AVS Forum banner

"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread

903K views 6K replies 890 participants last post by  dlaloum 
#1 ·
I bought my TX-SR875B from ABT Electronics tonight afterwork. They had

5 units, 4 were pre-sold, and I got their first and last one they can sell

Attached are pictures from the unit, 1 front, 1 back, and 1 advanced OSD.

For 1080p, you can only enable it, that all, no other option (24, 60, etc)

I enabled 1080p, and I verified all my sources (XBOX360, Directv, and HDA1)

my upscaled to 1080p. I don't know it leave 1080p24 untouched since

my DLP only tells me it recieved 1080p.

360 and Directv picture seems to be more solid (less blur and flicking) with the REON.

For some reason, the OSD is 480p only. Time to play more

Below is the thread summary collected by foofoobar

Availability:

- Availability seems to be scarce in general and things are expected to improve by mid-August

Advantages of the 875 over the 805:

- Superior 1080p upconversion over HDMI using the Reon HQV chip.

- Upconverts *any* input to 1080p over HDMI. Lower resolutions like 720p and pass through modes are possible too.

- 875 will not do anything to 1080p HDMI signal, it will pass it to TV untouched

- 875 will not pass 1080p component signal to HDMI. (Tested with XBOX360

only, it might be XBOX360 problem)

875 vs. 905:

- The 905 adds an extra HDMI output, USB port, Ethernet port and associated network music playback capabilities

- The 905 has a superior power supply that may run cooler too

AQ reports:

- Audio quality is more or less the same as the 805

PQ reports:

- Based on preliminary reports, the SD-upconversion quality of the 875 is close to if not as good as the Toshiba XA2

- SD programming seems to look better too, but don't expect SD-DVD like miracles.

- Games look pretty good too.

- For best results, try to input the native resolution of the content you are viewing from your STB / DVD player and let the Reon in the 875 do all the heavy lifting. For SD-DVD this translates into 480i, but in case it's not possible, 480p seems to work pretty good as well.

- You may have to turn down the brightness levels on your display device if the colors in the upconverted image look washed out.

Reported problems:

- 4:3 material is stretched to 16:9 when up-converting to 1080p

- Receiver does not offer fine grained control over the Reon's capabilities (like adjusting brightness, noise reduction, aspect ratio control etc.) This may be addressed via a future firmware update.

- Some people have experienced speaker popping, but this may be a PS3 specific issue.

- Heat dissipation might be a problem

Other:

- The "secret menu" does not offer any useful functionality at present; more expected in the future via firmware update.

See less See more
#52 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfdtv /forum/post/0

You've indicated you have a HR20.

I assume you've set the HR20 to output all formats natively, so your HR20 outputs SD channels as 480i, 720p channels as 720p, and 1080i channels as 1080p?

Once you've done that, is there an added delay in switching between a SD (480i) and a HD channel? And if so, is it a fraction of a second or more than a second?

Yes, my HR20 is set to to output all formats natively. I didn't notices any

"addition" delay in surfing compared to previous. Like I said before, there is

handshaking problem between 875 and HR20, and simple power up PS3

fixed the problem, that might concern you (what happen if I don't have a PS3).

#53 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalley /forum/post/0

I believes my 360 was set to component output 720p and 875 upscaled it to HDMI 1080p.

If I set the 360 to 1080p, the 875 will output HDMI 1080p too.The question is how do

I tell whether 875 does anything to the XBoX360 1080p video? My DLP doesn't

take 1080p component either.

Yeah, I think without a 1080p component input on the DLP, there's not much to do. But I think it's a pretty good start if you're able to output 1080p from the xbox and have a 1080p output via HDMI. Mine, there's a line on the tv top and some distorsion when going trough the receiver. So I would guess if your image is clean at 1080p with no evidence of a scanline or something, it accept 1080p signal!

#54 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFoley /forum/post/0

Sorry that I wasn't clear. I meant to ask about the audio delay settings. Were they at the default of 40ms or did you have to change them?

