Voters: 229. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 385 Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks MonkeyGoD,

I've definitely gotten side tracked on the issues and played too much phone tag with the service center to get any good explanation. But as you've pointed out before in the thread, there's several issues which everyone calls audio delay.

1. The one you pointed out which is that the output audio signal lags the input signal, even with Pure/Direct mode. This is the issue that would affect gamer but it is confusing that even in what is supposed to be a pass-through mode, there would be ANY delay. Bad for gaming but not necessarily an issue for watching broadcasts or DVD's.

2. Lip-Sync delay watching network HD broadcasts. Whether it's via Cable, Antenna or Satelite, this seems to be a pervasive problem with the way several of the networks create their HD feeds. This is often WAY more then the 50ms or so discussed for #1. Nothing Onkyo can really do here except to introduce a video delay setting which would be nice..

3. Lip-Sync delay watching DVD/Blu-ray. Reading the thread, some folks have noticed this but it sounds less certain. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this one's been established as an error, although it does seem as though this is the issue most folks are concerned with (that Onkyo actually COULD fix).

I haven't said anything which wasn't previously brought up but it can become difficult to follow these threads. We almost need a wiki.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 385 Old 12-24-2007, 11:08 PM

I just got done fixing the lip sync issue on my 805... it is boxed up and going back to Amazon. If Onkyo ever decides to address and fix the issue with the 805 I will buy another. It will be interesting to see if next years lineup has this problem.
post #183 of 385 Old 12-25-2007, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2e View Post

Thanks MonkeyGoD,

I've definitely gotten side tracked on the issues and played too much phone tag with the service center to get any good explanation. But as you've pointed out before in the thread, there's several issues which everyone calls audio delay.

1. The one you pointed out which is that the output audio signal lags the input signal, even with Pure/Direct mode. This is the issue that would affect gamer but it is confusing that even in what is supposed to be a pass-through mode, there would be ANY delay. Bad for gaming but not necessarily an issue for watching broadcasts or DVD's.

2. Lip-Sync delay watching network HD broadcasts. Whether it's via Cable, Antenna or Satelite, this seems to be a pervasive problem with the way several of the networks create their HD feeds. This is often WAY more then the 50ms or so discussed for #1. Nothing Onkyo can really do here except to introduce a video delay setting which would be nice..

3. Lip-Sync delay watching DVD/Blu-ray. Reading the thread, some folks have noticed this but it sounds less certain. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think this one's been established as an error, although it does seem as though this is the issue most folks are concerned with (that Onkyo actually COULD fix).

I haven't said anything which wasn't previously brought up but it can become difficult to follow these threads. We almost need a wiki.

1. For certain, it is more obvious problem in gaming/karaoke situations, but it doesn't mean it doesnt affect other uses such as watching movies. The audio delay is always there, this much has been proven; the key factor is the listeners sensitivity to such a delay. Due to this subjectivity, it is hard to argue what is acceptable and what isn't.

2. The 805 has no video processing abilities aside from the basic Faroudja DCDi so I don't think it is possible to introduce a video delay. This is something for the 875 and up models. I've heard from a couple 875 owners that due notice a video delay in their receivers, which may be beneficial for movies, but unacceptable for games.

3. I have read that some people do experience the delay through HDMI, but I have no way of testing delay through the HDMI port. An audio delay through HDMI has not been confirmed or scientifically tested as far as I know. Perhaps a GuitarHero/Rockband player on a PS3 (hdmi 1.3) can give their impressions with the audio delay on the 805.
post #184 of 385 Old 12-25-2007, 11:45 AM

I wonder if there's a good scientific test we can ask Onkyo support to investigate for #2. It seems #1 is pretty straightforward. I've called Alcena so hopefully she'll follow up (or someone from Onkyo).

Other than sampling findings from AVS forum posters and a few pieces of scant feedback from Chris as Audyssey, there's not much information out there about how we should expect all this to work.

