"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 6053 Old 07-27-2007, 11:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Jooooe, the secret menu!! Pleease, let us know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

Up and running...

Biggest problem so far-> The reon really does do a much better job than my JVC DiLA at upscaling to my native 720p from 480p/i sources, BUT the problem is that is also stretches the picture side-to-side. Someone PLEASE tell me that there is an option somewhere to set it to keep the original aspect ratio that it is passed instead of stretching the picture, b/c I've yet to find that option.

(And no, my Scientific Atlanta 8300HD does not allow me to to 4:3 override)

This problem is a huge downer for me considering that we still watch alot of SD channels and I was looking forward to my 875 taking it to 720p.

Finally, someone to feel my pain. My moto box does have a setting for 4:3 override, but when I set it to 480i, the picture gets stretched. I don't know if you can adjust the aspect on your TV, but my FH97 won't let me with 1080p sources.

Is it just us JVC owners that are experiencing these problems. I know it's still early and not many owners to test, but this sucks.
post #813 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 12:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

PS A corrolary to the above discovery is that I don't think I need the 875--will go with the 805. The RS1 has the Gennum VP which is also very good, and I think any improvement given by the Reon will be marginal. (Still may want to try a 875 to verify this--unless some other AVS'ers do so before me!)

NO NO NO! you're suppose to get it first!
post #814 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 01:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Up and running...

Biggest problem so far-> The reon really does do a much better job than my JVC DiLA at upscaling to my native 720p from 480p/i sources, BUT the problem is that is also stretches the picture side-to-side. Someone PLEASE tell me that there is an option somewhere to set it to keep the original aspect ratio that it is passed instead of stretching the picture, b/c I've yet to find that option.

I have a 8300HD andyou can, I do it with my RS1 with native 480i. Go to "settings", "more settings", aspect ratio", set 4:3 sidebar. Or try hitting the pound button.
post #815 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Sorry, I was waylaid yesterday and I was not able to "play" with my 875. I will today and I will try like hell to find the secret passage (I mean MENU). There supposably is one that will allow some good picture options. Once we crack it many of you will be much happier.

For my latest Reviews and Stuff google -> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com
Check out my Dolby Atmos/Surround first take:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1409517748063
post #816 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

As for our member who got his from gearforless, I do wish you luck. I would immediately being getting ion contact with him to at least see if he will exchange it. If he says he won't be able to for 3 or 4 weeks (to try and discourage you) then tell him you just want a refund. You should be able to pick one up soon from almost anywhere. Do not settle with a defect. It may be doing that now but tomorrow it might be doing something else. Or it could be not doing the proper sound codecs. I would try and return ASAP! If he refuses then you have no choice but to bite it and call onkyo. You can at least leave that jerk a negative (if he doesn't cooperate). Send me a PM if he does not. I may be able to offer a good suggestion which will help you get a new unit while returning that one.

post #817 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 05:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1193 Post(s)
Liked: 1341
Quote:

Up and running...

This problem is a huge downer for me considering that we still watch alot of SD channels and I was looking forward to my 875 taking it to 720p.

Stangs, I used to have that box and I could swear you could do an override. Isn't there a 'secret menu' you can get into as you can with the Mot box?
post #818 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 05:34 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 View Post

Finally, someone to feel my pain. My moto box does have a setting for 4:3 override, but when I set it to 480i, the picture gets stretched. I don't know if you can adjust the aspect on your TV, but my FH97 won't let me with 1080p sources.

Is it just us JVC owners that are experiencing these problems. I know it's still early and not many owners to test, but this sucks.

Word, when you go direct to your JVC, bypassing the Onkyo, do you still get a stretched picture? If not, what happens when you set the Onkyo's output to 1080i? Is the stretching only in 1080p?
post #819 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Hey BDub! Check out pages 28 & 29 of the 805/875 manual. All inputs always go directly out to their respective outputs (component -> component) as long as you don't want to adjust them. So, it's the input on your tv you'd need to change. If you want to do something to the video, then you need to have the HDMI Monitor setting correct for that input (YES, NO, and/or THROUGH).
I was assuming you're using a Harmony or equivalent that'll set all to the correct IN & OUTS

Thanks Grub,

I think that will work fine then. If I input Cable (component) then I get component out of the AVR, and can adjust picture via the HDTV! brilliant

My XA2 will go into the HDMI and out of the AVR HDMI at 1080p......

Now if I have HDMI set to YES for the XA2 then will the Cable STB still go out component? Is that an adjustment per input?

