post #1681 of 2548 Old 04-03-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarnell View Post

Just received my 5300ES and want to know if I have an updated receiver. I do not see a green dot, but here is my serial number is 8808465.
Thanks

You're good,the serial # cutoff is 8806527.You have the latest firmware. The green dots were placed on units that received an earlier firmware upgrade.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1682 of 2548 Old 04-03-2008, 09:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbs47 View Post

You're good,the serial # cutoff is 8806527.You have the latest firmware. The green dots were placed on units that received an earlier firmware upgrade.

Wow, really? I just checked to verify, as I had been told I had the latest firmware. Would you believe my serial number is 8806528! Talk about cutting it close!

John
post #1683 of 2548 Old 04-03-2008, 10:38 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the significance to having the latest firmware? What does it fix?
post #1684 of 2548 Old 04-04-2008, 01:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 52
I've done a lot of experimenting, trying to nail down this issue. And I've come to the conclusion that the 5300ES doesn't output the correct subwoofer level when using PCM. It's about 4dB too weak.

I experimented using the Avia SD DVD, as its subwoofer calibration tones are bass sent to the individual 5 channels that depend on bass management in the receiver to re-route bass.

I used the PS3 for most of this, since it's easy to change between PCM (internal decoding) and bitstream (sending DD to the receiver as-is) on the fly, but I reproduced this with my Denon 2910 upconverting player, swapping between PCM and bitstream.

Test 1 -- PCM versus Bitstream, standard bass management (xo around 80Hz, receiver re-routing bass to sub)
*Bitstream = 80dB
*PCM = 76dB

Test 2 -- PCM versus Bitstream, standard bass management, speaker wire unplugged so only sub plays
*Bitstream = XdB
*PCM = 4dB lower
(don't remember the exact number)

Test 3 -- PCM versus Bitstream, speakers set to Large with no bass management engaged, only speaker playing bass
*Bitstream = 80dB
*PCM = 80dB

So I'm guessing the receiver outputs the sub level 4dB weaker when using PCM. It could also be a bass re-routing issue, but I didn't test any pure .1 LFE signals to check PCM vs bitstream. My HD DVD version of DVE might have a pure LFE signal, but I don't feel like testing right now.

I've just set up a "PCM" profile/position that has the sub level set 4dB higher, for mainly the PS3, since I can bitstream HD DVD off of the A35, and SD DVD off of the Denon 2910. Don't want weak bass on those Blu-ray movies...

Has anyone else encountered this? Is it a known issue with the receiver? Am I just missing some deep, hidden setting in the receiver that fixes this? I've found a simple workaround, but it's still a pain in the butt to have to change just for PS3.
post #1685 of 2548 Old 04-04-2008, 02:52 AM

i'm having trouble trying to upconvert analog tv signal sent through component and output to the tv via HDMI. the picture looks perfect on the tv, but it randomly turns to black screen - is it exactly the BLACK CRUSH issue people reported here or am i doing something wrong?
post #1686 of 2548 Old 04-04-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfoundDarkness View Post

What is the significance to having the latest firmware? What does it fix?

Also is the "green dot" a sticker or marking on the outside of the box itself?
post #1687 of 2548 Old 04-04-2008, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotSteve View Post

RS232 control - I have a Pronto TSU9600 and the wireless RFX9600 receiver box which has RS232 ports on it. Has anybody found a source of info on the RS232 protocol used by the 5300/4300? I'd like to implement 2-way control using the serial port. Thanks!

I was looking for the same information on this too a while back. I tried to communicate with the AVR over the 232 port and had no luck. I contacted Sony about it and this is what I got:

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

We are really sorry, but the RS232 control codes and protocol
information for your unit is only available to our authorized custom installers
service network. If you are a member of this network, please contact
our Sony custom installer technical support line for assistance.

Bummer...it's a feature listed on the spec sheet...does not say I have to be an integrator.
post #1688 of 2548 Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Did anybody ever determine the cause of the "pink screen" problem? Was it caused by certain HDMI cables? Was it fixed with a firmware release or are we still awaiting a fix?
post #1689 of 2548 Old 04-04-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zama89 View Post

Bummer...it's a feature listed on the spec sheet...does not say I have to be an integrator.