Ben
post #185 of 385 Old 12-25-2007, 01:37 PM

I am having lip-sync problems just like most people in this thread. I'm here to confirm there are in fact the same issues via HDMI ports. I've watched multiple Blu-Rays and I'm having the same problems. I set the lip-sync feature on the 805 to "enabled" or whatever it is, and I've also set the audio delay to "0." I'm one of the main group of people where the video leads the audio. Is there anything else I can do to TRY to fix this? Any settings or ANYTHING?! It's unacceptable, in all honesty.
post #186 of 385 Old 12-25-2007, 01:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrex View Post

I am having lip-sync problems just like most people in this thread. I'm here to confirm there are in fact the same issues via HDMI ports. I've watched multiple Blu-Rays and I'm having the same problems. I set the lip-sync feature on the 805 to "enabled" or whatever it is, and I've also set the audio delay to "0." I'm one of the main group of people where the video leads the audio. Is there anything else I can do to TRY to fix this? Any settings or ANYTHING?! It's unacceptable, in all honesty.

First of all, there are a lot of HDMI components out there, which don't support the "Repeater" profile for HDMI.

Secondary, a well implemented HDMI design will provide information of any video or audio delay induced automatically to its partners, so that the last one can compute / calculate any computational delay.

Unfortunatelly most older components wont do that or are erring to the wrong side.
post #187 of 385 Old 12-27-2007, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

First of all, there are a lot of HDMI components out there, which don't support the "Repeater" profile for HDMI.

Secondary, a well implemented HDMI design will provide information of any video or audio delay induced automatically to its partners, so that the last one can compute / calculate any computational delay.

Unfortunatelly most older components wont do that or are erring to the wrong side.

If the receiver adds more delay to audio than to video, I don't think HDMI 1.3 delay setting will help. If it was the otherwise around, one could avoid this issue by using audio delay setting manually.

afaik, it just makes it possible for display device to tell an av receiver / source what "fixed video delay" it will cause. Source/receiver can then add required delay for audio.

We would need either firmware fix for one or more audio DSPs in Onkyo (if it is fixable just by fw) or external hdmi/video processor capable of delaying video.
post #188 of 385 Old 01-02-2008, 11:09 AM

I read here that there might be audio latency fix for 905 (result of new version main fw and especially one of the DSPs). As the three DSPs use same firmware across the 805/875/905 and some Integra models, any idea if we could use it somehow?
post #189 of 385 Old 01-02-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I am planning on returning my 805 to Amazon. I am really bothered by the audio delay. I have tried all the fixes mentioned on this forum, including setting the speaker distances to 30 feet, but nothing has seemed to fix the slight delay.

I have tested and confirmed the delay by running the 805 at the same time as other audio sources. I ran separate audio cables to the tv speakers and I also setup my old receiver by running an optical audio cable from my cable box, while the 805 was connected with HDMI. The delay was noticeable in both instances.

Is this delay small enough that it doesn't bother everyone, or are there really some units that don't have this problem?

I really like the receiver and don't want to return it, but I don't think I can live with the audio delay.
post #190 of 385 Old 01-02-2008, 09:23 PM

I too am readying my 805 for return. I have my settings maxed out at 30' but there is still a noticeable lag with many input sources - HD DVR, DVD, off air. I have owned several Onkyos, but this is probably the last.

I am at a lost for what receiver to move on to though and will have to start the research again.

It is hard to fathom how such an issue could make it past production validation.
post #191 of 385 Old 01-03-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quenthal View Post

I read here that there might be audio latency fix for 905 (result of new version main fw and especially one of the DSPs). As the three DSPs use same firmware across the 805/875/905 and some Integra models, any idea if we could use it somehow?

If indeed it is true that the firmware did fix the audio delay problem for the 905, then there is some hope.

Unfortunately, unlike the 905 model, the 805's firmware cannot be user updated and so will likely require bringing the receiver to a Onkyo service center to be flashed.
post #192 of 385 Old 01-03-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyGoD View Post

If indeed it is true that the firmware did fix the audio delay problem for the 905, then there is some hope.

