The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 174 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #5191 of 5194 Old 11-25-2015, 02:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonka79 View Post
I don't need a conversion, the reason I want to use the component output is due to the fact that my HDMI board is fried.
I intend to use it purely as an amplifier, but I have problems configuring it correctly. I believe having access to OSD menus would make it easier to configure it.

So, do I need to make certain setup changes to make the 4308 output video(menus) through the component output?
its usual to use the composit video to adjust settings, its always visible regardles of output settings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5192 of 5194 Old 12-10-2015, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I purchased this receiver back when it was new in 2007 or 2008 and I think this is the 1st time I thought to ask a question here, man have I been dense .

I just upgraded to a 3D TV and DVD player and the receiver wouldn't pass the 3d signal. I was able to bypass the receiver by running the HDMI directly from my BR player to the TV and then used the optical output of the TV to pass sound to the receiver (which is also how I pass audio from OTA TV and streaming content). I'm pretty sure in the 8 years I've owned the Denon I've never upgraded the firmware. Since I've never had a problem before I never saw the need -- is 3D functionality available via a firmware upgrade? I saw another user post a few months ago about a similar problem so my hopes are low. If not, is my wiring solution the best way to go? My BR player only has 1 HDMI out, so I don't have the option of running separate HDMI to both the TV and receiver.

I played a 3D movie last night and had no issues with sound and picture being properly synced; however, it was really annoying to cut all my cable ties and accidentally unplug my sub-woofer preout while moving the HDMI from the receiver (deeply buried in an entertainment center) to the BR player. Just don't want to tie everything up again and realize there's a better solution and have to go through the hassle of spelunking behind my entertainment center again.
post #5193 of 5194 Old 12-10-2015, 07:02 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7310 Post(s)
Liked: 3365
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdunkel View Post
I purchased this receiver back when it was new in 2007 or 2008 and I think this is the 1st time I thought to ask a question here, man have I been dense .

I just upgraded to a 3D TV and DVD player and the receiver wouldn't pass the 3d signal. I was able to bypass the receiver by running the HDMI directly from my BR player to the TV and then used the optical output of the TV to pass sound to the receiver (which is also how I pass audio from OTA TV and streaming content). I'm pretty sure in the 8 years I've owned the Denon I've never upgraded the firmware. Since I've never had a problem before I never saw the need -- is 3D functionality available via a firmware upgrade? I saw another user post a few months ago about a similar problem so my hopes are low. If not, is my wiring solution the best way to go? My BR player only has 1 HDMI out, so I don't have the option of running separate HDMI to both the TV and receiver.

I played a 3D movie last night and had no issues with sound and picture being properly synced; however, it was really annoying to cut all my cable ties and accidentally unplug my sub-woofer preout while moving the HDMI from the receiver (deeply buried in an entertainment center) to the BR player. Just don't want to tie everything up again and realize there's a better solution and have to go through the hassle of spelunking behind my entertainment center again.
1. No, rather 3D was first introduced with the hardware upgrade from HDMI 1.3 on your 4308 to HDMI 1.4 on the 2010 and newer models.
2. If the BD player is able to output audio over the optical output connection as well as pass HDMI video to the TV, make the optical connection from it to the 4308 as doing so will allow DD/DTS 5.1 audio to pass, as the connection from the TV is likely only passing PCM 2.0.

------------
"JD" - Call 585-645-1006 or email jd@avscience.com for AVR selection and pricing discussion 8am - 8pm EST daily (incl Sat/Sun)
Authorized dealer: Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atl Tech, SVS, Oppo

Think you have a defective AVR? Owner's manual - Factory reset 4-5 times in a row.
post #5194 of 5194 Old 12-10-2015, 09:03 AM

Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
1. No, rather 3D was first introduced with the hardware upgrade from HDMI 1.3 on your 4308 to HDMI 1.4 on the 2010 and newer models.
2. If the BD player is able to output audio over the optical output connection as well as pass HDMI video to the TV, make the optical connection from it to the 4308 as doing so will allow DD/DTS 5.1 audio to pass, as the connection from the TV is likely only passing PCM 2.0.
Thanks for the reply.

I just recently purchased a new Sony X850C. I'd hope it passes 5.1 via the tos link but I am not certain. I'll double check before I do cable ties again .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page