Forum Jump: 

post #4651 of 5098 Old 08-13-2010, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 12
http://www.cepro.com/article/print/u...am_3d_formats/
^DirectTV 3-D/cable will be (for the time being) using side by side interlaced, which will yield and final effective resolution of:

this results in the native resolution of each eye being 960 pixels wide by 540 pixels high, per field

so again that's basically SD

to the edge of eternity and depth of infinity, stupidity knows no bound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4652 of 5098 Old 08-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
From that same article:

When the pairs of odd and even fields are considered in unison, the effective resolution of each of the left and right eye perspectives becomes 960 pixels wide by 1080 pixels tall.

You're not looking at only one field at a time, you are looking at both fields - one in each eye. The net result is 1080i.
post #4653 of 5098 Old 08-17-2010, 11:10 AM

Well i have ask the same question 2 times now and still not 1 answer
I guess no one with this receiver watches bluray movies?

Let me try 1 more time.... does anyone get 7.1 output with this Denon when watching a bluray with DTS Master 5.1 audio track?

I have no problem getting 7.1 output with a normal dts track, dolby digital track, pcm track or even Dolby True HD track but for some reason i only get 5.1 output with dts hd master tracks.

*note: i do get 7.1 output when the bluray has a dts hd master 7.1 track but 99% of blurays have dts hd master 5.1. (Final Countdown is the only bluray i own that has dts hd master 7.1 track)

I hate the idea of watching my blurays with dts hd master tracks and not using my 2 rear speakers

anyone???????????????????
post #4654 of 5098 Old 08-18-2010, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

goldwing, yes, go into the audio menu while you are watching and enable the 'SB' surround backs.

i personally find it annoying that the AVR can't detect between 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and set it according to whatever flags work. the 4308ci can only detect the DD-EX and DTS-ES varieties, but not the lossless varieties.

post #4655 of 5098 Old 08-18-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JediFonger View Post

goldwing, yes, go into the audio menu while you are watching and enable the 'SB' surround backs.

i personally find it annoying that the AVR can't detect between 5.1, 6.1, 7.1 and set it according to whatever flags work. the 4308ci can only detect the DD-EX and DTS-ES varieties, but not the lossless varieties.

Thank you so much for the reply. I have checked my settings 100 times over these last few months but never once did i check it while playing a DTS HD Master track. That was the secret . I just assumed if you turned the rear speakers on in menu they would stay on for all formats. WRONG!!!! Working perfectly now.
post #4656 of 5098 Old 08-18-2010, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 698
I find that my surround back speakers are totally underutilized, and want to experiment with assigning these amp channels to bi-amp my main speakers. Is anyone running bi-amplification, or has anyone tested it out? Any feedback with regards to difference in the front speaker sound?
post #4657 of 5098 Old 08-30-2010, 02:32 PM

This thread stated more than 3 years ago!

I was planning a system wide upgrade

I just upgraded my speakers and am reliving my joy of when I first bought the 4308ci several years ago.

I am a hardware junkie but being 70 I may have to accept the fact that is may be the last AVR I ever (have to) buy. I have no idea what replacing this unit would accomplish.

One of the smartest puchases I ever made.

Many thanks to those who have shared their knowledge here.

Bud
post #4658 of 5098 Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I have the 4308ci, latest firmware and am trying to connect via ethernet to my network. I have the Apple Airport Extreme as a router that connects into my t-1 modem, and cannot for the life of me get it to recognize my Denon. I have checked the ethernet cable and it passed on both of my testers.

The wireless function on the Denon works flawlessly with the wpa security. So, is it the 4308ci or is it a simple setting in my Airport?

And yes, I have scoured the site using the search function and have come up empty handed. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
post #4659 of 5098 Old 08-31-2010, 12:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone help on the above ^^^^ ?
post #4660 of 5098 Old 08-31-2010, 12:56 PM

Use the thread search function in this and the 3808 forums. I do remember people having problems with the Airport Express, and seem to remember that someone found a solution.

Cheers,

jr

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #4661 of 5098 Old 08-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

i don't have an apple router, but D-Link and use WPA2 no prob

post #4662 of 5098 Old 08-31-2010, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
UGH. It's been a while since I've been here, and that, for me, means that things have been going well. Until tonight.

