AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

Wow

all of that and nothing to prove anything you said..about all this insight in the electronics marketplace

Way more insight than you have provided. You can ask all you want for links and such things like PM's. But I sure am not going to be your personal secret shopper to find you the best possible prices.

That's it, I'm done with playing your games!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5882 of 6044 Old 11-09-2010, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Way more insight than you have provided. You can ask all you want for links and such things like PM's. But I sure am not going to be your personal secret shopper to find you the best possible prices.

That's it, I'm done with playing your games!

I am not sure what you are talking about...and I question both your verified credibility as well as your command of the English language.
But anyway..as for asking you to be my personal shopper..you are "pretty much specifically" kidding right?

I have done satisfactorily well(IMO) with verifiable results with my A/V purchases. Links I have posted verify any credibility that might be questioned.
No one needs to take my word for anything...why would they?..I have no issue showing the "money". It speaks to my own nature of desiring credibility and verification.
I don't engage with non credible resources
So you really have zero worries....

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer SC37 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
post #5883 of 6044 Old 11-09-2010, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked: 294
That's enough guys...move along.

Mike Lang
Administrator
Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself.
Join the AVS Club and help support the site. Help Support AVS Forum Sponsors.
post #5884 of 6044 Old 11-10-2010, 05:35 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
On three separate occasions I've had my 875's remote stop working out of the blue. I have a harmony remote as well, and each time, neither remote would work. The first time it happened I took it to a service center who couldn't find anything wrong, but updated the firmware and replaced the remote anyway. It worked when I got it back

The second time, It started working again a day later.

The third time was today. I spent two hours trying to troubleshoot, and I finally figure out the problem:

My Roomba!

My roomba base is in the opposite corner at ground level, and has a direct line of sight to my 875's remote sensor. Today my roomba happened to be stuck on the opposite side of the house with a dead battery. Under these conditions, I'm guessing the base station sends out some IR or RF waves to try to lure the Roomba home to charge, and those waves are interfering with the 875's IR system.

When I blocked the line of sight from the Roomba's base, the remote started working again! Also, when I return the Roomba to it's base, the remote works fine. But as soon as the Roomba is dead and not at home, the remote stops working. I repeated this at least 7 times to make sure, and each time i got the same results.

Yeah, this is probably very random, but if anyone else is having remote issues, look around for any possible sources of IR/RF interference.

I'm just glad I don't have to tear my system down to take my out of warranty 875 in again.
post #5885 of 6044 Old 11-16-2010, 03:43 PM

I've got a roku player set up on my 875 as HDMI input 3. Also, I have a slim mp3 player using one of the optical inputs.

Is there any way for both of these to be active at once, with the video coming from the hdmi input and going to the tv, and the audio coming from the optical input and going out to the speakers?
post #5886 of 6044 Old 11-16-2010, 07:26 PM

Hi all, just needed some advice or experience from someone on this forum regarding an HDMI switcher that works with this Onkyo. I tried one from monoprice, but it is having handshake problems. If possible, please provide model numbers. Thanks in advance!
G
post #5887 of 6044 Old 11-21-2010, 10:48 AM

i'm having a surround issue with my ps3. i played Lion King DVD for my son and only got sound in front L\\R speakers. put TS3 Blu and still getting sound on fronts only. ps3 hooked HDMI to 875 and PCM. i've tried every listening mode. switched to directv dvr and surround is as it should be.
post #5888 of 6044 Old 11-25-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rookie Boy View Post

It appears this is not the total fix.

To re-cap the situation, I quite like bitstreaming to the reciever as the audio sounds more dynamic to me (greater range and seperation of audio). I updated my PS3 which can bitstream all audio to the 875.

I was initially watching Star Trek and a certain scene (Kirk/Spock transport to enemy ship, phaser fight ensues) would shut down the reciever every time. I then proceeded to update the firmware, as above.

I have not been in the theatre much the last few months, but when certain scenes of movies have some dynamic audio, the reciever shuts off. Last night we watched the original X-men on blu, and a scene where Storm was fighting Sabretooth, "lightening" crackles shut dowm the reciever.

I am geting quite frustrated, and am at the point of looking to get a new reciever. I am not knowledgable enough to know if my reciever is lacking enough "power" or cannot handle a bitstream feed or if this is just a poor reciever.

Any suggestions?

Jason.

Just bumping with the same problem. It appears my reciever shuts off when it is a high-pitched sound FX from a movie (High pitch sound from the phaser in Star Trek, High pitched sound from lightening from Storm in X-men, high pitch "Zing" of a bullet in Die Hard)
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if I'm driving my B&W speakers to hard and that causes my reciever to shut down, or if the reciever just can't handle the signal.

Please respond if you have had this issue! Thanks!!

Jason.
post #5889 of 6044 Old 11-25-2010, 09:36 AM

Quote:

Just bumping with the same problem. It appears my reciever shuts off when it is a high-pitched sound FX from a movie (High pitch sound from the phaser in Star Trek, High pitched sound from lightening from Storm in X-men, high pitch "Zing" of a bullet in Die Hard)
Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if I'm driving my B&W speakers to hard and that causes my reciever to shut down, or if the reciever just can't handle the signal.

Jason.

I don't think is is the 875, I can run my full out at reference, getting readings of 110 dbs (Hulk), Iron Man 2, no problem what so ever. I am running High end speakers and 2 subs.

Hurk
post #5890 of 6044 Old 11-25-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post

I don't think is is the 875, I can run my full out at reference, getting readings of 110 dbs (Hulk), Iron Man 2, no problem what so ever. I am running High end speakers and 2 subs.

Hurk

You may be right, these speakers are 15 yrs old. This only started to happen when I began to bitstream from the PS3 to the Onkyo and the Onkyo processing made the sound more "dynamic" to my ears. I may have to go back to LPCM.
post #5891 of 6044 Old 12-24-2010, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I'm HOPING this isn't the sign of something bad happening, but within the last 24 hours I've been experiencing this...

My 875 will just shut off while watching something or listening to a CD. I noticed this happens when there is a loud sound effect or a loud part of a song that comes up. When that occurs, the 875 just shuts off and the power button light blinks red. I can turn it back on again right away without a problem, but the next time a loud noise occurs, the receiver shuts off again.

I'm scratching my head as to why it would be the amperage overload detection feature, if it is that. Can it be triggered by other things sharing the same outlet or power surge? I have had a lot of Christmas lights and animated things plugged into not the same power strip but the same wall outlet. Then again, those have been plugged in since Thanksgiving without this problem occurring.

It never use to do this until the last day or so.
post #5892 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 02:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Check for any stray strands of speaker wire that may be shorting out, at both the speaker output terminals of the AVR, and on the speakers terminals themselves.
post #5893 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Don't think that was the problem. Plus, it's too late now. About an hour ago I was watching TV when suddenly my 875 exploded, with sparks and flames and smoke pouring out its top and back.

Stick a fork in her. She's done.

I did immediately call my insurance company's claim # (they're 24/7), so I'll be able to at least get some help in replacing it, financially speaking.
post #5894 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post

Don't think that was the problem. Plus, it's too late now. About an hour ago I was watching TV when suddenly my 875 exploded, with sparks and flames and smoke pouring out its top and back.

Stick a fork in her. She's done.

I did immediately call my insurance company's claim # (they're 24/7), so I'll be able to at least get some help in replacing it, financially speaking.

spontaneous combustion?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
post #5895 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

I don't know what happened. All I know is, she's history.
post #5896 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Advanced Member

Bought this thing in March 2008 from ABT Electronics. This definitely should have lasted longer than 33 months. I wonder if they'd be able to repair it for a not too exorbitant fee.
post #5897 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Bought this thing in March 2008 from ABT Electronics. This definitely should have lasted longer than 33 months. I wonder if they'd be able to repair it for a not too exorbitant fee.

Did it self-extinguish or did you have to pull the plug or worse.. break out the extinguisher?
post #5898 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Advanced Member

I had to yank the plug from its back side to stop the sparks and smoke and all. It's disconnected now--running on TV's speakers until my new receiver comes in that I just ordered. I'm wondering if I can open it up to see any visible damage, because God knows the rancid smell of fried electronics permeated the air!
post #5899 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 07:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I had to yank the plug from its back side to stop the sparks and smoke and all. It's disconnected now--running on TV's speakers until my new receiver comes in that I just ordered. I'm wondering if I can open it up to see any visible damage, because God knows the rancid smell of fried electronics permeated the air!

Your situation is unfortunate...and the good news is that it seems nothing else was damaged

The bad news is that....IMO...it would not be cost effective to repair
I have seen some that have paid for an HDMI board repair( and had one fixed under warranty as well)...The cost to repair is almost as much as a working 875 brings on the used market
I would assume there is lot more significant damage done to your receiver than an HDMI board replacement cost

These units , comparatively,don't seem to bring a lot on the used market

Warren

post #5900 of 6044 Old 12-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Advanced Member

Figures. Just my luck. I ordered an NR3008 as its replacement. I was eyeing the 5008, but considering I live in an apt., I don't think the extra wattage--and extra few hundred bucks--of the 5008 is necessary. I think I'll be satisfied with the 3008, especially since I'm getting it new for what I paid for the 875 in March 2008.
post #5901 of 6044 Old 12-26-2010, 08:03 AM

Apologies if this has been discussed/answered before.

I just hooked up my Sony S570 Blu-Ray player and everything works great, with one exception: The on-screen volume display does not show when playing a Blu-Ray disc. The on-screen display works when in the 570 menu, and also works fine when playing back a regular DVD, just not with a Blu-Ray.

Suggestions?

TIA!
post #5902 of 6044 Old 12-27-2010, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Jason.

Sounds like you are having the same issue Lord Vader also had. I suspect its a capacitor going bad (large, cylindrical components). If you can get it fixed now, it will be a cheap fix (relatively). If it explodes in a shower of sparks (which is what can happen when a capacitor shorts out internally), chances are multiple components will be damaged from the surge in power it causes, and then it will be junk.

Whatever you do, I would make sure the device is off when you are not at home. Be prepared for sparks coming out of it. While it's highly unlikely it would start a fire, anything is possible. (Wood and Sheetrock will not ignite from small sparks, and carpet is usually flame retardant) Loose paper in the vicinity should be moved.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from damninteresting.com

post #5903 of 6044 Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

Sounds like you are having the same issue Lord Vader also had. I suspect its a capacitor going bad (large, cylindrical components). If you can get it fixed now, it will be a cheap fix (relatively). If it explodes in a shower of sparks (which is what can happen when a capacitor shorts out internally), chances are multiple components will be damaged from the surge in power it causes, and then it will be junk.

Which is what happened to me, unfortunately. I don't know if mine is junk, actually, but what you describe above is exactly what happened to me. The rancid smell of burnt electrics permeated my living room.

On a good note, my insurance company today notified me that they have sent me a check (minus my deductible) to cover the cost of my having to purchase a replacement receiver.
post #5904 of 6044 Old 12-27-2010, 08:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerozal View Post

Apologies if this has been discussed/answered before.

I just hooked up my Sony S570 Blu-Ray player and everything works great, with one exception: The on-screen volume display does not show when playing a Blu-Ray disc. The on-screen display works when in the 570 menu, and also works fine when playing back a regular DVD, just not with a Blu-Ray.

Suggestions?

TIA!

I think if you have 24fps video enabled on the blu ray then the Onkyo will not over lay the volume display

At least that is the case with mine

Warren

post #5905 of 6044 Old 12-27-2010, 08:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

Whatever you do, I would make sure the device is off when you are not at home. Be prepared for sparks coming out of it. While it's highly unlikely it would start a fire, anything is possible. (Wood and Sheetrock will not ignite from small sparks, and carpet is usually flame retardant) Loose paper in the vicinity should be moved.

I have never heard this happening in a receiver...and I have an Old Pioneer Elite VSX47 circa 2002 that is much beefier than the 875

Based on the fact that these were released in 2007...they are not old

Other than HDMI boards going out...this is the first I have heard of a problem that is a major issue with this series of receivers

Warren

post #5906 of 6044 Old 12-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mine was a mere 2 years and 9 months old when it blew.
post #5907 of 6044 Old 12-28-2010, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yeah, generally they should last 5 to 10 years before the capacitors go bad. But if the unit is left on all the time, or getting heavy use, it could wear out faster. Mine is still fine, but I shut it off when I'm not using it. Also there's going to be some that fail sooner than others, probably a small percentage will fail at the three year mark.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

Directions for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from damninteresting.com

post #5908 of 6044 Old 12-28-2010, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mine is off when I'm not watching TV or listening to my CD player. It remains plugged in, of course, and the power button's red light is illuminated, but the power to it is off in such instances.
post #5909 of 6044 Old 12-28-2010, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Whats up guys.

I am trying to hook up a PJ and TV thru my 875.

I know I can hook em both up via HDMI with a splitter.

Is it possible to connect to the TV via component video and the PJ with HDMI without the use of a splitter?

If not, does anyone know of a HDMI splitter that could be switched with a remote control so I dont have to get behind the AVR everythime I want to switch between the PJ and TV?
post #5910 of 6044 Old 12-28-2010, 01:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Grits View Post

Whats up guys.

I am trying to hook up a PJ and TV thru my 875.

I know I can hook em both up via HDMI with a splitter.

Is it possible to connect to the TV via component video and the PJ with HDMI without the use of a splitter?

If not, does anyone know of a HDMI splitter that could be switched with a remote control so I dont have to get behind the AVR everythime I want to switch between the PJ and TV?

If what you are asking is can you plug in several devices to different connections at the same time, then the answer is yes.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page