post #451 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 02:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Davis View Post

For regular DD and DTS, bitstream or PCM "shouldn't" matter

It is very possible that a receivers hardware could do a better job than the PS3s software.
Quote:
But for the newer formats you have to use PCM.

At the moment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim GoodBooty View Post

It is very possible that a receivers hardware could do a better job than the PS3s software.

How?

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss
SXRD Owner's Thread
PSN: Uxi

post #453 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 03:52 PM

Need some help here...

I've got my 4308 hookup up via HDMI to a Pioneer 5070...no problems. I then tried hooking up the other HDMI monitor output to my Optoma H31 via a DVI-HDMI adapter (note to others...you can't plug a DVI->HDMI adapter directly into the receiver with another HDMI cable connected next to it...not enough room - get an 8" M/F HDMI pigtail from monoprice to work around this).

Problem is that I can't get the rcvr and H31 to sync (with or without the Pio turned on). My monitor output is set to Auto (both), and I've tried the 2 scaling variants as well as turning off scaling - no luck.

Any ideas?

Also, to note on something others mentioned earlier about switching times when changing between SD/HD channels: I've got a SA8300 DVR cable box fed into the receiver via HDMI. When I switch between SD/SD, SD/HD, or HD/HD it takes about 1.5 seconds to switch. The receiver HDMI scaling/resolution were set to their defaults (scaling enabled, auto resolution, etc.)
post #454 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 04:20 PM

OK - I've been happily using and experimenting with my my 4308 for the last three days. However, my GUI just stopped working and I can't figure out why. I using HDMI and everything was fine before today. Anyone have this happen or see any mention in the manual where it may have been (inadvertently) turned off?
post #455 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javajaws View Post

Need some help here...

I've got my 4308 hookup up via HDMI to a Pioneer 5070...no problems. I then tried hooking up the other HDMI monitor output to my Optoma H31 via a DVI-HDMI adapter (note to others...you can't plug a DVI->HDMI adapter directly into the receiver with another HDMI cable connected next to it...not enough room - get an 8" M/F HDMI pigtail from monoprice to work around this).

Problem is that I can't get the rcvr and H31 to sync (with or without the Pio turned on). My monitor output is set to Auto (both), and I've tried the 2 scaling variants as well as turning off scaling - no luck.

Any ideas?

Also, to note on something others mentioned earlier about switching times when changing between SD/HD channels: I've got a SA8300 DVR cable box fed into the receiver via HDMI. When I switch between SD/SD, SD/HD, or HD/HD it takes about 1.5 seconds to switch. The receiver HDMI scaling/resolution were set to their defaults (scaling enabled, auto resolution, etc.)

I have a similar problem when connecting HDMI2 to a Dell LCD Monitor using an HDMI->DVI cable.
post #456 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCgrp View Post

OK - I've been happily using and experimenting with my my 4308 for the last three days. However, my GUI just stopped working and I can't figure out why. I using HDMI and everything was fine before today. Anyone have this happen or see any mention in the manual where it may have been (inadvertently) turned off?

Same thing happened to me. I had to unplugged the unit to reset it. It worked again after that. Good luck.
post #457 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 05:40 PM

Liked: 13
yup...same missing GUI menu here. I did a reboot and it reappeared. I had to redo all menu and input settings though...
post #458 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
^^ Missing GUI. Seems someone on the 3808 thread had the same issue as well. For those that have had the issue, did you do the firmware updates?

And if you got it working again did you have to reset all the previous settings you had made? As in did it go back to default settings?
post #459 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 07:06 PM

OK - the GUI's back but only after powering down and unplugging. Not sure about the settings - I changed so many in looking for a way to get the GUI back.

On another note, it sure would be nice (and you would think it would be easily ugraded in a firmware update) if you could shuffle streaming music. It seems as if this is only possible with the ipod.
post #460 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

I have been hearing about this a lot. Is there a reference disk in Blu-ray you would recommend? Everyone seems to agree that PCM is the best then and I am sure it is. It is just hard to imagine how much more clear it could be than running DVD audio over bitstream... I want to be blown away with a TrueHD track.

It's not that we all agree that PCM is best for a Blu-Ray disk... it's because for the newer audio formats used on Blu-Ray PCM is the "only" choice. Until players like the new Denon Blu-Ray player and others like it are released you will not have the option to send bitstream to the receiver.

Now for older stuff like DD and DTS, as mentioned above the receiver might be doing something to make it sound better.
post #461 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 07:13 PM

Anyone finding the number of inputs on the 4308ci too limiting? There are two (2) fewer on the 4308 than on the 4306. I'm still happy with my 4306, but I was disapointed to see that the new unit couldn't handle all my equipment.

Are there any specs out yet on the 4808ci? I am assuming it will have a few more inputs.

-- Dave
post #462 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdswindell View Post

Anyone finding the number of inputs on the 4308ci too limiting? There are two (2) fewer on the 4308 than on the 4306. I'm still happy with my 4306, but I was disapointed to see that the new unit couldn't handle all my equipment.

Are there any specs out yet on the 4808ci? I am assuming it will have a few more inputs.

-- Dave

I always wonder why they have so many... But I guess there is some that have a lot of gear to hook up. I have 7 devices to hook up and I thought I had way too many.

There is no 4808ci. There is a 5308ci though and there is a thread already on it.
post #463 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 07:38 PM

Got the 4308ci today. Pretty disappointed in the wi-fi. I've read the entire thread and recall a problem someone was having with an apple router but nothing like the issue I am having.

Followed the steps to get it on my network. It initially connects fine, then brings my whole network down. I lose my laptop and the xbox360. I am using a netgear wireless router and netgear gaming adapter. My laptop has it's own internal wireless card. I don't have any security enabled.

I have also tried to hook it directly into my router but it does the same thing.

The plan tomorrow is to reset my router to its factory defaults and see if that helps.

Any pointers would be appreciated.
post #464 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbresee View Post

Got the 4308ci today. Pretty disappointed in the wi-fi. I've read the entire thread and recall a problem someone was having with an apple router but nothing like the issue I am having.

Followed the steps to get it on my network. It initially connects fine, then brings my whole network down. I lose my laptop and the xbox360. I am using a netgear wireless router and netgear gaming adapter. My laptop has it's own internal wireless card. I don't have any security enabled.

I have also tried to hook it directly into my router but it does the same thing.

The plan tomorrow is to reset my router to its factory defaults and see if that helps.

wow that sucks. did you try resetting the router and modem after you intergrated the denon into the system? if not then simply unplug the router and modem then after about 30 seconds start it back up in the proper order. if that doesnt work then im scared as mine is in transit and i got a pc, ps3, xbox360, and a laptop already in my network. losing my network would be a huge thing for me.

Pioneer 5010FD, Sony 60A3000, Panny 42PZ85U, Yamaha RX-V3800, Denon 4308, B&W 600's, HSU VTF-3 MK3, Def. Tech. bp7004, 2002, 1.2x, 2x, TivoHD, Samsung 1200, harmony 1000, ps3, xbox360, Sony BDP S350
post #465 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 09:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If you connected it directly to your router and it did the same thing than the issue isn't with the WI-FI obviously. After resetting the router I would just connect the Denon and see if you can get it to work before connecting the other devices.
post #466 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Advanced Member

Got mine today also, it sound surprisingly good. But, I have the opposite problem from Alan, I got all the other HDMIs to work except for Tosh XA2 to work. Drives me nuts. I'm doing the firmware update now, man it's taking along time. Hopefully everything will work after.....

Daniel
post #467 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 09:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboncorr1 View Post

wow that sucks. did you try resetting the router and modem after you intergrated the denon into the system? if not then simply unplug the router and modem then after about 30 seconds start it back up in the proper order. if that doesnt work then im scared as mine is in transit and i got a pc, ps3, xbox360, and a laptop already in my network. losing my network would be a huge thing for me.

That is so wierd, I had the same exact problem. I reset the router and changed from WEP to WPA2 peronal and it fixed the issues. I was them able to get the Macs, the PC and the Denon to all play well together. Try it if you get a second and let me know if it helps.
post #468 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdmai View Post

Got mine today also, it sound surprisingly good. But, I have the opposite problem from Alan, I got all the other HDMIs to work except for Tosh XA2 to work. Drives me nuts. I'm doing the firmware update now, man it's taking along time. Hopefully everything will work after.....

