"The" Onkyo TX-SR875 Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In regards to the whole video processing menu situation, the sad part is that some exec at Onkyo is going to look at this issue and conclude that the mistake was putting the menu in the 905.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EskimoPie View Post

I received my new 875 from J&R yesterday and I gotta say I'm loving it so far.

I want to say though I'm having NO issues with the SD 4:3 content like I've heard so many people complaining about. I was very concerned about this so I'm very relieved that my 4:3 SD is remaining 4:3 through the 875. My setup is a TiVo S3 via HDMI to the 875 and then on to a Samsung 60" LED DLP via HDMI. The TiVo is set to "Native" which passes all signals through without scaling them, the 875 is set to 1080p and the TV is set to 'Just Scan' which essentially means no scaling or stretching is happening.

Obviously I get the couple seconds of blank screen time when switching between different resolution channels (switching between channels of the same resolution happens instantly) but HD channels are 16:9 and SD channels are 4:3... and it all looks beautiful! All I can figure is that the S3 is somehow adding the pillar boxing to the 4:3 content, but that doesn't really make sense to me... How would it know to pillar box the 480i content all of a sudden?

I just got my 875 from J&R yesterday also, and I do have the 4:3 problem. The main difference between my setup and yours is that I have a Comcast/Motorola DVR connected to the 875 via component and the 875 connected to the TV via HDMI. The Motorola 6412 doesn't have a Native option, but it does have a 4:3 override option to send 480i.

I'm wondering if there's anybody who has the 480i problem where the 480i source is connected via HDMI. I'm going to try to swap my DVR with Comcast tomorrow and get a 6416 which has HDMI output and see if that fixes the problem. I'll post my results.
post #1563 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 11:57 AM

Does anyone have an idea how many of these units are expected to be sold over its lifespan? I just wonder if readers of this forum are the only ones who care about this issue and whether that number of owners is enough to cause Onkyo to care all that much or if they consider - I dunno, 200? - owners to be an insignificant number.

I'm not saying that the people here don't matter, but I assume that to create and then disseminate a firmware upgrade would cost a decent amount of money to Onkyo that may just not be worth it for them. In all likelihood, most people that buy this receiver will get it based on listening tests and/or sales pitches from salesmen and will probably never know or care about this menu that is missing. I guess it's hard to say, but it's just a thought.

Maybe it would be interesting to see a poll aimed at owners and potential buyers to determine how important this really is to them.
post #1564 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by kplex View Post

I just got my 875 from J&R yesterday also, and I do have the 4:3 problem. The main difference between my setup and yours is that I have a Comcast/Motorola DVR connected to the 875 via component and the 875 connected to the TV via HDMI. The Motorola 6412 doesn't have a Native option, but it does have a 4:3 override option to send 480i.

I'm wondering if there's anybody who has the 480i problem where the 480i source is connected via HDMI. I'm going to try to swap my DVR with Comcast tomorrow and get a 6416 which has HDMI output and see if that fixes the problem. I'll post my results.

Sorry....it won't

My Comcast HD DVR (8300HD) is connected via HDMI.

ALL 480i/480p pictures are stretched and there is no way to preserve their aspect ratio. I have confirmed this by calling Onkyo....morons.

XBOX - Hyperplasia | PS4 - Hyperplasia
post #1565 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

Sorry....it won't

My Comcast HD DVR (8300HD) is connected via HDMI.

ALL 480i/480p pictures are stretched and there is no way to preserve their aspect ratio. I have confirmed this by calling Onkyo....morons.

Unless your display has the option to format it that way. Some displays won't let you adjust aspect for HD signals. My Sammy HLS6187 does allow aspect changes to HD inputs though. I haven't gotten my 875 yet - but I assume it shouldn't be an issue for me and my time warner 8300HD. My DVR does have passthrough options as well.
post #1566 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post

Unless your display has the option to format it that way. Some displays won't let you adjust aspect for HD signals. My Sammy HLS6187 does allow aspect changes to HD inputs though. I haven't gotten my 875 yet - but I assume it shouldn't be an issue for me and my time warner 8300HD. My DVR does have passthrough options as well.

doesn't that mean having to switch your TV's pillarbox setting every time you get a HD (16:9) sourced signal? who wants that?

i'm in NYC and also have the timewarner 8300HD w/Passport.