Unfortunately, unlike the 905 model, the 805's firmware cannot be user updated and so will likely require bringing the receiver to a Onkyo service center to be flashed.

I think so too. One can follow the firmware discussion over here too: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12661864
post #193 of 385 Old 01-03-2008, 12:10 PM

I find this whole thing very strange. I have experienced zero delay with HD DVD or Blu-ray, and practically zero with cable (Verizon). Every once and a while a commercail in HD will be off, but they are few and far between. The only one I can remember is the Payton Manning Sony commercial. I have also seen the same delay on my HD TV in another room, so I do not attribute this to the Onkyo. Why is it that some boxes do seem to have this problem? From the poll at the top of the page, it looks like most boxes do not.
post #194 of 385 Old 01-03-2008, 02:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedom View Post

I find this whole thing very strange. I have experienced zero delay with HD DVD or Blu-ray, and practically zero with cable (Verizon). Every once and a while a commercail in HD will be off, but they are few and far between. The only one I can remember is the Payton Manning Sony commercial. I have also seen the same delay on my HD TV in another room, so I do not attribute this to the Onkyo. Why is it that some boxes do seem to have this problem? From the poll at the top of the page, it looks like most boxes do not.

Have you specifically tested your unit? Maybe you are just not noticing the delay. Try hooking up some audio cable to go directly from your cable box to your tv speakers. Turn up the volume on the tv and the onkyo at the same time at a level where you can hear both of them. Do you hear an echo?

Warning: This will open pandora's box and you can't get the audio delay out of your mind after you discover it
post #195 of 385 Old 01-03-2008, 02:59 PM

@thedom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFul4d View Post

Have you specifically tested your unit? Maybe you are just not noticing the delay. Try hooking up some audio cable to go directly from your cable box to your tv speakers. Turn up the volume on the tv and the onkyo at the same time at a level where you can hear both of them. Do you hear an echo?

Warning: This will open pandora's box and you can't get the audio delay out of your mind after you discover it

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend testing this issue further... Also it might be that your display adds some delay to video that compensates Onkyo's audio delay in which case it might be quite negligible.
post #196 of 385 Old 01-03-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioracha View Post

The audio pulse that I'm recording is from the Digital Video Essentials Pink Noise Clock test. Once the pink noise is over there's just a nice brief impulse once per second.

The audio chain is a Pioneer DV-533K DVD player digital (coax) out to the Onkyo 805, then via optical to the Marantz. This loop-through eliminates any chance of a delay in the digital connections giving the Marantz a lower latency.

The signal from the Marantz is via a set of headphones connected to the headphone out, and via speakers connected to the Onkyo. I've tried it the other way around to eliminate any delay associated with the speakers, and the difference is minimal.

The speakers are about 1.5m away from the notebook, so you probably assume a 3ms propagation delay and subtract that from the results.

The recording is being done with Audacity via my notebook's inbuilt microphone. Since we're comparing the delay between two external audio signals there are no issues with any latency in the notebook's audio path.

I've compared the results from the digital connection to the Marantz to the analog outputs from the DVD player (via a headphone amp) and the Marantz is dead on, so I think the Marantz results are a good indication of the correct timing for the audio signal.

Well, I'm confused. MonkeyGod, given these new test results, do you still believe that increasing the speaker distance decreases the delay? I've been using your method of increasing speaker distances but I have no way of verifying whether it's helping or not (given your initial findings, I was operating under the assumption that it was helping).

Thanks.
post #197 of 385 Old 01-04-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxxxx View Post

Well, I'm confused. MonkeyGod, given these new test results, do you still believe that increasing the speaker distance decreases the delay? I've been using your method of increasing speaker distances but I have no way of verifying whether it's helping or not (given your initial findings, I was operating under the assumption that it was helping).

Thanks.