I know, it was soooo slow. I had an ethernet connection on a fast network and it seemed to me like their server was just butt slow.
post #469 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 10:03 PM
KZ

Quote:

Do you have another brand of router, perhaps an older 802.11b model that is lying in the closet? I experienced many compatibility problems with a recent Netgear 802.11g router and replaced it with D-Link's latest and greatest Xtreme N. I don't have a 4308ci (waiting for the 5308ci), but temporarily swapping out the router might be something worth trying.
post #470 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 11:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

I know, it was soooo slow. I had an ethernet connection on a fast network and it seemed to me like their server was just butt slow.

It's dreadfully slooooowwwww....It's been 4 hrs for me and the manual states only 1 hr. Wonder what happens if I stop the process??

Daniel
post #471 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 11:10 PM

Quote:

It's dreadfully slooooowwwww....It's been 4 hrs for me and the manual states only 1 hr. Wonder what happens if I stop the process??

My advice, don't stop the process. Go to bed, see if it's completed in the morning. It might just be hung (4 hours, that'd be my guess) and might need to be reboot but if it's in process and the firmware upgrade process doesn't have the right safety guards in place (I have no idea if Denon does or doesn't since i have no insight into their coding) you could render the unit unusable. Imagine trying to install an OS on a computer and stopping halfway through copying all the files; think the computer would boot up? Without being able to boot up how do you fix it?

Erik

post #472 of 5093 Old 08-07-2007, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

My experience when updating the firmware was that it sat at "Please Wait..." or something like that forever. I watched my network with PRTG and it looked like it was downloading at about 128Kb/s. The download stopped after about 1 hr, but the 4308 display still indicated Please Wait... Finally, after no change on the display, or no data being transfered for another half hour, I went back to firmware update in the menu and start. This time, it almost immediately displayed "Updating" 1/14 through 14/14.
post #473 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 12:20 AM
Advanced Member

Mine did the "Updating" 1/14 to 14/14 also. But now on the display at the unit it saids "Firmware Update Lastest Firmware". The manual saids it suppose to display "Updating complete", but I haven't seen that. About to turn off the power and see what happens...

Daniel
post #474 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 12:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Mine did the "Updating" 1/14 to 14/14 also. But now on the display at the unit it saids "Firmware Update Lastest Firmware". The manual saids it suppose to display "Updating complete", but I haven't seen that. About to turn off the power and see what happens...

Yes, thats what mine said also "Firmware Update Lastest Firmware", with a sort of down arrow looking thing.
post #475 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

SUCCESS!!! I turned the power off, turned it back on and it works. Everything now!! Man, I should have done this 3-4 hrs ago and be playing with it instead of waiting for the "complete" as stated in the manual.

Daniel
post #476 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

SUCCESS!!! I turned the power off, turned it back on and it works. Everything now!! Man, I should have done this 3-4 hrs ago and be playing with it instead of waiting for the "complete" as stated in the manual.

Glad you got it working. I still have not found a way to display the current firmware version. I haven't been brave enough to go into maintenance mode to see if there is any information in there.
post #477 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 12:58 AM

To all you kind owners. I'm a bit confused as to the sequence of events when connecting up a new 4308. It seems checking for the new firmware is a must. However in the manual p.60 resetting the Microprocessor' it states - all values are reset to their default... Does this include Audyssey, assigns, etc?

In other words is it recommended to update first - reset - then setup system?

Thanks to one and all.

Ron
post #478 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 01:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
The firmware update only took a minute for me.
post #479 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 01:58 AM

Can anyone tell me if the 4308 doing smart-stretch or lineair-stretch with 4x3 image?
Thanks.
post #480 of 5093 Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 AM

I had to download firmware twice. The first time it got hung up at 10/14. I waited for an hour and half then hit the power button. System came back up, kept my settings. Others might not have been so lucky. I tried again and it blew through the whole update in a minute.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page