Pillarboxing 4:3 IS an option with our Passport software, but it forces ghastly GREY bars (presumably for ancient plasmas susceptible to Burn-in) and there's no option to change it to black. apparently you can in other non-NY software for the 8300...

whats the solution?
post #1567 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
I'm a new 875 owner as of last week. Still haven't really found the time to really put it through its paces.

I have my Scientific Atlanta (Rogers Cablevision) 8300HD with 480i/720p/1080i enabled with passthrough ON, and my aspect ratio is correct outputting to 1080P to my XBR2 set.

The delays in switching from one resolution to another are pretty nasty, but other than that, this receiver seems very nice. It gets ungodly hot after just normal use so I'm going to order a computer cooling fan for my piece of mind.

Certified Ultra Professional AVS Special Member Class A
post #1568 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined View Post

doesn't that mean having to switch your TV's pillarbox setting every time you get a HD (16:9) sourced signal? who wants that?

i'm in NYC and also have the timewarner 8300HD w/Passport.

Pillarboxing 4:3 IS an option with our Passport software, but it forces ghastly GREY bars (presumably for ancient plasmas susceptible to Burn-in) and there's no option to change it to black. apparently you can in other non-NY software for the 8300...

whats the solution?

I'm quite used to the grey bars and don't mind them. Eliab from avicals suggestion was to have a flap of fabric that you could roll up over the tv and then down over the bars when viewing 4:3. I have a harmony 880 so changing aspects can simply be programmed as a part of an activity. I don't mind the hastle of hitting another button when I switch to SD content - it only takes a second. If you output through S-video there are black bars instead of gray - and I know some people prefer watching SD cable content via S-video anyways.
post #1569 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harken2 View Post

Maybe it would be interesting to see a poll aimed at owners and potential buyers to determine how important this really is to them.

The satisfaction poll is here -- owners and prospective buyers -- please vote:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=890592
post #1570 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dildatonr View Post

My Pioneer 5080 will reformat stretched 4:3 content, but there are two problems with that. First, my TV switches into "Auto" mode every time I tune an HD channel. When I go back to an SD channel, it's stretched again. I wish my remote had a 4:3 button instead of having to repeatedly press the Size button.

Second, stretching it with the Reon then resizing it with my TV results in an extra scaling operation that degrades the picture somewhat. It partially defeats one of the best features of the Reon.

If and when Onkyo decides to add a video options menu to a future firmware release, the main feature I'll be looking for is the ability to preserve 4:3 aspect ratio and to control whether the pillar boxes are black or gray.

Also, I'm really confused about why some people don't have this problem. What the hell is the significant difference in the sytems that scale correctly?
post #1571 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I've been waiting to purchase this 875 for some time. I've been without my Denon 3805 since November (even ordered a B stock Yammy 5890 that UPS dropped and went back in the meantime). Now I'm back reading up at this thread, and can't believe what I see. Now I'm thinking of waiting for some other options from different mfg's. Are those waiting to buy this feeling the same way? Already owners here are asking for firmware upgrades. Sheesh!

A man meets a genie. The genie tells him he can ask for whatever he wants, but his mother-in-law gets double of what he gets. The man says give me a million dollars and beat me till I'm half dead.
post #1572 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harken2 View Post

Does anyone have an idea how many of these units are expected to be sold over its lifespan? I just wonder if readers of this forum are the only ones who care about this issue and whether that number of owners is enough to cause Onkyo to care all that much or if they consider - I dunno, 200? - owners to be an insignificant number.

