never looked back since switching cool.gif
francismanapat's Avatar francismanapat
01:40 AM Liked: 10
post #5254 of 5258
11-27-2013 | Posts: 13
Joined: Nov 2013

Good day. i hope you guys can assist me on my issue. i have an avr247 receiver connected to an LG smart tv via optical cable. i use the tv as the mp3 player and the avr247 as my sound output. i like using "logic 7 music" as my default surround when playing mp3s. my problem is, everytime the next track plays, it goes back to "surround off - stereo". i dont prefer this mode. i prefer "logic 7 music". auto polling is set to "off" already. default surround mode is already set to "off". my firmware is 2.4.22.1. date is 02-02-2008 02. thanks in advance.


CasetheCVetteman's Avatar CasetheCVetteman
10:11 PM Liked: 10
post #5255 of 5258
12-08-2013 | Posts: 22
Joined: Jun 2010
Set the default sound mode to Logic 7, youd be better off with a better MP3 player though, the reason for it is too long between tracks, the AVR will default back to the signal its getting and play in stereo.
ronnbot's Avatar ronnbot
11:23 AM Liked: 10
post #5256 of 5258
01-07-2014 | Posts: 21
Joined: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabril View Post

1) I still own a set of Bose Acoustimass speakers (5 cubes and the bass module), and I'm not in the position to replace them yet. I know they are overrated and a pain, but they sound ok. After a recent move, I re-installed everything, and I would like to know if anyone else has Bose speakers connected to the 347, and what settings you chose for the speaker setup. We all know that the bass module processes and equalizes the sound, so I'm sure the AVR's EZSetup gets "fooled" by the equalized sound (or maybe not). I've read other threads linking the 2 (347 and Bose), and most start by saying to replace the Bose speakers and to get real speakers. As I said, I cant do that at this time, and I''d like to enjoy them a bit longer. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
 

 

Since all 5 channels go through the bass module and out to the satellites, I'd set the fronts, centre and surrounds as large and sub as none. Because it is essentially 5.0 setup, you can't use the EZSetup and need to manually configure the rest of the settings. Since there is no sub (as the receiver sees it), the LFE (.1 channel) will be diverted to the front speakers where their lower frequency is generated from the bass module, so you don't loose any LFE. Therefore, you shouldn't need an additional sub unless you want way more bass. 

 

I know it's a late reply, but it may help others.


jang1a's Avatar jang1a
03:32 AM Liked: 10
post #5257 of 5258
02-27-2014 | Posts: 73
Joined: Dec 2007
I sure hope someone is still monitoring this thread. I had this recent urge to control my Harman Kardon 247 via Eventghost, via rs232. This way, I can have my pc orchestrate proper timing in turning on my TV, AVR 247, before starting XBMC. I was told having the 247 connected to the PC via serial is the best way to go.

Is anyone doing this? Where are the serial codes for avr247? It will be great if someone here has actually gotten AVR247 to work with Eventghost. I have a lot of questions that I could use some help.

Thanks
M Code's Avatar M Code
09:21 AM Liked: 133
post #5258 of 5258
02-27-2014 | Posts: 9,963
Joined: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by jang1a View Post

I sure hope someone is still monitoring this thread. I had this recent urge to control my Harman Kardon 247 via Eventghost, via rs232. This way, I can have my pc orchestrate proper timing in turning on my TV, AVR 247, before starting XBMC. I was told having the 247 connected to the PC via serial is the best way to go.

Is anyone doing this? Where are the serial codes for avr247? It will be great if someone here has actually gotten AVR247 to work with Eventghost. I have a lot of questions that I could use some help.

Thanks

Not possible..
Since the 247 is now > 7 years old, HK did not provide any control codes in their lower range AVRs..
The RS232 port was for firmware upgrading...

Just my $0.05.. 👍😉
jang1a's Avatar jang1a
02:06 AM Liked: 10
post #5259 of 5258
02-28-2014 | Posts: 73
Joined: Dec 2007
I hope you're wrong biggrin.gif Just kidding. I was hoping there would be codes. That may be the reason why I was sending it codes for other Harman equipment, but it's not responding.
dinofly
06:36 AM Liked: 0
post #5260 of 5258
07-05-2014 | Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 2014
Hello, sorry for the gravedig.
I have a 247 with the "traditional" 1080p sparkle issue.
I know i'm completely out of warranty after 7 years , so i need the original PDF repair file that once was linked here: Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread.
Looks like it's o more not available on HK network, so does anyone have a backup copy?
samiaksoy
10:24 AM Liked: 0
post #5261 of 5258
11-09-2014 | Posts: 1
Joined: Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam1000 View Post
Hi:

I have waited for months for this firmware, but I'm having some issues getting the firmware upgraded. I have already used 2 different laptops with 2 different rs-232 cables.

Every time I try the upgrade, I get the following message after hitting the "upgrade" button

"Please enter a valid Flash Image File".

Has anyone else noticed this?

The funny thing is, when I try to go back to previous steps where you select the directory with upgrade files, the s24 and hex filenames are blanked out, although it does have the correct folder name in there(c:\\Harmankardon\\AVRx47).

I have win2000 installed on both PCs. I know that the communication is happening between the receiver and the PC because, when I pushed the Tone button on my avr to reset the receiver, I got some data back in the hyperterminal window. (I know this reset is different that rs-232 reset, which is part of the upgrade process).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks..
Hi Sam1010 !

I have HK AVR 347 and need help. By updating i have got same problem "Please enter a valid Flash Image File". Can you help me?

Thank you!
baily's Avatar baily
07:32 AM Liked: 10
post #5262 of 5258
11-22-2014 | Posts: 52
Joined: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by jang1a 

I sure hope someone is still monitoring this thread. I had this recent urge to control my Harman Kardon 247 via Eventghost, via rs232. This way, I can have my pc orchestrate proper timing in turning on my TV, AVR 247, before starting XBMC. I was told having the 247 connected to the PC via serial is the best way to go.

Is anyone doing this? Where are the serial codes for avr247? It will be great if someone here has actually gotten AVR247 to work with Eventghost. I have a lot of questions that I could use some help.

Thanks


Not possible..
Since the 247 is now > 7 years old, HK did not provide any control codes in their lower range AVRs..
The RS232 port was for firmware upgrading...

Just my $0.05.. 👍😉
Sorry for ressurecting an old thread for an old receiver. I have an AVR 347 and just wanted to confirm the situation is the same as the 247 regarding remote codes. I finally upgraded to a Samsung TV that is 3D capable and smart, so while I don't watch 3D, I want to make sure the AVR has no issues with passthrough, since it is pre-3D. I routed my blu-ray player straight to the TV via HDMI and use optical out to send audio from TV back to the receiver, but the TV's smart remotes can't seem to control the AVR 347 at all, no matter what model number I enter.

I'm going to assume this is an exercise in futility and is not possible, but wanted to make sure before I gave up.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3