Harman Kardon AVR 247 & 347 discussion thread. - Page 25 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 5256 Old 10-08-2007, 11:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a Toshiba HD-A2 HD Dvd player hooked through my 247 and while viewing DVD's (HD or Normal) I lose video but the audio remains after about a minute or two. I just tried hooking the HD-A2 right to the HL67 (Tosh LCD 42") via HDMI and it doesn't seem to have the issue. Does anyone have any idea why the Receiver might be losing video? Everything is hooked up via HDMI cables.

Corey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 5256 Old 10-08-2007, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

I just bought a 247 (upgrade from an avr 135). After running ez eq I noticed in surround mode,the center channel sounds very tinny and the only way to correct it is to do a reset... Does this mean have a bad unit? Also, the FM tuner is not as sensitive as my older H/K. Any ideas?? Thanks-

I had the EXACT thing happen to me on the one I just purchased a month ago! It is actually the second one I got. The first one wouldn't power on.

With the new one, I messed with it for days before I did a reset and DIDN'T run the EQ. I've read and searched these forums and hadnt heard anyone have that problem until now. The sound was fine on Blu-ray PCM, but any Dolby Digital 5.1 had this problem.. I don't know if it is a glitch in some 247s and the EZ Setup or what. I just manual configured and it is running perfectly. Out of curiousity, do you have Polk speakers?

Also... I'm not sure if you've realized this by now, but you are reading my sig.
post #723 of 5256 Old 10-08-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Speaking of the EZ set EQ. Is it just me or does the test tones run unusually LOUD, to the point where it hurts your ears and might possibly damage your speakers. On other receivers, even though the volume is set to "0", it's not really all that loud, but on HK it is.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #724 of 5256 Old 10-09-2007, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

ClevelandRob, Thanks for the reply. I was beginning to think I was the only one with this problem! After the reset DD sounds fine, The FM tuner is pretty bad compared to my older HK, Also, it seems my 2 channel stereo after the reset does not sound as good as before. I'm running three Anthony Gallo A'diva Ti's across the front.

Scan not a friend with a microscopic glass. you know his faults, let his foibles pass.
post #725 of 5256 Old 10-09-2007, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandRob View Post

I had the EXACT thing happen to me on the one I just purchased a month ago! It is actually the second one I got. The first one wouldn't power on.

With the new one, I messed with it for days before I did a reset and DIDN'T run the EQ. I've read and searched these forums and hadnt heard anyone have that problem until now. The sound was fine on Blu-ray PCM, but any Dolby Digital 5.1 had this problem.. I don't know if it is a glitch in some 247s and the EZ Setup or what. I just manual configured and it is running perfectly. Out of curiousity, do you have Polk speakers?

Same thing happened to me. The 247 sounded great out of the box, but after running the EZSet, the center channel sounded horrible. I thought maybe it had blown my center speaker, because I couldn't adjust it out. After resetting the 247, it was back to normal, and I then made some manual adjustments. Sounds great now.
post #726 of 5256 Old 10-09-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickster2 View Post

On the 347, the Zone 2 Remote operates as a miniature version of the full-sized remote when pointed at the AVR's primary IR Receiver. It's really designed to be used in a second room to which an IR receiver is run from the "second room" to the multi-room IR input on the back of the 347. When you do that, the "zone 2" remote pointed at the "remote" IR receiver controls only the multi-zone functions. Now, depending on what Harmony remote you have, you may be able to get satisfactory results on the 347 following the instructions I put here for how I set up my 890: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post11801465

On the 247, you can power toggle on/off the Multi-room with a "sequence" (I forget now because I exchanged my 247 for a 347, but a sequence does work for on/off as well as changing the multi-room inputs).

Good luck.

--Mav

Thanks,

I was able to make a MZ Power Toggle sequence on my Harmony 880.

Its not perfect but it seems to work ok most of the time.

I have each of my actiivities set to issue the MZ Power Toggle when activated and before shutdown.
post #727 of 5256 Old 10-09-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfklennon View Post

I just bought a 247 (upgrade from an avr 135). After running ez eq I noticed in surround mode,the center channel sounds very tinny and the only way to correct it is to do a reset... Does this mean have a bad unit? Also, the FM tuner is not as sensitive as my older H/K. Any ideas?? Thanks-

I too had the same situation...I would say I second this...but apparantly you and I are not the only ones with the problem.