I'm not saying that the people here don't matter, but I assume that to create and then disseminate a firmware upgrade would cost a decent amount of money to Onkyo that may just not be worth it for them. In all likelihood, most people that buy this receiver will get it based on listening tests and/or sales pitches from salesmen and will probably never know or care about this menu that is missing. I guess it's hard to say, but it's just a thought.

Producing a firmware upgrade is not something that any manufacturer will take lightly. I suspect they have their hands quite full right now simply dealing with all of the questions that come up when new products are introduced. Distributing a firmware update means that they would then have tons of questions to field about why the upgrade would or would not be needed, how to apply the upgrade, how to fix the problems that will inevitably occur when users mess it up and then they'll have a mix of firmware versions out there that must be supported. Add to this the finite possibility of introducing a new problem inadvertently and perhaps you begin to understand why they won't be reacting immediately.
post #1573 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 04:41 PM

I don't know what's going on. I was just watching War of the Worlds on HBOHD and during a great loud sound effects scene, when alien first comes out of the street, the reciever just SHUT OFF all by itself and started blinking the red standby light. I turned it back on, rewound the scene and it was fine. I even tried doing it again with the volume up and nothing happened.

What is going on? Is this something I should worry about?
post #1574 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 PM

Ugh, not happy. Finally received my 875 from J&R, get it all unpacked and set up. Try to go into auto speaker set up mode and it won't even detect a speaker in the right front or right surround speaker port. Am I hosed? Any one have any idea of what to do?

Thanks,
Mike
post #1575 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLD View Post

I don't know what's going on. I was just watching War of the Worlds on HBOHD and during a great loud sound effects scene, when alien first comes out of the street, the reciever just SHUT OFF all by itself and started blinking the red standby light. I turned it back on, rewound the scene and it was fine. I even tried doing it again with the volume up and nothing happened.

What is going on? Is this something I should worry about?

Sounds like it went into some kind of protective mode. Was the case hot? What kind of speakers are you driving (4 ohms, etc)?

Hal
post #1576 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj View Post

Ugh, not happy. Finally received my 875 from J&R, get it all unpacked and set up. Try to go into auto speaker set up mode and it won't even detect a speaker in the right front or right surround speaker port. Am I hosed? Any one have any idea of what to do?

Thanks,
Mike

Can you go to speaker config and manually setup up your speaker info? I found Audessey troublesome and actually I'm not using it at all. Confirm all you speakers are showing up there and then go to Level Calibration to see if you get sound there at each channel.

If still nothing I think the manual lists a way to reset the reciever to factory defaults - try this then manually setup your speaker info - types, sizes and crossovers, distances and level calibration. Try not to run Audessey.

To reset:
Turn on the reciever
Hold down the VCR/DVR on the front panel
Press Standby on the front panel
Clear appears in the display and the receiver will power off.

Also make sure no stray wires at the speaker terminals. If running 4 or 6 ohm speakers this needs changed in the config I believe.
post #1577 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Believe me, I can understand everyone's frustration with the 4:3 issue. I have to say, this blame cannot be placed solely on the receiver here. The issue is with 640x480 versus 720x480. The latter resolution is basically what anamorphic DVD is, while the latter is what standard 4:3 video is. Sources that output component or HDMI video should all have a way to take 4:3 video and pillarbox it (in essence, creating a 720x480 video output while maintaining the aspect ratio). That way, no stretching would be done by ther receiver or the display. My point here is that source components are as much to blame for this as the receiver (and the HDTV for that matter).
post #1578 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma View Post

Sounds like it went into some kind of protective mode. Was the case hot? What kind of speakers are you driving (4 ohms, etc)?

It was on for maybe 3-5 minutes. It wasn't hot at all. I'm driving the Sierra-1s which are 8 ohms.
post #1579 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan View Post

I've been waiting to purchase this 875 for some time. I've been without my Denon 3805 since November (even ordered a B stock Yammy 5890 that UPS dropped and went back in the meantime). Now I'm back reading up at this thread, and can't believe what I see. Now I'm thinking of waiting for some other options from different mfg's. Are those waiting to buy this feeling the same way? Already owners here are asking for firmware upgrades. Sheesh!

