The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 164 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4891 of 5100 Old 02-03-2012, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Took it to a denon dealer and the tech made a legit effort so solder the post back on. Perhaps they had the wrong type of solder wire, but the wire would not adhere to the binding post metal.

I'm resigned to simply laying the speaker wire over the broken off post, and taping it against it.

NOT shipping it off for this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4892 of 5100 Old 02-03-2012, 03:11 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post

Took it to a denon dealer and the tech made a legit effort so solder the post back on. Perhaps they had the wrong type of solder wire, but the wire would not adhere to the binding post metal.

I'm resigned to simply laying the speaker wire over the broken off post, and taping it against it.

NOT shipping it off for this.

Just remember to call the authorized reapir facility in advance if you are going that way. I had some parts to order and I timed it so they got there a couple of days before I was in town. Made the repair very quick and simple.

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

post #4893 of 5100 Old 02-05-2012, 05:39 AM

Had my 4308 for a few years now and in general all has been well. Since just before Xmas I have noticed a slight mains hum in the surrounds, the nearest of which is just above my head when I am laying on the sofa. I thought is was the 5 channel Rotel power amp I was fronting the Denton with but moving the speakers back to the Denton and powering off the Rotel has only made a small difference, probably the difference in gain between the amps.

Further checking and it's all channels and also goes away when the amp is muted.

Anyone had this? Is it bad? I mean in terms of fixability ...

PS Being in the UK it's 50Hz...

Peter Galbavy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4894 of 5100 Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Try plugging everything into a single outlet. That means the AVR, amp, subs, pre-amps, source players, etc. If the hum goes away you have a ground loop, not an equiptment problem.

Mike
post #4895 of 5100 Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 PM

It's all in the same Belkin protecting thingy and nothing has changed in the wiring for some time.

Peter Galbavy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4896 of 5100 Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 32
How about cable TV or satelite input cables or network cables? Try disconnecting those so you can prove to yourself to absolutely everything is coming through just a single power outlet. It might even be worth removing the Belkin to make sure it's not causing any problems (probably isn't, but since you don't know what it causing the problems it's best to question everything).

Mike
post #4897 of 5100 Old 02-06-2012, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
So, big Super Bowl game, I've got 5 families over, 24 people.

Game was on in the home theatre, 130" big. Feed is Comcast HDTV via hdmi to my 4308.

I tried and tried to get zone 2 to output the cable sound, but it would not.
If I use source as hd radio, or USB/net I can do it. (play same source in main and zones)

Is there hdmi copy protection that's keeping the audio form going to both main and zone2?
Arghhhhh.

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #4898 of 5100 Old 02-09-2012, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Game was on in the home theatre, 130" big. Feed is Comcast HDTV via hdmi to my 4308.

If I use source as hd radio, or USB/net I can do it. (play same source in main and zones)

Is there hdmi copy protection that's keeping the audio form going to both main and zone2?
Arghhhhh.

Did you check if the zone was turned on? thru the remote, pressing amp, you can check if it is on.

all the best,

Michael
post #4899 of 5100 Old 02-09-2012, 05:03 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 1493
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

Arghhhhh.

The only AVRs on the market today that will pass HDMI audio to Zone 2 are the Yamaha Aventage series. The vast majority are limited to only analog input sources while the 4308CI is one of only a handful of AVRs that can also pass PCM 2.0 over optical or digital coax to Zone 2. To resolve your issue, also connect an analog cable from the cable box to the analog input jacks labeled the same as the source name used for the HDMI cable box input.

---------------------------------
"JD" –
; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 

Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Parasound
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4900 of 5100 Old 02-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Problems with 4308. First HDMI output stopped working. Tried everything including full reset and reprogram. Thought maybe cable (10M) with poor luck with cables on other units. Then out of nowhere, power problem. Time to ship to Denon Super Center (a one day UPS distance). Used original packaging. 1. Faceplate got smashed in shipping. 2. One amp channel blown
3. Board that controls HDMI board is shot! Repair center very nice and has a used faceplate glass etc. Will replace for $150. Can receive $100 from UPS (Yeah I know I didn't insure full amount, but I ship 1000 packages/day & we self insure). $250 to repair amp channel - No issue. BUT WAIT - The board which contains HDMI output IS NO LONGER available from Denon! Even if it was, cost is $750! They do believe problem is one chip which they will source and repair for $60, but no guarantees . With return freight $465, with questionable results. Good money after bad?
post #4901 of 5100 Old 02-11-2012, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanr View Post

Good money after bad?

My recommendation:

http://usa.denon.com/US/Product/Page...4311CI(DenonNA)

I have both. The 4311 is great!