I have verified it with my setup. I am not sure how the other person got different results than me. He measured the waveforms similar to how I did it, but this method of testing is more complicated and the difference in results can be attributed to several technical factors that is hard for me dissect without actually being there with his setup.

The best and most simple way I have found in order to noticeably hear the difference between the distance settings is to use the microphone test (for me, i just used a microphone > preamp > analog input into 805). You also can use a computer (mic > computer > analog input to 805). You can use any input to the 805, as long as it is not the multi-ch inputs which have no delay.

Simply tap on the mic and then listen to hear how long it takes before u hear the tap through your speakers. Do this while increasing the spkr distances and you will clearly hear a difference in delay between the minimum and maximum speaker distances.

You only save about 30ms by using the speaker distance trick (from 76ms to 46ms delay), but every bit helps and it is about 40% reduction in delay. This small difference is hard to hear with realworld material, which is why i recommend that you use a microphone in order to assure yourself that you aren't just hearing things after making these setting changes (aka. the placebo effect).
post #198 of 385 Old 01-04-2008, 06:11 AM
Advanced Member

i did notice that the user who reckoned the speaker distance settings made no difference to audio delay also said they had Audyssey turned OFF. Is the delaying of channels based on speaker distance done all the time, or is it only part of the Audyssey EQ? This may be one explanation, assuming MonkeyGod did have Audyssey ON ...
post #199 of 385 Old 01-04-2008, 10:15 AM

Quote:

You only save about 30ms by using the speaker distance trick (from 76ms to 46ms delay), but every bit helps and it is about 40% reduction in delay. This small difference is hard to hear with realworld material, which is why i recommend that you use a microphone in order to assure yourself that you aren't just hearing things after making these setting changes (aka. the placebo effect).

In the Yamaha x800 thread kriktsemaj99 measured the delay with Yamaha:

Quote:

Pure Direct analog: 0ms
Pure Direct optical: 4ms (might just be extra delay in the sound card optical out)
PLIIx analog: 23ms
PLIIx optical: 41ms (could be 37ms if 4ms is due to the sound card optical output)

I also tried adding 30ft to the speaker distance and the delay did not change (which is what I would expect if this feature is implemented properly).

Afaik, there is not noticeable differences in delay with Onkyo no matter are you using DPLIIx or direct (i.e. Onkyo is using all it's DSP all the time, even when "not needed"). Keeping this in mind it is quite in the line with Yamaha's 'PLIIx optical' -measurement when using Onkyo with 30ft tweak.

I'm quite puzzled here. As I know there is this audio lag problem it bugs me sometimes too much. So I have been looking for alternatives, but I'm no longer sure what could be potential replacement.

As I don't have need for great performance for realtime games, I still could solve all my problems with some device that could delay to video (70-90ms) or like 1-2 frames per second. However I haven't found anything like that for reasonable price.
post #200 of 385 Old 01-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow420 View Post

i did notice that the user who reckoned the speaker distance settings made no difference to audio delay also said they had Audyssey turned OFF. Is the delaying of channels based on speaker distance done all the time, or is it only part of the Audyssey EQ? This may be one explanation, assuming MonkeyGod did have Audyssey ON ...

I measured it with Audyssey OFF. I haven't done any testing with it ON because at the time I suspected that that Audyssey EQ XT was the culprit. I also tested with all eq/surround/dsp processing turned off and using Pure Audio mode.
post #201 of 385 Old 01-05-2008, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I measured it with Audyssey OFF. I haven't done any testing with it ON because at the time I suspected that that Audyssey EQ XT was the culprit. I also tested with all eq/surround/dsp processing turned off and using Pure Audio mode.

I would be very interested to hear if the results are the same with Audyssey on. For me the 46ms isn't a problem for HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and most TV. The problem is when ABC HD compounds the delay by adding its' own. I guess ABC has about 60ms or so of its' own which is barely acceptable, but added to our 46ms it is just way too far off.