I'd strongly urge you not to jump to any conclusions. Unless stretching 4:3 to 16:9 and the lack of fine-tuning of the Reon are dealbreakers for you (which is totally understandable), it is a GREAT rcvr, particularly for the pricepoint. The folks that are asking for new fw aren't doing it b/c the rcvr is defective -- they're doing it b/c they would like that extra bit of control.

Have no doubt, as a deinterlacer and scaler (but particularly as a deinterlacer IMHO), it is a great rcvr, and it meets and in many ways exceeds expectations as a centerpiece to your HT.

For me, it's a great choice, and I'm very happy.
post #1580 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Well tried the reset, tried the manual speaker config. Still nothing in either channel. I even plugged the speakers that weren't working into channels that were live. The issue is definitely with the receiver. hopefully J&R can rectify the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantzen View Post

Can you go to speaker config and manually setup up your speaker info? I found Audessey troublesome and actually I'm not using it at all. Confirm all you speakers are showing up there and then go to Level Calibration to see if you get sound there at each channel.

If still nothing I think the manual lists a way to reset the reciever to factory defaults - try this then manually setup your speaker info - types, sizes and crossovers, distances and level calibration. Try not to run Audessey.

To reset:
Turn on the reciever
Hold down the VCR/DVR on the front panel
Press Standby on the front panel
Clear appears in the display and the receiver will power off.

Also make sure no stray wires at the speaker terminals. If running 4 or 6 ohm speakers this needs changed in the config I believe.

post #1581 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 08:19 PM

I'm having an issue that I believe was introduced by the 875. I have it connect to a Sony 46XBR2 and a Comcast HD DVR box (Motorola 3412, I believe). I've had the Motorola connected to the Sony for quite a long time now and have had no video issues. However, over the past few weeks of using the 875 I see a sort of "stutter" while watching HD content (don't know about SD content since we don't really watch any). The problem occurs with On Demand, DVR'd material and live content (occasionally). I've never seen anything like it with Comcast. It's not the typical pixelization that one encounters with digital content from time to time. The picture remains razor sharp but there is a slight "stutter" to the motion of the video. It's usually fairly subtle, but once you notice it, it's annoying.

I have the Comcast box set to output 1080i and have everything connected via HDMI. Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this? Do any other owners with the Sony XBR2 (or 3) series and the Motorola/Comcast box see this problem? Anyone have a general feeling to whether this might be HDMI cables or settings? Any ideas would be appreciated.
post #1582 of 6053 Old 08-14-2007, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyefan View Post

If you see the satisfaction poll, you will notice that most owners are very satisfied with the AQ/PQ. The bone of discontentment stems from the fact that the 905 gives a little more control over the Reon features. More than the exclusion of the menu itself, it's the fact that it wasn't clearly advertised as such is what makes it especially grating. If this has been clear from the beginning, some of us might have chosen the 905 for the extra control.

If you don't care about the Reon menu, the 875 has to be one of the very best receivers on the market right now...
post #1583 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LushMojo View Post

I'm having an issue that I believe was introduced by the 875. I have it connect to a Sony 46XBR2 and a Comcast HD DVR box (Motorola 3412, I believe). I've had the Motorola connected to the Sony for quite a long time now and have had no video issues. However, over the past few weeks of using the 875 I see a sort of "stutter" while watching HD content (don't know about SD content since we don't really watch any). The problem occurs with On Demand, DVR'd material and live content (occasionally). I've never seen anything like it with Comcast. It's not the typical pixelization that one encounters with digital content from time to time. The picture remains razor sharp but there is a slight "stutter" to the motion of the video. It's usually fairly subtle, but once you notice it, it's annoying.

I have the Comcast box set to output 1080i and have everything connected via HDMI. Does anyone have any experience with an issue like this? Do any other owners with the Sony XBR2 (or 3) series and the Motorola/Comcast box see this problem? Anyone have a general feeling to whether this might be HDMI cables or settings? Any ideas would be appreciated.

