"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #4681 of 6055 Old 06-24-2008, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking at pages 74 to 77 of the 875 manual I am unable to determine the difference between Direct and Multichannel listening modes. Let me give a couple of use cases I am dealing with.

I have an 875 with 5.1 speakers and its connected to a DMP-BD30 BluRay player via HDMI.

I used 3:10 to Yuma on Bluray to do some experimenting. It has two audio tracks, a) Uncompressed 7.1 and b) Dolby 5.1

1) When I selected Uncompressed 7.1 the input indicators for all 8 channels came on indicating that the HDMI connection was providing all of the 7.1 data. What is the difference between listening in Multichannel versus Direct mode here? Will one or the other modes down convert to 5.1 speakers?

2) When I select the Dolby 5.1, the indicators show Dolby Digital 5.1 input correctly, but the sound from the Uncompressed 7.1 seemed louder and clearer. Note that I have the BD30 set to output "bitstream" for all the compression modes it supports. So its possible the decode in the 875 is the source of the difference here.

Anyone know definitively what the best (i.e. closest to what the film director and producer want you to hear) listening mode for the Uncompressed LPCM format is??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 6055 Old 06-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

No you should not get A shock from touching your Onkyo 875's outer chasseys something is wrong. Maybe your power point is wired up wrong, get A power point/leakage tester (very inexpensive) to confirm that your power point is wired up correctly.
Test for (1: No Earth connected.(2: Active and Earth reversed.(3:Active and Neutral reversed....

Problem solved!
Found out that there were two wrong polarity connections. Now in excellent working condition.

Thanks.
post #4683 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 05:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeduck View Post

Looking at pages 74 to 77 of the 875 manual I am unable to determine the difference between Direct and Multichannel listening modes. Let me give a couple of use cases I am dealing with.

I have an 875 with 5.1 speakers and its connected to a DMP-BD30 BluRay player via HDMI.

I used 3:10 to Yuma on Bluray to do some experimenting. It has two audio tracks, a) Uncompressed 7.1 and b) Dolby 5.1

1) When I selected Uncompressed 7.1 the input indicators for all 8 channels came on indicating that the HDMI connection was providing all of the 7.1 data. What is the difference between listening in Multichannel versus Direct mode here? Will one or the other modes down convert to 5.1 speakers?

2) When I select the Dolby 5.1, the indicators show Dolby Digital 5.1 input correctly, but the sound from the Uncompressed 7.1 seemed louder and clearer. Note that I have the BD30 set to output "bitstream" for all the compression modes it supports. So its possible the decode in the 875 is the source of the difference here.

Anyone know definitively what the best (i.e. closest to what the film director and producer want you to hear) listening mode for the Uncompressed LPCM format is??

The Direct listening mode turns off Audyssey equalization, bass management and tone controls. It provides only the minimal processing of the input signal. Since it turns off bass management, it's not very effective unless your main speakers have good bass extension.

People who think Direct or Pure Audio sound much better than using the standard mode for the selected audio format should experiment with turning Audyssey equalization off.
post #4684 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 08:09 AM

Has anyone found a solution to the forced stretch problem yet? My TV does not allow me to change the aspect ratio for signals coming in via HD, so I am stuck viewing a horrible stretched image for 480i SD scaled by the Reon to 720p. I am currently auditioning the Denon 3808CI and the Onkyo TX-SR875 and am leaning more towards the Denon unless I can find a resolution for the stretch issue. Has anyone found a work around?
post #4685 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

The Direct listening mode turns off Audyssey equalization, bass management and tone controls. It provides only the minimal processing of the input signal. Since it turns off bass management, it's not very effective unless your main speakers have good bass extension.

People who think Direct or Pure Audio sound much better than using the standard mode for the selected audio format should experiment with turning Audyssey equalization off.

Thanks!
So then what does Multich listening mode do???
post #4686 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohlors View Post

I checked, the inputs are all there, e.g. DVD = HDMI4

What have I missed?

Thanks!

Hi Cohlors,
sorry to hear you are having some problems with your 875.
My suggestion is first try A system reset,If that does'nt work try to update you DSP'S again. Cross reference your 3 DSP values "BEFORE" and after the DSP update to confirm that they all updated to the same version values as whats in the DSP update PDF manual. Let us know how you go. As I am shore you are aware all your settings are wiped when you perform the DSP update so you will need to re config your 875 from the start...
post #4687 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post

Problem solved!
Found out that there were two wrong polarity connections. Now in excellent working condition.

Thanks.

Good to hear that you got it sorted because it can be very dangerous when things are not wired up correctly not only for our health but our audio gear ....
post #4688 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 12:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ok the thread is massive and I just have a couple simple questions:

I'm considering the 875 ( was also looking at the 905) and want to know if

1) there are alot of problems with audio getting out of sync with the video, like when using HDMI from an HD-DVD or Bluray player.

2) can the reon upscale anything or are there limitations on component input (probably wont be used anyway)

3) overall impressions with quality and performance.

Thanks

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from damninteresting.com

post #4689 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeduck View Post

Thanks!
So then what does Multich listening mode do???

