The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #5191 of 5205 Old 11-25-2015, 01:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonka79 View Post
I don't need a conversion, the reason I want to use the component output is due to the fact that my HDMI board is fried.
I intend to use it purely as an amplifier, but I have problems configuring it correctly. I believe having access to OSD menus would make it easier to configure it.

So, do I need to make certain setup changes to make the 4308 output video(menus) through the component output?
its usual to use the composit video to adjust settings, its always visible regardles of output settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5205 Old 12-10-2015, 05:06 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I purchased this receiver back when it was new in 2007 or 2008 and I think this is the 1st time I thought to ask a question here, man have I been dense .

I just upgraded to a 3D TV and DVD player and the receiver wouldn't pass the 3d signal. I was able to bypass the receiver by running the HDMI directly from my BR player to the TV and then used the optical output of the TV to pass sound to the receiver (which is also how I pass audio from OTA TV and streaming content). I'm pretty sure in the 8 years I've owned the Denon I've never upgraded the firmware. Since I've never had a problem before I never saw the need -- is 3D functionality available via a firmware upgrade? I saw another user post a few months ago about a similar problem so my hopes are low. If not, is my wiring solution the best way to go? My BR player only has 1 HDMI out, so I don't have the option of running separate HDMI to both the TV and receiver.

I played a 3D movie last night and had no issues with sound and picture being properly synced; however, it was really annoying to cut all my cable ties and accidentally unplug my sub-woofer preout while moving the HDMI from the receiver (deeply buried in an entertainment center) to the BR player. Just don't want to tie everything up again and realize there's a better solution and have to go through the hassle of spelunking behind my entertainment center again.
post #5193 of 5205 Old 12-10-2015, 06:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 179 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9739 Post(s)
Liked: 4521
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdunkel View Post
I purchased this receiver back when it was new in 2007 or 2008 and I think this is the 1st time I thought to ask a question here, man have I been dense .

I just upgraded to a 3D TV and DVD player and the receiver wouldn't pass the 3d signal. I was able to bypass the receiver by running the HDMI directly from my BR player to the TV and then used the optical output of the TV to pass sound to the receiver (which is also how I pass audio from OTA TV and streaming content). I'm pretty sure in the 8 years I've owned the Denon I've never upgraded the firmware. Since I've never had a problem before I never saw the need -- is 3D functionality available via a firmware upgrade? I saw another user post a few months ago about a similar problem so my hopes are low. If not, is my wiring solution the best way to go? My BR player only has 1 HDMI out, so I don't have the option of running separate HDMI to both the TV and receiver.

I played a 3D movie last night and had no issues with sound and picture being properly synced; however, it was really annoying to cut all my cable ties and accidentally unplug my sub-woofer preout while moving the HDMI from the receiver (deeply buried in an entertainment center) to the BR player. Just don't want to tie everything up again and realize there's a better solution and have to go through the hassle of spelunking behind my entertainment center again.
1. No, rather 3D was first introduced with the hardware upgrade from HDMI 1.3 on your 4308 to HDMI 1.4 on the 2010 and newer models.
2. If the BD player is able to output audio over the optical output connection as well as pass HDMI video to the TV, make the optical connection from it to the 4308 as doing so will allow DD/DTS 5.1 audio to pass, as the connection from the TV is likely only passing PCM 2.0.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #5194 of 5205 Old 12-10-2015, 08:03 AM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. No, rather 3D was first introduced with the hardware upgrade from HDMI 1.3 on your 4308 to HDMI 1.4 on the 2010 and newer models.
2. If the BD player is able to output audio over the optical output connection as well as pass HDMI video to the TV, make the optical connection from it to the 4308 as doing so will allow DD/DTS 5.1 audio to pass, as the connection from the TV is likely only passing PCM 2.0.
Thanks for the reply.

I just recently purchased a new Sony X850C. I'd hope it passes 5.1 via the tos link but I am not certain. I'll double check before I do cable ties again .
post #5195 of 5205 Old 02-17-2016, 08:12 AM

Liked: 0
I am gonna use the 4308CI, for my 4 in-ceiling speakers. Thats it. And they are all in the same room. The question is, is it possible program the unit, so it will start the two 'zones' automaticaly each time, or will i have to manually switch it on every time?
This could easily be solved with a 2 channel speaker with A+B button on, but i miss the ekstra power and ie the built in HD radio.
post #5196 of 5205 Old 02-27-2016, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 629
Press and hold the STATUS and RETURN buttons for at least 3 seconds.

