The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
For all Audyssey questions, I would recommend downloading the Denon Audyssey FAQ from the Denon website. It is located on either the 4308 or 3808 reciever page, under Downloads & Manuals.

Two questions I've seen so far specifically:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denon Audyssey FAQ View Post

6. My speakers are wired correctly, why does MultEQxt give a Phase error?
MultEQxt detects absolute phase for each loudspeaker. Some loudspeakers are designed with intentional phase reversals in the drivers in order to address crossover problems. MultEQxt will detect that and report an error. The best course of action is to simply check the wiring and press Skip if it is correct. MultEQxt simply reports a possible wiring reversal, it does not automatically switch the phase.

7. My subwoofer is physically closer than the distance reported by MultEQxt. Why?
Many powered subwoofers do not provide the capability to defeat the built-in low-pass filter. These filters, by their nature, introduce additional delay in the signal and MultEQxt finds that and reports it. The optimum solution is to turn the filters off (often called LFE mode in subwoofers). If that is not possible, set the low pass frequency to the highest possible setting and leave the distance reported as it. MultEQxt will compensate for the added delay and time align the subwoofer to the satellite channels so that the optimum blend is achieved.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulf123 View Post

Thanks for your answer and have a lot of fun with your new toy!

@ DenonLover:
Whats your experience with the PS3 and the 4308 if you are watching Blurays or playing games. Do you have any poping sounds???

I have not heard any poping sound on blu-ray disks or games? I have the sound dialed in now and this receiver sounds great with the PS3.
post #363 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

He is correct. It will not play the DVD-A track but, it will play the DTS track that is on most (all) DVD-A. The DTS track is no where near the quality of the DVD-A track.

My whole collection of music is on DVD-A and I have been listening to the disks non stop since I bought the PS3 friday. I have it set to bitstream and it sounds great.
post #364 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I have the 4308 connected to 2 displays and have had no HDCP issues. I have a 94HD and it works perfectly, including 24p, though the 4308.

Seconded. I have the 4308 switching four HDMI sources, PS3, HD-XA2, HD satellite, and upconverting DVD. I have played just about every combination of media types I have, including PAL DVD upconverted and 24p, without any handshake or sync issues at all.
post #365 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Hi Guys

I have not read any of this thread as of yet and Im jumping right in with my comments after spending a few days with the 4308. I bought this for the HDMI 1.3 inputs.

So far the hand shaking has been a night mare. My source are as follows, digital cable, HTPC server HD content, BD,HD DVD.
I find I have to try different order of plug in to get the receiver to see everything. Then at time if I switch from one source to another and go back it no longer sees the last source. What a nightmare. It refuses to see my Pioneer elite BD player. All this is hooked to my Sim FP. Once the hand shaking breaks down if I switch my projector ( HDCP capadible ) to a different input not being used the audio locks on and if I switch back to the input used all is well again. I have to use different tricks to get different source to lock on again. I was previously using my Panasonic SA XR700 with two HDMI inputs and did not experience any issues. I bought into the Denon for the additional HDMI inputs and I was intrigued about the 1.3.
Am I the only one with the hand shaking issues. Will there be a down load to fix this. I will spend some time tonight and read through this thread.
Thanks for your help.

Update your firmware and reboot the 4308. It fixed all of my issues.
post #366 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
The firmware update is done over the network. Assuming that you have your network connection setup, you go into Manual Setup -> Option -> Firmware Update

I checked and the unit I have, one of the first shipped, has the latest firmware. I do know that one thing that made the 4308 a few weeks later than planned was a firmware update, but all shipping units were supposed to have been updated. No newer firmware has been released. I suppose it is possible that a unit or two may have gotten shipped without the latest firmware. Unlikely, but possible.
post #367 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman427 View Post

Has anyone successfully setup audio streaming to an Apple Mac? Someone asked this question earlier, but I did not see a response. I have tried updating all of the File Sharing preferences and nothing seems to work. I'm assuming that if everything was setup correctly that my computer name would show up in the list when I select the NET/USB source item, along with Internet Radio (which works fine).

I spent hours trying to get this to work and I had to go to Best Buy yesterday and but a Linksys router and now it works great. I even tried it directly from the Airport Extreme and it would not work?
post #368 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 01:26 PM
Advanced Member

and for thsoe looking for the all in one package motorola made a all in one wireless cable G-router/modem. it can be found at best buy for $129. it a great deal for those who dont need N routers and are sick of having a router and modem taking up space.

i on the other hand need a G router so im stuck with not 1 but 2 routers because i have vonage.