Multichannel allows bass management, tone controls, room EQ, THX processing, and matrix postprocessing. Basically it includes those things that kplex told you Direct mode does not.
post #4690 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyzziks View Post

Multichannel allows bass management, tone controls, room EQ, THX processing, and matrix postprocessing. Basically it includes those things that kplex told you Direct mode does not.

Thanks...I messed around this with the settings today and realized I had mistakenly set the Audyssey OFF...that is why I was not hearing any difference between Multich and Direct.
post #4691 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinema mad View Post

Hi Cohlors,
sorry to hear you are having some problems with your 875.
My suggestion is first try A system reset,If that does'nt work try to update you DSP'S again. Cross reference your 3 DSP values "BEFORE" and after the DSP update to confirm that they all updated to the same version values as whats in the DSP update PDF manual. Let us know how you go. As I am shore you are aware all your settings are wiped when you perform the DSP update so you will need to re config your 875 from the start...

Hey Cinema Mad,

I have been limping by the last two days wit the system as is.
I will have more time tomorrow.
1) I will do a system reset
2) I will borrow a cd/dvd with optical output to ensure i can install the DSP update
I will let you know how it goes, thanks for the help, much appreciated.
post #4692 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 05:57 PM

TO ALL

when your running a TrueHd Track (not tryed Dts Ma yet) showing on amp (not pcm) hit late night on your remote (L NIGHT) and see what comes up .

is it auto? or off i am on 1.07 firmware when i was on 1.04 it was default off

try this all and get back

thanks
post #4693 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

1) there are alot of problems with audio getting out of sync with the video, like when using HDMI from an HD-DVD or Bluray player.

2) can the reon upscale anything or are there limitations on component input (probably wont be used anyway)

Thanks

i have no trouble at all other than hdmi sync mate but that is due too the lcd i use (2006-2007)90% models no matter make. have trouble hdmi handshake issues . need to change the screen

for the money mate you can not go wrong (other than this late night issue)
post #4694 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 07:31 PM
JVi
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

Thanks

1. Sync problems that were experienced by a few were addressed with the latest firmware release (1.07/1.08)

2. Video processing performance seems to be second to none according to Home Theater Magazine.
http://hometheatermag.com/receivers/608recfeat/

3. High quality and power is well documented. See Sound and Visions review and lab test.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/rec...-receiver.html
post #4695 of 6055 Old 06-25-2008, 07:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Thanks.

Anyone find any leaked information on the successor to this unit? TX-SR876 I'm assuming. I'm pretty much sold on this unit, but just wondering if hdmi switching/handshaking is faster on the new model.

The new 606 supports deep color, not sure thats a real difference in the hdmi chip or just a new spec they can list. My guess is this unit's replacement will also support deep color.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from damninteresting.com

post #4696 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 05:49 AM

DSP Update

Hey All,

I need some help installing the DSP update.

I had no problem doing the FW update (1.07) and I thought doing the DSP would be even easier, but unfortunately I cannot seem to get the 875 to respond to the CD.

I will list the things I have done and maybe you can find something incorect in my procedure:
1) I burned a CD using Roxio on the DVD player of my computer tried both CD-R, CD-RW
2) I connected a DVD player which plays both CD-R, CD-RW
3) I changed the CD input to reflect Opt-1
4) I listened to a regular CD via the 875 prior to tring the Update disc to ensure it could play the CD
5) I turned on the 875, hit display/standby, Tuning up, return,
6) Got the SPDIF Update...... - screen
7) Hit play on the DVD
8) No response from the 875
9) Tried again without changing the OPT-1
10) Tried again........

I am back at factory defaults so the system works with the original DSP's.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks!
post #4697 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DSP Update

Hey All,

I need some help installing the DSP update.

I had no problem doing the FW update (1.07) and I thought doing the DSP would be even easier, but unfortunately I cannot seem to get the 875 to respond to the CD.

I will list the things I have done and maybe you can find something incorect in my procedure:
1) I burned a CD using Roxio on the DVD player of my computer tried both CD-R, CD-RW
2) I connected a DVD player which plays both CD-R, CD-RW
3) I changed the CD input to reflect Opt-1
4) I listened to a regular CD via the 875 prior to tring the Update disc to ensure it could play the CD
5) I turned on the 875, hit display/standby, Tuning up, return,
6) Got the SPDIF Update...... - screen
7) Hit play on the DVD
8) No response from the 875
9) Tried again without changing the OPT-1
10) Tried again........

I am back at factory defaults so the system works with the original DSP's.

What am I doing wrong???

Thanks!

Are you burning the CD as a 'data' CD or an 'audio' CD? The correct answer will be 'audio' cd. You should be able to play the resulting CD and hear a bunch of 'noise'.
post #4698 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scsiraid View Post

Are you burning the CD as a 'data' CD or an 'audio' CD? The correct answer will be 'audio' cd. You should be able to play the resulting CD and hear a bunch of 'noise'.

I am burning it as an audio cd and yes I can hear the "a bunch of noise".
post #4699 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I am burning it as an audio cd and yes I can hear the "a bunch of noise".

Is there a particular piece of software i should use to burn the "Audio CD"?

What output should I set the DVD player to playback the CD?

