Confused on Onkyo listening modes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-06-2007, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok currently my main player is an hd-a1 connected hdmi...and i have the 605...

when watching hd-dvds the choices are obviously limited on the listening modes to multi channel and direct--what are the differences there? which one should i use...

I have a 7.1 set up so for SD discs I like to matrix the rears if there is no discrete 6.1 or 7.1 option...

So for dolby should i set listening mode to dolby ex...

and what about dts? dts es?

when would you use pliix?

And what is the difference between surround and listening modes?

Sorry for all the q's but the choices seemed a littler clearer on my previous pioneer...

My Basement Home Theater

Now proud owner of an hd-a35 and a
panasonic blu ray 10a and BD35 -format neutral was fun while it lasted :)

My DVD/HD-DVD/Blu Collection
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2007, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcx View Post

Ok currently my main player is an hd-ai connected hdmi...and i have the 605...

when watching hd-dvds the choices are obviously limited on the listening modes to multi channel and direct--what are the differences there? which one should i use...

I have a 7.1 set up so for SD discs I like to matrix the rears if there is no discrete 6.1 or 7.1 option...

So for dolby should i set listening mode to dolby ex...

and what about dts? dts es?

when would you use pliix?

And what is the difference between surround and listening modes?

Sorry for all the q's but the choices seemed a littler clearer on my previous pioneer...

I'm assuming you are asking about the preset listening modes. The default is Last Valid for the different decoding modes the receiver can handle. It all depends on what default listening mode you want. I set all the modes for Direct, except for DD and DTS, which I set to DD and DTS. So when either of my DVD players are not outputing DD or DTS, it defaults to Direct.

Search the 805 owners thread for Listening Modes. See what others have their's set to.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 118
I don't own that AVR, but in general...

All digital sources require a specific decoder to convert the bits into something usable. The two most common digitial decodes are Dolby Digital and DTS.

Older matrixed sources such as Dolby Pro Logic soundtracks require a matrix decoder such as DPLIIx to extract the various channels.

AVRs usually allow processing beyond the initial decoding or dematrixing. For example, 5.1 digital soundtracks can be expanded using something like the DPLIIx decoder.

My point is that some of those options you mentioned aren't mutally exclusive.

Mostly you can just select the automatic modes. If you have a 7.1 speaker setup, you may want to choose the mode(s) which can convert a 5.1 soundtrack to 7.1. Some soundtracks are already 7.1, and you may need to properly set the mode to hear those as intended. Which is where DTS ES or Dolby Digital EX decoders come into play.

For more information see Dolby's or DTS's webpage.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 07-06-2007, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

thanks guys....

My Basement Home Theater

Old 07-09-2007, 09:28 AM - Thread Starter

As a follow up I guess what I am really asking is if I select say dolby ex, or dts es as a listening mode, will that matrix the 5.1 to 7.1 or is it only looking for a discrete 6.1/7.1 mix?

My Basement Home Theater

Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Should be easy to figure out. Put in a DVD with a standard 5.1 DD soundtrack, select the mode you think works, and see if it plays from the rear surrounds.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Old 07-09-2007, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

As a follow up I guess what I am really asking is if I select say dolby ex, or dts es as a listening mode, will that matrix the 5.1 to 7.1 or is it only looking for a discrete 6.1/7.1 mix?

You can not select DTS ES as a "listening mode". If the disc is encoded with DTS ES (and you play that track), that's what you will get (unless you choose to down-grade it to stereo or something else). You can not choose DTS- ES on the receiver unless that track is on the DVD, and you tell the DVD that you want to use that track (in the DVD menu).

If you want to add to 5.1 (such as "plain" DTS or plain Dolby digital 5.1) so that all of your speakers engage in a 7.1 system, you generally have several choices with the Onkyo (and most receivers), including:

1. dolby ex

2. PLIIx

3. THX Cinema

Generally, your best bet for expanding 5.1 to 7.1 will be PLIIx -- it will derive a stereo rear channel for your rear surrrounds. THX does more of a mono derivation for the rear surrounds (and EX and THX are similar in how they work).

Note that you are ADDING PLIIx post-processing to DD 5.1 (or DTS 5.1) -- you are not replacing DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1 with pro logic.

Note that you will not have the ability to add post-processing (other than THX) to DTS-ES. You can do that (add PLIIx post-processing) to Dolby Digital EX tracks.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks you caesar 1--that clears it up fo rme---

a few followups--if the disc actuallt has a dolby ex track would the ex choice be better at that point htan the PLIIx?

When listening to HD tarcks through HDMI is multichannel or direct the best choice?

My Basement Home Theater

Old 07-09-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks you caesar 1--that clears it up fo rme---

a few followups--if the disc actuallt has a dolby ex track would the ex choice be better at that point htan the PLIIx?

When listening to HD tarcks through HDMI is multichannel or direct the best choice?

As far as whether EX is a better choice when the track is EX flagged is really a personal choice. For me, I always add PLIIx to Dolby Digital EX tracks. Since EX does not give you stereo rear channels, while PLIIx can.

Basically, the only time my receiver's display doesn't read PLIIx is when its a DTS ES track.

I don't have an HD DVD player, but I believe you want multi-channel. Direct simply plays whatever is input (without additional processing) -- so it may be exactly the same as choosing multi-channel. But then if the multi-channel track is 5.1 (and not 7.1) -- you won't be able to add PLIIx to it (or any other post-processing) - so your rear surrounds won't engage.

So I believe multi-channel will give you more options, and thus is the better choice.

I could be wrong though, as I have never heard/seen an HD or blu-ray player in action with the Onkyo.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Better choice????

Well, the way I see it...
It's all your software, you paid for it, use it how you wish by the way it sounds to you.