Pioneer 5010FD, Sony 60A3000, Panny 42PZ85U, Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon 4308, B&W 600's, HSU VTF-3 MK3, Def. Tech. bp7004, 2002, 1.2x, 2x, TivoHD, Samsung 1200, harmony 1000, ps3, xbox360, Sony BDP S350
post #369 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

I spent hours trying to get this to work and I had to go to Best Buy yesterday and but a Linksys router and now it works great. I even tried it directly from the Airport Extreme and it would not work?

You can piggy back the routers as long as they are not configured as the same subnet. This way the MAC stuff can be on 1 router and the denon on the other router.
post #370 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Handshake issues? Ethernet problems?

Sounds like 2005 all over again. I come back 1x per week hoping to find something in these Denon threads to convince me to buy....I'll stop back.

Has anyone HQV'd these receivers yet?

how long does audioholic's usually take to do reviews?

Its not just a hobby, its a 401K reduction plan.
post #371 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcdayton View Post

Handshake issues? Ethernet problems?

Sounds like 2005 all over again. I come back 1x per week hoping to find something in these Denon threads to convince me to buy....I'll stop back.

Has anyone HQV'd these receivers yet?

how long does audioholic's usually take to do reviews?

No

No

Yes

When you see them.

Are you reading all the posts and the other new Denon receiver threads? Answers are there.
post #372 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 04:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
A few issues spotted with the 3808. Are these in the 4308?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11223603
post #373 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 04:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

A few issues spotted with the 3808. Are these in the 4308?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11223603

Just tried it.

1. ) mute with menu on bug
Yes

2.) network info display wrong bug
No

3.) grey screen in net/usb bug
No
post #374 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 04:44 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
[quote=DenonLover]Update your firmware and reboot the 4308. It fixed all of my issues.[/QUOTE

Thank you I will do this !!

I have to buy a wireless router this week to get this done. I have no internet access
in my theater room. Is there any other way to perform this up date besides via internet. Will it take a usb up date?

Thank again.
post #375 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRDude View Post

Just tried it.

1. ) mute with menu on bug
Yes

2.) network info display wrong bug
No

3.) grey screen in net/usb bug
No

Just to clarify:

The network info display bug:
The display on the denon is messed up, mine says
IP on
mac address 192.168.15.106
dhcp 0005dcxxxxxx

It should say

IP 192.168.15.106
mac address 0005dcxxxxxx
dhcp on

The issue here is that these are switched around. IP is not "on" IP is "192.168.15.106". DHCP is not "0005dcxxxxxx" DHCP is "on" MAC address is not "192.168.15.106" MAC address is "0005dcxxxxx"

The grey screen bug is not consistant, it only occurred once so far. Just because you don't see it now, that doesn't mean it won't ever happen. Spend some time changing stations on internet radio, try it 30 or 40 times. It may or may not show up at any one particular time. It happened to me when I pushed the left arrow key to back up to previous menu level, to change the station.

Also more detail on the mute menu bug, several things on the front panel change when this happens. HDMI at top center, speakers used listed on left side (not sure of difference from speakers used listed on right side), surround mode indicators all go off during this blank screen time.
post #376 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc View Post

No

No

Yes

When you see them.

Are you reading all the posts and the other new Denon receiver threads? Answers are there.

Um, Hugh. Yes, someone reported Handshake issues. Yes multiple are reporting problems with Ethernet connectivity (evidently problem with Apple routers so far). "When I see them"...gee thanks.

As far as reading all the posts and other new Denon receiver threads, yes I have been keeping up and I just did a second search, I still don't see a HQV test from anyone (searching on HQV...so if you you see one I missed let me know).

Thanks to all who keep providing useful information, good luck.

post #377 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:

As far as reading all the posts and other new Denon receiver threads, yes I have been keeping up and I just did a second search, I still don't see a HQV test from anyone (searching on HQV...so if you you see one I missed let me know).

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11215862

I ran the HQV on my HD-A2 and 3808 - scaling deinterlacing good, 3:2 pulldown bad. Somebody with a better player needs to run them, I'm not sure how much is the HD-A2 and how much is the Faroudja.
post #378 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

My whole collection of music is on DVD-A and I have been listening to the disks non stop since I bought the PS3 friday. I have it set to bitstream and it sounds great.