My wife pointed out that the volume bar no longer displays on my sammy DLP. Upon further tinkering, I can't get the GUI to display either. I'm hoping that this is a simple tweak--likely my wife pressed something to change settings.

Anybody have any help for me. BTW--I miss the site!
post #4663 of 5098 Old 08-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone know of a good service center in SoCal or have a 4308 that kept going thru HDMI boards because of some other board?

It seems like I know more about this model than the these so called official service centers. My 4308 has been done for,,,,um it's been so long now I can't remember. It's been sitting at the last service center for a few months because they don't know how to listen to instructions on what I'd like them to do, all they have done is call into Denon and get told it sounds like it's the HDMI board just like the last place did and replacing it fix just long enough for a firmware update and to almost to my inputs.

post #4664 of 5098 Old 09-01-2010, 10:29 PM
Advanced Member

docj, volume bar doesn't display for ALL video modes. if you are passing somn like 1080i or 720p or somn else weird or strange (like a PC resolution) then you won't get overlay. just my 2cents. check to see if it's one of those regular 1080p or somn.

post #4665 of 5098 Old 09-02-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 488 Post(s)
Liked: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post

UGH. It's been a while since I've been here, and that, for me, means that things have been going well. Until tonight.

My wife pointed out that the volume bar no longer displays on my sammy DLP. Upon further tinkering, I can't get the GUI to display either. I'm hoping that this is a simple tweak--likely my wife pressed something to change settings.

Just to be safe, I would access the menu, navigate to Option Setup/GUI/Master Volume. The three choices are Bottom, Top, and Off. Make sure it isn't set to Off.
post #4666 of 5098 Old 09-02-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Faber View Post

Use the thread search function in this and the 3808 forums. I do remember people having problems with the Airport Express, and seem to remember that someone found a solution.

Cheers,

jr

I did, my searches led me to WIFI issues, which I do not have. WIFI works fine, long story, but I need to get the ethernet side working which used to until a few weeks ago. I switched internet providers not long ago and cannot get on my network via ethernet connection. Any help would be appreciated!
post #4667 of 5098 Old 09-02-2010, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

I did, my searches led me to WIFI issues, which I do not have. WIFI works fine, long story, but I need to get the ethernet side working which used to until a few weeks ago. I switched internet providers not long ago and cannot get on my network via ethernet connection. Any help would be appreciated!

Bearing in mind that I know nothing about an Air Express router, if WiFi works and the direct connection does not, it does suggest a problem with a setting in the router or a cable/port/connector problem. Just to be sure, and please, no insult intended, are you certain that the Ethernet cable is connected to the ethernet port and not to the Denon Link port. As simple as this might seem, this has happened to a few people. Gook Luck.

don...

Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: 1. Infatuation. 2. Justification. 3. Appropriation. 4. Obsession. 5. Resell
post #4668 of 5098 Old 09-03-2010, 03:07 AM

Looking at the rear of the unit, the RJ45 Ethernet jack is to the immediate left of the wireless antenna connector. There is a green LED on the lower left hand side of the RJ45 Ethernet jack and a yellow LED on the lower right.

If the green LED is not on (ie: the ethernet link layer is not up), your wired ethernet is not functioning. If it is on and you can't connect, you might want to turn DHCP off and manually enter an IP address on the 4308.

The yellow LED indicates data is traversing the network and it should not be flashing if the green LED is off.

Sorry, I can't help with the Airport Express.

Cheers,

jr

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #4669 of 5098 Old 09-11-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post

I experienced this exact same issue myself two days ago- I turned off my 4308 with the master power button and then powered back up with the same while holding the "Standard" and "DSP Simulation" buttons behind the drop-down door and problem solved. I did lose a few settings in the process (had to reassign my HDMI inputs, luckily had them written down, and also had to redo speaker config) but simply re-entered and I was good to go. Good luck!
post #4670 of 5098 Old 09-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have had some intermittant issues with the iPod showing up on the screen and then going away? Can any of you with an iPod that is hooked up to your 4308 tell me if you can see it on your TV or not?
post #4671 of 5098 Old 09-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Do you use the Denon Dock or the Apple Dock for your iPod conection? Can you see the songs and playlists on the TV? I have had the older Denon dock and depending on the software it works and then doesn't work? Right now I am hooked up to the Apple dock and I cannot see anything on the TV but it plays music beautifully and includes an Apple IR remote. I need to be able to control the iPod without touching it because it is behind glass in my system. The IR is an option but I have not been able to get it on screen yet, and the Denon unit would be the best option if I could control it form the TV. Sorry for the long post but I really want to find a long term solution with my new iPod touch 4th generation to hold my music.