Yes, they are default at 40ms, and I didn't change them "yet"

I did notices there were some "minor" out of sync, I am not sure whether the 40ms delay is needed.

#55 ·
When SD 4x3 content gets scaled to 1080p does the Onkyo put black bars on the sides to retain 4x3 within the 16x9 1080p image or does it stretch the frame to fill the full 16x9 image?

I'm kind of hoping it does black bars because then I can set my cable box (SA HD 8300) to full pass-through and get HD as 16x9 and get SD as 4x3 with black bars (courtesy of the Onkyo) withouth having to switch my tv from wide to normal depending on programming. But I guess this might cause some annoyances with anamorphic widescreen content from a DVD player, where you'd want the upconverted content to fill the full frame sent to your television without bars.

#58 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodine23 /forum/post/0

When SD 4x3 content gets scaled to 1080p does the Onkyo put black bars on the sides to retain 4x3 within the 16x9 1080p image or does it stretch the frame to fill the full 16x9 image?

I'm kind of hoping it does black bars because then I can set my cable box (SA HD 8300) to full pass-through and get HD as 16x9 and get SD as 4x3 with black bars (courtesy of the Onkyo) withouth having to switch my tv from wide to normal depending on programming. But I guess this might cause some annoyances with anamorphic widescreen content from a DVD player, where you'd want the upconverted content to fill the full frame sent to your television without bars.

The SD I watched was 4X3 with 2 side bars. I believes it is set in my HR20

to output 4x3 not 875 (at least 875 didn't mess it up)

That all folks, I have to go to company's picnic (that why I didn't call in sick
)

Will do some testing tonight.

#61 ·
nice, it's in stock at B&M's already? I was expecting shipments in the third week.

Oooh, the joys and burden of being the first one. Congrats.

- I wonder how bad the video delay is on this unit (connecting something like the PS3)

- Wonder if they've solved the pop/clicks problems (random pops through speakers while watching programs)

#62 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/0

nice, it's in stock at B&M's already? I was expecting shipments in the third week.

Oooh, the joys and burden of being the first one. Congrats.

- I wonder how bad the video delay is on this unit (connecting something like the PS3)

- Wonder if they've solved the pop/clicks problems (random pops through speakers while watching programs)

What would cause a video delay?

And, in over 100 pages of the 805 thread which I have read, I don't recall "random pops through speakers while watching programs" being a problem ever.

The 875 is basically the same as the 805 with the Reon, they share the same manual.

#63 ·
Really looking forward to hearing more about how well the Reon chip does on upconverting sdtv; svalley's initial report was NOT very encouraging, but I'll wait to hear more. The Reon chip is about the only really significant thing I see about the 875 over the 805 (am I missing something else?), unless of course it is free of some of the (relatively minor) 'issues' discussed re the 805.

I really don't need the Reon for dvd upconversion, since my Sam 1200 BRD has this and does it extremely well. But if the Reon makes a significant improvement of sdtv, that's a pretty big deal, for my wife still finds things she wants to watch on sd channels (and there's the History Channel too, for Tony S and me!)

#64 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobieck1 /forum/post/0

And, in over 100 pages of the 805 thread which I have read, I don't recall "random pops through speakers while watching programs" being a problem ever.

The 875 is basically the same as the 805 with the Reon, they share the same manual.

Video delay shouldn't be a problem. It wasn't when I had the 805. Maybe he means the 3-4 seconds that the receiver takes to correctly detect the different audio signals. Others have said that it can be remedied by going into the menu setting and pre-determing what audio setting each audio signal should receive.

My biggest or only concern with these Onkyo's is any noticeable audio sync delay. The default 30 to 40ms delay that Onkyo placed on the audio inputs made my problems worse. Even at 0ms there was an audible delay in people lip movements and it could be tested when routing audio from one source into the receiver and to my wireless headphones or tv speakers. There was a pronounced echo, created by the receiver and that made movie/tv watching near impossible.