I saw the same thing repeatedly while watching Masters of Science Fiction which I recorded in HD from ABC. It may have happened to a lesser extent watching the Closer on TNT but it wasn't as noticable. I agree it's really annoying.

I have a Comcast 6412 HD DVR connected via component/coax-digital and set to 1080i, and a Pioneer PDP-5080 connected via HDMI to the 875.

I haven't solved it yet, but I'm theorizing it's an AV sync issue. Maybe in order to synchronize audio and video, the 875 drops video frames occasionally.
post #1584 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 07:01 AM

SO glad someone else has seen this. I'm going to try doing a reset on the 875 and see if the issue continues. Beyond that I guess I'll talk to Onkyo.

Quote:

I saw the same thing repeatedly while watching Masters of Science Fiction which I recorded in HD from ABC. It may have happened to a lesser extent watching the Closer on TNT but it wasn't as noticable. I agree it's really annoying.

I have a Comcast 6412 HD DVR connected via component/coax-digital and set to 1080i, and a Pioneer PDP-5080 connected via HDMI to the 875.

I haven't solved it yet, but I'm theorizing it's an AV sync issue. Maybe in order to synchronize audio and video, the 875 drops video frames occasionally.

post #1585 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 08:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

SO glad someone else has seen this. I'm going to try doing a reset on the 875 and see if the issue continues. Beyond that I guess I'll talk to Onkyo.

I'm curious, when you noticed this problem, were you watching 720p content, ie something from ABC or ESPN? I know your signal to the 875 is 1080i, but I'm wondering if this only occurs with signals that have been converted from 720p to 1080i.
post #1586 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyj View Post

Well tried the reset, tried the manual speaker config. Still nothing in either channel. I even plugged the speakers that weren't working into channels that were live. The issue is definitely with the receiver. hopefully J&R can rectify the situation.

Sorry to hear - maybe give Onkyo support a call first.
I've never dealt with J&R on returns but I think they have a fair return/exchange policy. Good luck.
post #1587 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 AM

Quote:

Not sure if it helps but I am running the following config with no stutterning issues:

DirecTv H20 (720p / 1080i) HDMI -> 875 (720p) HDMI -> Sony KDF-e60a20 (768p)

Are other sources OK?

What resolution are you feeding out of the 875 and what is the native resolution of yout TV? 1080p? If you set the 875 to passthrough is there still a stutter?
post #1588 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 09:05 AM

Other sources are fine (upscaling DVD and Xbox 360). Will try passthrough and see if that resolves it. I have the 875 set to 1080p and the Sony LCD panel is 1080p native.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantzen View Post

Not sure if it helps but I am running the following config with no stutterning issues:

DirecTv H20 (720p / 1080i) HDMI -> 875 (720p) HDMI -> Sony KDF-e60a20 (768p)

Are other sources OK?

What resolution are you feeding out of the 875 and what is the native resolution of yout TV? 1080p? If you set the 875 to passthrough is there still a stutter?

post #1589 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 09:08 AM

I'm not entirely certain what the content was. It's been mainly stuff I've DVR'd from HBOHD or one of the HD channels from Star, Cinemax or Showtime. The last time we noticed it was last night watching Shooter from HD On Demand from Comcast. I just know that the issue NEVER occurred prior to using the 875. And it doesn't happen all the time.

Quote:

I'm curious, when you noticed this problem, were you watching 720p content, ie something from ABC or ESPN? I know your signal to the 875 is 1080i, but I'm wondering if this only occurs with signals that have been converted from 720p to 1080i.

post #1590 of 6053 Old 08-15-2007, 09:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs55 View Post

For those of us native 720p'ers who want this receiver in anticipation of a future 1080p display, can you confirm that you can set the ouput to 720p, feed it a 1080p signal, and have it downconvert to 720p?

Thanks

Good question. Any answers?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page