Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 12991 Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1fuller68 View Post

Just spoke with Gramaphone in Maryland and they are already sold out of there first allocation units. They stated that if I wanted one by mid August to get on the list.

Are you saying that that have received their first allocation and they are all gone already or that they have sold all of their first allotment but they have not yet shown up?

Frank

GO Red Wings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 12991 Old 07-20-2007, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerley View Post

Are you saying that that have received their first allocation and they are all gone already or that they have sold all of their first allotment but they have not yet shown up?

You are correct on your last statment. They don't receive the first shipment until next Friday. I guess, I'll wait until the we hear some reports since I won't be in the first allotment.

M1
post #363 of 12991 Old 07-20-2007, 06:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeterex View Post

I would have to think that removing the amps from the chasis would go a long way in reducing radiated noise in the receiver vs the pre-pro , even if the amps are only idling, no?

True to a certain extent but a more effective approach is to reduce the internal emissions of the digital circuitry. If I were a designer I'd spray a EMI/RFI absorption coating onto the interior of the chassis and outdo the Arcam Stealth Mat.
post #364 of 12991 Old 07-20-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by reincarnate View Post

True to a certain extent but a more effective approach is to reduce the internal emissions of the digital circuitry. If I were a designer I'd spray a EMI/RFI absorption coating onto the interior of the chassis and outdo the Arcam Stealth Mat.

I would fill the cavity with Micro-ballons filled with Helium. Then pour a gallon of epoxy resin into the preamp....then enclose it in a Faradyne Cage
post #365 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 12:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 814
Nope...maple syrup.
Everything is better after being coated with maple syrup.

A.P.S. deserve our protection....join the cause today!
post #366 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 01:57 AM

Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm hoping someone can answer the following.
I'm based in Australia & it looks like we won't be getting the 9.8 over here.
I understand I will need a step down transformer. Does anyone know if there will be any issues with the video side of things. ie PAL/NTSC , 50/60 hz
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
FG
post #367 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengilly View Post

should I get two if I can? Depending when ours arrive.

If somebody cant get one let me know, Ill try to help them out.
post #368 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengilly View Post

If somebody cant get one let me know, Ill try to help them out.

Just be sure you don't get mine! Steve may have ordered a good number of units, but there's no guarantee that he will receive them all in his first allocation.
post #369 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 08:18 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy View Post

I would fill the cavity with Micro-ballons filled with Helium. Then pour a gallon of epoxy resin into the preamp....then enclose it in a Faradyne Cage

Faraday would be upset.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #370 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Faraday would be upset.

You never heard of the Faradyn Cage Company......they build Faraday Cages, oh I forgot, and Micro Ballons filled with Helium
post #371 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgun View Post

Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie to the forum. I'm hoping someone can answer the following.
I'm based in Australia & it looks like we won't be getting the 9.8 over here.
I understand I will need a step down transformer. Does anyone know if there will be any issues with the video side of things. ie PAL/NTSC , 50/60 hz
Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks
FG

No panic; coming soon the european and british models that work fine in Australia
post #372 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Faraday would be upset.

I wonder why the HDMI circuitry is always encased in a metal shield?

Maybe designer used better grounding and shielding techniques the gear would sound more like analog? Kal you know I hate to have to compensate for the missed opportunity here to edjacate?

By the way I've got a $4K Krell pre-amp whose digital section sounds quite harsh compared to the exquisite Denon DN-A71000 A/V controller which also includes balanced inputs and outputs.
http://www.marantzpro.com/users/getd...DownloadID=383

What separates the 9.8 from the Onyko receiver fans? Most of you guys, to your credit listed sound quality.
However the 9.8 is missing the 905's most important Ethernet music streaming from your new 500-1TB hard drive. I'll probably use MediaMonkey which does lossless ripping and is a librarian too.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

Spend wisely and future proof thyself
post #373 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 06:06 PM

Just in case you haven't seen it, there's a thread going with input from people who have the Onkyo 875 in their hands. Some early indications as to what the Reon is like-- I'm assuming the one in the 9.8 will have similar capabilities.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=876635
post #374 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm glad you mentioned the ethernet music streaming ability of the 905 Reincarnate, as that is the only feature I've been wishing the 9.8 has.