Hey, I "lost" the GUI and volume display on my UHDTV, don't know why.
I tried Monitor out 1 and 2, neither will display the GUI or volume.
I went thru the menu options, seems it should display it.
also it's set to NTSC correctly, I toggled between NTSC<>PAL 3 times via press and hold the STATUS and RETURN buttons for at least 3 seconds to try and force a re-set if that mattered, no display of GUI.
Quote:
Symptom
Cause
Countermeasure
Page
The on-screen display does not appear.
• The format of the GUI and TV (NTSC or PAL) do not match.
• Match the format of the GUI and TV.
I've not touched this in years, it's just worked so I forgot ....
If you see something "wrong" let me know, or advise where else to look.
>>I'm trying to avoid a hard reset if possible, but if needed I'll do and re-run audyssey

Volume works fine, everything else switches fine as I go from input source (TV/Cable, Bluray, AppleTV, etc)

other settings .
. .

Last edited by mtbdudex; 02-27-2016 at 01:58 PM.
post #5197 of 5205 Old 02-28-2016, 03:22 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Hey, I "lost" the GUI and volume display on my UHDTV, don't know why.
I tried Monitor out 1 and 2, neither will display the GUI or volume.
I went thru the menu options, seems it should display it.
also it's set to NTSC correctly, I toggled between NTSC<>PAL 3 times via press and hold the STATUS and RETURN buttons for at least 3 seconds to try and force a re-set if that mattered, no display of GUI.
I've not touched this in years, it's just worked so I forgot ....
If you see something "wrong" let me know, or advise where else to look.
>>I'm trying to avoid a hard reset if possible, but if needed I'll do and re-run audyssey
Set the "Video Convert" setting to ON (p. 39 Owner's manual).

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
AV Science - Dealer for Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #5198 of 5205 Old 02-28-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Went thru the menus and it was set that way

I went thru the whole manual again, what else could cause this? A hard reset I'll do this weekend if can't be solved, as I've burned more time than a reset + audyssey calibration would have taken ......

post #5199 of 5205 Old 03-01-2016, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbdudex View Post
Went thru the menus and it was set that way

I went thru the whole manual again, what else could cause this? A hard reset I'll do this weekend if can't be solved, as I've burned more time than a reset + audyssey calibration would have taken ......

Connect a composite video RCA from amp to tv then setup on screen to suit your input.
post #5200 of 5205 Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 AM
AVS Special Member

^^ thx I'll try that this weekend

Via Mikes brain/thumb interface, LLAP
post #5201 of 5205 Old 04-23-2016, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Argh.....

After years of faithful service, both HDMI outputs on my 4308 are dead. The inputs are fine. Somehow, the failure managed to take out two of the three HDMI inputs on my Panasonic 65VT60.

A bit of research led me to this Monoprice 4x2 HDMI splitter to connect the TV and AVR. Unfortunately, the only way to get both going is to unplug the TV's HDMI cable, power everything on, then plug the TV into a hot HDMP port on the splitter. Then, after an hour of activity, the TV goes black with a no video input error message. The audio was unaffected.

I've tried just about every combination of cable swaps, power sequencing, button pressing, multiple cpu resets, etc. to get this to work. I'm thinking the root problem is the idiotic HDCP copy protection.

Has anyone been able to get something like this to work? Do I need a different HDMI splitter?

I am trying to hook up the VT60, 4308, DirecTV receiver, BDP-83, Roku3 and a Chromebox running Kodi via HDMI for the High Def audio. Running optical is the only other option at this time.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber, Faber College
post #5202 of 5205 Old 04-23-2016, 08:07 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by au-734 View Post
Argh.....

After years of faithful service, both HDMI outputs on my 4308 are dead. The inputs are fine. Somehow, the failure managed to take out two of the three HDMI inputs on my Panasonic 65VT60.

A bit of research led me to this Monoprice 4x2 HDMI splitter to connect the TV and AVR. Unfortunately, the only way to get both going is to unplug the TV's HDMI cable, power everything on, then plug the TV into a hot HDMP port on the splitter. Then, after an hour of activity, the TV goes black with a no video input error message. The audio was unaffected.

I've tried just about every combination of cable swaps, power sequencing, button pressing, multiple cpu resets, etc. to get this to work. I'm thinking the root problem is the idiotic HDCP copy protection.

Has anyone been able to get something like this to work? Do I need a different HDMI splitter?

