"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 6044 Old 07-22-2007, 10:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm.... I think I am going to jump off the pre-order boat. The main draw for me was the video upscaling and it looks like it's fraught w/ problems...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 6044 Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I'll withhold my final opinion till after a thorough revisit of some familiar movies. For music I would give the slight edge to the Onkyo. Vocals sound a bit fuller and the highs (Alison Krauss), seem to have a little more air to them. I can also gather a little bit better separation. Now whether this can be contributed to the Audessey over the MCACC of the Pioneer, or just better DAC's it's tough to say.

Could this difference be attributed to the Onkyo being a new fun toy that everyone is interested in? Reason I ask is that "sound memory" is not very accurate (especially considering you're in no way controlling for scores of variables). Are you able to instantly switch from one source receiver to the other or are you comparing after re-wiring?

The reason I'm very skeptical (other than the fact that this is almost a purely subjective matter) is that you chose to use terms like "seems," "slight edge," "bit fuller," "a little bit better." Combine the ambiguity of your descriptive terms with the fact that your ears are connected to a baised brain and I think it's safe to assume you really don't know either way. Besides, as you admitted your percieved preference could even be explained simply by the setup and EQ... well if that could explain it then probably so could other variables.

I'm not picking on you though, you're only human like the rest of us. I probably wouldn't trust my own opinion in your circumstance either.
post #363 of 6044 Old 07-22-2007, 11:51 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Location: New Orleans' North Shore-beautiful St. Tammany Parish LA
Briefly off topic:
Quote:

On a positive note, I just got through listening to Alison Krausse and Union Square on SACD. In pure direct mode it was amazing. Very good sound stage and good separation.

I saw Alison Krauss and Union Station in concert last month in Jackson, MS and man, she was awsome! Beautiful to look at and beautiful voice! BTW, she's 36 today, 7/23!

Back on topic:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnn1265 View Post

I think a lot of people at this point are wanting to go with the new Denon reciever models (i.e. 3808, 4308) for the historically good sound quality but are being attracted to the Onkyo models (875, 905) because of the superior Reon VP and a few other features. I hope that sums-up the general consunsus pretty well.........

That sums it up perfectly in my case. But because of some of the problems being reported early on for the 875 video processing, HDMI1 problem, and popping situation, I'm waiting for more test results on both before I pull the trigger on either the 875 or the 3808ci. But, I gotta' have what I'm going to get in place by September so W. Jeff Meier can do his magic in October!
post #364 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:

Could this difference be attributed to the Onkyo being a new fun toy that everyone is interested in? Reason I ask is that "sound memory" is not very accurate (especially considering you're in no way controlling for scores of variables). Are you able to instantly switch from one source receiver to the other or are you comparing after re-wiring?

The reason I'm very skeptical (other than the fact that this is almost a purely subjective matter) is that you chose to use terms like "seems," "slight edge," "bit fuller," "a little bit better." Combine the ambiguity of your descriptive terms with the fact that your ears are connected to a baised brain and I think it's safe to assume you really don't know either way. Besides, as you admitted your percieved preference could even be explained simply by the setup and EQ... well if that could explain it then probably so could other variables.

I'm not picking on you though, you're only human like the rest of us. I probably wouldn't trust my own opinion in your circumstance either.

Don't worry I would be asking the same thing. When I hear others comment on listening comparisons I take it with a grain of salt.

It is impossible to accurately judge the two without doing a side by side A B comparison, and even then I think the differences would be minimal. Which is one reason why I used abiguous, as you put it, descriptive terms. I was in no way blown away by the improved audio quality, it wasn't like a sheet was lifted from my speakers, it just sounded better to me.

One thing you can't accuse me of is being biased over a new "toy" however. If you read my posts, I am probably harder on this new receiver than anyone else. I have been very critical, perhaps overly so, of it's flaws. So believe me when I say, I am not biasing my thoughts towards it any way at all. Would I like to be justified in spending more money on a receiver that I am finding I really don't need, sure. Am I overlooking it's shortcomings because of it, definitely not.

Quote:

I saw Alison Krauss and Union Station in concert last month in Jackson, MS and man, she was awsome! Beautiful to look at and beautiful voice! BTW, she's 36 today, 7/23!

Man, I would love to see her live. She is definitely a looker, and the right Zodiak sign to boot.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #365 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 10:31 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I find it strange that j&r isn't even listing the 875 on their website. I was under the impression that j&r was New York's biggest retailer and the U.S's biggest on-line e-tailer. But I guess on the brightside, a lot of people will have theirs first and that'll give me time to cancel the 905 if the consensus is poor on the 875's and first 905's as far as Reon implementation goes. I'm really looking forward to Joerods impressions when his 875 arrives soon.
post #366 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 10:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think a lot of people at this point are wanting to go with the new Denon reciever models (i.e. 3808, 4308) for the historically good sound quality but are being attracted to the Onkyo models (875, 905) because of the superior Reon VP and a few other features. I hope that sums-up the general consunsus pretty well. .