Here is a link to the iPod compatability chart.
post #4672 of 5098 Old 09-16-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet View Post

If you still have problems I'll try contacting you via PM... I'm very familiar with Apple Routers...

Have a wonderfull Nuclear Day!!!
post #4673 of 5098 Old 09-16-2010, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

Do you use the Denon Dock or the Apple Dock for your iPod conection? Can you see the songs and playlists on the TV? I have had the older Denon dock and depending on the software it works and then doesn't work? Right now I am hooked up to the Apple dock and I cannot see anything on the TV but it plays music beautifully and includes an Apple IR remote. I need to be able to control the iPod without touching it because it is behind glass in my system. The IR is an option but I have not been able to get it on screen yet, and the Denon unit would be the best option if I could control it form the TV. Sorry for the long post but I really want to find a long term solution with my new iPod touch 4th generation to hold my music.

Here is a link to the iPod compatability chart.

I did not get any help but decided to buy the Denon ASD-3N iPod dock and the unit works perfectly. I can see my music on screen and watch videos from the iPod as well as movies ect.. The small remote works great and seem to work pretty far but you do need to point it at the unit. I am really glad I picked this up and it was only $50 on craigslist and I just updated the firmware to everything is current.

post #4674 of 5098 Old 09-28-2010, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post

I find that my surround back speakers are totally underutilized, and want to experiment with assigning these amp channels to bi-amp my main speakers. Is anyone running bi-amplification, or has anyone tested it out? Any feedback with regards to difference in the front speaker sound?

I used to have 5.1 and bi-amp of the fronts - but I recently changed to a much more potent 3 channel external amp on the fronts and the Denon gets only the surrounds
post #4675 of 5098 Old 09-29-2010, 12:57 PM

i own a 4308ci with 1 definitive technology supercube reference and had/have a Sony SA-WX700 sub. i use the 'sw pre-out' with a y-adapter which i have each sub connected to the rca inputs of the y-adapter. one run of cable to the def tech lfe in and the other cable to the sony's lfe input. i have had the two speakers and the receiver setup like this for over a year. previously [for a few years] i had a paradigm sub in place of the def tech and the sony sub connected in the same fashion.

ok, here's where the mystery begins. i decided to replace the sony with a def tech supercube I. powered off receiver, disconnected the sony [power / rca cable] moved the def tech I into the SAME location, and used the SAME rca into the lfe input and put power to it. i turned on the receiver, turned on one of my directv receivers, and without cranking up the volume on the 4308ci just felt the sub to see if it was producing bass which it was. this was last saturday.

it was a busy weekend so i did not 'play around' with the new def tech but when watching directv over the weekend i thought the sub was working. yesterday i used the audyssey system to recalibrate my speakers. to my alarm, there was no sound coming from the new sub. red light is on [indicating power], all knobs on speaker factory default, and the fuse is fine. so i used my main speaker wire for my right speaker to see if the speaker was producing sound and it is not.

i let my retailer know what is going on and they believe the speaker was damaged by either the 4308ci, the cabling, or something else on my side. i contacted denon and regurgitated the same info in this post and the tech said there is no way the damage could have occurred from the 4308ci.

what is even more perplexing is when i purchased my def tech supercube reference [from a different retailer] i had the SAME thing happen with two supercube references [which they replaced] until finally the 3rd supercube worked and has been working for over a year and using the same lfe out from the 4308ci, y-adapter, BUT in the location where i had the paradigm sub in my theater. so i moved that sub to the other location in my room [over a year ago] re-introduced the sony sub to the location where i had the two previous and now the latest failure of the def tech sub(s).

so, my question(s) to you-all is/are:

- could the 4308ci be frying these sub(s)?
- if the 4308ci is frying the sub(s) why did/does the 'cheap' sony sub work w/o issue in the SAME location / same setup?
- could it be the y-adapter, which in all honesty is not high-fidelity by any means?
- could it be the rca cable run to where the sony was and the new def tech is going to be?

