The Official INTEGRA DTC-9.8 Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 12993 Old 07-14-2007, 09:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just curious, why would you use GF outlets for a dedicared line to an A/V system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 12993 Old 07-14-2007, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebishman View Post

R,

That being the case, do you have any recommendations re: a good quality 7 channel amp to pair with the DTC 9.8? I do NOT want a bright sound.

Bish

I'm beginning to feel like an Axiom Audio spokesperson, but I'm really not.. I just like their products and their customer support is second to none (that I've dealt with anyway). Those two things tend to make folks want to talk.good business in this internet world I think.

That being said, I am waiting to see how the 9.8 pans out, along with the NAD 175. I am however buying the Axiom A1400 8 channel amp to pair up with a suitable pre/pro. It will be shipping sometime in August, and from what I can tell by the specs I've seen, it has no peer. It's quite revolutionary. Obviously, I'm taking a fairly expensive leap of faith, but it does come with a 30 day in home trial so I can always send it back if I don't like it.

Not a whole lot of information available yet, but if interested, you can see some specs at the Axiom forum. http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...547#Post174537
post #93 of 12993 Old 07-14-2007, 10:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 10
ATI QC problems , thats a good one, I guess thats why they have a bulletproof 7 year warranty and the most amazing trade in upgrade policy

any company that offers warranties of this length knows what the outcome will be and they have been in business for a looooong time

-Gary
post #94 of 12993 Old 07-14-2007, 11:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

ATI QC problems , thats a good one, I guess thats why they have a bulletproof 7 year warranty and the most amazing trade in upgrade policy

any company that offers warranties of this length knows what the outcome will be and they have been in business for a looooong time

Here's a better one: the list of ATI made amps I owned and the problems I had with them:

1. Integra Research RDA-7: stains/scratches on the amp similar to the ones on some of the Outlaw 7700 amps. The right front channel worked intermittently.

2. Integra Research RDA-7.1: one of the speaker connectors was defective, the color of the amp's feet didn't match those on my my RDC-7.1 processor, the standby led was almost invisible, amp died after 2 weeks of usage.

3. Two ATI 2007 amps: both made a loud whistling noise at power off when connected to the processor via balanced inputs. The ATI owner told me that all ATI amps with balanced inputs make this noise, discharging capacitors. The ATI amps had a 3 db difference in output i.e one was 3 db louder than the other, and sounded very different. One was forward and thin the other very grainy. Both the main engineer at the factory and the owner of ATI could not explain the 3 db difference in sound level. They took back both amps.

4. Integra Research RDA-7.1: loud humming noise, one of the heat sinks was higher than the other heat sinks causing the case to be bent at the top.

5. Integra Research RDA-7.1: the IR logo fell off after one year of usage.

The ATI guys are nice people - I met with some of them face to face 3 or 4 times at the ATI factory in Montebello - but no more ATI made products for me, thank you very much.

R
post #95 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 01:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmith901 View Post

As far as I can tell the Onkyo PR-SC885P sold in the pro line is essentially the same product. Any Onkyo pro retailer should be able to sell it on-line. It is due out next month.

http://www.onkyopro.com/model.cfm?m=...eamplifier&p=i

Yikes, Ugly!

The Hun
post #96 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Just curious, why would you use GF outlets for a dedicared line to an A/V system?

First of all It is a requirement where I live to have GFI in a basement. The first outlet on the branch is GFI and I was told that one at the beginning is enough.

When I did the basement, I did everything with 20amp breakers with 12-2 wires. 2 outlet branches and 1 for the lights.

It's a bit of overkill for the pool room side and the lights but what the heck.

Frank

GO Red Wings
post #97 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengilly View Post

So how did the first date go? First Base? I got TWO of those critters at my house 6-9 Lots and lots of fun for sure. Remember as far as equipment goes, trust your ears, they are the ones that count. I think there was good info here and things to watch out for. I was told by some guy that my speakers were going to be really bright and was a little concerned, he happened to be wrong and they have been something I really enjoy and would probably never sell. So you never know, try them out and see if YOU like. This HT/ music stuff is a work in progress that never ends anyways.
Later
Pen

The date was a success as far as he was concerned. She gave him a hug and said that they should go out again.

