What Problem – No lip synch problems on my 805 88 38.26%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The 2 second cut-off of the sound is a seperate issue. It's not related to the audio delay that we are talking about here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusExa View Post

Hey guys - I have ABSOLUTELY NO LIP SYNC PROBLEM, but when I play a music CD, the first ~2 seconds of each track gets cut off...i skip to next track, and next, and same thing happens. The player/hdmicable are fine(tested in another system)......I swapped the 805 yesterday for another one(Frys, paid $699), this one seems to only delay sound on some of the tracks, while most tracks are fine, when the old 805 had a 2-second delay on almost all tracks. tried optical cable too...same problem, so no blaming HDMI....

WTH?????

Oh sorry - can you point me to that place?...it's still an issue of the 805, right?

Home Audio: Polk Audio LSi15 - Onkyo TX-SR805 - purchasing Emotiva XPA-3 Amp/Cadence 15" Sub

PC Audio: Energy RC-10 - Onkyo Integrated Amp
post #273 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsilv View Post

would it make a difference if speakers are 4 ohms as far as temps? going back to my original question i seen the delay is quoted as 47-63 ms so how much delay can be tolerated before most people notice it? if the dvd or ps3 is not introducing that much delay and the cable box is what pecentage is really from the 805?

I want to bump this I want to know this too

Im nOt listing my equipmeNt here, liKe because i cant! some Yanky wOnt let me. I'll just have to write 8 m0re words with 5 letters. This whole signiture isnt making sense.
post #274 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 08:18 PM

OK i tried dropping the ohms to 4 and it droped three degrees Celsius so far, from 46 to 43. (I do have fans running) but when at 6 it was holding at 46 now at 43.

So i would say it DEF has something to do with the heat.

I am also running a little experiment with HEAT and LIP SYNC PROBLEM.

I will conduct a test for a couple of days writing down temps and sync problems and post the findings, also while typing this it just went down to 42 Celius. YOU REALLY HAD SOMETHING THERE WITH THE OHMS THING.

107.6 F Awesome!

(? does the ohms effect sound quality?)

Im nOt listing my equipmeNt here, liKe because i cant! some Yanky wOnt let me. I'll just have to write 8 m0re words with 5 letters. This whole signiture isnt making sense.
post #275 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 08:34 PM

Just dropped to 40 C

104 F

Fans are at 9v ( I cant hear them)

post #276 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhattala View Post

Just dropped to 40 C

104 F

Fans are at 9v ( I cant hear them)

Keep going. I have my 875 now at 31C core and 32C at the fan.
No lip synch problems ever.
post #277 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVi View Post

Keep going. I have my 875 now at 31C core and 32C at the fan.
No lip synch problems ever.

WHAT HOW DID YOU GET IT TO 31C????????????

PLEASE TELLLLLLLL!!!!!

I WOULD HAVE TO RUN LIQUID COOLING!

O are you running 6 ohms?

post #278 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 08:49 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:

WHAT HOW DID YOU GET IT TO 31C????????????

PLEASE TELLLLLLLL!!!!!

I WOULD HAVE TO RUN LIQUID COOLING!

O are you running 6 ohms?

6 ohms it is. My speakers are rated at 8 ohms.

Fans are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3262
post #279 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:

6 ohms it is. My speakers are rated at 8 ohms.

Fans are here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3262

what are you running your vans at (volts) and how loud are they ?

Hey is the one in the back blowing up or down?

post #280 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 09:08 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:

what are you running your vans at (volts) and how loud are they ?

Hey is the one in the back blowing up or down?

I can't hear the fans (the Pioneer 533H DVD recorder next to them makes more racket downloading the TV Guide to its hard drive). The fans are 12V DC running at 100ma. They don't run at full speed, more like 400 rpm. The one in the back is blowing down. Placement is critical. A slight shift will change the temperature by 3C to 4C. This arrangement is the best I've come up with. The right side (as viewed from the front) is where all the heat is. The front fan throws cold air towards the rear fan.
post #281 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:

I can't hear the fans (the Pioneer 533H DVD recorder next to them makes more racket downloading the TV Guide to its hard drive). The fans are 12V DC running at 100ma. They don't run at full speed, more like 400 rpm. The one in the back is blowing down. Placement is critical. A slight shift will change the temperature by 3C to 4C. This arrangement is the best I've come up with. The right side (as viewed from the front) is where all the heat is. The front fan throws cold air towards the rear fan.

So is the back fan blowing down?

post #282 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 09:11 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:

So is the back fan blowing down?

