Are either of these recievers really bad? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.
We are getting a new HT setup by some company and I went to talk to the guy a couple days ago (I am not a expert on HT--hence I come here). I was just updating some of the units since we talked to him 8 months ago to get a estimate...and now that its time to order some of the things, I wanted to get some newer tech.

Anyways, I wanted something with HDMI for sure, and the ones they currently had where the:
Yamamha RXV861B
and the
Integra DTR 7.8
Both of these are roughly the same price ($1000). Which one of the two would you get? I think I might be order some other recievers if you can supply me with some model numbers (wanting to keep around the same price). But first are any of these recievers really bad?

I think each comes with 3 HDMI spots, I was wondering in the future if I needed more would I have to get a new reciever or if I could buy some that splits a signal or something like that (Sat. TV, Projector, Video Game, is all I am using for HDMI now, not sure what I might need later on)

-------------------------------------------------
Thats the actual reciever question. I also had a question about projectors, I am not sure how much you guys know about that in the reciever section, but if you could answer I would appreciate it, if not, I will post on the projector area instead.

Also, what type of projector should I get? We are getting a PS3 for bluray...and naturally 1080p would be ideal to display the full quality of the dvds.

The person at the store was saying that maybe we should get 1080i right now because of how much cheaper it was...and potentially upgrade to 1080p in a year or so when there are more options and cheaper price (I believe he was pitching a lower end model of the Sony 1080p projector)--the screen is a little over a 100 inches (not sure if that matters). Would upgrading a projector be as simple as just unplugging the old one and replacing it with something else...or is it slighly more complex than that?

Also, are there any other gadgets I should consider adding to the setup while its still being put togeather?
Is there anything I could look at so I can connect a computer/hdd/or something to view stuff right off the computer?

I really appreciate that time you take out to answer my question!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

bump
post #3 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
The 861 is $899 from Best Buy. You could probably get it at a better price elsewhere. I have not heard anything bad about it. I don't know anything about the integra - it is an upscale version of Onkyo. They both are decent receivers. For digital displays, you should look at the native resolution. A display could take 1080i or even 1080p, but if its native pixels is not 1920x1080, then it is not true 1080p. 1080p projectors are around $3000 right now. 720p projectors are a lot cheaper. Sony 1080p projectors are around $5000 I think. They may have come down in price a little bit.
post #4 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter

Where can I find the true resolution of the recievers I am looking at?
Also, what is the true resolution of 1080p?
post #5 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Are the native pixels for either of these 1080p? I have no idea what I am looking at?
I have posted the links below in case you have some time, maybe you can take a look into it.

http://www.integrahometheater.com/m...ss=Receiver&p=s

and

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/...DETYP=ATTRIBUTE
post #6 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by paparay View Post

Where can I find the true resolution of the recievers I am looking at?

???

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #7 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 10:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I am talking about the resolution of the TV. You are talking about receivers!!! Most new receivers pass through up to 1080p. Some upscale to 720p (H/K 247), some upscale to 1080i (H/K 745), some upscale all the way to 1080p (Onkyo 875). Since more and more content is HD native (like Bluray, HD-DVD, HD- cable, satellite, HD-OTA etc), you need to make sure the HDMI port on the receiver can do a good pass through to your TV. And your TV does well in displaying the image. The two receivers you mentioned should be able to pass through up to 1080p.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-17-2007, 10:13 PM - Thread Starter

We are actually getting a projector for a HT, not a TV, (it will likely be 1080p), so I guess everyone would work out fine?

So those recievers should work out fine?
How many HDMI slots would they have?
Say I am connecting a PS3, HD Direct TV (not sure about the resolution on this, or if it uses HDMI--anyone know, and a connetion to the projector) Would that be enough?

Also say I want to get something else that has HDMI in the future, can I bu something to use HDMI, or would I need a new reciver to get true quality.

Finally (sorry for buggint you), is there some way I can watch movies that are on a home computer (laptop) or on my external HDD on the TV in good resolution? I have a ton of home videos on my computer and its a pain to burn them all to DVD--is there some device or something that would help me out?
post #9 of 9 Old 07-18-2007, 05:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
DirecTv does use HDMI, at least on the recorders. They also have component on them. You can hook your computer straight into your receiver to watch anything you have on there, or even use the internet or whatever. All you need are a few cables. It would be best if your projector had a pc input, most do.
I don't know your budget, but for 1080p projectors I would recommend the JVC RS-1

Also, I would get the Intera 7.8 over the Yamaha, it has more HDMI inputs and a stronger amplifier. It should be similar to the Onkyo 805 in features, which I think is the best receiver for around $1000.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page