Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 12:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlstang95 View Post

I wasn't expecting the 4308 to be about an inch taller than the previous model. If I take the 4 legs of the bottom of the receiver it will fit in my tv stand. I may be able to use smaller legs on the bottom. Are there any vents on the bottom that require the receiver to be elevated. Has any body else run into this problem, anybody have a solution.

What are the receiver's dimensions? Crutchfield says 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-15/16"D. Is that right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 12:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I wasn't expecting the 4308 to be about an inch taller than the previous model. If I take the 4 legs of the bottom of the receiver it will fit in my tv stand. I may be able to use smaller legs on the bottom. Are there any vents on the bottom that require the receiver to be elevated. Has any body else run into this problem, anybody have a solution.

Don't take the bottom legs off no matter what!!! That space is critical for airflow. Unfortuantely, you'll have to find a different solution or you'll fry it.
post #273 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawndover View Post

What are the receiver's dimensions? Crutchfield says 17-1/8"W x 6-3/4"H x 16-15/16"D. Is that right?

I'll measure it for you when I get home from work, but I believe that it is taller than 6 3/4". I have an 8 1/2" space where the receiver is sitting, and I think that there is slightly less than 1" remaining above the top.
post #274 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
This has probably been discussed somewhat, but what are the main reasons people choose this over the 3808ci? I've been condering the 4308, but given it's $900 more retail than the 3808, I'm having second thoughts. I don't need the 2nd hdmi output. So the main diffs that would appeal to me are: HD radio, wifi, AL24+, streaming jpgs. Not sure if that makes it worth it. From what I read, HD radio may be a dead end? I have a wireless bridge, so wifi is not needed. Is AL24+ that much superior than AL24? And I can buy a media server if I want to access pics from my PC.

Anything I'm missing?

Also I'm kind of disappointed that if I do bi-amp on my main speakers in a 5.1 config, I have no option to hook up another pair of speakers as a zone 2/ 'B' speaker (unless I use the RCA output to another amp in the second room). Guess I could go without the bi-amp but thought this would be better setup for my B&W 703s?

Also if anyone can PM me for 3808 prices. I know what the 4308 goes for from J&R and others.

Phil Tomaskovic
post #275 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 01:05 PM

I am also reconsidering whether to still go with the 4308ci or just wait for the sony 5300es. The Sony got great reviews on the video which is a selling point for me. I also wanted the Denon because of HD radio but as I read this forum many people who have their receivers are having issues with that feature. If the Sony 5300es came with HD radio my decision would be much easier. Also the Sony is not as complex to setup like the Denon. Can someone to a comparison chart on the Sony 5300ES to the Denon 4308ci like the one comparing the Denon to the oknyo? I still can't make up my mind which receiver would be best. Any idea's?
post #276 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemiza View Post

I'm glad someone is talking about the SOUND of receivers again. Everyone knows that Denon has a reputation for superior sound. Not Onkyo...

I would agree, but it does seem the new breed of Onkyos is changing this perception judging from new Onkyo owners who have had some of the names we more typically associate with great sound.
post #277 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 01:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr1 View Post

ok i know i have been going back and forth between denon and onkyo but now im just gonna stick with a brand known for better sound quality (and those onkyo owners getting popping from speakers sure did help to sway me). so here is my new question,

I was under the impression that almost all of the speaker popping was related to the PS3 and it was the PS3 that was at fault. Is that not the case?
post #278 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 01:31 PM

its best to listen to avr's when making a decision. I owned the Sony(DA4ES) and last years 4306. Both avr's were excellent audio wise with denon obviously winning in the video side because of my Sony was 5 or 6 years old and didn't have hmi however audio wise was pretty even.
post #279 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 01:39 PM

The dimensions on Crutchfield are wrong. On Denon's site they have the correct dimensions in pdf form.
What if I use feet on the bottom of the receiver that are a little shorter than the ones that are on there so I can make it fit in the stand and it will still have air flow underneath.
post #280 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 02:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzxx7 View Post

its best to listen to avr's when making a decision. I owned the Sony(DA4ES) and last years 4306. Both avr's were excellent audio wise with denon obviously winning in the video side because of my Sony was 5 or 6 years old and didn't have hmi however audio wise was pretty even.

Yup, I agree. I think we need to throw out any generalizations or pre-conceived notions we used to have about certain brands. Theoretically, give the state of the art of amplifier design, most of these receivers should sound pretty much the same.
post #281 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 02:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

The dimensions on Crutchfield are wrong. On Denon's site they have the correct dimensions in pdf form.
What if I use feet on the bottom of the receiver that are a little shorter than the ones that are on there so I can make it fit in the stand and it will still have air flow underneath.

