The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 170 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #5071 of 5098 Old 03-10-2014, 04:02 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 777 Post(s)
Liked: 1433
Either way works. Select the one you prefer.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5072 of 5098 Old 03-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Either way works. Select the one you prefer.

Thanks for the reply. One more question, please. Is there a preferred method? I didn't know if one way might cause interference or tax the receiver more than the other. Thanks again.
post #5073 of 5098 Old 03-10-2014, 06:05 PM
585-645-1006

Whichever you prefer. With a separate source, you don't have to remember to change the source back to HDMI.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech
post #5074 of 5098 Old 03-10-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:

Whichever you prefer. With a separate source, you don't have to remember to change the source back to HDMI.

Great. Thanks again for the help.
post #5075 of 5098 Old 03-11-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco62 View Post

Here is my current setup:
Denon 4308ci
Denon DVD3910 (used only for CD's, SACD, High Resolution DVD Audio (192/24)
PS3: Blu Ray and games
Xbox 360: games
Boston Acoustics VR-M80's (L/R)
Boston Acoustics E70: Center
Boston Acoustics VR-M/EX Surrounds (7.1)
Velodyne SPL-1200R
Mitsubishi 65-inch Diamond Vision DLP (no plans to upgrade for several years as it works great for the amount of time we use it for movies)
Monster Power Filter

I am getting ready to purchase an Oppo 105 blu ray player to replace the PS3 and Denon DVD3910. I want to use HDMI for the 7.1 surround when playing blu rays, but utilize the analogue stereo output (w/subwoofer out) on the Oppo for Hi-resolution audio, SACD, DVD-A, etc. Is there a way to assign the input by signal type?

For example, Set the DVD input to use both the HDMI 1 input, but also the 2.1 analogue inputs (external in). It didn't appear so in the manual, but it's also a Denon manual, if you know what I mean.

I guess I could connect it to two inputs, right? Use the HDMI on the DVD setting, but then use the Analogue on the VDP input? I will run the HDMI 2 out from the Oppo directly to the monitor, so it won't be an issue of video signal. Thoughts?

There is a button on the remote called input. you may manually choose which input method for desired source. When listening to music press ext in or analog ( depends on whether you plugged in the analog or EXT in) . when watching movies you can press the input until HDMI appears and you are set to go.

all the best

Michael
post #5076 of 5098 Old 03-11-2014, 08:23 PM

@SoundMike - Thanks for the feedback. My Oppo is set to arrive tomorrow, so I will begin messing around with the best way to hook it up. Appreciate the tip.
post #5077 of 5098 Old 03-19-2014, 05:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by vj kid View Post

Hi, recently I bought a 4308ci in mint condition and I noticed the Advanced AL24 is active at all times regardless of the input signal, unlike the 3808ci , 2809ci and 3311ci (that currently I have too) ,those models applies the processing only with a pcm signal, is there a way to deactivate the AL24 on the 4308?, or not, thanks in advance

Has to do with the fact that the Advanced AL24 processing applies to all channels...so there is never any reason for it to be de-activated.

AL24 processing plus only applies to the front 2 channels, so any time you were using it in multi channel mode it would be disabled.
post #5078 of 5098 Old 03-19-2014, 05:42 PM

Quote:

No I am not, not to mention that the AL24 indicator was removed from the front panel display beginning with the 2012 models to include the current flagship 4520CI.
Along with many, many other things. These items were removed for cost cutting. No other reason. Has nothing to do with the importance or relevance of the items being removed. Just really anything they think they can get away with not having displayed they will. 4520 doesn't even show you which channels are being input on the front display. Really? A flagship model? Is that information not important? I happen to feel it is extraordinarily irritating having all of this info that we have grown accustomed to having on tap no longer available efficiently.
post #5079 of 5098 Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyaDawn View Post

This totally sucks. I'm sure this has been discussed to death but a $2K+ receiver being outdated in two years.