I never said it wouldn't sound great Before buying my Denon 2930ci I played my DVD-A through the PS3 also. I was just pointing out that what you are listening to is the DTS track and not true DVD-A track.

Once I get my 4308ci setup next week I will try my best to see if I can tell the difference between the DVD-A track via my Denon 2930ci and the DTS track via the PS3.
post #379 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 05:39 PM
AVS Special Member

DuallyDave,

Thanks, that's about what I'd have expected. I'm trying to convince myself that I'll be using pass through video for everything anyway, so just buy 4308 for connectivity and sound.

post #380 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 06:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

I never said it wouldn't sound great Before buying my Denon 2930ci I played my DVD-A through the PS3 also. I was just pointing out that what you are listening to is the DTS track and not true DVD-A track.

Once I get my 4308ci setup next week I will try my best to see if I can tell the difference between the DVD-A track via my Denon 2930ci and the DTS track via the PS3.

I see what you were saying now. I prefer the sound of my DVD-2900 to the PS3 but they are very close.
post #381 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 06:32 PM

Quote:

I have a Linksys wireless router. My Mac is connected to the Network via WiFi and I have the 4308 hardwired to the router. My issue is that I can't seem to get the Mac to show up on the Denon's list of available sources. The Denon's connection to the Network seems to be working fine. I was able to connect to it through my Safari browser, for example. Any suggestions on setting up the Mac so that it is visible to the receiver?
post #382 of 5093 Old 08-05-2007, 09:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxman427 View Post

I have a Linksys wireless router. My Mac is connected to the Network via WiFi and I have the 4308 hardwired to the router. My issue is that I can't seem to get the Mac to show up on the Denon's list of available sources. The Denon's connection to the Network seems to be working fine. I was able to connect to it through my Safari browser, for example. Any suggestions on setting up the Mac so that it is visible to the receiver?

Did you change the name of the SSID? I think it defaults to linksys.
post #383 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 12:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Um, Hugh. Yes, someone reported Handshake issues. Yes multiple are reporting problems with Ethernet connectivity (evidently problem with Apple routers so far). "When I see them"...gee thanks.

Generalizations are made too easily.

Apple routers, the one in particular that Denon lover owns seems to have issues is how I look at it, not the 4308 or let's say the 4308 and Apple router are having problems with each other. Then he got a linksys like I and many, if not a large majority have, and it works fine. IMO, it is like looking at a glass half full or half empty. The Apple router seems to be the issue, more so than the Denon.

Handshake issues, that some have reported, are still too soon to say exactly what they are and if they are the Denon. I know, I know. Handshake issues are about compatibility, but it doesn't always mean that the Denon is the culprit just because they don't get along.

We need a problem and issues thread started and maybe that will eliminate fact from fiction and turn generalizations into specifics to help others.
post #384 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

By the way I got mine tonight and am going to start working on setting it up now.

I have the same issue as another poster in terms of clearance. I have a tv stand, custom built, that has only 8 inches of clearance and the Denon is 7 3/4 inches in height. It is open front and back, but I still don't think there will be enough room on top for it to breathe properly. I am doing a major upgrade this year for my HT so my components and a rack may go in back of me which makes me wish everything was RF remotes, but then I would have conflict issues with all the other wireless RF devices, like Blue tooth on the PS3, router, etc.

A rant:

I got the 4308 at Magnolia A/V and not a BB Magnolia. My experience so far is that I don't care much for Mag A/V, as they are a bit snooty. They wouldn't do much on the price and don't take the 10% coupons like BB Mag does when they don't have product in stock. They claim to give better service, blah blah blah.

I live an hour away. Most likely I will never see them again. I called on the phone, paid over the phone and the only thing I had to do or the salesmen was walk in and he took it to my car. All of about 5 minutes, no more. They weren't friendly. They didn't offer any advice to suggestions or anything for that matter. BB Mag would have done as much if not more and given me the 10% off. Mag A/V won't even match a price with a store that is owned by the same parent company and is virtually the same chain now.

My take, whether I have money or not is I am looking to get the best price I can and the salesman is looking to get the most profit he can. I am not going to marry him and don't give a rat's ass about him as he doesn't know or care about me, truly.