I just got my speaker wire installed yesterday and I listened to it before I ran EZ EQ and my system sounded full of bass and midrange (subwoofer on backorder at the moment). Then I ran EZ EQ...and first off, let me say that I agree that it is extremely loud and almost to the point of causing me fear for my speakers. It also seemed to run forever. Secondly, after it was finished I seemed to have lost a lot of bass and the higher ranges sounded very tinny and scratchy almost. I wasn't sure if it was me or not and didn't have time to read how to do a reset. At least I know it wasn't just in my head.

I don't know if not having the subwoofer has anything to do with it, but I'm willing to say that if others are having the same problem it's not likely.

Oh well...I was planning on picking up Avia and a SPL meter anways. Other than that...holy moly is it neat having "true" surround sound as opposed to my old receiver that had simple prologic over RCA's.

Makes me happy
post #728 of 5256 Old 10-10-2007, 11:19 AM

I was planning on using the 347 as my primary HT receiver and using the FL/FR pre-out to run to an AVR-147 to power two other rooms. The AVR-147 doesn't have a pre-in so would it work OK if the 347 fed into the CD IN and I just left the 147 set to CD? Any other suggestions?
post #729 of 5256 Old 10-10-2007, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis M View Post

Then it's probably a receiver issue. Exchange it where you purchased it or if you can't do that, give a call to HK and they will set you up.

Follow up: I think it was an inductance problem caused by a nearby power cable. I moved away the cable feeding the power strip and my problems went away.
post #730 of 5256 Old 10-10-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

I just got the AVR 247 from Best Buy for $127. Kinda. Heyooooooo! Wink! ;-)

It was open box for $449, then the sales manager knocked off another 50 bucks since it was last discounted last month, and then used a $300 gift card I won at work, and paid the rest in cash.

The beauty of it all? The box had been opened once. That's it. Never used. Completely brand new.

If I wasn't into home theater, I'd have a whole lotta money.
post #731 of 5256 Old 10-10-2007, 02:19 PM

Nice work kevin!

I have a website, but apparently I can't put it here. WTF?
post #732 of 5256 Old 10-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Advanced Member

I just feel dumb for not having made the decision to get an HK earlier. This thing has EVERYTHING I need, it looks gorgeous, and it'll go perfectly with my JBL speakers.

I can't believe I was gonna get a Sony receiver. :-O

post #733 of 5256 Old 10-10-2007, 06:40 PM

Should I go with the HD A30 or the A35 with the 247 receiver? I kind of rushed my purchases and bought the 247. I really want to get TrueHD so what to you guys say??

Thanks in advance!
post #734 of 5256 Old 10-10-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
You'll get TrueHD with either of those players as part of the HDDVD spec requires that the player decode it and send it out via HDMI as LPCM 5.1. That will mate up quite well with the 247

The downside is that there aren't many HDDVD disks encoded with TrueHD. Blame the lazy studios.

Lloyd
post #735 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCFKevin View Post

I just got the AVR 247 from Best Buy for $127. Kinda. Heyooooooo! Wink! ;-)

It was open box for $449, then the sales manager knocked off another 50 bucks since it was last discounted last month, and then used a $300 gift card I won at work, and paid the rest in cash.

The beauty of it all? The box had been opened once. That's it. Never used. Completely brand new.

wow, that's awesome. so jealous. what other gear you got?
post #736 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by airmax617 View Post

Should I go with the HD A30 or the A35 with the 247 receiver? I kind of rushed my purchases and bought the 247. I really want to get TrueHD so what to you guys say??

Thanks in advance!

I have a H/K 247 and just recently got a Toshiba A30. They pair up nicely. PCM over HDMI. Will not allow any DSP/Logic7 processing but honestly it sounds so good I cannot imagine wanting to mess with it with DSP effects.

Sounds amazing.

I would have to say the H/K 247 is perhaps my most enjoyable electronics purchase in quite some time.
post #737 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymart View Post

I was planning on using the 347 as my primary HT receiver and using the FL/FR pre-out to run to an AVR-147 to power two other rooms. The AVR-147 doesn't have a pre-in so would it work OK if the 347 fed into the CD IN and I just left the 147 set to CD? Any other suggestions?