#66 ·

Quote:

Look again. I too am very interested if you are noticing clicking or pops when powering up or using the PS3. Don't know if this will matter anyways seeing as it seems to be hit or miss on the 805. Mine will be here Friday and I am starting to get a little nervous.

#67 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict /forum/post/0

Look again. I too am very interested if you are noticing clicking or pops when powering up or using the PS3. Don't know if this will matter anyways seeing as it seems to be hit or miss on the 805. Mine will be here Friday and I am starting to get a little nervous.

This guy says its a PS3 issue, from this very thread. I don't have one so I have no proof one way or the other

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post11059625

#68 ·

Quote:

Video delay is the time the video processor introduces into real time video doing its scaling/deinterlacing duties. If you are playing twitch video games, the extra 50-100 ms the video may be delayed may make some games unplayable (say Guitar Hero PS2). That's why some TV's may have a "game mode", in order to minimize the delay when a video game machine is being used.

I only glanced at the popping thread, so I'm not clear on what the popping is because I haven't heard it myself, but I was getting concerned based on posts like this which seem to indicate popping during continuous program material

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10948245

#69 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by warpdrive /forum/post/0

Video delay is the time the video processor introduces into real time video doing its scaling/deinterlacing duties. If you are playing twitch video games, the extra 50-100 ms the video may be delayed may make some games unplayable (say Guitar Hero PS2). That's why some TV's may have a "game mode", in order to minimize the delay when a video game machine is being used.

I only glanced at the popping thread, so I'm not clear on what the popping is because I haven't heard it myself, but I was getting concerned based on posts like this which seem to indicate popping during continuous program material

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...post10948245

I have read that one. Well, I have never heard a pop out of any of my speakers (knock on wood) with this unit or my last one (604).

As far as the video, that is interesing. My TV has a game mode, but I never know what it was for.

#71 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjv /forum/post/0

Is svalley the only person in the world to get the 875 so far?? Seems a little strange that only one person would have this unit in a 24 hour period based on the anticipated demand of hundreds indicated on the http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=831063 ??

It does seem a little strange that we have not heard from someone else that has gotten an 875 yet. However, it may be that a lot of people don't know about this forum, but have the gotten the 875. Still...

I called J&R today, and they told me they are expecting 30 black units and 15 silver units on Monday. If allocation issues are as bad as I have read by some posters, they may only get a third of that. Not sure if my preorder number is 10 or lower... I actually think I am around 12 or something, which would suck...

#72 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjdick /forum/post/0

It does seem a little strange that we have not heard from someone else that has gotten an 875 yet. However, it may be that a lot of people don't know about this forum, but have the gotten the 875. Still...

I called J&R today, and they told me they are expecting 30 black units and 15 silver units on Monday. If allocation issues are as bad as I have read by some posters, they may only get a third of that. Not sure if my preorder number is 10 or lower... I actually think I am around 12 or something, which would suck...

Well to the OP's credit, he said he picked it up at a B&M that got 5, and 4 were pre-sold. I think most everyone else on here pre-ordered from places. I believe some people had tracking numbers yesterday for delivery tomorrow.

#74 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by svalley /forum/post/0

The SD I watched was 4X3 with 2 side bars. I believes it is set in my HR20

to output 4x3 not 875 (at least 875 didn't mess it up)

That all folks, I have to go to company's picnic (that why I didn't call in sick
)

Will do some testing tonight.

Okay I guess I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the Onkyo added the black bars or that your HR20 (satellite receiver?) added the black bars?

#75 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by iodine23 /forum/post/0

Okay I guess I'm a bit confused. Are you saying the Onkyo added the black bars or that your HR20 (satellite receiver?) added the black bars?

I`m sorry but no PANAMORPH compatibility, that means I need to buy a REAL Video processor like DVDO or LUMAGEN or..., to stretch or zoom vertically 2:35 top to the entire 16:9 resolution

#76 ·
How about the sound quality of the 875 Vs 805 is better or the same?? The differences between the two are only the reon and 10 more watts on all chanells?? Does it mean that if we dont need the Reon the 805 is about the same as 875, dac, etc ??? I am a little confused

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.