The Sony STR-DA5300ES thread - Page 85 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2521 of 2549 Old 01-30-2014, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently purchased a used DA5300ES, and so far 98% of the time it's great I really love it. Watching The Croods is incredible! I mean all the surrounds, it feels like the room is alive and there are animals surrounding you while watching...

But I occasionally hear a high pitch crack sound usually once a movie in my surround sound speakers, but only when I turn it up past -12... I assume my speakers are clipping. And that's what the sound is.

Can any audio geniuses (and I mean that totally seriously, you guys blow me away) out there tell me about how many watts is this receiver pumping out when I'm at say -10. I realize that has a lot to do with what the source is playing at the time, so I'll tell you its during a very loud scene. It just happened last night when the earth is cracking open in near the end of the movie The Croods. It comes at you from both sides.

Thoughts anyone?

I have Klipsch KB-15 as my surrounds if that helps.

That's wasn't flying... That was falling with style!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2522 of 2549 Old 01-30-2014, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please see my questions below.
post #2523 of 2549 Old 01-30-2014, 05:23 PM

Are you playing a BD or DVD? If so does the issue reoccur during the same scene? Does it happen with another disc? I ask because I had a similar issue with a particular low quality Blu-ray. If it repeats only with that particular Croods disk, then you have your answer.
post #2524 of 2549 Old 01-30-2014, 08:34 PM

No that's what sucks, if I replay the same scene it won't do it. But I think I instinctually turn it down when I hear that sound. So I'm not sure I'm playing the same scene at the same level. I just get this feeling I'm hurting my speaker, so I can't help but to turn it down. But I'll let you know if it happens two times in a row with the same scene. I do know that it only happens if I'm at -12 or louder. It never happens at like -16 or something. As for low quality disks, it happens with both Blu-ray rentals from Redbox and Blu-ray I buy from the store, like The Croods.

post #2525 of 2549 Old 01-30-2014, 08:39 PM

Is the impedance setting correct for your speakers and did you use the auto calibration to set up your system?

post #2526 of 2549 Old 01-31-2014, 03:14 PM

I used auto calibration, but it wants to make the surrounds large speakers, not small ones. When I do it by hand I always set it back to small ones. Not sure what it's set to now, I'm going to look at that again.

post #2527 of 2549 Old 02-01-2014, 05:09 PM

How do I check impedance settings?

post #2528 of 2549 Old 02-01-2014, 05:29 PM

Amp Menu: Settings...Speaker...Impedance...8 or 4

post #2529 of 2549 Old 02-03-2014, 04:12 AM

It was set to 8, which is correct for my speakers. But it was pushed back to large for surrounds even though I have bookshelf. Also I noticed after I changed it to small, there was a frequency setting for my surrounds that was set to well below what my speakers are able to handle. I moved that number up in the range they say in their specs. Not sure that will have a positive affect but trying it. I wonder why auto calibration keeps setting my surrounds to Large. They're Klipsch KB-15s, which are bookshelf speakers that don't have near the range my fronts do... I wouldn't label them as large. But I guess some people would. I'm no expert, to be sure.

I wonder kmnedd, do you keep your A.F.D. mode to Auto? Or do you switch it around depending on the movie? I started play with those settings and kept coming back to Neural THX, but that may be an incorrect setting for the movies I'm watching. What is your experience so far?

post #2530 of 2549 Old 02-03-2014, 05:58 AM

I always use A.F.D. When I watch a movie I like to focus on the content, not the underlying technology.
post #2531 of 2549 Old 02-03-2014, 06:01 AM

So you set it to Auto and let it do the work of figuring out the best play back. Ok cool. Think I'll do that that too.

post #2532 of 2549 Old 02-03-2014, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 53
If you have a decent sub, set center and surrounds to "Small" (and adjust the crossover frequency to 60~100Hz or whatever makes sense for your speakers). If you have "good" sub that can do bass better than your left/right mains, set Mains to Small as well. And if you don't have a sub, set the mains to Large and the center/surrounds to Small.

If you run auto-setup, you may need to go back and change speakers back to Small after. Large vs Small only refers to the ability of the speaker to reproduce bass down to 30Hz~.