To be fair, any product which comes out within a year or two of a major technological advancement will seem to have been outdated in a hurry. I too own a 4308, and love it in every way, but I don't have a 3d tv much less the desire to watch 3d content so I suppose it's easier for me to swallow.
post #5080 of 5098 Old 03-19-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Also note, the other 4308 thread you posted in you responded to a 3 year old post. eek.gif

No rules against doing so. Silly to assume he or she didn't know that already
post #5081 of 5098 Old 03-19-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post

I just moved my trusty 4308CI from the basement HT to the family room - since the 4520CI is now down there.
In the family room it will power my 14 year old Atlantic Technology System 350's 5.1 set-up as your basic open floor pan family room set-up.
IMG_3562.JPG

After I ran the Audyssey XT the front R/L came back as Large, but the trim was set at +12db.
I changed them to small and set the xover at 80hz.
The center and surrounds both came back as small with 100hz xover.

Any reason why just the front R/L would come back with trim needing that much boost?
The center and surrounds came back with trims around +3db, the sub -1db, so all the others in their position came back "normal"

The speakers are all 4ohm, and it's a know fact the Denon 4308CI does not like to drive some 4ohm speakers.
Question:
Since this is only a 5.1 set-up, I could bi-amp the fronts for more power - there are un-used amps, should I do that? Would doing that help my mains then trim closer to 0db?
The audyssey setup guide is vague on what to do when speaker trims at +12db except saying go to ask audyssey. I could do that.
Most of the time the AVR will never be listened at reference 0db, but there is that possibly once in a while......
(I set volume limit at 0db so it can never go above that)
Here is the Atlantic Technology System 350's spec sheet.

What a beautiful cabin
post #5082 of 5098 Old 03-20-2014, 07:07 PM

Just now wanting to start listing to loss-less music files though my 4308ci. I don't have a player or a computer that can do the decoding so everything would need to go onto a flash drive, and then be plugged into the Denon via usb.

Only problem is I have no idea how to go about the process of downloading some loss-less music legally, and then getting the Denon to play it. I have never used the USB feature on the Denon before.

Can someone please give me a "loss-less music playing for dumbies" tutorial. Just enough info to get me started.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and some thumb drives.

Thanks much.
post #5083 of 5098 Old 03-20-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Galbavy View Post

I agree with this bit. Stop doing it!

I want to expand on this bit. 0dB is only reference level on a Denon if you have got the newer Dynamic EQ update and you have run Audyssey setup successfully. Then, 0dB should be reference level if your trims have been adjusted by the setup process within the +-12dB tolerances...

Dynamic EQ has nothing to do with this. the receiver comes equipped with Audyssey Multi EQ XT straight out of the box. if you calibrate your speakers using the Multi EQ XT exactly the way it is without any firmware updates or new feature purchases The Audyssey program will set your levels so that zero dB is reference. Again, Dynamic EQ is something different and has nothing to do with making the AVR capable of calibrating its speakers so that zero dB becomes reference level. the stock version of Audyssey that comes with the receiver straight from the factory will do this for you. you just need to make sure that you have the Audyssey turned on.
post #5084 of 5098 Old 03-29-2014, 04:31 PM

In the gui, select "manual setup"
scroll down to "audio setup"
scroll down to "2ch Direct/Stereo"
set the subw. Mode to "LFE+Main"

Changing the LFE level will have no effect whatsoever on the subwoofer level when in any kind of 2 channel output mode. Why? Because when you are in 2 channel mode there is NO LFE channel being output. Remember, LFE is not another word for Subwoofer. LFE refers to a separate channel of Low Frequency Effects that may or may not be output through a subwoofer depending upon the configuration of your mains. Adjusting the LFE level will only effect the level of the Low Frequency Effects channel, but will not lower the level of crossed over material being output from the subwoofer. Anything being output from the subwoofer during 2 channel listening (with a 2 channel source) is going to be signal that is crossed over from the mains, as there is no LFE signal. This is why when listening to a 2 channel source, using NO bass management, there will be no sound output to the subwoofer. There are 2 ways include the sub to the "party" here. Either set the mains to Small, and listen in Stereo. Or, listen in a Direct mode (no bass management) and set the subwoofer mode to "LFE+Main" in your 2 channel settings. In the first example, the mains play the upper half of the crossover, and the subwoofer will output the bottom side of the crossover. In the second example, where LFE+Main is set, a full signal will be send to the mains, while the sub gets a signal that goes as high as the LPF for LFE setting is set. You can adjust the LPF for LFE using the "Advanced" selection in the crossover settings menu.
post #5085 of 5098 Old 04-07-2014, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwest78 View Post

