Forum Jump: 

post #4501 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

It shows both. But common wisdom at this point is to turn off the OSD, as it seems to add some artifacting to the image (more visible the larger your display).

I don't notice a difference on my 61" display, but to each his own.

Kent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:28 PM

Hi all,

I just bought the SR875 last week and hooked to the TV via component monitor output (setup with 1080i resolution). I'm experiencing the following problem and wonder if anyone is having the same issue. It appears the receiver doesn't up scale video signal when the orginal DVD is played. As when DVD-R is being played, the volume font display on TV screen is much smaller (50% smaller) than orginal DVD. Therefore, I think the unit doesn't upscale the video signal when orginal DVD is played. I wonder why the unit is acting this way.

Thanks very much.
post #4503 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:

It shows both. But common wisdom at this point is to turn off the OSD, as it seems to add some artifacting to the image (more visible the larger your display).

on hdmi it only show`s volume (it says in manual thx recommends you to turn off osd) but who listens to them lol
post #4504 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by namuk View Post

on hdmi it only show`s volume (it says in manual thx recommends you to turn off osd) but who listens to them lol

again, I only have HDMI running to my display, and I have both showing on the TV.

Kent
post #4505 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 View Post

again, I only have HDMI running to my display, and I have both showing on the TV.

Kent

were is your volume showing and the sound format on tv?
post #4506 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 View Post

I can confirm. I also get the sound mode displayed after it's changed in the lower right hand corner.

Quote:

Quote:

(it says in manual thx recommends you to turn off osd) but who listens to them lol

Has anyone actually noticed a difference? The way I read the THX recommendation was that they were essentially suggesting settingst that turn off the Reon processing, suggesting that THX is simply saying any processing is bad. But obviously, the Reon is one of the reasons to go to the 875.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #4507 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

I can confirm. I also get the sound mode displayed after it's changed in the lower right hand corner.

Has anyone actually noticed a difference? The way I read the THX recommendation was that they were essentially suggesting settingst that turn off the Reon processing, suggesting that THX is simply saying any processing is bad. But obviously, the Reon is one of the reasons to go to the 875.

right then sorted sound format not shown when you hit volume . only when you change sound format

also i no what you mean i also got the 875 for the reon . i read that in manual and lol why say that and give a thx rating to amp odd
post #4508 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

only when you change sound format

I don't think anyone suggested otherwise. You also only get the volume display when you change the volume.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #4509 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, and it's significant. The OSD adds a film grain effect over the image. It's extremely noticable on my 110" screen. Yes I have the most recent firmware.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #4510 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:

I don't think anyone suggested otherwise. You also only get the volume display when you change the volume.

Talontsi96 did in above post i answered same as you the change mode is new to me in film . but never noticed it .
post #4511 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Yes, and it's significant. The OSD adds a film grain effect over the image. It's extremely noticable on my 110" screen. Yes I have the most recent firmware.

jesus who has a 110 screen lol . i dont notice it on my 150 screen joking
post #4512 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Do you see this only when the OSD is active and showing volume and listening mode or at all times when OSD is simply enabled?
post #4513 of 6047 Old 05-21-2008, 06:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 355
Quote:

according to the test report in the current issue of Home Theater enabling the OSD will affect the quality of the video output. I've never seen the affect you are describing however.

post #4514 of 6047 Old 05-22-2008, 01:49 AM
Advanced Member

After a dealer swap out of my first 875, I'm still experiencing an 11-second loss of signal to any of three TVs tested, via HDMI, when changing the resolution through a source device.

This is especially noticeable when changing cable box channels which go from any combination of 1080i, 720p or 480i. According to Onkyo, there should be a maximum of 5-seconds delay when changing channels involving a source resolution change and there should not be a loss of signal during the process. An Onkyo SR705 worked fine in the same AV set-up.

What's the real clincher is even pressing the "set-up" button to bring up the OSD causes an 11-second delay before the OSD is seen. Exiting from the OSD causes the same 11-second delay before a video image is restored to the TV. Even with no source devices connected to the 875 this occurs. Changing the HDMI output resolution (Auto, Through, 1080P, etc.) makes no difference in the delay.

Onkyo is so perplexed by this unusual operation that they are picking-up my unit to perform diagnostics on it at their research department in NJ. If they can't fix the problem, they said they'll replace it. So no AV receiver for a week to 10-days...
post #4515 of 6047 Old 05-22-2008, 06:31 PM
TDH

My 875 has been working just fine for months with a Pioneer set, Panasonic Blu-ray player, X-box 360 and a DTV HD receiver. Everything output to monitor via HDMI.