I think he was glad it was over. I gave him a few tips about meeting the dad and how to act while on the date, then his sister and mother bombarded him with their opinions and that threw him into panic mode.

Back on topic, you are right. whatever sounds good to your own ear is all that matters. I don't expect problems with the 9.8 but you never know. I am breaking a rule that I've had all my life and that is NEVER buy anything that is a new model. This is mostly true of automobiles and any software from Microsoft. So yea, I'm taking a leap of faith here.

Onkyo is the only receiver I've ever owned. So I am going with what I know. As far as the Outlaw amp goes, this is my first pre-pro set up. The 7700 has been out for a while and I haven't heard any negatives so I pulled the trigger with them because of affordability and the 30 day return policy.

Frank

GO Red Wings
post #98 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

You'll have to post some pics when your done, Id like to see the finished product. Im getting a new oak stand made for my TV right now that will fit my center thats sitting on a stack of Magazines and a couple of PS2 Games, hi-tec stuff! Then, when I get my 9.8 (or whatever)I'll be able able to really put the finishing touches on this system. Well, thats what I tell my wife.
Hope all is good.
post #99 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

Raz is on my ignore list, but if I had to guess he is trashing ATI, he has a baseless history of doing this so just ignore him

they don't come much better than ATI and anyone seriously into HT knows this

-Gary

Raz was talking about 2-Channel...not HT. I could see how a bright amp could sound pleasing compared to a neutral amp for HT. My H/K7300 as a preamp has that effect...bright. Seems to work for HT, but the effect for 2 channel is not to my taste.
post #100 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 09:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrew View Post

I'm beginning to feel like an Axiom Audio spokesperson, but I'm really not.. I just like their products and their customer support is second to none (that I've dealt with anyway). Those two things tend to make folks want to talk.good business in this internet world I think.

That being said, I am waiting to see how the 9.8 pans out, along with the NAD 175. I am however buying the Axiom A1400 8 channel amp to pair up with a suitable pre/pro. It will be shipping sometime in August, and from what I can tell by the specs I've seen, it has no peer. It's quite revolutionary. Obviously, I'm taking a fairly expensive leap of faith, but it does come with a 30 day in home trial so I can always send it back if I don't like it.

Not a whole lot of information available yet, but if interested, you can see some specs at the Axiom forum. http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/sho...547#Post174537

I read this forum but couldn't find much in the way of specs; pictures, etc.

Can you share more info?

Thanks,
Bish
post #101 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks for all of the advice so far guys.

?: Is the new Outlaw 7900 made by an outside company for Outlaw?

Thanks,
Bish
post #102 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:

Thanks,
Bish

Yes, all Outlaw products are made by another manufacture......forgot if the amp was ADCOM or ATI?
post #103 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
This pre pro seems like it could be a winner. I want to see what B&K might have up it's sleeve first. My Ref 200.7 is crying for a new pre pro. I may just have to retire my 56TXi receiver to the bedroom or garage. hmm..
I had an Integra 6.2 receiver a few years ago and i couldn't stand how bright it was. Maybe mated to the B&K amp would compliment it.

found these pic's. not sure they were posted or not.

http://www.myav.com.tw/forum/printth...hreadid=292004

- Chip
post #104 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:

I read this forum but couldn't find much in the way of specs; pictures, etc.

Can you share more info?

Thanks,
Bish

It was posted somewhere in the midst of the other integra thread. Here it is again.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/mo...=Separates&p=f

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #105 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, ATI. The info is from the Outlaws themselves.

R
post #106 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengilly View Post

You'll have to post some pics when your done, Id like to see the finished product. Im getting a new oak stand made for my TV right now that will fit my center thats sitting on a stack of Magazines and a couple of PS2 Games, hi-tec stuff! Then, when I get my 9.8 (or whatever)I'll be able able to really put the finishing touches on this system. Well, thats what I tell my wife.
Hope all is good.

Don't expect anything in the way of cosmetics. As I said, I am making it out of 2X4's and heavy plywood behind the TV wall which is under the stair case. The wife busted me when the Outlaw amp showed up. I told here it only cost $350 and was need for the rear surrounds BC my old Onkyo stereo amp was ruined when my basement flooded. I can't let her see the 9.8 when it shows up. It will just be slipped in under the stair case I hope.