Just now wanting to start listing to loss-less music files though my 4308ci. I don't have a player or a computer that can do the decoding so everything would need to go onto a flash drive, and then be plugged into the Denon via usb.

Only problem is I have no idea how to go about the process of downloading some loss-less music legally, and then getting the Denon to play it. I have never used the USB feature on the Denon before.

Can someone please give me a "loss-less music playing for dumbies" tutorial. Just enough info to get me started.

I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop, and some thumb drives.

Thanks much.
You can rip CDs or DVDs using your laptop, rip to .wav or better for size .flac. Drag the files to a USB stick, insert into the Denon and select NET/USB and cursor down to the tracks you want to play. The Denon will only play CD quality rips, it will not play 24/96 or higher from the USB only from HDMI (a WDLiveTV is a cheap way to play these files through your Denon)
post #5086 of 5098 Old 06-09-2014, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am experiencing an odd issue with Amazon FireTV: I cannot get HDMI audio to play on the Denon.

If I plug the FireTV directly into the TV, audio and video come through fine. But if I plug the HDMI into the Denon, I only get video.

If I take that HDMI cable out of the FireTV and plug it into another source, I get audio and video, thus eliminating any setting or cable issues.

Has anyone experienced a similar issue? For now, I'm using the optical audio output which is fine since there isn't any high-res audio coming through, but I want to fix the issue to free up the optical input.

Thanks!
post #5087 of 5098 Old 06-09-2014, 08:27 AM
585-645-1006

^^
What app are you trying to play and what audio is being passed? If Netflix and trying to pass DD+, there is an issue with this which must be resolved with a firmware update although so far the update has only made it back to the 2011 models.

post #5088 of 5098 Old 06-09-2014, 01:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Guys, I haven't been to these boards in years (since the Blu-ray vs. HD DVD threads)!  I have a few problems with my Denon 4308CI which I recently updated (it was in storage for + four years) to:

Firmware:   Main:    2.07

Sub:     1.11

DSP1: 36.61

DSP2: 39.49

Problem 1. I am having trouble displaying Surround Speakers A on the monitor and hearing Surround L and R..  All it shows is SW, FL, Center, and FR; no Surround R or Surround L.  When I did the Auto Speaker Setup it recognized all speakers with test tones and configured and memorized.  I watch HD TV via AT & T U-verse.  The monitor does not display Dolby Digital as it once did while viewing HD programs (television).  Blu-ray it shows Dolby True HD and DTS Master when appropriate.  Where do i even find Dolby Digital as a surround option in the receiver?

BIGGER PROBLEM

Problem 2.  I used to have very good Audessey settings.  Now when I try to set Audessey EQ I get a terrible screeching when I have selected Audessey, Dynamic EQ, and Dynamic Volume.  The only clean audio is when EQ is set to Manual and Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume is set to OFF.  As a former AVS regular contributor PLEASE HELP. 

Glad to be back!

Jim Kilbane

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #5089 of 5098 Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Perform a microprocessor reset (p. 60 Owner's manual) and then do another Audyssey calibration.

post #5090 of 5098 Old 06-09-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

jdsmoothie,

Thank you for your response.  I did the microprocessor reset as well as the Audyssey calibration.  I can actually set to "Audyssey" now instead of "Manual" but still can not set dynamic volume and dynamic EQ to "ON" without screeching from ALL speakers.  All speakers are now showing on the 4308CI monitor but no sound from the Surround R speaker.  I do get sound from Surround R speaker during Speaker Auto Setup but not during Play of various devices.