No Harmony.....yet
post #820 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 06:52 AM

Hi Joerod... The WORLD expect you laboratory result for the "secret" menu, Europe find the first one
EUROPE: 1 <--> USA: 0
Come on!
Regards (from Europe ),
post #821 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

I'm on it. I will crack the code today (hopefully)...

post #822 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 07:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

Stangs, I used to have that box and I could swear you could do an override. Isn't there a 'secret menu' you can get into as you can with the Mot box?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

I have a 8300HD andyou can, I do it with my RS1 with native 480i. Go to "settings", "more settings", aspect ratio", set 4:3 sidebar. Or try hitting the pound button.

The only way to maintain aspect ratio is if you allow the STB to upconvert to 720p/1080i and THEN tell it to put black bars on the sides--which completely defeats the purpose of the Reon and the reason I bought it. If you tell it to output in 480i/p, then it will do exactly that...send the exact 480i/p signal to the 875. In that situation, there is no aspect ration to maintain because it's sending out the same signal it receives, which is what it should do. The problem is in the receiver, not the STB.

It makes absolutely no sense why Onkyo wouldn't offer this as an option...

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #823 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

As for our member who got his from gearforless, I do wish you luck. I would immediately being getting ion contact with him to at least see if he will exchange it. If he says he won't be able to for 3 or 4 weeks (to try and discourage you) then tell him you just want a refund. You should be able to pick one up soon from almost anywhere. Do not settle with a defect. It may be doing that now but tomorrow it might be doing something else. Or it could be not doing the proper sound codecs. I would try and return ASAP! If he refuses then you have no choice but to bite it and call onkyo. You can at least leave that jerk a negative (if he doesn't cooperate). Send me a PM if he does not. I may be able to offer a good suggestion which will help you get a new unit while returning that one.

If you really did buy it from gearforless, hopefully you paid with a credit card through paypal. And hopefully it was American Express. If that's true, then you are set, don't even worry about it, you have the control. You demand a refund, and if he doesn't cooperate, then you call Amex, and they take care of it for you, waalah.
post #824 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The only way to maintain aspect ratio is if you allow the STB to upconvert to 720p/1080i and THEN tell it to put black bars on the sides--which completely defeats the purpose of the Reon and the reason I bought it. If you tell it to output in 480i/p, then it will do exactly that...send the exact 480i/p signal to the 875. In that situation, there is no aspect ration to maintain because it's sending out the same signal it receives, which is what it should do. The problem is in the receiver, not the STB.

I'm upset about this as well. It seems if your TV has a 4:3 option, then you are OK, but my tv doesn't. In fact my Westinghouse 37w3 only offers "Standard" and "Fill." Standard basically display the picture as its given, and Fill zooms in, that's about all it does. So I hope this secret menu that Joe finds will offer a 4:3 option. Otherwise that seriously detracts from one of the 905's features I was looking forward to. I am not one that cares about the STB delay, and would like to set to native output. I will not, however, tolerate a wide stretched SD picture.
post #825 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Did you not read my post?? I have my 8300 set to 480i WITH NO STRETCHING!!!!!
post #826 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenificent1 View Post

Did you not read my post?? I have my 8300 set to 480i WITH NO STRETCHING!!!!!

The 8300 is your display, right? Like you, I can set my display (JVC RS1 pj in my case) to an Aspect ratio of 4:3, and this 'unstretches' the stretched pic I get from the Moto stb when I set the Override to 480i. The problem some other folks are having is that their displays don't have this capability.

PS Like Joerod said, every situation is somewhat different. E.g., he finds that the PQ is not much different if he outputs 480i or 1080i from his stb to his 875, while I (and some others of you) find a great deal of diff in outputting 480i or 1080i from a stb.
post #827 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

No, he is referring to the SA8300HD cable STB, and the settings that it has for 4:3.
post #828 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 08:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

No, he is referring to the SA8300HD cable STB, and the settings that it has for 4:3.

So I was confused! Indeed everybody's situation is different.
post #829 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

The 8300 is your display, right? Like you, I can set my display (JVC RS1 pj in my case) to an Aspect ratio of 4:3, and this 'unstretches' the stretched pic I get from the Moto stb when I set the Override to 480i. The problem some other folks are having is that their displays don't have this capability.

PS Like Joerod said, every situation is somewhat different. E.g., he finds that the PQ is not much different if he outputs 480i or 1080i from his stb to his 875, while I (and some others of you) find a great deal of diff in outputting 480i or 1080i from a stb.

i dont change the aspect ratio on the RS1, i leave it at 16:9 and let the STB control AR which does 480i with sidebars.
post #830 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Word, when you go direct to your JVC, bypassing the Onkyo, do you still get a stretched picture? If not, what happens when you set the Onkyo's output to 1080i? Is the stretching only in 1080p?