So, sign up as a custom integrator. They don't say you have to install a lot of systems, do they? Everybody has a first system. You are learning to be a custom installer by programming your first unit, aren't you?
post #1690 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 06:26 AM

I found a place online that is selling the 5300 for $1052 but they don't seem to be an authorized Sony retailer. The site has good reviews on Pricegrabber so it seems like a legitimate place.

What am I losing out on by not buying from an authorized Sony retailer?
post #1691 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:

I found a place online that is selling the 5300 for $1052 but they don't seem to be an authorized Sony retailer. The site has good reviews on Pricegrabber so it seems like a legitimate place.

What am I losing out on by not buying from an authorized Sony retailer?

Warranty, including advance exchange.
post #1692 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsteinhauer View Post

Warranty, including advance exchange.

So I won't be able to send it in and get the latest firmware!?
post #1693 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Advanced Member

I bought mine brand new on ebay and SONY exchanged it via Advanced Exchange. IIRC, I paid $1075 including overnight or two day shipping. I think this unit is overpriced for what you get, but the marketplace determines the price - we were both willing to pay this price.
post #1694 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag View Post

I bought mine brand new on ebay and SONY exchanged it via Advanced Exchange.

Thats great news. Thanks for the post.
post #1695 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag View Post

I bought mine brand new on ebay and SONY exchanged it via Advanced Exchange. IIRC, I paid $1075 including overnight or two day shipping. I think this unit is overpriced for what you get, but the marketplace determines the price - we were both willing to pay this price.

I think that's contrary to their usual policy. I sent mine in for warranty repairs unrelated to the firmware issues, and they required a bill of sale from an authorized dealer. Maybe it doesn't apply to the firmware, or maybe you got lucky with your contact. I guess I would not COUNT on being able to do this with from a non-authorized dealer.
post #1696 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 01:15 PM

So is the serial number listed on the outside of the box or do you have to unpack the unit and check on the back of the receiver?
post #1697 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 03:16 PM

Just got the 5300es, and realy like it, except for one big issue. All upscaling resolutions from the 5300es work great on my 1080P projector except 1080P. When I select that resolution, I get no display at all. After some searching, I found that is because the 5300es 1080P output is a 24hz vertical scan rate, and that my projector can not accept that low of a bandwidth. In fact, many 1080P lcd and projectors can only accept 50hz or 60hz in 1080P - only very new ones can accept 24hz.

On page 144 of the manual, it does say that it ouputs 1080P at both 24hz and 50hz. Though I can not figure out how to change the setting in the 5300es to output 50hz instead of 24hz (if it can even be done at all)???? So unless I buy a new 1080P projector that can accept 1080P@24hz, I will be limited to upscaling only to a max res of 1080i.

Also, if you plan to feed a HTPC into this avr, forget about it. The 5300es also limits 1080P input at either 24hz or 60hz. If you try to create a custom res of your HTPC (ie. 1080P@48hz or whatever), you will not get a display since the hdmi input on the 5300es will ignore it.

Thanks
post #1698 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 03:23 PM

I am somewhat new to my home theater and a new member to this forum (first post), so please direct me in the right place if I'm asking the wrong folks.

I finally got my 5300ES working properly after an advanced exchange. Still had some HDMI sync problems after getting it back, but found out most of those were directly caused by my HDMI cables having just ever too much sideways pressure on them and getting pushed slightly out of their slot (a design flaw in HDMI if I ever saw one).

Anyhoo, am VERY excited to finally have a great setup, including the new Panny BD-30, and some great Polk audio speakers, but am missing just one, albeit *important* thing--a good sub.

Are there any things I should keep in mind when shopping for one for this receiver. Any new technologies that I can take advantage of (or that the 5300 can)? Models people have had good experience with this receiver? Cost is no object (to a point obviously).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Sclomp
post #1699 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 03:32 PM

HELP PLEASE!

I am now on my 3rd 5300es and I still have the same problem. I can not get any audio when using HDMI cables.