AFD is good because it will use whatever audio comes through. But if you set it to something like DPLII Movie it should only do that surround processing if there is a stereo signal coming in -- basically it should leave the surround sound movies/shows alone.
post #2533 of 2549 Old 02-05-2014, 07:35 AM

OK I'm going to run it in A.F.D. Auto from now on, thanks guys.

I don't have the best sub in the world, it's my next upgrade probably. It's an old sub... My center and bookshelf speakers I've now got set to small. The left and rights are big, they go down close to my sub. 36hz, my sub only goes down to 30hz.

Ok I'll do some testing this week and see if that's what my problem was. I suspect it is actually.

post #2534 of 2549 Old 02-06-2014, 08:54 AM

Watched Rush, had it set pretty loud and nothing clipped. Hopefully the above mentioned settings will keep things in check. The sub is taking more of the center channel now though, so it makes me want to get a new sub. This one is a bit boomy for voices. I turned it down a bit from where the auto calibrate had it. I run auto, and then adjust the speakers size and crossover again after the auto cal. So I'm pretty happy. I tried watching in AFD Auto, with No Movie setting, and then did a Movie setting called Cinema B, I really liked that one.

post #2535 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 01:32 PM

OK well last night I got in the mail BLU-RAY DTS DEMO DISC 2014 VOL 18.
And no clipping until I got to Ice Age Continental Drift 7.1 demo. Then again it sounded like bullets flying in all directions. Affecting mostly my surrounds. I had it set to -14 while watching this. Also the highs were very bright for the songs. Granted I have Klipsch speakers which are characteristically bright speakers, but I'm used to using these speakers and they're not normally this bright.

I tried my system set to A.F.D Auto. And then I tried that same setting, except I added the Movie Cinema B setting as well. I think because my theater is unfinished, and there's a lot of concrete that's why things are so bright sounding. So that's not what's really bother me. Although the Cinema B sounds way better in my basement.

So the search for the source of the ricocheting bullets (loud snap sounds) is still underway. I feel like my PS3 may be the culprit. Because I can rewind the movie and play the same part over again and I won't get the loud snaps. Thinking about trying a different Blu-Ray player and see if I'm getting the same results.

Need to look back through this thread to see if there are firmware updates.

post #2536 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 PM

If you only experience clipping with the PS3, then yes, try another Blu ray player.

post #2537 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 02:47 PM

Liked: 11
How is your PS3 configured to output audio? Is it set to send the audio bitstream to the receiver, or is it converting to PCM in the PS3? Try swapping the setting and see if you still get the glitches. Try both ways with the 5300ES set to AFD Auto.

I had at least one BD movie where I had to change my PS3 Slim back from bitstream to PCM or I would get an audio glitch at certain points in the movie.
post #2538 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 05:45 PM

Interesting. I found a setting on my PS3 that said turn on all compatible options or something like that and it started getting a digital signal, before I found that setting I couldn't get audio at all. I was wondering if perhaps I have too many of these settings turned on. I'm not sure on the PCM vs. Bitstream front. Does anyone know what settings are best from PS3 to 5300ES?

post #2539 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnedd View Post

If you only experience clipping with the PS3, then yes, try another Blu ray player.

The only thing hooked to my 5300ES is my PS3 smile.gif So yes it's the only thing clipping. But it's the only thing period. LOL

post #2540 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 06:47 PM

Then the problem may not be your receiver.
post #2541 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmnedd View Post

Then the problem may not be your receiver.

No I'm hoping its user error smile.gif

I'll be testing a new blu ray and will be reading the full manual to both the 5300es and the PS3 this weekend. Thx the help guys.

post #2542 of 2549 Old 02-14-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post

How is your PS3 configured to output audio? Is it set to send the audio bitstream to the receiver, or is it converting to PCM in the PS3? Try swapping the setting and see if you still get the glitches. Try both ways with the 5300ES set to AFD Auto.

I had at least one BD movie where I had to change my PS3 Slim back from bitstream to PCM or I would get an audio glitch at certain points in the movie.