Tonight the sound and video are gone (working fine earlier today). It looks like their is no signal being delivered to the receiver.

I updated the firmware to 1.08 several weeks ago (along with the DSP update) and have not had any issue previously.

I have turned the 875 off and on; unplugged/replugged it without luck.

I did put the equipment into a cabinet a week or so ago, but the back is vented and there's about 10 inches of clearance above the receiver, so I question if it's a heat issue ... but maybe.

Any ideas appreciated ... I hate to take the machine into the service center ...

Thanks in advance.

Tim
post #4516 of 6047 Old 05-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Well I don't know how you guys are getting the display to show up through HDMI (ie volume and sound mode). I just picked up an 875 and hooked it up to compare the sound video etc against my RXV1800. Anyway, I can not get the volume to show up when running a PS3 blu ray (at 1080p-24fps) through HDMI. I also see this on page 97 of the manual under Immediate Display (which I have set to ON) "Even if On is selected, operation details are not output if the input source is connected to a COMPONENT VIDEO IN or HDMI IN." so what is up with this? How in the hell are you guys getting this to display... please enlighten me...
post #4517 of 6047 Old 05-22-2008, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post

Well I don't know how you guys are getting the display to show up through HDMI (ie volume and sound mode). I just picked up an 875 and hooked it up to compare the sound video etc against my RXV1800. Anyway, I can not get the volume to show up when running a PS3 blu ray (at 1080p-24fps) through HDMI. I also see this on page 97 of the manual under Immediate Display (which I have set to ON) "Even if On is selected, operation details are not output if the input source is connected to a COMPONENT VIDEO IN or HDMI IN." so what is up with this? How in the hell are you guys getting this to display... please enlighten me...

I dont believe it will at 1080p/24. The Onkyo's simply pass p/24 thru without touching it. If you switch Blu-ray to any other mode then you should see it.
post #4518 of 6047 Old 05-22-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

I dont believe it will at 1080p/24. The Onkyo's simply pass p/24 thru without touching it. If you switch Blu-ray to any other mode then you should see it.

Correct. I see that it does display it now...on everything but 1080p24fps...

However, I'm having a big problem I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I have connected the output to HDMI of course and I get menus and volume etc... However the receiver will not upconvert the other inputs (namely my XBOX 360 connected with component) to HDMI. I just get no signal. I went through the manual step by step. Set up my Component input 2 (to which the Xbox is connected) to TV/CBL input on the receiver. I also set the optical in to Input 2. I get sound but I get no picture through HDMI.. however if I switch the TV onto component I get the XBOx picture. Therefore the 875 just passes through the Componet signal instead of upconverting it to HDMI. I'm lost... I was going to check the REON upconverting with a DVD using the Xbox but can not get the damn receiver to upconvert the component to HDMI... I set the output of the HDMI to yes and 1080p (native resolution of my display)

Is there a trick to this?
post #4519 of 6047 Old 05-22-2008, 10:48 PM

Never mind I figured it out. The 875 will not pass 1080p from component to HDMI. Once I set the resolution of the Xbox360 to 1080i the signal went through the 875 HDMI port.
post #4520 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Advanced Member

This morning I am doing the DSP Update for the HD-DTS popping issue. It all went well and got the writing 1-3 DSP in the display but after writing the 3rd one it went to S/PDIF update with the blinking dots. I never got the "complete" or "clear" massage on the display and its been about 10 minutes now. Never shut itself off either. Is this normal for it to take this long and what should I do next?
post #4521 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

This morning I am doing the DSP Update for the HD-DTS popping issue. It all went well and got the writing 1-3 DSP in the display but after writing the 3rd one it went to S/PDIF update with the blinking dots. I never got the "complete" or "clear" massage on the display and its been about 10 minutes now. Never shut itself off either. Is this normal for it to take this long and what should I do next?

Read the instructions that came with the update:

It is possible, that the unit will
not switch OFF automatically, in this case wait for another 10 minutes before switching OFF manually.

After you turn it off, you'll see Clear on the front panel. When you turn it back on, you'll have to do the initial setup over again.
post #4522 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

Read the instructions that came with the update:

It is possible, that the unit will
not switch OFF automatically, in this case wait for another 10 minutes before switching OFF manually.