Yep.
post #283 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 09:16 PM

well maybe thats my problem because i have all my fans blowing up. hmm let me try some things!

post #284 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 09:28 PM

So is it verified that heat is whats causing the sync issue?
post #285 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 10:22 PM

well it seems it may be but let me run more test on this. I dont want to say anything too soon. Right now i have managed to get my temp down to 34/36 Celsius And still dropping.

post #286 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 10:27 PM

JVI are you watching HD? or just regular SD

post #287 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 10:32 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:

JVI are you watching HD? or just regular SD

SD TV. The only HD I have is 1080p/24 from the PS3 through the 875 on HDMI Monitor OUT = Yes - Resolution Auto
post #288 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 10:37 PM

I was off today, and my reciever was on from 11am to 6pm with no lip sync issues. I noticed lip sync issues before i ran the auto setup, but since, i've not noticed any issues. I did set the lip sync slightly lower than it came. I have a PS3, 360, Cable Box, and HTPC all hooked up, no issues on any of them.

My 805 is sitting on a Sanus NF206 stand on the second from the second from the bottom shelf. It's open air but in the corner surrounded by one of my mains and a subwoofer.
post #289 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWNKAKE View Post

I was off today, and my reciever was on from 11am to 6pm with no lip sync issues. I noticed lip sync issues before i ran the auto setup, but since, i've not noticed any issues. I did set the lip sync slightly lower than it came. I have a PS3, 360, Cable Box, and HTPC all hooked up, no issues on any of them.

My 805 is sitting on a Sanus NF206 stand on the second from the second from the bottom shelf. It's open air but in the corner surrounded by one of my mains and a subwoofer.

OK what are your lip sync settings?
(are you talking about the audysee setup?)

Quote:

SD TV. The only HD I have is 1080p/24 from the PS3 through the 875 on HDMI Monitor OUT = Yes - Resolution Auto

Well most people dont have problems with SD, i never have. Its mostly with HD channels.

post #290 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 11:04 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:

Well most people dont have problems with SD, i never have. Its mostly with HD channels.

I am switching HD satellite in about three months.
post #291 of 385 Old 01-28-2008, 11:27 PM

I have the A/V sync set to ZEROms... and my cable boxs HDMI setting set to " AUTO ". There is a slight lag when it is set to LPCM or Passthrough. It is a Motorolla HD DVR box.. 6416. I should also state, that the Lag is ONLY on HD channels for me.. and specifically it seems with channels that are running "strechovision".. TBS or A&E. But, like i said, only when audio is set to LPCM or Passthrough. Auto releaves the issue. When i read your question, i went back and checked... I noticed slight lag on TBS HD with the setting to anything BUT Auto. Strange. It may not be the source of the problem, but i have no issues on any of my other inputs. Something to check perhaps? My PS3 never had an issue, but untill i "reset" its HDMI audio settings, i was not getting multichannel.

I just want to stress, that this is repeatable on my setup.. i decided to see if i could see any lag between my TV and the cable box alone.. alas.. i cannot. So it's only when its plugged into my reciever that i can see it, and its not on every channel, and its very slight.. As i move the AV sync up, it gets worse.

Not trying to give any of you guys false hope, but i thought it was worth a try... try resetting your HDMI audio settings to default on your cable boxes, dvrs, and consoles and playing with the output types available. Report back if anyhone else has good results. I voted on this pole that it was a minor problem (based on initially seeing a slight lag on HD when i first turned the reciever on before using Audessy or resetting HDMI audio on my devices).. but honestly I haven't noticed it and forgot about it.. when i saw this thread at the top, i thought, Hey.. i haven't noticed any problems since i setup everything? What changed?
post #292 of 385 Old 01-29-2008, 12:25 AM

After reading the new posts these past few days, I’m really starting to think that a lot of you don’t have the same problem that we started reporting.

So just to clarify….
From a cold start (Heat Not A Factor), Using a Blu-Ray Player (Source Not A Problem), even with delay set to 0, and speakers pushed to 30ft, and running firmware v1.06, using HDMI for audio or Optical, there is a significant (my wife even notices,) consistent, audio delay each and every time. It doesn’t come and go. And pausing and hitting play again doesn’t trick it back into working. There is a big problem.

I also don’t think every unit suffers from it. You really start to wonder if Onkyo wanted to cut costs on the unit and bought inferior components from a cheaper vendor. And now there is a batch of lemons out there. I wish I would have looked to see where it was manufactured before I sent it back. Is there some magic combination? All units made in Malaysia, between Aug 2007 and Nov 2007? Wish I knew. I loved this unit.
post #293 of 385 Old 01-31-2008, 02:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can't seem to verify the relation between heat and sync loss. Watched Oceans 11 again and about chapter 24 sync goes noticable off. Temp was 55/50 on the 805 when it happened.

I let the receiver cool and tried again, but still had sync issues. Tried it straight to the tv and sync was dead on. Tried it on the A2 in the other room and sync was dead on again.