Games haven't been a problem because I don't play guitar hero, and all other games i've tried don't require pinpoint sync with video/sound.

I Like Digital!
post #202 of 385 Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone found a definitive (proven) method of delaying the HDMI video signal? It seems like a device that could do that would be a commodity here, except for guitar hero players.

I use my HT for movies and TV mostly. If I could delay the video signal by 46ms I'd be happy as a pig in.....

I Like Digital!
post #203 of 385 Old 01-06-2008, 06:37 AM

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a reliable method of testing HDMI.

The only electronic I own that ouputs audio through HDMI is my PS3 and the bulk of my testing is done using a microphone. I do have a USB mic that will work on the PS3, but I don't know how i would begin testing this since its primarly used for online voice communication and for games like Rockband (which won't be a good test because the game already have a delay in the vocals). Maybe the upcoming Singstar for PS3 would work as a test.

Maybe a test with a Guitar Hero 3 demo through PS3 would yield something, but the results won't be as concrete as a microphone test. I can tell you that I don't notice a delay with bluray disc or any other ps3 game I have, but i dont really trust myself to judge an audio delay with that kind of material; its too hard to discern.

UPDATE: I was able to test a microphone through the PS3 via HDMI and found that the audio delay is there. I went to Settings > Accessory Settings > Audio Device Settings. This allows me to test my mic. Keep in mind that I am using a Logitech USB Microphone (the one that comes w/ RockBand). I don't know for certain if the microphone or PS3 introduces any delay. I haven't measured it, but the amount of delay I experienced through HDMI sounded roughly the same as other outputs.
post #204 of 385 Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post

I would be very interested to hear if the results are the same with Audyssey on. For me the 46ms isn't a problem for HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and most TV. The problem is when ABC HD compounds the delay by adding its' own. I guess ABC has about 60ms or so of its' own which is barely acceptable, but added to our 46ms it is just way too far off.

This might not be far off, however there probably some difference how this was measured:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tioracha View Post

This is without Audessey, which adds another 8ms to the delay.

In Yamaha 1800/3800 thread it was measured that in direct mode yamaha had 0-8ms delay in direct mode compared to our Onkyo's 47ms (MonkeyGod with distance tweak) to about 90ms (Tioracha). With PLIIx Yamah got 20-40ms additional delay.

It would be intresting to know if our 47ms is independent of processing modes used OR if we get similar 20-40ms more of delay when we use PLIIx or THX modes over 2.0/5.1 sources.
post #205 of 385 Old 01-06-2008, 08:09 AM

47ms was the absolute minimum I was able to do on the Onkyo805 which is with no processing/eq/surround modes and in Pure Audio mode which is pretty much the same as Direct Mode.

I do remember trying a few surround modes (dont remember which ones) and did not see any difference in my measurements. After I maxed out my spkr settings, I measured many times under different types of surround modes and also with audyssey on and off. During these measurements, the number that consistently kept coming up was 47ms. The numbers only ever changed when I fooled around with the Spkr distance settings. It's the only thing I found that made any measureable difference.
post #206 of 385 Old 01-06-2008, 08:50 AM

Quote:

47ms was the absolute minimum I was able to do on the Onkyo805 which is with no processing/eq/surround modes and in Pure Audio mode which is pretty much the same as Direct Mode.

I do remember trying a few surround modes (dont remember which ones) and did not see any difference in my measurements. After I maxed out my spkr settings, I measured many times under different types of surround modes and also with audyssey on and off. During these measurements, the number that consistently kept coming up was 47ms. The numbers only ever changed when I fooled around with the Spkr distance settings. It's the only thing I found that made any measureable difference.

Thanks. I was considering to get Yamaha 3800 to replace my 805, but as I use nearly always some surround mode (PLIIx for 2.0 TV and PLIIx/THX Ultra2 for 5.1 movies to make them 7.1) the difference between these two receivers (41ms in Yamaha with PLIIx over stereo source) may not be that big.