Good luck!

EricN
"You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike"

HT: Denon 4311CI, Denon DVD-5900, M&K S-150's LCR & ss-150's SL & SR, SVS PB12+, Oppo-BDP-83, Sony Cineza LCD, Stewart StudioTek 130 92"

2 Ch: MacMini,W4S DAC2 DSDse,VPI Scout 1.1&Dynavector 10X5,Cary SLI-80&Vandersteen 2Ce Signatures II's

post #4902 of 5100 Old 02-12-2012, 08:26 AM

[quote=longbow;21632541]My recommendation:

I have both. The 4311 is great!/QUOTE]

Where is a "4312"? Big hole in line up. Need the latest technical inovation of 3312CI with the flexability/features of 4311CI. Not many can make the leap to 5308CI(A).
post #4903 of 5100 Old 02-12-2012, 09:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

theres no "big hole"... the 4311 fills it's niche just fine... there aren't any "technical innovations" that the 3312 has that the 4311 doesn't (or the 3311, ftm, as the 3312 is merely a yearly face lift of the 3311)... and frankly, we've discussed at great length what a successor to the 4311 would contain, and we can't really come up with much in terms of "technical innovations"...

fwiw, the 5308 is being discontinued...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #4904 of 5100 Old 02-12-2012, 07:02 PM
585-645-1006

[quote=scanr;21633884]
Quote:
Originally Posted by longbow View Post

My recommendation:

I have both. The 4311 is great!/QUOTE]

Where is a "4312"? Big hole in line up. Need the latest technical inovation of 3312CI with the flexability/features of 4311CI. Not many can make the leap to 5308CI(A).

The 4312CI was originally scheduled for release Oct 2011 but was delayed until April 2012 due to the earthquake/tsunami in Japan. It has now been further delayed to Oct 2012 although will also replace the 4810CI as well and likely given a new series name 4X13CI which will become Denon's new flagship series (as Chris notes, the 5308CI and AVP are being discontinued with the current 3D upgrades for these models being continued for awhile longer).

"JD" –

post #4905 of 5100 Old 02-15-2012, 07:10 AM

Don't know if it was due to some crazy electricity issues (gone and back in milliseconds, almost like a blow out), I noticed that the receiver doesn't operate as expected.

I have a Popcorn C-200, and was able to watch MKV files with DTS MHD audio streams in them. All of a sudden, I get video but no audio. If I watch another file that has Dolby Digital, that works fine.

A Verizon FiOS DVR that always outputs Dolby Digital works fine.

On another note, the receiver cannot connect over WiFi anymore. Searching for networks hangs, and never completes.

Is there any way to ask the device to perform a self-diagnostics routine to see if all the components are OK?
post #4906 of 5100 Old 02-15-2012, 09:23 AM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK in order to ask properly with respect you must do so in Japanese.

"JD" –

post #4907 of 5100 Old 02-15-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
AFAIK in order to ask properly with respect you must do so in Japanese.

Like this?
Quote:
それはいくつかのクレイジーな電力の問題(ほとんどブローアウトのように、背中をミリ秒単位でなくなって)によるものであったか どうか知りませんが、私は、受信側が期待どおりに動作しないことに気づいた。

私はポップコーンC-200を持っており、それらのDTS MHDオーディオストリームでMKVファイルを見ることができました。突然、私は映像がない音声を得る。私は正常に動作ドルビー デジタルがあり、別のファイルを見れば。

常にドルビーデジタルを出力するVerizon社のFiOSのDVRは正常に動作します。

別のノートでは、受信機はもうWiFi経由で接続することはできません。ネットワークを検索すると、ハングアップし、完了しませ ん。

すべてのコンポーネントがOKであるかどうかを確認する自己診断ルーチンを実行するデバイスを依頼する方法はありま すか?

Mike R,P.E. clickable DIY hot links:

post #4908 of 5100 Old 02-15-2012, 10:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Heh .. heh ... if it works, sure.

@baygins -

Seriously though .. there may be a diagnostic mode noted in the Service manual which you can download from the link below.

http://denon-firmware-tracking.wetpa...ervice+Manuals

"JD" –

post #4909 of 5100 Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:

^^
Heh .. heh ... if it works, sure.

@baygins -

Seriously though .. there may be a diagnostic mode noted in the Service manual which you can download from the link below.

http://denon-firmware-tracking.wetpa...ervice+Manuals

Hah .. other than the microprocessor reset, there doesn't seem to be any other secret trick.