Would you still have airflow above the top of the receiver, and is your rack enclosed? I have the normal feet, 1" of airflow above the top, and an open rack and the receiver gets fairly warm after a long (loud) movie.
post #282 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM136 View Post

I also wanted the Denon because of HD radio but as I read this forum many people who have their receivers are having issues with that feature.

I was one of those having difficulty getting HD Radio to work at all. I do now have it working but, your location will determine what is available. Even if you are in a location that has stations available, you might need a better antenna to pick up every station. There are probably 30 stations in my area, and I can pickup maybe 5 or so with the little dipole antenna that was included with the 4308. I'm certain that I will have better success when I connect a better antenna. On the plus side, the HD Radio stations sound really good.
post #283 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 03:21 PM

My stand has a support brace that limits the height but besides the brace there would be about an inch and a half on the top for the unit to breath. I think the unit would fit with slightly shorter feet, maybe about half as tall as the ones that are on there. I think that would still allow for air to flow underneath.
post #284 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My stand has a support brace that limits the height but besides the brace there would be about an inch and a half on the top for the unit to breath. I think the unit would fit with slightly shorter feet, maybe about half as tall as the ones that are on there. I think that would still allow for air to flow underneath.

You'd be doing the same thing as putting it on a carpet which is a no-no; read your manual. I think they exaggerate a bit to be on the safe side, but the bottom clearance is a significant part of the cooling design let's call it the " cold air supply" you don't want to mess with that. You should try to modify your rack (Screws and shelf brackets etc.) keep the feet on and try for at least 2" of top clearance.
post #285 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 04:27 PM

But they do sound different as recently as last year. Havnt had a chance to a/b the new ones since they are well new. Yamaha denon pioneer elite onkyo hk and sony all have different sounds to them. State of the art doesnt mean they are using the same components which means different sound. (just because its priced in a certain range doesnt mean its worth it either.. older sony non-discrete digital amps priced in same bracket as the other brands). So different components on inside mean different sound to you.
post #286 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 04:58 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Someone then needs to explain to me how these amplifiers can allegedly sound so different when they are essentially all flat from 20-20K hz regardless of brand. This defies logic to me, but maybe I'm missing something.
post #287 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 05:13 PM

the same way you can have 2 different speakers that are the same range and flat and sound different.

timbre
post #288 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 05:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

But I know of no speakers that are truly flat from 20-20k. However there are many good receivers whose amplifiers are flat within that range. Speakers can deviate 1db, 2db or more at differernt points of the audio spectrum, but amps, even if they're not entirely flat, have far far less deviations than speakers.

So yes, I agree that speakers can and do sound far different from one model to the next, but I still can't see how receivers can sound so radically different. I'm certainly not saying they do, but there are some on AVS that claim this is the case. It just makes no sense to me from looking at the specs.
post #289 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 05:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Owners!!
Do we have any problems, issues yet for the new Denon 4308CI?
post #290 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 05:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross View Post

I was under the impression that almost all of the speaker popping was related to the PS3 and it was the PS3 that was at fault. Is that not the case?

there have also been reports of the popping happening with an HDDVD player not sure which one.

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #291 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Ross

there have also been reports of the popping happening with an HDDVD player not sure which one.

--------------------------------------

Please........ we are talking here about the Onkyo AVRs.....correct!
Ok, back on topic now.........
post #292 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

i have real issues getting an Onkyo because I've read so many times at the klipsch forum that Onkyo doesn't mate well with klipsch. they say the Onkyo are bright therefore aren't recommended with horn loaded speakers such as klipsch.

Denon is highly recommended. and i have to agree that my avr683 though very old and only pushing about 75wpc does sound good with my Klipsch's.
i really would like to have the reon video processing as well as the toroidal transformers in the Onkyo 905...but not at the expense of overly brightness.
i want to think that Onkyo did something different with these models. every Onkyo owner that i have questioned about sound characteristics always says
there's no truth in any amp having sound characteristics with todays electronics.
they all say how great the new ones sound compared to what they used to have but wont say why they think that.

seems like most of the Denon users agree that Denon has a warm sound and that Onkyo is bright. at least that is what they say about previous models.
they say that Denon seems to push the midrange giving it a warm sound and Onkyo pushes highs making it bright.

its really not an option for me to buy one and exchange it if i don't like it.
and I'd really like to get something newer before October when i get my set ISF'd. the guy is supposed to do awesome work on both video and audio.