Maybe I have to start using some artificial picture enchantments on my projector to get the delay between audio and video smaller.
post #207 of 385 Old 01-07-2008, 10:27 AM

I did some measurements (tapping the mic next to speaker and using recording software) and here are some results:

- No measurable or noticeable delay when using Direct or Pure Audio modes with analog inputs. Speaker distance settings had no measurable effect with Pure Audio.

- 64ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MAX speaker distance / Audyssey & EQ OFF with analog inputs.

- 69ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MAX speaker distance / Audyssey ON with analog inputs.

- 69ms delay when using THX Cinema (DPLIIx) / MAX speaker distance / Audyssey & EQ OFF with analog inputs.

- 92ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MIN speaker distance / Audyssey & EQ OFF with analog inputs.

- 94ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MIN speaker distance / Audyssey ON with analog inputs.

- Using Audyssey added about 5ms delay. There has been different measurements about this by others, so this additional delay may be dependant of speaker distance settings and Audysseys own corrections.

- Using THX Cinema mode over DPLIIx added 5ms delay.

- Difference with my system between MIN and MAX speaker distance settings was 28ms.

I also confirmed these settings by using 3.5mm plug splitter connecting old active speakers and Onkyo to that. No echo with Direct or Pure Audio, and noticeable echo with Stereo/DPLIIx/THX modes.

Using optical out added noticeable delay (in range of 20-50ms, I couldn't measure this) even with Pure Audio setting using same comparison, however some of this might be caused by sound card. I also think that the difference between Pure Audio mode and DPLIIx was not as big as with analog, but this I can't confirm.
post #208 of 385 Old 01-07-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:

I did some measurements (tapping the mic next to speaker and using recording software) and here are some results:

- No measurable or noticeable delay when using Direct or Pure Audio modes with analog inputs. Speaker distance settings had no measurable effect with Pure Audio.

- 64ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MAX speaker distance / Audyssey & EQ OFF with analog inputs.

- 69ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MAX speaker distance / Audyssey ON with analog inputs.

- 69ms delay when using THX Cinema (DPLIIx) / MAX speaker distance / Audyssey & EQ OFF with analog inputs.

- 92ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MIN speaker distance / Audyssey & EQ OFF with analog inputs.

- 94ms delay when using Stereo or DPLIIx modes / MIN speaker distance / Audyssey ON with analog inputs.

- Using Audyssey added about 5ms delay. There has been different measurements about this by others, so this additional delay may be dependant of speaker distance settings and Audysseys own corrections.

- Using THX Cinema mode over DPLIIx added 5ms delay.

- Difference with my system between MIN and MAX speaker distance settings was 28ms.

I also confirmed these settings by using 3.5mm plug splitter connecting old active speakers and Onkyo to that. No echo with Direct or Pure Audio, and noticeable echo with Stereo/DPLIIx/THX modes.

Using optical out added noticeable delay (in range of 20-50ms, I couldn't measure this) even with Pure Audio setting using same comparison, however some of this might be caused by sound card. I also think that the difference between Pure Audio mode and DPLIIx was not as big as with analog, but this I can't confirm.

How about using HDMI?
post #209 of 385 Old 01-07-2008, 08:22 PM
Advanced Member

I've been posting in the main 805 thread about the sync issue and someone responded that firmware 1.06 (?) might fix the issue. Anyone know this to be true?

I'm now out of my return/exchange window and would hate to sell this unit for a loss as it is roughly 65 days old. However I've had it with the audio lag. It has made certain channels and programs unwatchable.
Good thing tonight's BCS Championship is in sync. I watch a lot of sports and the worst thing is seeing a jump shot clang off the rim and then hear the sound of that a second later.

Anyone considering other avr's or hoping this thing gets resolved via firmware?
post #210 of 385 Old 01-08-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:

Interesting results. It's different from what i've measured. Can you let me know specifically which analog inputs you used?

I tested mine using the receiver's front panel analog input (right side input only). I disabled all spkrs aside from the Mains and measured only the right speaker.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page