Am I the only person that has this question??? Do I need to go with a different receiver other than the 147 (one with a Pre-In)???
post #738 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 11:52 AM

I have yet another issue with my 247. I have my cable box and PS3 hooked up via HDMI. The issue that I have is my audio will cut out sometimes on my cable box on HDMI 1. Earlier I had the same issue only it was video and audio. It will cut out on for about 2 seconds then come back on. It never happened on HDMI 2 which is my PS3. I figured out the issue was my HDMI cable to the cable box from my reciver. I replaced the HDMI cable and worked great for about 2 days. Now the audio will cut out randomly again. It happens when I am watching mostly HD channels and it happens in the middle of a show so it isn't in between commercials and tv. I can't figure it out. Does anyone think that it is a reciever issue? Any help would be apprieciated and if you need any clarification then let me know.
post #739 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweendog101 View Post

I have yet another issue with my 247. I have my cable box and PS3 hooked up via HDMI. The issue that I have is my audio will cut out sometimes on my cable box on HDMI 1. Earlier I had the same issue only it was video and audio. It will cut out on for about 2 seconds then come back on. It never happened on HDMI 2 which is my PS3. I figured out the issue was my HDMI cable to the cable box from my reciver. I replaced the HDMI cable and worked great for about 2 days. Now the audio will cut out randomly again. It happens when I am watching mostly HD channels and it happens in the middle of a show so it isn't in between commercials and tv. I can't figure it out. Does anyone think that it is a reciever issue? Any help would be apprieciated and if you need any clarification then let me know.

I had an HDMI problem too, it seems to be pretty finnicky. I was getting corrupted pixels sometimes with 1080p video on my PS3. I think my problem was having a power cable too close to the HDMI cable. I moved the power cabling further away and it works fine now. See if that works for you.
post #740 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonicks View Post

I had an HDMI problem too, it seems to be pretty finnicky. I was getting corrupted pixels sometimes with 1080p video on my PS3. I think my problem was having a power cable too close to the HDMI cable. I moved the power cabling further away and it works fine now. See if that works for you.

Do you mean moving the HDMI cable one way and the Power cable the other way. Arent the power jack and the HDMI jack close together?
post #741 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 01:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

wow, that's awesome. so jealous. what other gear you got?

Right now, only my TV (Sony 40v2500 40 inch 1080p LCD) and HD DVD player (HD-A20) but I'll soon partner the 247 with JBL Venue speakers. And I can't WAIT. I intend to get a piece a week.

post #742 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 02:50 PM

Hi everyone! This is my first post on these forums but I have been lurking for over a month. You guys have been really helpful. After originally purchasing and returning a sony HTIB which wasn't great, then a sony STRDG 710 and the JBL SCS500.5 speaker package, I finally settled on the following components:

AVR: H/K AVR 247
Center: JBL Venue Voice
Fronts: JBL Venue Stage
Surrounds: JBL Venue Monitor
Sub: JBL Venue 10"
TV: LG 42" 42PC3D (768p Plasma)
DVD: Phillips 5960/37

I have a few questions about setting it all up:

1) The EZ Setup sets my fronts and center as small with the cross over set at 200hz. My surrounds get set to large with a crossover of 40hz. This seamed very off so I set all channels to small and set the XO for everything to a 100hz. Would the fronts get set to large? Should everything get set to large?

2) I am looking to get a logitech harmony 550. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the remote. Does it retain all functionality of the original remote? Is there a database I can look at to see if my components are there? I searched around but could not find one.

Thanks in advance for any help!
post #743 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Advanced Member

I would say the fronts get set to large and the rears small, no?