That pretty much sums it up. The Denon has a lot of nice features in addition to the sound, it just that for the money being spent, I'd prefer to have the better video processor.

I'd also like to find out exactly why the Onkyo's are so much heavier.
post #367 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 AM

if the 875 0r the 905 dont cut it. what receiver should i get

no one is touting the pioneers, or the dennon

i have the 905 on order
post #368 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

i think most would go for the new denons. but those aren't out yet either.
post #369 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofoobar View Post

Hmm.... I think I am going to jump off the pre-order boat. The main draw for me was the video upscaling and it looks like it's fraught w/ problems...

All of us on pre-order are taking a bit of a risk, so I don't blame you for bailing!

At the same time, I've not seen anything to scare me off yet. Most of the video scaling issues seem to be with older 720p displays. I'm more hopeful that using new 1080p displays will work a lot better.

As for HDMI issues, I'd be surprised if the Denon (or other receivers) didn't have similar quirks. There's a lot of equipment out there with poorly implemented HDMI. I suspect any receiver ideally has to attempt to deal with many of these poorly implemented HDMI connections, and it may or may not deal with it successfully. HDMI is conceptually great, but technically very complex, with each new version adding more complexity. Dump the mess with HDCP on top of it, and it's lucky it all works at all! Let's hope new gear gets it right.
post #370 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:10 AM
Advanced Member

so far I've heard reports of popping over hdmi with the ps3 and hd-a1. is anyone having popping with the hd-xa2? That's what I have. I realize the ps3 is 1.3a but I believe the a1 is 1.1 or 1.2 and I'm wondering if the popping and handshaking is hdmi 1.1, 1.2 related.
post #371 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 AM

I would love to see some before & after shots of an SD broadcast on a 1080p native display.

Samsung UN55B8500 (In Transit),Parasound Halo A51 & HCA-3500,Energy Veritas 2.4, 2.3, 2.2 & 2.0R's 7.1Onkyo 906 & 3007Oppo BDP-83, PS3
post #372 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertparker View Post

if the 875 0r the 905 dont cut it. what receiver should i get

no one is touting the pioneers, or the dennon

i have the 905 on order

It may depend on whether or not the street prices for the Elites and Denons fall as fast as have the Onkyos.
post #373 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp2 View Post

so far I've heard reports of popping over hdmi with the ps3 and hd-a1. is anyone having popping with the hd-xa2? That's what I have. I realize the ps3 is 1.3a but I believe the a1 is 1.1 or 1.2 and I'm wondering if the popping and handshaking is hdmi 1.1, 1.2 related.

Just to clarify, the only time I get popping with my HDA1 is when I go into the setup menu. Playing dvd's doesn't exhibit this problem, so I doubt it will be an issue with the XA2.

Achievement Unlocked

post #374 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

It may depend on whether or not the street prices for the Elites and Denons fall as fast as have the Onkyos.

If history repeats itself, I would expect the Denons to maintain their value fairly well. I don't remember them dropping as much as some of the other brands.

Achievement Unlocked

post #375 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:21 AM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv View Post

Quote:

Man, I would love to see her live. She is definitely a looker, and the right Zodiak sign to boot.

Most fabulous 2 hours I've spent in a while.

bass addict, good luck with your 875. I'm watching these problems closely as I'm considering the 875 and the Denon 3808ci.
post #376 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Anyone heard from J&R yet? Nothing yet for me, and my CC hasn't been charged yet.

I guess they'll need to do an inventory first. So maybe it'll take a couple of days.
post #377 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 11:50 AM
Advanced Member

I'm hoping that the batch jand r gets in is a 2nd run batch from onkyo and that onkyo has found and fixed the popping issue. I know that popping/clicking is normal when the audio switches from one codec to another, but having read the popping thread and hearing how some people have random popping throughout the movie, I hope onkyo will have fixed any issues on their end by the time my 905 arrives.
post #378 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewOrlnsDukie View Post

Anyone heard from J&R yet? Nothing yet for me, and my CC hasn't been charged yet.

I guess they'll need to do an inventory first. So maybe it'll take a couple of days.

I called J&r today, nothing as of yet and I was before number ten on the preorder list, so I called on call and they matched the price and will be delivered thursday

Panasonic 58inch 700u
Polk audio Lsi-15 -towers
Polk audio Lsi-c center
Polk audio Lc-80i rears
Onkyo 875 reciever
Toshiba HD-A2
Amp Adcom 7805
post #379 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You didn't hear. J&R decided to return all of the 875's back to Onkyo until they can get the problems sorted out. The said they didn't want it to affect their reputation.