I just thought it was cheesy not to give me the 10% that I could have got at Mag BB and his and Magnolia A/V's better than attitude needs some changing.

Anyway, off to have fun.
post #385 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 04:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

I have the same issue as another poster in terms of clearance. I have a tv stand, custom built, that has only 8 inches of clearance and the Denon is 7 3/4 inches in height. It is open front and back, but I still don't think there will be enough room on top for it to breathe properly.

I also have only 8" clearence in my Sanus TV stand, that I purchased less than a year ago, and this is my concern as well. I'm nor sure which AVR I will purchase yet. I was even considering perhaps one of the two monster RX-Z11 or 5308 AVRs, which means I bought the wrong TV stand. Either I was thinking too small or they're making these things too damn big.
post #386 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

By the way I got mine tonight and am going to start working on setting it up now.

I have the same issue as another poster in terms of clearance. I have a tv stand, custom built, that has only 8 inches of clearance and the Denon is 7 3/4 inches in height. It is open front and back, but I still don't think there will be enough room on top for it to breathe properly. I am doing a major upgrade this year for my HT so my components and a rack may go in back of me which makes me wish everything was RF remotes, but then I would have conflict issues with all the other wireless RF devices, like Blue tooth on the PS3, router, etc.

A rant:

I got the 4308 at Magnolia A/V and not a BB Magnolia. My experience so far is that I don't care much for Mag A/V, as they are a bit snooty. They wouldn't do much on the price and don't take the 10% coupons like BB Mag does when they don't have product in stock. They claim to give better service, blah blah blah.

I live an hour away. Most likely I will never see them again. I called on the phone, paid over the phone and the only thing I had to do or the salesmen was walk in and he took it to my car. All of about 5 minutes, no more. They weren't friendly. They didn't offer any advice to suggestions or anything for that matter. BB Mag would have done as much if not more and given me the 10% off. Mag A/V won't even match a price with a store that is owned by the same parent company and is virtually the same chain now.

My take, whether I have money or not is I am looking to get the best price I can and the salesman is looking to get the most profit he can. I am not going to marry him and don't give a rat's ass about him as he doesn't know or care about me, truly.

I just thought it was cheesy not to give me the 10% that I could have got at Mag BB and his and Magnolia A/V's better than attitude needs some changing.

Anyway, off to have fun.

My BB Magnolia store doesn't take any coupons, and they don't discount the Magnolia-line products at all (higher end Denons, Def Tech speakers, etc.). Any advice on how to get a better deal? I'd really like to buy at BB if possible.
post #387 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 04:56 AM

You should be able to get them to price match stores in the area. Last year when I got my 4306 I was able to get them to pricematch Tweeter there was a like a 300$ price difference. The manager did call Tweeter and confirm that the 4306 was in stock at the price I had told them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

My BB Magnolia store doesn't take any coupons, and they don't discount the Magnolia-line products at all (higher end Denons, Def Tech speakers, etc.). Any advice on how to get a better deal? I'd really like to buy at BB if possible.

post #388 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 05:17 AM

I'm interested in picking up the 4308 towards the end of the month but I've been "trying" to keep up with this thread as much as possible before pulling the trigger so if I ask a question thats already been covered please excuse my stupidity. One of the questions I have is with the on screen display. I know alot of the older receivers with not pass the OSD threw component, only s-video or composite, does the 4308 pass the OSD via HDMI and Component. I really like the idea of when watching a movie being able to see the volume on-screen beings I sit so far from the components. Thanks.
post #389 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGrim View Post

I'm interested in picking up the 4308 towards the end of the month but I've been "trying" to keep up with this thread as much as possible before pulling the trigger so if I ask a question thats already been covered please excuse my stupidity. One of the questions I have is with the on screen display. I know alot of the older receivers with not pass the OSD threw component, only s-video or composite, does the 4308 pass the OSD via HDMI and Component. I really like the idea of when watching a movie being able to see the volume on-screen beings I sit so far from the components. Thanks.

Not certain about Component, but the OSD is definitely passed through HDMI. Adjusting the volume brings up a display at the bottom of the screen.
post #390 of 5093 Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 AM
Advanced Member

So, is there any reason why I should not pick up the 4308 that is on hold for me? Has anyone experienced a problem that puts up a red flag???? I still don't see any reviews on these units yet... How long is that going to take?!?!!?!?!?!?

-------------------------------
My Setup Slideshow
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page