The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 163 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4861 of 5098 Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The opening of the face frame on my entertainment center is 7". The 4308 is 7.7" tall. Just wondering if I can remove the feet from the receiver to drop it down a bit. It doesn't need to fit through the opening, I can bring it in from behind.

The actual space that the receiver would sit in (behind the face frame) is probably about 9" so there is room on top for ventilation. My concern is whether or not there are any openings in the bottom of the receiver that act as an "intake" for cooling?

Can anyone look at the bottom and let me know?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4862 of 5098 Old 01-13-2012, 11:04 AM

Yes, there are vent slots on the front half of the bottom of the unit.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #4863 of 5098 Old 01-14-2012, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I love my 4308 but I will be selling it when the 4313 is released. I hope the build quality is as good as the 4308. I have been very happy...
post #4864 of 5098 Old 01-15-2012, 05:53 PM

I have a denon 4308 and recently the right front channel went out. Getting repaired but the guy told me it was because my speakers are stressing the receiver too much and I should get an amplifier. My setup is 7.1 as below

Front: Klipsch RF-82 (8 ohms compatible)
Center: Klipsch RC-62
4 Surround: Sony speaker that were installed when we moved in (unsure of details of these but small and likely not drawing a lot of power)
Subwoofer: Klipsch RW-12D

Mostly used for movies, gaming, TV. Seems to me it is more likely a bad part than stress on the unit. However, I am a novice in this area. Anybody have any thoughts?
post #4865 of 5098 Old 01-15-2012, 10:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by walden710 View Post

I have a denon 4308 and recently the right front channel went out. Getting repaired but the guy told me it was because my speakers are stressing the receiver too much and I should get an amplifier. My setup is 7.1 as below

4 Surround: Sony speaker that were installed when we moved in (unsure of details of these but small and likely not drawing a lot of power)

Mostly used for movies, gaming, TV. Seems to me it is more likely a bad part than stress on the unit. However, I am a novice in this area. Anybody have any thoughts?

Your using your Denon the way it was intended to be used. If you wanted more this might not be a bad choice. LINK to XPA-5
post #4866 of 5098 Old 01-16-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

I love my 4308 but I will be selling it when the 4313 is released. I hope the build quality is as good as the 4308. I have been very happy...

Have you heard if they plan to release a 48XX series yet? Would like to stick with Denon but it seems they are headed down the cheap way of doing businss and charging more for their products. I'm starting to consider just using a multi-player and a preamp. Will wait till the new releases and decide.
post #4867 of 5098 Old 01-16-2012, 03:26 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked: 1368
Quote:
Originally Posted by walden710 View Post

Those RF-82 speakers are very efficient @ 98db and therefore require very little power to get quite loud so unlikely to be stressing the AVR.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4868 of 5098 Old 01-16-2012, 03:29 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17FXR View Post

Have you heard if they plan to release a 48XX series yet? Would like to stick with Denon but it seems they are headed down the cheap way of doing businss and charging more for their products. I'm starting to consider just using a multi-player and a preamp. Will wait till the new releases and decide.

As of last fall, the 4311CI and 4810CI were to be replaced by the 4313CI with the 43XX series being the new flagship model; however, rumor has it that is no longer the case ... so there may indeed be a 4813CI in the works. More details should be available sometime later this summer.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4869 of 5098 Old 01-16-2012, 12:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

As of last fall, the 4311CI and 4810CI were to be replaced by the 4313CI with the 43XX series being the new flagship model; however, rumor has it that is no longer the case ... so there may indeed be a 4813CI in the works. More details should be available by April.

That is indeed great news and I will take a look at both of these offering if they are released in April. I will only want to use either as a pre amp so over all power between the two is a non issue.
post #4870 of 5098 Old 01-16-2012, 06:13 PM

Quote:

That is indeed great news and I will take a look at both of these offering if they are released in April. I will only want to use either as a pre amp so over all power between the two is a non issue.