i ordered a better y-adapter today so i'll be swapping out my current adapter.

has anyone experienced this or has any suggestions on the situation? the retailer has agreed to service the definitive technology I, but omg if i have another, imho, defective sub i'll be devastated. both retailers i've worked with say they install def tech subs all the time and the failure rate is almost 0% which is what brings me to this awesome forum.

sorry for being so verbose, i just want to provide as much detail to describe this VERY perplexing issue.

thank you.

luger9mm
post #4676 of 5098 Old 09-30-2010, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luger9mm View Post

has anyone experienced this or has any suggestions on the situation? the retailer has agreed to service the definitive technology I, but omg if i have another, imho, defective sub i'll be devastated. both retailers i've worked with say they install def tech subs all the time and the failure rate is almost 0% which is what brings me to this awesome forum.
thank you.

luger9mm

No way it is the Denon. How about the cube's volume control ??
post #4677 of 5098 Old 09-30-2010, 08:31 AM

from the factory, the vol knob WAS maxed out, and i left it as such. i left all knobs default on speaker. i TOTALLY 'babied' the speaker as when i introduce ANY new speaker i believe in a 'break-in' period so even with the volume control up i know the speaker was not over driven.

last night, i yanked the y and connected the sub directly to the lfe on my receiver and no bass [it'd dead]. other sub [def tech supercube reference] is / has been working fine.

i am mystified because from what i've read or have not seen reported is def tech does not make crappy stuff [even though it's made in china but what's not these days]. i wish someone on the forum had the same / similar issue so i could scratch my receiver / cabling off the list of possible 'culprits' for corruption of the speaker.

i'm taking the sub back, and going to try another supercube but before i introduce the speaker again into my theater anything any of you think i should do?

i purchased a 'higher quality' y-adapter so i'll utilize that before receiving the replacement sub. i also ordered a really nice belkin power strip / surge suppressor to replace the 'el cheapo' surge suppressor / power strip i use at that location. could the cheap surge suppressor i was using be the culprit? maybe there is was spikes coming from the wiring in my theater BUT that being said why wouldn't those spikes have fried the sony sub i was using for 3+ years.

knoxtn... denon also said there's no way the the receiver would/could do the damage as all it's doing in sending a signal to the speaker.

what about this... the rca cable run from the 4308ci to the sub is about 30 ft long because i had to go up the wall, through the attic, down the wall to where the 2nd sub sits in my theater. could this distance cause a 'spike' or some other anomaly which would fry the amp / circuitry in the sub?

btw, i connected my 'old' sony sub to the same location last night, used the same y, and rca cable and it works fine.

luger9mm
post #4678 of 5098 Old 10-01-2010, 06:02 PM

THe latest Denon replacing this one is now a 9.2 with Audyssey's MultEQ XT 32 Room Correction and it streams our pihone with airplay
post #4679 of 5098 Old 10-03-2010, 03:56 PM

Liked: 11
I have the 4308 and have a question about 3D. I'm sure it's been asked/answered somewhere in this monster thread...but does the 1.3 HDMI in that receiver have the required bandwidth to pass the extra 3D signal? There's no way in %^#$ I'm investing more in an inferior 1.4 solution just to get that--I'd definitely opt for a dual HDMI blu-ray like the upcoming Oppo 93. I would think the 4308 processing may not be able to handle it--but can it pass the untouched HDMI signal to the TV OK?
post #4680 of 5098 Old 10-04-2010, 02:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottm18 View Post

I have the 4308 and have a question about 3D. I'm sure it's been asked/answered somewhere in this monster thread...but does the 1.3 HDMI in that receiver have the required bandwidth to pass the extra 3D signal? There's no way in %^#$ I'm investing more in an inferior 1.4 solution just to get that--I'd definitely opt for a dual HDMI blu-ray like the upcoming Oppo 93. I would think the 4308 processing may not be able to handle it--but can it pass the untouched HDMI signal to the TV OK?

DirecTV is outputting 3D as we speak (type?). And using exisitng equipment = 1.3 HDMI

That's TV - So maybe with BluRay 3D disks?? As I read in one of the magazines...if there is a problem - you can always plug it directly into one of the spare TV INPUTs
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page