The Sony STR-DA5300ES thread - Page 86 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #2551 of 2558 Old 01-03-2015, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am just looking for some help to cure my decision agony.

I can buy a used STR-DA5300ES (green dot = latest firmware?) for 250 Euro / 300 USD or a new STR-DN1050 for 350 Euro / 420 USD.

It's amazing how much has happend in a few years, the STR-DN1050 has HDMI 2.0, 4K pass-through and scaling, WiFi, Apt-X bluetooth, Spotify Connect, DLNA, MHL, USB, smartphone app for control and streaming etc. It has got some great reviews and Sonys list price is 700 Euro.

So why am I even thinking about getting the STR-DA5300ES instead?

I tell myself that the 5300ES (being a ES-series receiver) has better amplifier components making stereo / surround sound better?
I don't need 4K, I plan on keeping my 1080p projector for a couple of years.
With a Chromecast I can get almost the same streaming features.

What would you do in my situation? Am I stupid thinking that I will get a "better built" receiver with the 5 years old STR-DA5300ES?

Thanks a lot for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 2558 Old 01-03-2015, 10:57 AM

Bateman84 all I can say is that I've had mine for about 7 years and it has done everything I've needed without issue. I've been really happy with it. Unless you're getting the latest tech (4k, etc,), it should treat you well!
post #2553 of 2558 Old 01-04-2015, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Barteman84,

I would not buy a STR-DA5300ES. It is old technology. Buy something that is up to date, rather than out of date.

BTW, I had nothing but trouble with mine, over and over and over, again. Everything went wrong, even simple relatively stuff like the headphone output amp dying. I think my current unit is the fifth unit SONY sent me.
post #2554 of 2558 Old 01-16-2015, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lag View Post
Barteman84,

I would not buy a STR-DA5300ES. It is old technology. Buy something that is up to date, rather than out of date.

BTW, I had nothing but trouble with mine, over and over and over, again. Everything went wrong, even simple relatively stuff like the headphone output amp dying. I think my current unit is the fifth unit SONY sent me.
I have had no issues with mine, 7+years? I think I have only tried the headphone out once though, probably when I got it 7 years ago to make sure it worked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony.png
Views:	43
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	482562  

Last edited by Bexar; 01-16-2015 at 03:18 PM. Reason: had my own question but answered it myself as soon as I hit reply.
post #2555 of 2558 Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwagg View Post
Quote:Originally Posted by rlschenk

I need help with the 12V trigger setting for the main.* I am trying to have the trigger power up my amp everytime I start up the receiver.* I have tried various settings; in the system settings for the multi zone I have the main turned on, input set to HDMI 6 (connected to SAT rcvr) and 12V trigger is set to input.* All of the main zone trigger inputs are selected.* When I initially power up my receiver it does not turn on the amp, however when I manually move to the settings and cycle the 12v trigger to off and back to input it fires up the amp.* Additionally, if I uncheck the HDMI 6 input it will cycle power on/off.* Has anyone experienced the 12 v trigger not working on the initial main zone power up?* Any help is greatly appreciated.

I too had the same problem. The fix I found was turning off the HDMI sync. Once I did that and selected all inputs for the trigger it worked with no problem no matter what input I selected with the remote.
Years later, but THANK YOU. Be trying to figure this out and your "fix" did the trick.
post #2556 of 2558 Old 04-03-2015, 05:46 AM

Cant believe this thread is alive, Cn you please tell me if I should update my current unit to a refurbished certified STR DA5800ES or if it is better to Wait?, sound of the STR DA5300ES is by Far the best I have heard, between Yamaha, Pioneer, Denon, The best by far is this, at least in my experience, only thing that my Main Unit is not doing, because it CANT is by Passing 4K, and I have a Deal on a 5800 at 1300U$D Shipped.
Thanks and hope somebody that have made the change would answer, I saw there is a new kid in town called The ZA3000ES...

Max.-
PS: 7years, I Can not believe it myself, I love Sony
post #2557 of 2558 Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm trying to solve noise with my 5300es. I used to have it on bitstream but was stuck with the dts bomb a few times so have now gone to pcm. Now pcm solved the bomb but now when I say turn the tv off while the movie is going the amp will refind the hdmi link for the audio and the blue light will blank out for a second then when it finds it again the amp will show Liner PCM _ _ hz and make a noise when it comes back to Liner PCM 48hz.

Is there a setting I need to change or is it just what the amp does?

Thanks
post #2558 of 2558 Old 06-12-2015, 12:11 PM

Anyone know if any other microphones will work as calibration mikes? I assume a standard (single channel) calibration mic from another receiver won't work. What about the ECM-AC3?

"When everyone's out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking"
-- Dr. Johnny Fever
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Sony Str Da5300es Es 7 1 Channel Surround Sound Audio Video Receiver
Gear in this thread