Given this hiccup, what is likely the easiest way to shuffle music from a pc's harddrives to the 9.8? Use the xbox360? Ipod? PS3? I checked that mediamonkey app but missed any literature it might list explaining the process. Any help is appreciated.

BTW, I'm also in the same boat as a few of you with regards to ordering.
I've called every dealer listed on the Integra website in MA and NH and
no one will be stocking it. Special orders at full msrp +tax (in MA) paid prior to the order. Where's the love in that?

ps3- pdp7 ### avs folding team- 55280
post #375 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdp7 View Post

I'm glad you mentioned the ethernet music streaming ability of the 905 Reincarnate, as that is the only feature I've been wishing the 9.8 has.

Given this hiccup, what is likely the easiest way to shuffle music from a pc's harddrives to the 9.8? Use the xbox360? Ipod? PS3? I checked that mediamonkey app but missed any literature it might list explaining the process. Any help is appreciated.

no one will be stocking it. Special orders at full msrp +tax (in MA) paid prior to the order. Where's the love in that?

Squeezebox!
post #376 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Companies used to be in business to provide a service to their customers. Here they treat customers like dirt. They are playing hardball, so what goes around comes around.
As for which music server to use, the situation is a big complicated mess. I'm no expert as I don't want to waste time on immature technology. My strategy is to keep it simple and stupid. The most important rules are no DRM (MS or Apple), lossless encoding and no proprietary file formats. FLAC appears to be the best encoding format. But the 905 only (?) decodes WMA format through the (Microsoft) "play for sure" interface. But Media Monkey includes file/format conversion utilities.
Since there is no 905 manual yet or user reports I don't have a clue of its capabilities or limitations. Be prepared to read through 10,000 posts over the next four months before making an informed decision.
post #377 of 12991 Old 07-21-2007, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Companies used to be in business to provide a service to their customers. Here they treat customers like dirt. They are playing hardball, so what goes around comes around.

The success of BB, Walmart, and wharehouse shippers have left surprisingly few customers who seem willing to pay for stocking , demoing , and servicing dealers, so many have turned into custom shops specializing in install, and buy what they need, if they have a showroom at all it's often "by appointment only". It's a chicken/egg arguement, but face it the enthusiasts here are a niche market.

I am going to put one of these out on display though as it may get those thinking "receiver" to start thinking "seperates".

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #378 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 03:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schadenfreude View Post

The success of BB, Walmart, and wharehouse shippers
I am going to put one of these out on display though as it may get those thinking "receiver" to start thinking "separates".

One small step for mankind. Thanks!
The root issue is combining capitalism with globalism. Here there is great collateral damage, especially at the individual level.
Completely unrelated, but did you see the pride of hungry lions ripping up the carcass on the Discovery Channel? The ruthless, mean and strong got the most reward. Afterwards the ruler stretched his paw out over the weaker ones, lest they not forget.
post #379 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 05:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

One small step for mankind. Thanks!
The root issue is combining capitalism with globalism. Here there is great collateral damage, especially at the individual level.
Completely unrelated, but did you see the pride of hungry lions ripping up the carcass on the Discovery Channel? The ruthless, mean and strong got the most reward. Afterwards the ruler stretched his paw out over the weaker ones, lest they not forget.

Actually, though, many of the local dealers are doing big Lion business as they have become more specialized and focused and stopped wasting their time. Who really gets hurt are the consumers who have seen all but the two extremes wiped out....my store does over 10 mil a year and is setting records every year for gross sales and profit (both dollars and percentage), it's those companies who tried to offer some service (real potential demo opportunities) and stay price competitive that lost (Tweeter, et al) . Most businesses like ours though are not focusing on staffing a place to allow switching between 4 differant $800 receivers and four differant $400/pr speakers . especially when that customer historically shows no loyalty to anything other than price. We rarely hear customers talk about pricing vs the competition (big box or Internet)because they want to listen and compare and they can't find the brands we have quite so easily around, and to our customers, really, we are the brand ...Tweeter guys , however, told me that they got pounded on price constantly as their brands are often sold by a vast array of dealers and their margins were just eroding away.

Quote:
Maybe someday in the future we will be able to quantify perceived Sound Quality .
(But not today....)

Earl Geddes Ph.D.
post #380 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:

If you do not use WMA Lossless, then my vote is for a Sonos ZP-80 and a handheld Controller 100. Love the Sonos stuff.
post #381 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 07:36 AM

Hello Forum....friggin'a, I am getting pre-purchase pre-pro jitters! This pre/pro is exactly what I have been looking for since I sold my Mc-12B.......man do I hope it holds up to all the hyper-hype. Here is a good'un for ya....will the 9.8 be available in 230volt/50hz guise????
I will purchase one write now, if so! Just about the ONLY thing missing is a balanced aes/ebu input.....and an extra sub output........but otherwise its perfect! WHAT are all the other manufacturers gonna do about this product????????????
post #382 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

My main concern regarding Reon is for games.

My TV has game-mode for deinterlacing (480i/1080i input) ... and it would be pretty annoying to have to turn the video processing on-and-off in the Integra, depending on what system/game I'm using (the video processing is global ... they really should add per-input configuration into the UI).

I would imagine scaling shouldn't be a problem ... especially 720p-1080p ... probably even 480p-1080p. Scaling is much faster than deinterlacing, so hopefully the Reon does a good job with that.

Otherwise, using Reon (at least what programmability Onkyo/Integra is allowing) for gaming may be kind of crap :/

Assuming it's possible, I'd really like to see Onkyo/Integra offer the following in the UI for scaling/deinterlacing - potentially as an upgrade to the firmware:

1) A toggle to use 'global' (as it is now), or per-input configuration

2) For each setting group (the global one, and then one for each input) ... the following should be offered:

* processing On/Off
* resolution
* normal/game
* noise reduction level (if in game mode, this would be defeated)

Other than the game mode (don't know if it is in there), that should all be possible at the UI level. It's just a little extra memory for some boolean values and an enumeration for the noise reduction level.
post #383 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 09:09 PM
AVS Special Member

So ... no one is concerned?
post #384 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin_HT View Post

Nope. Don't care about games.

R
post #385 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:

Nope! I don't play videogames.

The Hun
post #386 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 09:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I play video games but via my HTPC and not a game console.... so, I'm not as concerned as you would be.

Though I suppose I could find myself with a concern if my wife and I decide to try out the Wii and like it.
post #387 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Has ANYONE received one of these yet!!!
post #388 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 10:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Looks like the 875 has some handshaking issues... even with the TV and receiver turned on first as they usually should be for that damned HDCP to work properly.

And lip synch and noisy relay issues.

I can't wait to read some reports on the DTC 9.8 to see if these are flukes or if I'll be waiting for the next pre-pro to come along that doesn't cost thousands of dollars.

These are a heck of a lot bigger issues than what it does with high sampling rates that will probably get used rarely.

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
post #389 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post

Looks like the 875 has some handshaking issues... even with the TV and receiver turned on first as they usually should be for that damned HDCP to work properly.

And lip synch and noisy relay issues.

I can't wait to read some reports on the DTC 9.8 to see if these are flukes or if I'll be waiting for the next pre-pro to come along that doesn't cost thousands of dollars.

Yeah ... I'm hoping these get resolved ... especially the handshaking.

Granted, the noisy relays aren't a deal-breaker for me if it doesn't happen during actual viewing/playing.

As far as lip-synch errors ... I thought the 9.8 has per-input programmable delay?
post #390 of 12991 Old 07-22-2007, 11:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 315 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Lip synch errors seem to be caused by the default settings in the Onkyos themselves...(other threads talk about it) and the lip synch correction doesn't solve it completely.

Dan

Listen up, studios! Just say "NO" to DNR and EE!!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page