That's the same thing I'm looking at, started to jump over to the AVP with the new upgrade they just had but with Denon discontinuing support for it shortly that shot down my dreams so will have to wait till April. Lets hope Denon dosn't disappoint. Hoping they will also make a Uni-player like the 2500 with just digital connections.
post #4871 of 5098 Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:

As of last fall, the 4311CI and 4810CI were to be replaced by the 4313CI with the 43XX series being the new flagship model; however, rumor has it that is no longer the case ... so there may indeed be a 4813CI in the works. More details should be available by April.

Will the 53xx then drop as the flagship?
post #4872 of 5098 Old 01-17-2012, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C17FXR View Post

That's the same thing I'm looking at, started to jump over to the AVP with the new upgrade they just had but with Denon discontinuing support for it shortly that shot down my dreams so will have to wait till April. Lets hope Denon dosn't disappoint. Hoping they will also make a Uni-player like the 2500 with just digital connections.

Sorry, guys ... just found out yesterday that details on the 4810CI's replacement won't be "released" until later this summer with actual product release likely in the fall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Will the 53xx then drop as the flagship?

AFAIK, yes.

post #4873 of 5098 Old 01-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, guys ... just found out yesterday that details on the 4810CI's replacement won't be "released" until later this summer with actual product release likely in the fall.

Thank you for the update jdsmoothie! Being patient was never one of my strong suits..
post #4874 of 5098 Old 01-22-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lik2hvfun View Post

My Internet radio has been working flawlessly until very recently (around the end of December). I have a number of stations I've added in the "Added Stations" area. I've always been able to access them. All of a sudden, I'm getting "Track not found." errors on each one. I have a Denon 3808 and 4308, and both are doing the same thing. However, I can access one station listed in my "Added Stations" from the "Recently Played" selection, since I was listening to it before all of this started. I sent an email to the 'contact' at the radiondenon website about this, but have not received a reply. It's all very strange. Oh, and I am accessing the internet through the wired connection, not wirelessly. I'm using Western Digital's Livewire kit and it works remarkably well.

You have described exactly the issue that I am having (posted just a few entries up from this).
post #4875 of 5098 Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Question:

Can the 4308CI make 7.1 via LPCM from 5.1 lossless?

I have a "fat" PS3 in my basement HT, circia mid 2008, so to get lossless audio to my 4308CI I use LPCM over the HDMI cable.
Official PS3 FAQ Master Thread - Audio settings

I have a 7.1 surround set-up, however most blu-rays are "still" 5.1 as we all know .

So, for my cable DD5.1 I've enabled PLIIx, http://www.dolby.com/us/en/professional/technology/home-theater/dolby-pro-logic-iix.html to get 7.1 sound, run it in PLIIx cinema mode.
(I did this 1 year ago... then tried for the PS3 LPCM also and gave up.....so now I try again)

Looking at the owners manual, page 82, it appears the 4308CI can make 7.1 via LPCM using PLIIx from 5.1 lossless, correct?
Others done same?
For some reason, I don't remember seeing that in the onscreen 4308CI menus, yet it's clearly in the owners manual.
post #4876 of 5098 Old 01-24-2012, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Had some time to dig into the "Can the 4308CI make 7.1 via LPCM from 5.1 lossless?" issue I posted above.

As stated, on DD 5.1 via non LPCM source material it works fine, this is cable box:
You can see the on LH side DD5.1 is input, and RH side shows 7.1 is delivered to speakers via the PLIIx processing:

and under the audio menu, I can select PLIIx Cinema

Now, the PS3 comes up as follows when initially started, nothing running.
Full 7.1 "possible" via LPCM.

and under the PS3 Audio Settings I have it set this way manually, basically decode everything:

However, I can't select for the back channels how to process them at all if not 7.1 source, it only comes up with "DSCRT ON", which I'm guessing means Discrete On?

This is different than the page 82 led me to believe, or do I have a mis-understanding?

