THX Select 2 or Ultra 2? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I've read that THX Select 2 is for rooms of ~ 2000 cu ft, and Ultra 2 for those of ~ 3000 cu ft or larger. My room is ~ 2000 cu ft, so does that mean that it would be better for me NOT to get an AVR that is rated Ultra 2, like the Onkyo 805 or 875? The Pio Elite 91 and 92 are rated as Select 2, so would they be better? Or is this THX rating business that meaningful? TIA, Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 93
there is more to it than that if you have 4ohm speakers and listen at loud levels i would
lean towards ultra 2 or separates. you would probably like to visit the thx website for all
the differences.
post #3 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
More is always better...

In the end, I don't use the THX cert as a criteria for equipment consideration.

It may have one or the other, or have no THX certification. I do use the associated THX post processing modes though, so maybe it's more important to me than I think here.
post #4 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The THX processing modes are essentially the same between Ultra2 and Select2.

Although Ultra2 may give you some more control. On the Onkyo 805, I can disable the THX ReEQ curve. On my previous receiver, the Pioneer 1015, you could not disable the curve. So you had to apply all the THX processes at once.

Being able to disable the ReEQ is a very important feature to have because some tracks don't require the curve and others do.

Ultra2 has a higher set of amplifier standards. See hometheaterhifi.com for an article on THX. THX does not publish their minimum specs to the public.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Thanks to all for the above replies. I have read the hometheaterhifi article, and it was part of the reason for my question, i.e., the Select2 was geared for small rooms, and Ultra2 for large rooms. It may very well be as suggested above, though, that Ultra2 is simply more capable and better, even for smaller rooms (though it may not be NECESSARY for them).

I suppose I should just wait until the Onkyos (805, 875)--which are rated Ultra2--and Elites (91 and 92)--which are rated Select2--have been out a while to hear how they compare with each other. Though the Onkyos look better on paper, I still have a high regard for Pioneer Elites.
post #6 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I absolutely LOVE the sound of Elites. IMO, they are the perfect balance between warm and bright. They're not neutral but slightly warmish. I'm waiting for a review of the new Pioneers before diving in.

I like the sound of Pioneers and Denons but need the awesome processing of Reon, but they don't have it.

It seems like I want to give my money away, but no one wants to take it.

No animals were harmed in the creation of this sentence.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-17-2007, 04:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightninesuited View Post

I absolutely LOVE the sound of Elites. IMO, they are the perfect balance between warm and bright. They're not neutral but slightly warmish. I'm waiting for a review of the new Pioneers before diving in.

I like the sound of Pioneers and Denons but need the awesome processing of Reon, but they don't have it.

It seems like I want to give my money away, but no one wants to take it.

I have a Sammy 1200 BRD, which has the Reon chip for upconversion of sd dvds, and it outputs 1080p/24 to my projector (RS1), which accepts 1080p/24. So it seems I really have nothing go gain from video processing in an AVR; so the Reon chip in the Onkyo will be 'wasted' for me. The main thing I need a new AVR for is to be able to get the new audio codices via HDMI from the BRD. (My present AVR, a Pio 1014, is able to get them over 5.1 analog 'Multichannel' channels, but it doesn't handle the LFE channel correctly.)
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page