After you turn it off, you'll see Clear on the front panel. When you turn it back on, you'll have to do the initial setup over again.

I just shut it down per your advice and during shut down it displayed "Clear". So it appears all went well after all. I did read the instructions but I was expecting the display to read "Complete" then "Clear" and then possibly not shutting off. I thought maybe perhaps it locked up during the update.

I get very nervous doing updates. Most of the time it goes without a problem but i did brick a few DVD players in my time doing it. Something as simple as a slight power surge during the update and its bricked.

Up next is the firmware update but I need to get a RS-232 cable. I thought I had one around here but its been ages since I have seen it. I am still on 1.04.
post #4523 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

For me, the firmware update was easier than the DSP update, but it is the more dangerous of the two. AFAIK, you can't brick an 875 doing the DSP update, but you can if something goes wrong doing the main firmware update.
post #4524 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 11:39 AM

Some months ago (like last August or so), there was a fair amount of discussion re: motion stutter/judder coming from cable box sources (notably Motorola 6412/6416). The only way around it was to set the 875 to Through and thus having 2 effects:

1. Defeating the primary purpose of the 875 over the 805.
2. Further exacerbating the audio lag (audio behind video) since video was now bypassing all processing.

My question is, have the latest firmware updates resolved or helped the stuttering issue at all?

I haven't gotten around to updating yet (still wainting on my RS232 cable from Monprice), but was just curious.

Thanks
post #4525 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 11:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn View Post

according to the test report in the current issue of Home Theater enabling the OSD will affect the quality of the video output. I've never seen the affect you are describing however.

I can absolutely say it does. I also saw some very weird motion effects on a CW show, that went away when the OSD was turned off (granted, the motion effects were on one show, but it was really annoying).

Anyway, having the OSD turned on effects everything, whether the OSD is on the screen or not. If you don't notice it, great (I wish I didn't notice it, but between the weird visual layer it puts over everything and the motion effects, it's unusable for me).

Glad to see this confirmed by an objective test report.

TiVo is on it's way out - stream everything!
post #4526 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 12:11 PM

How do I check what firmware is currently in my unit?
post #4527 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 12:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talontsi96 View Post

How do I check what firmware is currently in my unit?

On the front panel, hold Display then press Standby to display the main firmware. Press the > under the Tone button within a couple seconds to see the DSP and other firmware versions.
post #4528 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoal74 View Post

Some months ago (like last August or so), there was a fair amount of discussion re: motion stutter/judder coming from cable box sources (notably Motorola 6412/6416). The only way around it was to set the 875 to Through and thus having 2 effects:

1. Defeating the primary purpose of the 875 over the 805.
2. Further exacerbating the audio lag (audio behind video) since video was now bypassing all processing.

My question is, have the latest firmware updates resolved or helped the stuttering issue at all?

I haven't gotten around to updating yet (still wainting on my RS232 cable from Monprice), but was just curious.

Thanks

I'm also interested in this. Anyone?
post #4529 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 01:38 PM

I just received the 875 yesterday from J&R. I hooked up the PS3 & Comcast cable box(Motorola DCH3416) via HDMI to the 875. My TV is a bit old, Pioneer SD-532HD5, 1080i max, and only has component inputs, no HDMI. So I have component output from the 875 to the TV. I do plan on updating my TV, but not until the fall...anyhoo.

I set the 875 monitor output HDMI to "no" and max resolution to 1080i. My problem is that I get either a blue screen or a very brief picture, from both the PS3 & cable box. I have sound but no picture on both. I even tried setting the resolution output down to 480p, same effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #4530 of 6047 Old 05-23-2008, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Jafo View Post

I just received the 875 yesterday from J&R. I hooked up the PS3 & Comcast cable box(Motorola DCH3416) via HDMI to the 875. My TV is a bit old, Pioneer SD-532HD5, 1080i max, and only has component inputs, no HDMI. So I have component output from the 875 to the TV. I do plan on updating my TV, but not until the fall...anyhoo.

I set the 875 monitor output HDMI to "no" and max resolution to 1080i. My problem is that I get either a blue screen or a very brief picture, from both the PS3 & cable box. I have sound but no picture on both. I even tried setting the resolution output down to 480p, same effect. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can't do HDMI in and component out. It's the only combination that doesn't work. HCDP requires that the output be no more than 480p, so not many receivers bother to support it at all.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page