As a test, I put 2 blu-ray's in, first "Up", DTS-HD MA 6.1 (box says 5.1)

Check this out, it porcesses the "6th" channel into 2 for the back wall

Now, Happy Potter Ch 7 Pt 1 is DTS-HD MA 5.1

and is passed along as such, 5.1

So, either I'm reading the table on page 82 wrong.
Top say "input", and I look in the LPCM portion.
post #4877 of 5098 Old 01-24-2012, 08:55 AM

I pulled the trigger a couple days ago and have a 4308 on its way to me. I can't wait!

Is there any button pushing I can do when I get it to set everything back to factory defaults? I don't want to deal with someone else's setup right off the bat.

Thanks.
post #4878 of 5098 Old 01-24-2012, 09:36 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes ... see p. 60 in the Owner's manual to reset the microprocessor.

post #4879 of 5098 Old 01-24-2012, 04:16 PM
AVS Special Member

I sure miss when Denon Jeff used to support for official tech feedback (I do appreciate all the other support from members).....anyway I posted to Denon USA facebook,
Quote:

Tech support question: Can the 2008 model 4308CI make 7.1 via LPCM from 5.1 lossless? Reading page 82 of owners manual should be able to. I can do it if source is DD5.1 via PLIIx (audio settings, SB Channel Out), but when tried via LPCM cannot do it. My 2008 "fat" PS3 only passes lossless via HDMI as LPCM. I have a thread on avsforum with more background. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=21534801#post21534801

and here was their response
Quote:

You can press the "surround mode" button to select PLIIx which will simulate a surround channel. If you don't automatically get "Dolby D + PLIIx" then double check to make sure AFDM is on under the Parameter menu. You can also check "SB CH Out" also in the Parameter menu, and make sure it's set to "PLIIx Cinema." You also have other options there, such as "MTRX ON" and "NON MTRX," which will also create a surround back channel based on the existing surround channels.

So, coming home tonight I went to the basement and...got it to work, however I am calling this a bug in the "fat" 80gb PS3 itself, read on:
Quote:

Ok, I did what you suggested and still could NOT get PLIIx to work via LPCM over the HDMI from my "fat" 80gb PS3. So, I went into the PS3 Audio Settings, changed it from Manual (where I selected every possible setting) to Automatic. Then, I was able to do it! I can't explain except it is a bug in the PS3, since it passes the exact same info via Manual or Auto, but on Manual in the 4308CI I can't select PLIIx (or anything) under the audio settings, SB Channel Out menu. Good news is now it works, and I'm using those back wall surrounds now! Thx for quick support!!

It now says "Multi in + PLIIx Cinema mode" on the dot matrix display! So, it is taking the LPCM and adding the back surround channels via PLIIx processing, exactly like page 82 says it should do!

I'll post this in the PS3 Master thread in case others have this issue, it is NOT AVR related, as far as I can tell, but "fat"PS3 related quirk.

And, the conclusion!
(my conclusion)

It's a bug in the PS3 Audio setting, Automatic works, while manual does not.
Solution: Simple, just select automatic.
post #4880 of 5098 Old 01-27-2012, 08:35 AM

I just received my new (used) 4308. It's in brand new condition and looks almost unused.

Without connecting it to anything else due to lack of time, I just turned it on and decided to play around a bit. I did perform a microprocessor reset just to clear out any of the previous owners settings and start with defaults.

I quickly realized that the large backlit remote wasn't doing much. The power on/off, volume up/down, and menu buttons all work. I can't get it to do anything else though. As I push buttons I can see the lines in the backlit area turning on and off showing that it is (seemingly) sending commands. Nothing is happening though. Channel up/down, numbers, source buttons on the touch area, nothing works.

Am I missing something obvious? I installed brand new batteries.

Any suggestions?

The previous owner stated that he wasn't using that remote but he was using the smaller remote and verified it worked before shipping it.