I'm reading that the EZ setup screws up the configuration quite a bit.

post #744 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Don't use the EZ set. I think that piece of crap blew a driver in my RTi8s. It's stupidly loud, and I'd be afraid of it damaging my speakers.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #745 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGkev1001 View Post

Hi everyone! This is my first post on these forums but I have been lurking for over a month. You guys have been really helpful. After originally purchasing and returning a sony HTIB which wasn't great, then a sony STRDG 710 and the JBL SCS500.5 speaker package, I finally settled on the following components:

AVR: H/K AVR 247
Center: JBL Venue Voice
Fronts: JBL Venue Stage
Surrounds: JBL Venue Monitor
Sub: JBL Venue 10"
TV: LG 42" 42PC3D (768p Plasma)
DVD: Phillips 5960/37

I have a few questions about setting it all up:

1) The EZ Setup sets my fronts and center as small with the cross over set at 200hz. My surrounds get set to large with a crossover of 40hz. This seamed very off so I set all channels to small and set the XO for everything to a 100hz. Would the fronts get set to large? Should everything get set to large?

2) I am looking to get a logitech harmony 550. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the remote. Does it retain all functionality of the original remote? Is there a database I can look at to see if my components are there? I searched around but could not find one.

Thanks in advance for any help!

i just set up a refurbshed 745 i got off ebay for a nice deal... not as good as ucfkevin's deal though :P

anyway, i also used the EZset (II) for the 745 and it also set my surrounds as large, and the L/C/R as small with a crossover of 100. i think HK receivers like to do it this way when they measure a sub near the front soundstage... i.e. they set a high crossover so the sub (if it's in the front) will take relatively high frequencies, some that could normally be handled by the loudspeakers.

now since my sub is near my L/C/R speakers (the HK knew through EZset), it didn't want to localize sounds for the surround speakers through the sub as well, so it set them to large.

theoretically, i think this may be what it is trying to do. basically EZset sends all lower frequencies for the left/center/right speakers (even if they could handle them...) to the sub, by setting them as small with a high crossover. it doesn't want to send those frequencies out of the surround speakers, so those are set to large.

remember, again, that this is based on my setup where the EZset knew my sub is at the front of the room pretty much under my L/C/R speakers. so this is why it might be doing it this way for me, and maybe for you... just a hypothesis though, so don't take it as gospel.

with regards to question #2, my 745 came with a HK TC-30, which is a logitech 550/880 clone, and it works beautifully. as well as the stock remote (which was also included), if not better. and it's all the same hardware, so i'm sure a harmony remote would work great.
post #746 of 5256 Old 10-11-2007, 06:05 PM

another note: i forgot to say this, but i didnt end up using the EZset settings. it sounded alright, i guess, but not the way i like it to sound. im pretty sure my axiom m3's can sound better between 80-100 than my HSU sub does, and im pretty sure my axiom m2 surrounds are not large in any way, and wouldnt be able to take those low frequencies anyway. i just set the crossover all around at 80.

the ez set actually measured speaker distances and set channel levels pretty accurately for my room, except i boosted the LFE a little bit
post #747 of 5256 Old 10-12-2007, 06:36 AM
AVS Special Member

The EzSet on my 247 didn't do a very good job setting my speaker sizes or crossovers. It set the mains to large, 40hz...center to large, 60hz and surrounds to small, 80hz....and the Sub crossover set to match the surrounds.

The distances and level gains came out pretty good but I had to manually go back and set everything to small and set the correct crossovers.

My speakers are older Klipsch...KSF 10.5 mains, C5 center and S1 surrounds.
post #748 of 5256 Old 10-12-2007, 05:55 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I configured everything to large and set my XO to 80 for the mains and 100 for everything else. I set the subwoofer to L/R/LFE. This is the way it sounded best to me, though I only listened to a few songs off my ipod (the bridge kicks butt) and watched 300. Also one of the drivers in the center amazon sent me is shot so pretty much all dialog sounds awful. Once I get that sorted I will probably pick up a test disk and configure it properly. This system kicks the crap out of any of the HTIB's I heard and was only 770.00... it's amazing the deals you can get if you look hard enough.
post #749 of 5256 Old 10-13-2007, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGkev1001 View Post

I configured everything to large and set my XO to 80 for the mains and 100 for everything else. I set the subwoofer to L/R/LFE.

That should read:

I configured everything to small and set my XO to 80 for the mains and 100 for everything else. I set the subwoofer to Sub:LFE.
post #750 of 5256 Old 10-14-2007, 05:28 PM

With the upscaling problems people seem to be having with their 247, would you recommend something else when hooking it up to a 1080p TV? Do the Onkyo 605 or Yamaha RX-V661 handle it any better?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page