I know the 875 is connecting to it as I can play an Audio CD or hear the noise of the DSP update.

Given the 875 was set to factory specs, what should I be specifying in the setup of the 875?

Thanks again!
post #4700 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 10:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I know the 875 is connecting to it as I can play an Audio CD or hear the noise of the DSP update.

Given the 875 was set to factory specs, what should I be specifying in the setup of the 875?

Thanks again!

I used Roxio. Dont use Windows Media Player.
post #4701 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks again!

No matter how strange this can seem, I solved the problem using a rewritable CD. Even a friend of mine, had problems usind write once CD and when he switched to a rewritable, everything went fine and easy.

ciao
post #4702 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 12:32 PM

Hi to all,
Just a quick question...
Why can't my 875 to synchronize the HDMI from my DVD and MY Satt HD receiver.

Every time I want to see some image and sound i need to switch to the setup page and them exit. It only then I can see image and sound from my HDMI inputs, this happens every time I turn to standby mode. I i left it on, after the procedure above, I can switch between sources without problems.

Any Ideas and help?

I have fw 1.08 and DSP upgrades.

Sorry if this is somewhere answered, i couldn't find it
post #4703 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzo-ita View Post

No matter how strange this can seem, I solved the problem using a rewritable CD. Even a friend of mine, had problems usind write once CD and when he switched to a rewritable, everything went fine and easy.

ciao

Hey,

I tried the DSP update with rewritable cd that did not work either.

Would someone provide to me a checklist, e.g. what should the DVD player's output be set at? And any other small details that might help me.

I used Roxio to create the CD, and if I play it, as it is connected via Toslink Cable I can hear the static. Therefore I know the DVD is outputting the Cd contents. But nonetheless the 875 does not seem to know there is data on the CD and therefore does not respond, the 875 just keeps "spdif update" glowing in the display. I have never gotten "Writing 1 at DSP".

This is frustrating! Help!
post #4704 of 6055 Old 06-27-2008, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey,

Would someone provide to me a checklist, e.g. what should the DVD player's output be set at? And any other small details that might help me.

I used Roxio to create the CD, and if I play it, as it is connected via Toslink Cable I can hear the static. Therefore I know the DVD is outputting the Cd contents. But nonetheless the 875 does not seem to know there is data on the CD and therefore does not respond, the 875 just keeps "spdif update" glowing in the display. I have never gotten "Writing 1 at DSP".

Try a different CD or DVD player.
post #4705 of 6055 Old 06-28-2008, 05:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey,

Hi Cohlors,
As I have said before set your dvd player to (spdif out) RAW or if not avalible set to PCM for optical out.You have to set your 875's optical 1 to CD also. FWIW I burnt my CD-RW using NERO all went smooth....Make shore you cross referance your DSP's numbers with the DSP numbers provided in your PDF/DSP firmware update file so you will know that your "3" DSP's have all updated correctly on your 875....
post #4706 of 6055 Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 AM

Quote:

Try a different CD or DVD player.

I went and bought a new Samsung DVD player as my DVD player did not have an Optical Output only HDMI. The Samsung did not work.

Any suggestion on a model that people have had success with?

Additionally is there a particular setting on the DVD e.g. will bitstream or pcm work or do I need another setting such as raw?

Thanks.
post #4707 of 6055 Old 06-28-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:

I went and bought a new Samsung DVD player as my DVD player did not have an Optical Output only HDMI. The Samsung did not work.

Any suggestion on a model that people have had success with?

Additionally is there a particular setting on the DVD e.g. will bitstream or pcm work or do I need another setting such as raw?

Thanks.

Set to PCM, 44,1, and no mapping. It must work. I think you already mentioned you hear the "noise" if so it is ok.

ciao
post #4708 of 6055 Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 AM

DSP Update

Well I have tried:
1) 3 different dvd machines
2) Two different cables
3) PCM and raw settings

But no matter what I do the display on the 875 does not change from the
"s/pdif update message"

There must be a simple explanation???

Can anyone offer up a guess?
post #4709 of 6055 Old 06-28-2008, 11:58 AM

I have a question about the settings for my ps3. I have the SR875 and when playing movies, it seems that the movies sound better when using the PS3's bistream setting. This bitstream setting is only usable for the PS3's bluray movie sound settings. What do you all recommend concerning the game audio settings. The ps3 has automatic and manual game audio settings. Comments, thoughts, suggestions ....??????
post #4710 of 6055 Old 06-28-2008, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoming868 View Post

I have a question about the settings for my ps3. I have the SR875 and when playing movies, it seems that the movies sound better when using the PS3's bistream setting. This bitstream setting is only usable for the PS3's bluray movie sound settings. What do you all recommend concerning the game audio settings. The ps3 has automatic and manual game audio settings. Comments, thoughts, suggestions ....??????

I have my PS3 set to PCM and it sounds much better to me than bitstream. The Audio Output Settings on the Sound Settings menu are not just for games, they affect everything. The easiest thing to do is run the automatic setup any time you connect your PS3 to something different. It queries the audio capabilities of the device you're connecting to and automatically enables every audio format supported by that device.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors