"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread - Page 202 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #6031 of 6053 Old 04-29-2013, 02:05 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys. I need your help about proper settings of frequency of my speakers with Onkyo TX-SR 875 receiver.

My front speakers are JBL ES90 and technical specification of these speakers is:

Power Handling (Recommended) 110W
Power Handling (Peak) 440W
Sensitivity (2.83V@1m) 91dB
Crossover Frequencies 500Hz, 3kHz – 24dB/octave; 12kHz – 18dB/octave
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 225W
Frequency Response 36Hz – 40kHz
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

My central speaker is JBL ES25C and technical specification is :

Power Handling (Recommended) 75W
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 150W
Crossover Frequencies 3000Hz – 24dB/octave; 12000Hz – 18dB/octave
Sensitivity (2.83V@1m) 90dB
Frequency Response (-3dB) 80Hz – 40kHz
Power Handling (Peak) 300W
Nominal Impedance 8 ohms

My surround speaker is JBL ES20 and technical specification is :

Power Handling (Recommended) 60W
Nominal Impedance 8 Ohms
Maximum Recommended Amplifier Power 125W
Frequency Response (-3dB) 60Hz – 40kHz
Crossover Frequencies 3300Hz – 24dB/octave 12000Hz – 18dB/octave
Power Handling (Peak) 240W
Sensitivity (2.83V@1m) 86dB

My subwoofer is JAMO E7SUB and his technical specification is:

Impedance (Ohm) 22k
Woofer (mm/in) 254 / 10
Weight (Kg/lb) 21/46,3
Frequency Response (Hz, +/-3dB) 40 - 150
Rated output (W) 675 peak
Overall Dimensions (mm/in, HxWxD) 375x375x375/14,76x14,76x14,76

I would like to know how to adjust adequate frequency for each of these speakers that I mentioned above(front, central, surround and subwoofer) in the Onkyo receiver TX-SR 875?

All suggestions are welcome. Thank You.
And another question, how in onkyo TX-SR 875 change impedance from 4, 6 ohms to 8 ohms as all JBL speakers works at 8 ohms?
I currently have option in onkyo 875 to change the 4 and 6 ohms.Does not offer me the option to switch to 8 ohms.
Sorry for my bad English.
Thank You in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6032 of 6053 Old 05-25-2013, 12:58 PM

I've an Onkyo TX-SR875 for many years - it was a new model when I bought it.
Screen is attached via HDMI only.
I'm using almost only HDMI inputs (all 4 taken), and 1 component input (WII). I've not used the WII in years, but it used to work just fine - not so anymore.

All the component and composite inputs seem to have gone bad somehow.

The input is seemingly lacking the needed synchronisation and the image is shaking sideways all over.
I've tried hooking up the WII to all 3 component inputs and to the composite input of AUX2 as well, all the same result.
I've also tried all 3 output modes of the WII, no joy.

If I hook up the WII directly to the TV I get a perfectly good image (but no sound, my screen has no speakers at all).

So it's not cables nor the WII itself.

I might over the years have changed some setting that is causing this - but I've tried canging many of them and nothig seems to help at all (passthrough or upscaling all seems to make no difference at all).

Any settings I need to double check or any easy repair options for the Onkyo ?

I'm located in Europe should that matter (and the Onkyo is a EU model).
post #6033 of 6053 Old 05-27-2013, 10:09 AM

Hi everyone,

can some one please provide me a link or an copy from the "xx5_Onkyo_UpdatesISO.zip" file? As far as I understand, it's handy for fixing the EEPROM error. I tried google and searched this board, but didn't get a working copy.

*edit: I would like to fix the EEPROM Error according to this post: The Onkyo/Integra direct firmware updates. My Problem is, I just can't find any of the needed files. The receiver is a few years old now and forgets it's settings every time the power goes down. It's actual Firmwares are: MAIN: 1.07 and HDMI 1.01

Can anyone tell me, which are the newest firmwares and where to get them and perhaps the old 1.05 main fw?

Thank you very much in advance!
post #6034 of 6053 Old 07-14-2013, 11:32 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have re-uploaded the xx5 recievers firmware update ISO: http://www.share-online.biz/dl/FCBBVXPM39

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6035 of 6053 Old 07-16-2013, 04:16 AM

Hi Tspeer, your image includes the TX-SR875 ( 1.09/08Y19A ) firmware?
post #6036 of 6053 Old 07-16-2013, 06:00 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I believe the 1.08 is as high as it goes. There is also a DSP update and an HDMI update.

They are all good starting points and solve most problems. I do not know what the 1.09 is suppose to fix over the 1.08.

I Bet You Wish You Could! - Roger Wilco

for updating your Onkyo xx5 receivers firmware. **Newly updated 7-22-2009**Re-uploaded 7-14-2013**

Something from

post #6037 of 6053 Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM

hi i have a problem with onkyo TX-SR 875 HDMI signal , components signal are OK, i want to know witch capacitors must be changed.
Thank you
post #6038 of 6053 Old 11-18-2013, 03:15 PM

Have any of you folks used your 875 as a 7 channel amplifier for a newer pre/pro?

Because I have a last gen Panasonic plasma (no 4k) and a 7.1 home theater, I am thinking that an integra 80.2 or onk 5508 will better feature match my components than my 875, but I do not have the resources to get a pre/pro AND a new 7ch amplifier at this time. I got my 875 new in 2007 and particularly since getting some active cooling for it, it has been a titan.

It occurred to me that the 875 might act as a perfectly adequate (and THX Ultra 2 certified) amplifier for the time being.

Does anyone have experience with this? Obviously I want the 7 analog channels coming out of a nice pre/pro to bypass all signal processing in the 875, and I have heard that is possible except for volume control. How would one go about eliminating all signal processing from that source (I am assuming there is a specific sound mode for this, maybe a menu setting?), and if the volume cannot be eliminated, what volume should I set on the unit to interfere as little as possible? Is it plausible to expect a setup that works as well or better than the 875 has worked by itself?

I would really appreciate hearing about people's experiences.
post #6039 of 6053 Old 01-20-2014, 08:41 AM

My TX SR875 was in storage for 4 years and today upon hooking it up noticed there was no output from the Center or Surround L/R channel. I cannot get a test tone either. Tried a reset to no avail. Speakers work fine so that not the issue. Front L/R and Surround Back L/R work fine so it is the other two channels were I am having issues. Any ideas what it could be as I went through the speaker setup and settings are all correct?

post #6040 of 6053 Old 01-20-2014, 10:43 AM

Surprise, especially me... It is now working.

I ran it last night and got it fairly warm but still had the issues.

This morning I checked for obvious signs and checked the fuses by pulling them out and placing them back as well as testing transistors and looking for blown caps and a smell test but nothing came up. Hit the power button and surprise all speakers worked perfect.

The only solution I came up with was either the heat from the previous night of running made it work (though I doubt this as it was unplugged all night and it ran perfect while dead cold) or the fuses I pulled to test for the channels might have had oxidation between the clips and by moving it to test the connection was re-established (this is what I think was the accidental fix).

Oh well, no longer looking for a new receiver so happy I am.

post #6041 of 6053 Old 02-06-2014, 10:18 AM

My 875 currently developing crackling sounds on both left frond and right surround back, after 5 yrs working without any issues.
Cables and speakers are checked and confirmed not the cause.

Anybody encountered this before and what is the possible cause?
Thanks.
post #6042 of 6053 Old 03-21-2014, 09:33 PM

My HDMI port either 1 or 4 worked the other day. My x-box one had video but no audio. I swapped cable around then determined that it was not cables, but the port itself. It lets audio but not sound through. when I used both cables I was testing they worked in the other port. Any suggestions?
post #6043 of 6053 Old 04-22-2014, 12:41 PM

Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tspeer View Post

I have re-uploaded the xx5 recievers firmware update ISO: http://www.share-online.biz/dl/FCBBVXPM39
This one works currently. Thanks again.

26 What good will it be for a man if he gains the whole world, yet forfeits his soul? Or what can a man give in exchange for his soul?

Matthew 16:26 NIV
post #6044 of 6053 Old 06-03-2014, 11:05 PM

Did you get the crackling sound problem resolved. I also have the same problem. More so in the surround mode.
post #6045 of 6053 Old 08-20-2014, 08:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Can anyone who actually owns one of these units answer me a question please?
Onkyo have told me, in numerous emails, that the 875 will pass through both video and audio in standby, in other words, I don't have to have the amp turned on all the time just to watch the news from my SkyHD box etc. But no matter how many times and what permutations of settings I try, nothing works, as soon as I turn off the 875 the picture/sound is gone.
Any ideas, please?
Thank you.
Chris
post #6046 of 6053 Old 08-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSThing View Post
Can anyone who actually owns one of these units answer me a question please?
Onkyo have told me, in numerous emails, that the 875 will pass through both video and audio in standby, in other words, I don't have to have the amp turned on all the time just to watch the news from my SkyHD box etc. But no matter how many times and what permutations of settings I try, nothing works, as soon as I turn off the 875 the picture/sound is gone.
Any ideas, please?
Thank you.
Chris
As far as I know the amp must be turned on.
post #6047 of 6053 Old 08-20-2014, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It certainly seems that way, but I have just this minute had another email from Onkyo telling me it is possible and to turn off the unit for one hour. If that doesn't work I am told to reset and then start from the beginning. I am not holding out much hope though to be honest.
post #6048 of 6053 Old 08-27-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
I have the TX-SR875 and it does not hold its settings after the power has been turned off and then turned back on. Which leads me to believe it needs a Firmware upgrade. Having said that I have also heard that some of them have been BRICKED after trying the Firmware upgrade. So is there a way to avoid that or is it the luck of the draw?

ALSO can anyone confirm if it can handle 4 Ohm Speakers without any issues like the Axiom M100s.

Thanks.

I am running Ascend Towers With RAAL FR/FL and Sierra1's as RR/RL with and old Aperion Center and a JL F113 Subwoofer.
I feel like I am not getting the most from these speakers compared to everyone else on the Ascend Forum.

Thanks.
post #6049 of 6053 Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Chances are the unit probably has a failing battery to charge the memory that stores the settings. If it does not have a battery, the NV-RAM is going bad. Either way, new firmware ain't gonna fix it...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #6050 of 6053 Old 08-27-2014, 02:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
Chances are the unit probably has a failing battery to charge the memory that stores the settings. If it does not have a battery, the NV-RAM is going bad. Either way, new firmware ain't gonna fix it...
I concur, it's doubtful a firmware update would have any affect on this whatsoever. You could search this thread for memory or battery and see if someone else has had a similar issue. This receiver was introduced 7 years ago, so it might be difficult to get parts for at this point.

As for 4 ohm speakers, try and search the thread, or skim the first few hundred posts, you should be able to find something about that. It's a fairly common subject any time a new receiver shows up. Investing in a good 2-channel amp would probably be a good idea for those speakers though.

Download my IR hex codes for the Denon AVR-4810ci and other Denon receivers
For Logitech Harmony support, ask Logitech for the Denon receiver in the account kmickunas.

post #6051 of 6053 Old 08-30-2014, 11:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSF458 View Post
I have the TX-SR875 and it does not hold its settings after the power has been turned off and then turned back on. Which leads me to believe it needs a Firmware upgrade. Having said that I have also heard that some of them have been BRICKED after trying the Firmware upgrade. So is there a way to avoid that or is it the luck of the draw?
This is a well known issue that was covered at length in this thread years back. Firmware will not help and if I remember correctly will need replacement of components.

It's one of the main reasons I replaced mine with a Denon years ago. My 875 is just sitting in the box collecting dust.

edit: searching for the E2PROM error will bring up results like this thread: Onkyo E2PROM Error Thread

Last edited by VisionOn; 08-30-2014 at 11:39 AM.
post #6052 of 6053 Old 08-30-2014, 09:45 PM

Hi,

I have a 7 year old TX SR 875 which had the HDMI card replaced at great expense about 15 months ago.

When I got it back I set up all the original inputs (Cable TV, Blu Ray player etc) but did not configure the AM/FM Tuner. Yesterday when I tried to configure it, I couldn't. The display shows the Frequencies changing as I step around the local stations, but I could not tune to and receive any stations (AM or FM). While all this was going on, I was receiving what sounded like a community station playing dance music, but that came through on FM no matter what I did. If I unplugged the external antenna, I got nothing at all.

The unit was reset to factory settings, and Firmware was updated (or so I was told).

Any suggestions, please? Is the tuner a separate plug in unit? Could it perhaps have been dislodged during the HDMI card replacement?

Rob.

PS: I have found that the station it can receive is 99.1 FM. No matter what the tuner display says, this is the only signal I can receive. Strange thing is that even if I scan the Onk past 99.1 it still won't recognise the station.

Last edited by crossy1; 08-30-2014 at 11:57 PM. Reason: Aditional Info
post #6053 of 6053 Old 09-22-2014, 11:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is it possible to have the internal amp playing HDMI audio as well as the pre-amp out simultaneously? Looking to have same audio source doesn't even have to be different. I just need to have a 2 channel analog output to a separate amp to drive other speakers.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page