I'm so torn....i don't know what to do. so frustrating
guess I'll wait for some pro reviews

Let the awe and mystery of a journey unlike any other begin
SharpLC70LE735U,SonyKDSR60XBR2,KlipschSynergyIII,PanasonicDMPDT210,Oppo981,DenonAVR683,Harmony880,MDN v3.2.0-5

post #293 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRDude View Post

I'm not certain of the connectivity of the devices that you want to connect to the 4308 but keep in mind, there is Component in to HDMI out, but no HDMI in to Component out. So if your device can simultaneously produce Video on Component and Video/Audio on HDMI, you should be able to use the HDMI source for audio only. Don't know if there will be any delay related issues though. Also, as I posted for another AVS member, if your HD/Blu-Ray Player will not pass the native audio bitstream, you will not be able to use the 4308's internal decoders. My player insists on doing the decoding internally and passing the decoded multi-channel audio output through the HDMI to the receiver.

Thanks this is what I was thinking when the new BR and HDDVD come out. I wanted to use the 4308 for switching.
Allen
post #294 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Owners!!
Do we have any problems, issues yet for the new Denon 4308CI?

So far, I am very pleased with the receiver and cannot report any real issues or problems. I cannot test everything with my equipment, but thus far I have completely setup and used the following:

- Networking: Wired and Wireless
- Control of the 4308 via the built-in Web Server
- Audyssey 8-position
- Composite, Component, S-Video, HDMI Video In to HDMI Out
- Analog, Coax, Optical, HDMI Audio In to HDMI Out
- Upconversion/Upscaling of SD and HD
- DD, DTS, PLII and a few of the other non-HD Surround modes
- Streaming Audio: WMA, AAC, MP3, FLAC (non-DRM)
- Picture Serving: JPEG
- Audio and Picture serving through TwonkyVision on a NAS Server
- Restorer for compressed Audio
- HD Radio
- Internet Radio
- iPOD connection Audio and Video (not Denon's)
- USB Stick with Music and Picture files

Can't test 1080i deinterlace
Can't test TrueHD, DTS-HD, etc HD Audio decoding
Can't test XM Radio
Haven't tested Multi Zone
Won't likely test Bi-Amp/Bi-Wire

As some have mentioned, the SD<->HD channel switching of a source connected through HDMI adds some delay, there are a few little UI quirks, and the Remote took a bit of getting used to for me (lots of sarcasm with that statement). That said, its a keeper for me. More importantly, video and audio performance is great which was the most important thing for me.
post #295 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf123 View Post

Hi guys!
I have one question: is there any poping-sound or a unwanted sound-signal if you use a PS3 with a HDMI-connection at the 4308 like the ps3-onkyo-poping-sound?
A short yes or no will be fantastic! Thanks for your answers and greetings from germany!

NO! Not on my 4308 & ps3 combo, no poping.
post #296 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 PM

It would be sooo nice if we had some scores from the HD HQV test disks. Does anyone have the capability of a monitor that accepts 1080p and the HD-DVD or BR disks?
post #297 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 10:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber View Post

It would be sooo nice if we had some scores from the HD HQV test disks. Does anyone have the capability of a monitor that accepts 1080p and the HD-DVD or BR disks?

I have all three HQV and a 1080p SXRD. Problem is that my 4308 doesn't get delivered until Wednesday. I will probably take that Friday off so if someone else hasn't posted all of the scores by then I will.
post #298 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

I have all three HQV and a 1080p SXRD. Problem is that my 4308 doesn't get delivered until Wednesday. I will probably take that Friday off so if someone else hasn't posted all of the scores by then I will.

great i cant wait for the reviews to hit the net. im getting this receiver and a yamaha 3800 so the more i know now the quicker i might get it.

Pioneer 5010FD, Sony 60A3000, Panny 42PZ85U, Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon 4308, B&W 600's, HSU VTF-3 MK3, Def. Tech. bp7004, 2002, 1.2x, 2x, TivoHD, Samsung 1200, harmony 1000, ps3, xbox360, Sony BDP S350
post #299 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Phil Tomaskovic]This has probably been discussed somewhat, but what are the main reasons people choose this over the 3808ci? I've been condering the 4308, but given it's $900 more retail than the 3808, I'm having second thoughts. I don't need the 2nd hdmi output. So the main diffs that would appeal to me are: HD radio, wifi, AL24+, streaming jpgs. Not sure if that makes it worth it. From what I read, HD radio may be a dead end? I have a wireless bridge, so wifi is not needed. Is AL24+ that much superior than AL24? And I can buy a media server if I want to access pics from my PC.

Anything I'm missing?

QUOTE]

Well one thing is that the 4308ci, is Audyssey "Pro" capable.

Denon must have changed the website lately because that info wasn't on there last time I checked but it was there today. That's a big plus for this unit IMO.
post #300 of 5093 Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

The biggest concern is what it can do video-wise. From the various parts of the manual, I see these limitations (i'm not worrying about s-video or lower signals):
- HDMI signal can not be converted to analog signals

Due to HDCP, you will not find any AVR that will convert HDMI video to analog video. And that means no HDMI video conversion to component video, or any other analog video type.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page