I guess I will try that and if that fail, it's a trip to the repair shop
post #4910 of 5100 Old 02-28-2012, 06:34 AM

Background:
I just got a new to me (used) 4308CI. Mint condition and everything is perfect except for the majority of the main remote functions didn’t work. Something was wrong with it and he never used it to notice that. The 2nd remote worked fine. The seller refunded some money so I could buy a replacement remote. I decided on a Harmony One. The previous owner used a Harmony 750.

At this point I haven’t swapped it with my old receiver. It’s hooked up in the basement with two speakers just so I can get the remote programmed and everything set up before making the swap.

Problem:
I got the Harmony One remote and programmed it to my liking. I am having problems with the remote locking up the receiver. Yes, that sounds strange but it’s doing it. The 2nd remote can do all of its functions fine for hours on end so I know it’s not the receiver. I can do everything using the front panel just fine as well. Firmware is up to date.

The lockup never seems to happen right away at turn on. If turn it on and tune the radio presets up/down and switch inputs for a minute or so, it will eventually just respond to fewer commands. The last thing that seems to work is volume up/down but nothing else will function. The knobs and buttons on the front panel don’t do anything. Pressing the standby power button doesn’t do anything, it just stays green. Most of the time I can press the power off button on the remote and it will shut the receiver off but then it won’t power back up until I turn off/on the small power switch.

This receiver and remote seemed like a great combo but I can’t live with issues like this. I’m totally confused as to how a remote can lock this thing up. Please help.

I could try to post a video if that would be helpful for further description.

Thanks.
post #4911 of 5100 Old 02-28-2012, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by scanr View Post

Problems with 4308. First HDMI output stopped working. Tried everything including full reset and reprogram. Thought maybe cable (10M) with poor luck with cables on other units. Then out of nowhere, power problem. Time to ship to Denon Super Center (a one day UPS distance). Used original packaging. 1. Faceplate got smashed in shipping. 2. One amp channel blown
3. Board that controls HDMI board is shot! Repair center very nice and has a used faceplate glass etc. Will replace for $150. Can receive $100 from UPS (Yeah I know I didn't insure full amount, but I ship 1000 packages/day & we self insure). $250 to repair amp channel - No issue. BUT WAIT - The board which contains HDMI output IS NO LONGER available from Denon! Even if it was, cost is $750! They do believe problem is one chip which they will source and repair for $60, but no guarantees . With return freight $465, with questionable results. Good money after bad?

Denon's service/support to those of us who spent four figures on their AVRs is just appalling and unacceptable.

That after dealing with this mess (things get broken in transit, OK; parts for a barely out of warranty old $2000+ box, they need to do something better) others would recommend getting a new Denon, and more likely than not experiencing the similar problems 3-4 years hence, is surprising.

What I would recommend, and what I did after my 4308 died, is this:
http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver

Better room correction, lower price, much better after-sales support. I suppose it may be missing a few features in comparison, but I haven't missed any of them. Others may, of course.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #4912 of 5100 Old 02-28-2012, 08:28 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post

Background:
I just got a new to me (used) 4308CI. Mint condition and everything is perfect except for the majority of the main remote functions didn’t work. Something was wrong with it and he never used it to notice that. The 2nd remote worked fine. The seller refunded some money so I could buy a replacement remote. I decided on a Harmony One. The previous owner used a Harmony 750.

Whenever you get a used/demo/open box item, it's usually best to reset all settings to their mfr defaults by resetting the microprocessor (p. 60). You also may want to reset the main remote control as well (p. 66). If the previous owner didn't supply the Owner's manual you can download the .pdf version from Denon's Downloads website.

"JD" –

post #4913 of 5100 Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Whenever you get a used/demo/open box item, it's usually best to reset all settings to their mfr defaults by resetting the microprocessor (p. 60). You also may want to reset the main remote control as well (p. 66). If the previous owner didn't supply the Owner's manual you can download the .pdf version from Denon's Downloads website.

I did reset the microprocessor. It was the first thing I did when I powered it on.

I don't have the main remote. As I mentioned, it didn't work. It was replaced with a Harmony One.
post #4914 of 5100 Old 02-28-2012, 08:48 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Ah .. didn't realize you had disposed of the main remote control as you might be able to get it to work with a remote reset. That said, if you downloaded the 4308 remote codes from Logitech's data base, then it should suffice. Try turning off the AVR (not in standby) for about 10 minutes and then power on again doing a network reset (hold/press UP/DOWN arrow buttons on the front panel for a few seconds similar to a microprocessor reset).

"JD" –

post #4915 of 5100 Old 02-28-2012, 09:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 View Post

Denon's service/support to those of us who spent four figures on their AVRs is just appalling and unacceptable.