Achievement Unlocked

post #380 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:33 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Quote:

You didn't hear. J&R decided to return all of the 875's back to Onkyo until they can get the problems sorted out. The said they didn't want it to affect their reputation.

Whoa....DUDE!!
post #381 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv View Post

Whoa....DUDE!!

I'm just messin with ya.

Achievement Unlocked

post #382 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:45 PM
sjv
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just messin with ya.

Man! That really looked official.
post #383 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

We're getting mixed signals here, because I just called J&R and the lady said they'll be here "the week of 7/23". Last week was a different answer, "they will be here on monday 7/23 and will start shipping them out". I'm getting a little sick of getting the run-around on this. J&R has had me on a preorder list for almost 4 months. First it was the 805 and then I switched to the 875 right before they started their preorders. Is the information about them refusing a shipment correct? I told the lady on the phone that people are walking into stores and buying these off the shelf, while people on preorder have been waiting forever. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a bad AVR either, but there's a limit to how much BS a person can take. Also, where are people getting these numbers about where they stand on the list. I never received one and I was calling back when they would say, "Onkyo 875, we no such model listed in our system". I know one thing if I'm not in the first shipment out to the public then my order is going to be cancelled. Venting over.
post #384 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trxjwb View Post

I called J&r today, nothing as of yet and I was before number ten on the preorder list, so I called on call and they matched the price and will be delivered thursday

man, I have to admit that's tempting.

with my luck, I'll order from one call, cancel my pre-order from J&R (I think I am actually #10 on their list, but not sure), and then get a call back from one call saying that they were now out of stock.

I think the lazy part of me will win out. I've waited long enough for this thing. A few more days of waiting won't kill me...

probably.
post #385 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesns69 View Post

We're getting mixed signals here, because I just called J&R and the lady said they'll be here "the week of 8/23". Last week was a different answer, "they will be here on monday 8/23 and will start shipping them out". I'm getting a little sick of getting the run-around on this. J&R has had me on a preorder list for almost 4 months. First it was the 805 and then I switched to the 875 right before they started their preorders. Is the information about them refusing a shipment correct? I told the lady on the phone that people are walking into stores and buying these off the shelf, while people on preorder have been waiting forever. Don't get me wrong, I don't want a bad AVR either, but there's a limit to how much BS a person can take. Also, where are people getting these numbers about where they stand on the list. I never received one and I was calling back when they would say, "Onkyo 875, we no such model listed in our system". I know one thing if I'm not in the first shipment out to the public then my order is going to be cancelled. Venting over.

I feel your pain. You may not be happy to hear that the info you got today from J&R is in keeping w/ what lrstevens posted last week. He said they were getting them LATE this week. Then I heard that someone else had said they were coming in on Monday of this week. Now, I don't remember if lrstevens is an employee of J&R or if he is just very familiar w/ them, but he seems to have good info usually.

So, indeed, what you heard from J&R today, in addition to some posts from informed folks on this board, makes it sound like they aren't even getting them for a few days...
post #386 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:

I feel your pain. You may not be happy to hear that the info you got today from J&R is in keeping w/ what lrstevens posted last week. He said they were getting them LATE this week. Then I heard that someone else had said they were coming in on Monday of this week. Now, I don't remember if lrstevens is an employee of J&R or if he is just very familiar w/ them, but he seems to have good info usually.

So, indeed, what you heard from J&R today, in addition to some posts from informed folks on this board, makes it sound like they aren't even getting them for a few days...

if you read the earlier post it states 8/23 which is August and I believe you are assuming 7/23.

Not sure who had a typo!!
post #387 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljunks View Post

if you read the earlier post it states 8/23 which is August and I believe you are assuming 7/23.

lol

didn't even notice that.

Yeah, I'm assuming he meant 7/23.

If it's 8/23, J&R and I need to have a little talk.
post #388 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

If it is 8/23, then you should ask for POST-order pricing! Hahaha.
post #389 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alljunks View Post

Sorry, that was my typo mistake. They're coming the week of 7/23. I was angry when I was typing my message because the lady didn't know what to say when I asked what number I was on the list. She sounded like I just made it up. So some sales people seem to be more informative than others. I'm not saying I'm first on the list, but I know I'm in the top ten. They've had my credit card info since april. They're customer service department must not all be on the same page or something. Didn't mean to scare anyone.
post #390 of 6044 Old 07-23-2007, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I've got August on the brain because that's supposed to be when the Sony 1080p/24 HDMI 1.3 HDTVs are going to start coming out. I'm typing faster than I'm thinking. The joke about J&R sending their order back wasn't very amusing. After I heard that, that's when felt moved to put in my 2 cents. Everyone go back to the countdown. We should have these AVRs before the holidays and 1080p/24 displays too, of course if that's what you want.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page