I have a Sony S2000ES Blueray connected to HDMI 2. I have a directv HR21-700 hooked to HDMI 1, and I have a Sony CX995V hooked to HDMI 3. In all cases.. NO AUDIO. I have bought new cables top of the line Monster Cables. I have switched them around. I have changed inputs. I have started from stratch by clearing memory.
I have played with every menu setting I can find. This is the second receiver from advanced exchange. The last 2 receivers had serial numbers of 8809*** and up. The firmware is the last reported version.

I am getting frustrated and have just over a week before my 30 days are up on my original purchase. If I cannot fix this unit, I'm returning it for a refund.

Any and all suggestions please.

The receiver is hooked to a Sony 950XBR70 via HDMI with a DVI converter, as the TV only has DVI. Therefor, I cannot check to see if audio is being sent through to the TV. Also please note, I have had no problem with the video through HDMI. Also, I can get audio with optical cables from all the noted sources. I get audio with the DMPort as well.

Thanks,
Jay
post #1700 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 03:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclomp View Post

I am somewhat new to my home theater and a new member to this forum (first post), so please direct me in the right place if I'm asking the wrong folks.

I finally got my 5300ES working properly after an advanced exchange. Still had some HDMI sync problems after getting it back, but found out most of those were directly caused by my HDMI cables having just ever too much sideways pressure on them and getting pushed slightly out of their slot (a design flaw in HDMI if I ever saw one).

Anyhoo, am VERY excited to finally have a great setup, including the new Panny BD-30, and some great Polk audio speakers, but am missing just one, albeit *important* thing--a good sub.

Are there any things I should keep in mind when shopping for one for this receiver. Any new technologies that I can take advantage of (or that the 5300 can)? Models people have had good experience with this receiver? Cost is no object (to a point obviously).

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,
Sclomp

What speakers do you have? What's your budget? How big is your room? Are you in a single house, or in an apartment/condo/townhome?

There are lots of good subs out there, and often you can get one from an Internet Direct manuf and get double the value for the money.

You might start researching in the Subwoofers forum.
Check out Hsu, AV123, SVS, etc. for $300+. There are some good values below that as well.
post #1701 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScubaJay View Post

HELP PLEASE!

I am now on my 3rd 5300es and I still have the same problem. I can not get any audio when using HDMI cables.

I have a Sony S2000ES Blueray connected to HDMI 2. I have a directv HR21-700 hooked to HDMI 1, and I have a Sony CX995V hooked to HDMI 3. In all cases.. NO AUDIO. I have bought new cables top of the line Monster Cables. I have switched them around. I have changed inputs. I have started from stratch by clearing memory.
I have played with every menu setting I can find. This is the second receiver from advanced exchange. The last 2 receivers had serial numbers of 8809*** and up. The firmware is the last reported version.

I am getting frustrated and have just over a week before my 30 days are up on my original purchase. If I cannot fix this unit, I'm returning it for a refund.

Any and all suggestions please.

The receiver is hooked to a Sony 950XBR70 via HDMI with a DVI converter, as the TV only has DVI. Therefor, I cannot check to see if audio is being sent through to the TV. Also please note, I have had no problem with the video through HDMI. Also, I can get audio with optical cables from all the noted sources. I get audio with the DMPort as well.

Thanks,
Jay

The devices may be sensing the DVI on the other end and not sending out audio because of it. Go into the receiver's menu and set Decoding Priority(?) to "Amp" not "Auto" or "Amp/TV." Hopefully this will solve your problem.

If not, it may be the fact that you are using DVI. With my last TV, a Samsung DLP, I only had DVI. So for my PS3, I sent audio to the receiver over HDMI and went component out from my PS3 to the TV for video. With the other devices, I sent video over HDMI and audio over toslink optical, since none of my other devices had high-res audio anyway.
post #1702 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 04:13 PM

For ScubaJay,
I believe that the Directv receiver is not capable of sending the audio over HDMI. This is also true of the SA8300 used by Time Warner.

The audio must be sent over optical or other audio system.