I've been looking at wires all of my HT career and am sick of it. It gets to be such a tangled mess that I dread when I have to clean behind there and it's not easy to hook-up.

Don't get me wrong, I love the way a nice entertainment center looks with all the high dollar equipment showing. My room is not that wide nor is there any other alternative to display the equipment.

I bought a Pronto 7500 and RF transmitter a month ago so that's that. Man do I ever love that pronto!

Frank

GO Red Wings
post #107 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fakerley View Post

Ok I will listen for the whistle and also for any hums. I hope I don't get the dreaded ground loop problems that some people have.

Here's a list of things to check for when you get the DTC-9.8 ( I've owned Integra stuff for 6+ years and these have been some common Integra problems over the years):

1. Speaker popping via the RCA and balanced connections. Popping seems to be a problem with the new Onkyo 805 receiver and it was a problem a few years ago with the Integra Research RDC-7 processor. Switch from one input to another ( CD to DVD) and see if you hear any popping. Then switch from one sound mode to another ( stereo to DPLIIx), any popping? Then leave the settings for bass and treble set at 0 for one input ( CD) and change them ( say +4 for bass and +6 for treble) for another input ( DVD). Switch from CD to DVD and see if you hear any popping. For more info about this problem read the dedicated Onkyo 805/605 popping thread.

2. HDMI shift. If you have a calibration DVD find a video calibration screen with circles and rectangles and connect your DVD player directly to the TV using HDMI and then through the DTC-9.8 also using HDMI. Do you notice any shift in image ( up, down, left, right) when connected through the processor?

3. Crossover settings. Set the crossover on the DTC-9.8 to the lowest setting and then to the highest one, do you notice a difference in sound? If not then the processor might have a problem with the crossover settings.

4. Transformer noise. Turn everything off except for the processor and listen closely to see if you can hear any transformer noise. ( Do the same for your Outlaw amp).

5. Make sure that all inputs/outputs - analog and digital - are functional.

6. Check for any problems with the OSD. Read the manual and see if the OSD works as written in the manual.

7. Bi-amping. When setting the bi-amping feature 'on' you should hear a clicking sound from the processor.

8. Sound dropouts. When changing channels on the TV or satellite receiver check if you hear any dropouts.

9. Lip sync. Check for any lip sync issues.

R
post #108 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 12:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Raz,

You sure seem to have had a lot of trouble with your gear over the years. You sure it's not user error?

I've ran tons of different gear over the last 25 years, and although I have tried a few pieces I didn't like, and returned, I have only had one component that was defective out of the box.
post #109 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Raz, at first I would read your posts and feel your pain and disappointment. I felt bad for you. However, I've come to realize that I've never read a post by you where you've had anything positive to say about the Integra stuff you've owned or anything, really. Although I may be wrong as I've not read each and every one of your posts. And yet, you've stuck with Integra for 6 years? I'm bettin' you've heard the saying about doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Is there anything positive you have to say about Integra?
post #110 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

Raz,
You sure seem to have had a lot of trouble with your gear over the years. You sure it's not user error?

100% sure. All defects mentioned here were real and duplicated by the dealer/vendor when I returned/exchanged the units in question. I do have stuff that works perfectly and never had problems with, for example Panasonic gear. I have two Panny plasmas, one Panny CRT, two Panny DVD recorders, one Panny DVD player, one Panny digital camera, one Panny boombox, they all work flawlessly. Integra processors and amps - and ATI amps- have always been problematic.

R
post #111 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

Yes, their stuff is great. When it works.

R
post #112 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glashub View Post

One more thing: I have the Onkyo - Onkyo and Integra are the same company - DV-CP802 universal player and it's great, no problems whatsoever.

R
post #113 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

Here's a list of things to check for when you get the DTC-9.8 ( I've owned Integra stuff for 6+ years and these have been some common Integra problems over the years):

1. Speaker popping via the RCA and balanced connections. Popping seems to be a problem with the new Onkyo 805 receiver and it was a problem a few years ago with the Integra Research RDC-7 processor. Switch from one input to another ( CD to DVD) and see if you hear any popping. Then switch from one sound mode to another ( stereo to DPLIIx), any popping? Then leave the settings for bass and treble set at 0 for one input ( CD) and change them ( say +4 for bass and +6 for treble) for another input ( DVD). Switch from CD to DVD and see if you hear any popping. For more info about this problem read the dedicated Onkyo 805/605 popping thread.