Thanks.

Jim

Chad Billheimer rocks as a ISF Calibrator for Ohio.
Roller Coaster season is upon us. Proud member of American Coaster Enthusiasts (ACE) Woodies Rule!
post #5091 of 5098 Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
^^
What app are you trying to play and what audio is being passed? If Netflix and trying to pass DD+, there is an issue with this which must be resolved with a firmware update although so far the update has only made it back to the 2011 models.
I get nothing from any source playing on the Fire TV, not even the audible clicks of navigating around the menus. I turned off DD+ over HDMI in the menu but that didn't help. Only get audio through optical through the 4308 - otherwise, HDMI audio works fine when connected directly to TV. Very strange. Thanks!
post #5092 of 5098 Old 07-14-2014, 10:44 AM

Liked: 0
Gentlemen... I have the 4308 and have never used it to it's potential. I've reno'd the basement and I'm ready to use this thing properly! So my problem is with the network/wifi. If I use the wifi to log into my network it works for a while but then freezes up... and requires a reboot. (This is both DLNA music and internet stations selected from the receiver etc) The signal is strong, the router is fairly new and no other wireless devices drop connections. While using the wifi I am able to use DLNA programs from my cell phone to play music. I am also able to use Android apps as a remote control. So while setting up downstairs again, I ran an ethernet cable directly to my router. Now while playing from "media server" it no longer freezes... however now the Android remote programs don't work and the receiver does not show up on DLNA programs as an option anymore. Can't I get the best of both?
post #5093 of 5098 Old 07-14-2014, 11:53 AM
585-645-1006

No reason both shouldn't work. Try rebooting all devices in question .. router, AVR (just unplug power for 10 minutes), phones, etc.

post #5094 of 5098 Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Someone is selling this online and I was thinking of getting it, I'm still checking how much. I currently have the 2809CI, I assume this is much better model?

Is this capable of 9.1 or more with update?

Last edited by BRAISKI; 08-14-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #5095 of 5098 Old 08-14-2014, 01:31 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Capped at 7.1 although capable of two sets of side surrounds. You would be better served putting the funds into a newer model with Audyssey MultEQ XT32 (eg. X4000 or X4100W) as the 2809CI uses the same version of MultEQ XT as does the 4308CI. Also both X4000 and X4100W are expandable to 9.2 with an external 2CH amp.

post #5096 of 5098 Old 08-14-2014, 03:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAISKI View Post
Someone is selling this online and I was thinking of getting it, I'm still checking how much. I currently have the 2809CI, I assume this is much better model?

Is this capable of 9.1 or more with update?
I am putting mine up on ebay/craigslist this weekend. Moving into a new home and looking to add Atmos and 4k to my new receiver.
post #5097 of 5098 Old 08-14-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
OK.

My mother in law bought my kids a Hello kitty karaoke machine that of course has crap composite video/audio outs.

I have the RCA/composite cables hooked into the front AUX inputs on my 4308ci, and I get sound, but no video.

Can the 4308ci pass composite video out to my TV via HDMI?

My kids are going nuts, and it's making me nuts now because of it!
post #5098 of 5098 Old 08-15-2014, 02:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docj04 View Post
My mother in law bought my kids a Hello kitty karaoke machine that of course has crap composite video/audio outs.

I have the RCA/composite cables hooked into the front AUX inputs on my 4308ci, and I get sound, but no video.

Can the 4308ci pass composite video out to my TV via HDMI?

My kids are going nuts, and it's making me nuts now because of it!
I'm not in front of my 4308, but I think it can do this. Drill down into the "i/p scaler" (video processing) part of the receiver's HDMI menu. I seem to recall there's a setting to enable "A to H" video processing, meaning analog to HDMI.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page