That after dealing with this mess (things get broken in transit, OK; parts for a barely out of warranty old $2000+ box, they need to do something better) others would recommend getting a new Denon, and more likely than not experiencing the similar problems 3-4 years hence, is surprising.

What I would recommend, and what I did after my 4308 died, is this:
http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver

Better room correction, lower price, much better after-sales support. I suppose it may be missing a few features in comparison, but I haven't missed any of them. Others may, of course.

Did you get the MRX 300, 500 or 700? I was wondering how these units would compare. How do you like ARC so far in your room?
post #4916 of 5100 Old 02-29-2012, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

Did you get the MRX 300, 500 or 700? I was wondering how these units would compare. How do you like ARC so far in your room?

The only material differences between them are streaming and HD radio features. As I never used HD Radio on my 4308, and have an AppleTV, I went with the 300.

ARC works better for me in the midrange, because it doesn't have that infernal "crappy speakers compensation" 2kHz notch that Audyssey imposes. (People with 7" 2-ways with flush-mounted tweeters as their main speakers may prefer Audyssey, because the notch provides a band-aid for the directivity problems of such incompetently-designed speakers.) Down low, they're about the same. I had to manually fix both of them in the crossover region, after measurements. I don't know why room correction systems don't ping the mains and subs together, because all of them always bungle the crossover. My mains already have declining sound power with frequency (i.e. similar to the Audyssey target curve), so Audyssey never had to do much up top. People with brighter-voiced mains may appreciate the full-band correction of Audyssey and the ability to tailor the highs better with the "Audyssey" and "flat" curves. (ARC "only" goes up to 5kHz.)

Also, Dolby Volume's "modeler" component seems on par with Audyssey's DynamicEQ. I mention that because IMO DynamicEQ is by far the most useful part of the Audyssey suite.

As an aside, it's much trickier to take measurements of the MRX than it was of the Denon, because it doesn't have an analog multichannel input. I thought that was useless...until I realized I needed to figure out a way to get test tones to my desired groupings of speakers! (For example, for mains-sub integration, one should run sweeps through the LCR and multisub system simultaneously.)

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait

post #4917 of 5100 Old 02-29-2012, 09:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I liked these units too because of the pre-outs since I would be using as a preamp. It sounds like you made a good move based on your needs.
post #4918 of 5100 Old 03-01-2012, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

I liked these units too because of the pre-outs since I would be using as a preamp. It sounds like you made a good move based on your needs.

Too bad it was forced on me by Denon's poor reliability and sub-par after-sales support, though.

For as long as it worked, I was happy with the 4308.

(Oh, one other thing that's different between the two. The 4308 would never overlay its GUI over my media server's screen. It probably could have, but I never figured it out. So no visible volume level, etc. The MRX 300 doesn't have an issue. Both the menu and the volume display pop up over OSX.)

--

post #4919 of 5100 Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckeand13 View Post

Background:
I just got a new to me (used) 4308CI. Mint condition and everything is perfect except for the majority of the main remote functions didn't work. Something was wrong with it and he never used it to notice that. The 2nd remote worked fine. The seller refunded some money so I could buy a replacement remote. I decided on a Harmony One. The previous owner used a Harmony 750.

At this point I haven't swapped it with my old receiver. It's hooked up in the basement with two speakers just so I can get the remote programmed and everything set up before making the swap.

Problem:
I got the Harmony One remote and programmed it to my liking. I am having problems with the remote locking up the receiver. Yes, that sounds strange but it's doing it. The 2nd remote can do all of its functions fine for hours on end so I know it's not the receiver. I can do everything using the front panel just fine as well. Firmware is up to date.

The lockup never seems to happen right away at turn on. If turn it on and tune the radio presets up/down and switch inputs for a minute or so, it will eventually just respond to fewer commands. The last thing that seems to work is volume up/down but nothing else will function. The knobs and buttons on the front panel don't do anything. Pressing the standby power button doesn't do anything, it just stays green. Most of the time I can press the power off button on the remote and it will shut the receiver off but then it won't power back up until I turn off/on the small power switch.

This receiver and remote seemed like a great combo but I can't live with issues like this. I'm totally confused as to how a remote can lock this thing up. Please help.

I could try to post a video if that would be helpful for further description.

Thanks.

A new replacement Harmony One seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't spent a lot of time with it yet but so far so good.
post #4920 of 5100 Old 03-05-2012, 10:35 AM

Got my 4308 installed this weekend.

I have my VCR connected to the VCR(iPod) input using rca cables.

When I'm watching that input, the screen goes black for a second or two any time I fast forward or rewind. The screen is also black for a bit when I press play.

This is extremely annoying. Any thoughts on how I can fix it?

Thanks.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page