2. HDMI shift. If you have a calibration DVD find a video calibration screen with circles and rectangles and connect your DVD player directly to the TV using HDMI and then through the DTC-9.8 also using HDMI. Do you notice any shift in image ( up, down, left, right) when connected through the processor?

3. Crossover settings. Set the crossover on the DTC-9.8 to the lowest setting and then to the highest one, do you notice a difference in sound? If not then the processor might have a problem with the crossover settings.

4. Transformer noise. Turn everything off except for the processor and listen closely to see if you can hear any transformer noise. ( Do the same for your Outlaw amp).

6. Check for any problems with the OSD. Read the manual and see if the OSD works as written in the manual.

7. Bi-amping. When setting the bi-amping feature 'on' you should hear a clicking sound from the processor.

8. Sound dropouts. When changing channels on the TV or satellite receiver check if you hear any dropouts.

R

Number 7 effects my IR unit and a number of ther RDC-7.1 owners. There is a tenth seen problem too:

10) Check for excessive hiss/hum when using Coax output with a Sat receiver.

Razvan was once a fairly optimistic RDC-7.1 owner, him and myself got one in the first month of release. I still am optimistic since apart from number 7 my unit is perfect. A beautifully built and natural sounding pre pro which still has a decent feature set.
post #114 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krobar View Post

Number 7 effects my IR unit and a number of ther RDC-7.1 owners. There is a tenth seen problem too:

10) Check for excessive hiss/hum when using Coax output with a Sat receiver.

Razvan was once a fairly optimistic RDC-7.1 owner, him and myself got one in the first month of release. I still am optimistic since apart from number 7 my unit is perfect. A beautifully built and natural sounding pre pro which still has a decent feature set.

The RDC-7.1 I have now is great too but I had to go through 5 units to get a good one. There are other RDC-7.1 owners who had to go through multiple exchanges to get a functional processor.

R
post #115 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 02:04 PM
Advanced Member

Because this is a DTC-9.8 thread, I'll be quick but I wanted to add a few comments concerning two ATI amps I've owned within the past few years: The 2007 and 2005 (I currently own the 2005 but it's in storage at present).

I had no functional or sonic problems of any kind with either amp
I would rate both ATI amps as audiophile grade. I compared the 2005 using two channels against a pair of highly regarded Odyssey Extreme Monoblocks http://www.odysseyaudio.com/, and the ATI was competitive sonically(IMHO)

I don't doubt Raz's experience with the ATI but understand that it's not universal.Eric
post #116 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 02:17 PM
Advanced Member

On a related note, I'll seriously consider the DTC-9.8 in the next few months but want to get some opinions about its sound quality on music from owners first. I've ordered the Onkyo TX-NR900 in the mean time to get by. I have some Nuforce monoblocks available for use if need be. I'm hoping (but not counting on it) that the 900 will sound good enough that I can hold off on separates for a while. I guess I'll know next month.

Eric
post #117 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razvanel View Post

R

I will check all of the above in time in my priority order. I won't be using bi-amping. There is lots to due when I first get it.

One very important thing for me will be OSD in HDMI and component video. I haven't had that feature with my current Onkyo for years now. I think the OSD is only for analog viewing BC it's sure not visible over component.

I can't hardly wat to dive into it when it gets here.

Frank

GO Red Wings
post #118 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 07:04 PM
Advanced Member

All good info.....all good. Great thread.
post #119 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

The thread discussing the speaker popping issue with the new Onkyo receivers:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2&page=1&pp=30

The DTC-9.8 might have this problem too. If you plan on getting the DTC-9.8 make sure to ask the dealer you're buying it from about their return/exchange policy in case you have a problem with the unit. Some Integra dealers are a pain to deal with if you need service after the sale.

R
post #120 of 12993 Old 07-15-2007, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Differences aside, we do have to thank Raz for providing a comprehensive list of potential problems so that we can find any problems right off the bat rather than finding things after the fact when it is too late. Now back to regular programming.

Vinod
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page