I'm going to document my settings this weekend and will let you know. I feel like a real avs forum member. And not just a lurker. Actually have questions and getting answers etc.

post #2543 of 2549 Old 02-15-2014, 07:30 AM

Hi all,

I've had the 5300 for years. It's always done what I've needed it to do, but I've never attempted to output audio simultaneously to my 5.1 system (for normal daytime use) and an optical output going to some headphones (for when the kids go to bed). Here is my set up:

HDMI1 Directv HR20
HDMI2 Sony Blu-ray
HDMI3 PS3
HDMI 4 PS4
HDMI 5 Xbox360
HDMI6 XboxOne
All of this is output to a Sony Bravia XBR9 via HDMI with audio output to a Definitive 5.1 system.
I also have a WiiU connected directly to the TV via HDMI, the TV then passes audio to the receiver's TV optical audio IN for audio output through the 5.1 system.

Currently, my PS3 and Xbox360 are also outputting audio via their optical outputs, which I have connected to a pair of wireless headphones. I have to switch the optical input on the headphones manually when I move back and forth from the PS3 to the Xbox360.

Since it is quite an undertaking to start running new cables, I'd like to know if another setup is possible before I venture out. Basically, I'd like to know if I have an HDMI input (any of the 4 gaming systems), will it output audio simultaneously to the 5.1 system and an optical output? If so, I could simply run one optical cable from the receiver to my headphones and save myself the hassle of switching. It would also allow me to get audio for my PS4 and XboxOne over the headphones. Could I simply connect the optical out to the MD/Dat optical out to achieve this?

I appreciate any advice you may be able to offer.

Thanks!
post #2544 of 2549 Old 06-01-2014, 11:11 AM

Been a few months since I posted my comment above. Just wanted to try again to see if anyone could offer advice. Thanks!
post #2545 of 2549 Old 06-01-2014, 07:19 PM

I don't think it will work. Page 30 of the manual says the following:

"An audio signal input to the HDMI IN jack is output from the speaker output jacks, HDMI OUT jack and the PRE OUT jacks. It is not output through any other audio jacks."

post #2546 of 2549 Old 06-02-2014, 08:57 PM

Well, darn. Thanks for the input! I'll have to find another way to accomplish this.
post #2547 of 2549 Old 06-02-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicatom5 View Post

Well, darn. Thanks for the input! I'll have to find another way to accomplish this.

Hi toxicatom5, you could run an optical cable from each console to Optical Selector Switch and then out to the headphone receiver. C2G (Cable 2 Go) offer a 6x2 Component Video/Toslink Selector Switch with remote, #40697. I'm using the 3x1 switch box (#28731) and has worked great for me, even have it programed into my Harmony remote.
toxicatom5 likes this.
post #2548 of 2549 Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi toxicatom5, you could run an optical cable from each console to Optical Selector Switch and then out to the headphone receiver. C2G (Cable 2 Go) offer a 6x2 Component Video/Toslink Selector Switch with remote, #40697. I'm using the 3x1 switch box (#28731) and has worked great for me, even have it programed into my Harmony remote.

This is perfect! Thanks for the suggestion. Not sure why this didn't come up in my own searches -- I hadn't found anything with more than 4 inputs. Thanks again!
post #2549 of 2549 Old 10-01-2014, 01:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Crackling sound then output loss

Hello all:

I bought a used Sony DA5300ES for $90. The deal sounds too good to be true? Well, it is.

When is working properly it sounds beautiful, its clearly superior to my entry level Onkyo receiver. But after sometime it makes a crackling sound and stops outputting any sound. At times the sound output would regain for a couple of seconds before it drops out all together. It does start working again after its powered down completely. This seems to occur regardless of the input source. When the sound goes out all the lights other indicators stay on, and are presumably functioning the way they should in the background. For instance, the signal decoder lights are on, the source indicators are on, etc. One time I listened to music for an hour or longer, but usually the sound goes out in less than 10 mins. I have never turned the volume too high: I listen at -27db. The receiver was ventilated properly, yet it did run a little hot; but I read that this model does run hot.

Oh yes, the receiver reeks of cigarette smoke so I was wondering if there was ash build up in the relays or other components...

What do think the problem could be? Would it be a relatively cheap fix?

Please help! thanks!
Madhu
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Da5300es Es 7 1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page