I'll have to check, it seems like I tried but I can't remember
post #831 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Correct... if you select the AVR's component input (whichever one you're using) and switch the TV to its (correct ) component input, voila! Same with HDMI. Those charts on ppg 28&29 are very straight forward... Right now I have my SD TiVo connected to my 805 w/s-video, my HD-A2 connected w/HDMI. No probs. Warning! If you select the AVR's component input it may or may not be output to the TV on the HDMI... again, that's where you have to read the parts about HDMI Monitor to YES/NO, and Monitor Out Resolution. I'm fairly sure that in your case you want HDMI Monitor to YES, and (if you get the 875/905) the Monitor Out Resolution at whichever you choose.

It would appear that I would want HDMI set to NO... see attached pic...in order to get component to component with resolution to passthru. It says if anything other than passthru then HDMI won't flow. With it set to yes, it says component will convert to HDMI. BUT the diagram does show component to component or HDMI

So, is this correct.... HDMI monitor to yes, but passthru so component to component and HDMI to HDMI. (they did not say that! ) If not set to passthru but to scale then component will go to HDMI. OK

Next question below........
LL
LL
post #832 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

You're saying the STB is sending out a stretched 480i picture and the Onkyo is just passing it along. At least I think that's what you're saying.

In thinking about this, it may not be so simple for the Onkyo to simply 'shrink' the stretched 480i picture. I say this because it depends on the way the STB is first stetching the picture. If it's a non-linear stretch being applied by the STB, I would think there's no way for the Onkyo to know that and it would simply apply a linear 'shrink' to bring the video back to 4:3. But I would think the end result of this would look weird. I may be way off, but.....as one other poster mentioned, he can get a 4:3 480i picture from his 8300.
post #833 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Q. Re: 875/905

Viewing TV while listening to alternate audio source, ie radio, streaming music, etc.

Can you do this, and if so how is it done.

Thanks!
post #834 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:

I get the stretching in all HD modes (720p, 1080i, and 1080p). My picture does not get stretched when I bypass the Onkyo.
post #835 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:54 AM

Quote:

You're saying the STB is sending out a stretched 480i picture and the Onkyo is just passing it along. At least I think that's what you're saying.

In thinking about this, it may not be so simple for the Onkyo to simply 'shrink' the stretched 480i picture. I say this because it depends on the way the STB is first stetching the picture. If it's a non-linear stretch being applied by the STB, I would think there's no way for the Onkyo to know that and it would simply apply a linear 'shrink' to bring the video back to 4:3. But I would think the end result of this would look weird. I may be way off, but.....as one other poster mentioned, he can get a 4:3 480i picture from his 8300.

I don't think his STB is streching the image. The stretch is being done by the onkyo in my case. Strange that when I send 1080i to the onkyo, no stretching happens.
post #836 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:

However, no scaling occurs on any video if you take it out the same as you send it in (e.g., 1080p in on component video = 1080i out on component video).

Scaling does occur on any input to both HDMI and component on the 875.
post #837 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 10:03 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by word302 View Post

Scaling does occur on any input to any output on the 875.

So, if you put 480i in on s-video, you can take 1080i out on s-video? I would be very surprised at that (and extremely disappointed that I "settled" for the 805 ).
I didn't mean to imply that all analog inputs are never upconverted. That is the crux of the HDMI YES/NO choice. I also didn't mean to imply that all analog inputs are never upscaled... That is the crux of the Monitor Out Resolution selection...

I guess I just cannot put it in writing (and I'm not so sure Onkyo can either )

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #838 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Q. Re: 875/905

Viewing TV while listening to alternate audio source, ie radio, streaming music, etc.

Can you do this, and if so how is it done.

Thanks!

What would this entail? Just passing video-only from one source and audio-only from the other? Are there any receivers where you can choose more than one setting like that (TV, DVD, CD, etc)? I've only been able to do it (on cheap receivers, mind you) by moving cables around....
post #839 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 10:13 AM

Quote:

So, if you put 480i in on s-video, you can take 1080i out on s-video? I would be very surprised at that (and extremely disappointed that I "settled" for the 805 ).
I didn't mean to imply that all analog inputs are never upconverted. That is the crux of the HDMI YES/NO choice. I also didn't mean to imply that all analog inputs are never upscaled... That is the crux of the Monitor Out Resolution selection...

I guess I just cannot put it in writing (and I'm not so sure Onkyo can either )

Sorry I should havs clarrified, any input can be converted and scaled to the component and HDMI outputs.

I should read better before I reply
post #840 of 6053 Old 07-28-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obiwanfong View Post

What would this entail? Just passing video-only from one source and audio-only from the other? Are there any receivers where you can choose more than one setting like that (TV, DVD, CD, etc)? I've only been able to do it (on cheap receivers, mind you) by moving cables around....

You select the video source you want to watch, let the picture come up, then switch to the audio source you want to listen to. The video from the original source remains on the screen.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page