Thanks.
post #4881 of 5098 Old 01-27-2012, 09:16 AM
585-645-1006

^^
If you are seeing the AVR's front panel display change when you press the various remote buttons, then the remote is working. It could be an issue with the IR the TV is putting out so if it's on, turn the TV OFF to test the remote.

post #4882 of 5098 Old 01-27-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:

^^
If you are seeing the AVR's front panel display change when you press the various remote buttons, then the remote is working. It could be an issue with the IR the TV is putting out so if it's on, turn the TV OFF to test the remote.

Most of the commands from the remote don't change anything on the receiver even though they are showing the little signal bars on the remote display.

When I push channel up/down, nothing on the AVR changes. The remote display shows the bars like it sent a signal though. Most of the button presses on the remote don't change anything on the AVR.

Only a few commands are actually changing the AVR. Volume up/down, menu, power on/off.

I have it sitting on a workbench in the basement. There aren't any tv's or other equipment in the room or anywhere near it.
post #4883 of 5098 Old 01-27-2012, 09:44 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Then it's quite possible the remote code was changed. Try resetting it by following the instructions on p. 66 of the Owner's manual.

Press and hold [RC Setup] for at least 3 secs.
Press [9][8][1] in that order and let the remote indicator flash 4 times.
All settings should be reset.

Also confirm the Remote ID setting is set to "1" (p. 36).

post #4884 of 5098 Old 01-30-2012, 03:22 AM

Is the amp on the remote on the correct page? There is about 4 pages for the amp controls on the remote. Make sure your on the correct one. There should be several buttons in the center that change when you push the amp button. These are for zone control 1, 2, 3, 4. Just below the component selection buttons you will see 1 2 3 in a box, these will change when you push the amp selection button in the top left hand corner. The correct page has the 1 2 3 in a box the line below that should be EQ in the left box, center box blank and right box STD, below that the next row should be pure in the left box,D/ST in the center box, Simu in the right box. Let us know if this works.
post #4885 of 5098 Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
having a meltdown right now.

Just broke the positive binding post off of the amp assign-2 terminal on the back of my 4308ci.

Does anyone know how to repair this? Attempted solder back together? Replace it? part number?

ANY experience with this is appreciated. I'm raging right now.
post #4886 of 5098 Old 02-03-2012, 08:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post

having a meltdown right now.

Just broke the positive binding post off of the amp assign-2 terminal on the back of my 4308ci.

Does anyone know how to repair this? Attempted solder back together? Replace it? part number?

ANY experience with this is appreciated. I'm raging right now.

Deep Breaths......Find local Denon authorized repair shop, google closest Starbucks. Drop off unit, grab a latte...It'll be OK.....(I had the front door break off on mine and it was a 1 hour repair....)

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

post #4887 of 5098 Old 02-03-2012, 09:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post

Deep Breaths......Find local Denon authorized repair shop, google closest Starbucks. Drop off unit, grab a latte...It'll be OK.....(I had the front door break off on mine and it was a 1 hour repair....)

nearest authorized repair--~150 miles.

may just take to local electronics shop to see of the can solder it back on.

NOT a diversion that needed to happen today.
post #4888 of 5098 Old 02-03-2012, 10:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post

nearest authorized repair--~150 miles.

may just take to local electronics shop to see of the can solder it back on.

NOT a diversion that needed to happen today.

I understand. I am 205 from the service center. I made the drive around a business trip.

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

post #4889 of 5098 Old 02-03-2012, 10:46 AM

Alright guys I have a problem with my 4308ci.....Ive had it for almost 4 years and I love it, one problem though. When I am watching tv with the Denon supplying the audio, I keep getting my GUI screen to pop on the screen randomly...super annoying! The only way I have found to somewhat stiffle this isssue is by locking out the setup mode. Now when the receiver decides it wants to randomly bring up the GUI screen, the words "setup locked" appear on the bottom of the tv...Is there a firmware fix for this? Frustrated! Sorry if this has been brought up before but I couldnt find a link to it.

-Just when you think you've caught up with technology, it passes you like you were standing still.-
post #4890 of 5098 Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Try powering off (not in Standby) for a few minutes and if still no joy then you may find resetting the microprocessor as listed in the manual will resolve the issue.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page