The HDMI for the Directv and SA8300 only sends video
post #1703 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberbri View Post

The devices may be sensing the DVI on the other end and not sending out audio because of it. Go into the receiver's menu and set Decoding Priority(?) to "Amp" not "Auto" or "Amp/TV." Hopefully this will solve your problem.

If not, it may be the fact that you are using DVI. With my last TV, a Samsung DLP, I only had DVI. So for my PS3, I sent audio to the receiver over HDMI and went component out from my PS3 to the TV for video. With the other devices, I sent video over HDMI and audio over toslink optical, since none of my other devices had high-res audio anyway.

Now we are getting somewhere.

When I disconnect the HDMI cable to the TV, the audio appears at the receiver through the HDMI input. I tried using a different HDMI/DVI converter, but got the same result. Also, the AMP/ AMP-TV setting is on AMP
post #1704 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like you have the same issue I did with my Samsung DLP that only had DVI. You have to pick either audio or video over HDMI at a single time. Or upgrade your TV. That's what I did. hehe
post #1705 of 2548 Old 04-05-2008, 08:38 PM

Anyone got more info on the Menu Specialized, specifically listing other settings that are adjustable? What I'm trying to figure out is whether it is possible to change the HDMI 1080P res out on the 5300es from 24hz to 50hz. On page 144 of the manual, it does say that it does both those on the 'out' of 1080P, though mine is currently defaulting to 24hz. Since my prj/tv is unable to accept that resolution, I am limited to 1080i res/upscaling on the 5300es. For me to get 1080P, I need to change the settings in the 5300es to output 1080P at 50hz vs 24hz. I have entered the Menu Special, and have the following firmware - what issues will I have with these???:

A53ES UCA V1.08 58B5
Video Ucom V 1.05
Faroudja V 1.05
GUI CGRom V 1.03
DSP UCom V 1.05
DSP SFlash V 1.01
DSP PFlash V 1.18

BTW - is $444 a good price for an open-box but new unit from ebay? Thanks what I got in the end, though mostly cause the shipper caused some cosmetic damage (a small dent on the back right top corner, and two very small dents in the left front corner - barely visible). Originally paid $888 but got 1/2 off due to cosmetic damage. I had the option to return the unit at no extra cost to me and get full credit, or accept the damaged unit for $444 - I chose to keep it. Only issue is that I'm not sure if seller was authorized Sony dealer, so not sure if I'll be able to get the firmware update - again based on my versions will I have any issues???

What is "black crush" that everyone talks about??? I notice that some movies are a little on the dark side, but thought it was due to my prj needing adjustment. Is the dark image the black crush??

Thanks
post #1706 of 2548 Old 04-06-2008, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna_alexoov View Post

What is "black crush" that everyone talks about???

Example of black crush:

The bottom image is passing black correctly. The top image has crushed blacks. You see how the bottom image has details in the dark areas while the top one doesn't?
post #1707 of 2548 Old 04-06-2008, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sclomp View Post

Still had some HDMI sync problems after getting it back, but found out most of those were directly caused by my HDMI cables having just ever too much sideways pressure on them and getting pushed slightly out of their slot (a design flaw in HDMI if I ever saw one).

Thie HDMI connector design SUCKS! There are no two ways about it. The absence of some sort of locking feature (screws, twist lock,...) is irresponsible.
post #1708 of 2548 Old 04-06-2008, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anybody tried the auto-setup or auto-eq functionality? If so, how'd it work? What do you think?
post #1709 of 2548 Old 04-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Example of black crush:

The bottom image is passing black correctly. The top image has crushed blacks. You see how the bottom image has details in the dark areas while the top one doesn't?

That is a great example of "black crush". How did you do that? Are those screen captures with one via the receiver and the other direct connect (bypassing AVR)?
post #1710 of 2548 Old 04-06-2008, 03:05 PM

I just installed my new STR-DA5300ES and Infinity TSS-1200 speakers yesterday and I have no sound from my sub....

When we did the auto room setup there was sound from the sub and now nothing My other Infinity sub for my main room has a green light on when powered up but this one the light stays red.

I've went into the menus to have the amp output to the sub bit still nothing.

Would this be an issue with my Sub or something to do with the receiver?

James
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Da5300es Es 7 1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page