Ordered the fan that is listed in the 805 forum and it is a waste of time. It dropped my max temp from 59/54 to about 56/53. I ended up using two 120mm computer fans with the power supply, and even on 4.6 volts they work much better. Temps now do not go over 36/37. I think the 1st # is the DSP/HDMI section and the second is the amp because the fans are positioned over the circuit boards, and this is the first time I have seen the second number consistently higher than the 1st.

Teste Harrp Potter in True HD and DD+ and had no issues. Switched to HBO-HD for Lucky number Slevin. Sync was perfect, except it occassionally drifted off and then back again. Odd enough. I got to watching temps (never going above 36/37) and noticed the number underneath that is V:0.xx. Well, it seems when V is 0.00 sync is perfect. When it creeps up sync seems to get lost. This is at least what my assumption is. The highest I saw it go was 0.12. Sync was bad for that second.

Anyone know what the V:0.00 is? At least in my case it "seems" to be directly related to losing lip sync. Be aware that I am not talking about the fixed delay the receiver isproven to have. this is an issue where sync seems perfect, then drifts noticably, and then back again. So far it is independent of source.

I Like Digital!
post #294 of 385 Old 02-04-2008, 06:37 PM

Onkyo has to fix this problem, why would they ship a receiver with this kinda bug. IT IS REALLY Aggravating. I wish i would have never know about it or been such a freak about it, then maybe i would notice it, but when it is just a hair off it bugs the piss out of me!

post #295 of 385 Old 02-11-2008, 01:20 AM

I'm still confused as to the goal of the DSP audio processing. Why would Onkyo (or anyone else) introduce a known delay in audio without some way to compensate for it on the Video side ? Does anyone know (or guess) that they just thought the delay wouldn't be noticeable or that the video delay already in the set would be more that enough to "Cover" the audio delay and thus didn't even try to equalize the output signal ? Or that they just didn't bother at all with the video side ? It's just hard to believe.

I know when I watch DVD's, I don't notice a dealy, at least not enough of one to bother me the last time I watched. But I do watch much more TV and I now watch ABC HD programming with a crummy extra speaker hooked directly to the TV. I forgo sound quality just to hear the voice more in sync.

Also, which Onkyo model wouldn't have this issue ? I assume the 605 is the top dog without a delay in Onkyo's lineup ? I'm tempted to just go low tech until this issue is solved. Seems like Denon customers are happier with their stuff then Onkyo's at the moment (looking at 3808 reviews). Not sure what's up with Sony 5300. Sony doesn't seem to get much love from the Home Theater crowd. I kind of like the idea of digital amps after having this blazing hot one from Onkyo.
post #296 of 385 Old 02-16-2008, 09:02 PM

I have an 805, which I bought roughly 6 months ago. I watch HD, SD, Bluray, and HD DVD all with no problem. I do not have a PS3. I will say that a few HD commercials (such as the Payton Manning Sony commercial) does have an audio lag, but it has the same lag on my normal Samsung TV too. This problem is not in all units, and based on the posts and "chart" in this thread it looks liek ~1/3 of the units do show this problem.

I absolutely love this unit and am very happy with the purchase.
post #297 of 385 Old 02-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Can anyone disprove this statement?
100% of people who use electronic equipment to measure the delay in the Onkyo X05 series using digital inputs have found the delay, and it is at least 40 ms irregardless of settings.

Based on that statement, at 60hz, each frame take 16.7 ms, so the video is at least 2-3 frames off the audio.
post #298 of 385 Old 02-17-2008, 08:36 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I have this audio delay on my Integra 9.8, noticeable with some HD programming on my 8300HD box, not on DVD's. I'm curious, someone mentioned setting the front speakers to 30ft then the others relative to reduce the delay. But if the delay is only noticeable (by eye, since why would I care otherwise) with some channels/programming, then wouldn't this mess up other channels/programming that are fine?

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #299 of 385 Old 02-17-2008, 08:37 AM
pbc
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Oh, and given that it is a pre, I assume it doesn't run as hot as the 805 as it doesn't have any amps to drive. Albeit, it does get hotter then I thought it would, but I haven't measured it.

My DIY Subs ... http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1233892

Quote:

J Dunlavy:.. if you stop to think about it, no loudspeaker can sound more accurate than it measures.

post #300 of 385 Old 02-19-2008, 01:55 AM

Why is everyone doing 12v computer fan conversions?, just buy a "clip" 120v regular fan and attach it to a shelf in your rack, or look around for other small "personal" fans alot will work well, and will put out a TON more air than a tiny computer fan and alot are black so they will blend with your gear.They ALL look MUCH more professional IMHO. Or in extreme cases just hook up a Holmes Blizzard Jr
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page