I am trying to hook up the VT60, 4308, DirecTV receiver, BDP-83, Roku3 and a Chromebox running Kodi via HDMI for the High Def audio. Running optical is the only other option at this time.
Try connecting the following between the splitter and the TV --> https://www.hdfury.com/shop/otherhdf...dware/dr-hdmi/

------------

post #5203 of 5205 Old 05-10-2016, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try connecting the following between the splitter and the TV --> https://www.hdfury.com/shop/otherhdf...dware/dr-hdmi/
Thanks for the pointer, I just now ordered it from Monoprice.

If I can get another year or two out of the AVR before replacing it, I will be happy. I'm sure it has a lot of life left as a multichannel audio system. I'm thinking it would be a good platform for a whole house audio server.

Thanks for the advise!

(edit) JD, just remembered you goys sell stuff. Do you sell the HD Fury gear?

Last edited by au-734; 05-10-2016 at 01:14 PM.
post #5204 of 5205 Old 05-10-2016, 03:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by au-734 View Post
Argh.....

been using that switch for a number of years. Having said that, the first one that I got died about 10 months in so mono replaced it (paid shipping back to them). I actually run 2 4X2 switches (different makes) in my system that play ok. In my case, I used them to connect 4 displays. In general, I found the 4308 hdmi outputs to not be as "robust" as could be expected and some times do lose signals coming from it into the displays. I blame it on poor contacts in the connectors (the unit is old and hdmi female connectors on the back are not really that "tight" compared to other devices that I have seen).

Anyways, so you are saying that the audio coming out of the 4308 leg of the switch / splitter continues to work but the video on the other leg of the switch dies with the message. It seems unlikely that its HDCP after 1 hour as the "handshakes" are more often than that so they would fail sooner. My guess is some cable / connector issue somewhere.... maybe.

Of course, during your testing, you have run the scenario with the sources, switch, and sink / display only... no 4308 connected and it runs "forever"... right? AND you don't have to go thru any "weird" startup sequence to get it to work... right?

As suggested, the hdmi / optical out solution is a possibility. Further, I use a 4X2 switch WITH optical out. It works fine.

Further to the above, in terms of scenarios, what happens if on the switch, you select one source to go out to the 4308 and another source to go out to the display. Does the display keep functioning especially since you are now talking about two different signals that aren't connected in any shape or form and hence, no interactions except for the switch. If it doesn't work in this scenario, then it likely a switch issue (faulty) OR loading from the 4308 on the switch (doubtful but maybe).

Last edited by budwich; 05-10-2016 at 03:54 PM.
post #5205 of 5205 Old 05-31-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budwich View Post
been using that switch for a number of years. Having said that, the first one that I got died about 10 months in so mono replaced it (paid shipping back to them). I actually run 2 4X2 switches (different makes) in my system that play ok. In my case, I used them to connect 4 displays. In general, I found the 4308 hdmi outputs to not be as "robust" as could be expected and some times do lose signals coming from it into the displays. I blame it on poor contacts in the connectors (the unit is old and hdmi female connectors on the back are not really that "tight" compared to other devices that I have seen).

Anyways, so you are saying that the audio coming out of the 4308 leg of the switch / splitter continues to work but the video on the other leg of the switch dies with the message. It seems unlikely that its HDCP after 1 hour as the "handshakes" are more often than that so they would fail sooner. My guess is some cable / connector issue somewhere.... maybe.

Of course, during your testing, you have run the scenario with the sources, switch, and sink / display only... no 4308 connected and it runs "forever"... right? AND you don't have to go thru any "weird" startup sequence to get it to work... right?

As suggested, the hdmi / optical out solution is a possibility. Further, I use a 4X2 switch WITH optical out. It works fine.

Further to the above, in terms of scenarios, what happens if on the switch, you select one source to go out to the 4308 and another source to go out to the display. Does the display keep functioning especially since you are now talking about two different signals that aren't connected in any shape or form and hence, no interactions except for the switch. If it doesn't work in this scenario, then it likely a switch issue (faulty) OR loading from the 4308 on the switch (doubtful but maybe).
Yeah, not the cables or anything. Most likely caused by a lightning strike.

Anyway, the switch and Dr HDMI solved the original problem (Thanks JD!). Now the problem is HD audio. The Denon "sees" multichannel input, but only outputs stereo. I'm thinking the EDID data from the TV is to blame. The Dr HDMI device can store a custom EDID frame, but I've not been able to find anything so far that says how/where to change the frame to pass HD-audio.

Can someone point me in the right direction? I have no problems editing hex data. I guess I need to sign up for HDFury's tech support web site.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread