The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I also have an airport extreme for my router but am running windows xp for people having trouble connecting their networks is this a router problem or mac problem...and has anyone been successful connecting to the network via the airport extreme this thing wasnt cheap and its going to blow having to buy a new router to use the wifi feature
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel_Fish View Post

What about the network.. ever get the wireless working?

I gave up. I ended up plugging in direct. I made a long cable just for this purpose and roll it up and put it away.

Im happy with the sound and features from the Denon. Any relatively new product on the market is expected to have a few bugs. Im sure things will only get better over time. I see no reason to avoid buying the Denon its a great receiver.
post #543 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
AVS Club Gold

I forgot to mention if your source is not encrypted ( no HDCP ) such as my HTPC the on screen menu does not work.
post #544 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 03:04 PM

I had a recurrence of the PS3 synch issue again last night. The PS3 is connected via HDMI 1 (DVD). The picture flickered on and off a few times while watching a DVD, but the sound was not interrupted.

I turned off the PS3 and watched the movie using my cheapo DVD player connected via HDMI 2 (HDP), and never saw rthe flicker.

I also had a USB drive attached and on when the flickering happened, and turned that off as well.

The flicker did not happen anymore, however I changed too many variables to be sure what is happening.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is the USB drive, since I have had several other issues with USB (grey screen, lost GUI and USB not being recognized).

By the way, the DVD player was outputting 480P NTSC and being upscaled to 1080p by the receiver and it looked really good. No issues with jaggies or macroblocking that I could tell. Also did really well with a PAL DVD, also 480p. It is an upconvert DVD player, but I haven't tested it at720p->1080p or 1080i->1080p yet.
post #545 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
350z,

you've got it right.

Vetboy

The average dog is a nicer person than the average person
post #546 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
I had initially ranted about how I disliked the main remote. Right after posting my rant on the remote in my brief review on the 4308, I tried working with it a bit more and read a bit more in the manual. It then became a moment where the "light went on" and it all made sense. I now use the remote for the receiver itself, my cable box, and tv.

I also tried using my pc through internet explorer to control the 4308 as another poster mentioned he did with his laptop and it is a cool feature as well.

I really am enjoying the receiver and have no issues such as handshaking or any bugs.
post #547 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 06:40 PM

Regarding that annoying bug withe disappearing GUI...

This seems to work; go to Manual Setup, Options, GUI, NET/USB, and then select Always for the option to keep the on screen display visible (as opposed to 30 secs, etc.).
post #548 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 07:06 PM

just tried the web browser control and it works. I don't know why, but that is just the coolest thing. I sort of had an evil laugh thinking of the tricks I can play with friends.
post #549 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 07:15 PM

Just got the 4308 and downloading the latest firmware.

The display reads:

Top Line: Firm Update V (where the V looks like an arrow pointing down)
Bottom: Latest Firmware

Does this mean it's done or that it's still in process? The book says to wait until it says "Updating Complete"? The light around the power button is red and the menu doesnt show up and it doesnt respond to button pushes. I'm afraid to push the power button for fear of messing up a download in process...
post #550 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2clark View Post

I had a recurrence of the PS3 synch issue again last night. The PS3 is connected via HDMI 1 (DVD). The picture flickered on and off a few times while watching a DVD, but the sound was not interrupted.

I turned off the PS3 and watched the movie using my cheapo DVD player connected via HDMI 2 (HDP), and never saw rthe flicker.

I also had a USB drive attached and on when the flickering happened, and turned that off as well.

The flicker did not happen anymore, however I changed too many variables to be sure what is happening.

The more I think about it, the more I am convinced it is the USB drive, since I have had several other issues with USB (grey screen, lost GUI and USB not being recognized).

By the way, the DVD player was outputting 480P NTSC and being upscaled to 1080p by the receiver and it looked really good. No issues with jaggies or macroblocking that I could tell. Also did really well with a PAL DVD, also 480p. It is an upconvert DVD player, but I haven't tested it at720p->1080p or 1080i->1080p yet.

j2clark,

so you have your DVD player connected through HDMI correct? can you try passing 480i instead of 480p to the receiver and compare the denon's de-interlacer with your DVD player's?

apparently only the Denon and the new high end Yamaha can upscale/de-interlace HDMI signals. not the Sony, not the Onkyo, even with its REON. thats a huge plus many people don't realize.

since most xbox360 games are native 720p, i'm curious about Denon's upscaling being better than the 360's internal scaler too. anyone with an Elite care to a/b compare?

thanks. enjoy your new toys.
post #551 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM

I don't know where you got your info but the Onkyo does upscale/deinterlace HDMI signals. You are correct about the Sony, however.

The Onkyo does a pretty good job also, especially the 905 where you have more control over Reon features that the 875 apparently doesn't offer.

I can't wait for a A/B comparison of the 4308 and the 905.
post #552 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber View Post

I don't know where you got your info but the Onkyo does upscale/deinterlace HDMI signals. You are correct about the Sony, however.

The Onkyo does a pretty good job also, especially the 905 where you have more control over Reon features that the 875 apparently doesn't offer.

page 54 from the 905's manual, did i misintrepret the graph showing upconversion for only analog signals and passthrough only for hdmi?
post #553 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber View Post

I am looking forward to seeing how the networking of both devices compare?
post #554 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyeredup77 View Post

I also have an airport extreme for my router but am running windows xp for people having trouble connecting their networks is this a router problem or mac problem...and has anyone been successful connecting to the network via the airport extreme this thing wasnt cheap and its going to blow having to buy a new router to use the wifi feature

I am selling my Airport Extreme Base Station on ebay and it will be more than enough to pay for a new router that will work. I have a Mac, a PC, the Denon and the PS3 and the Linksys works great. I am sure pretty much any other brand would work well too.
post #555 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illdefined View Post

page 54 from the 905's manual, did i misintrepret the graph showing upconversion for only analog signals and passthrough only for hdmi?

It's been a while since I read that manual, but I'd guess you did misinterpret it. The Onkyo's will clearly upscale and deinterlace ANY source (except 1080p of course). Lots of people on that thread are inputting 480i/p, 720p, 1080i through HDMI from various sources and outputting to 1080p. It is performing very well. Both the 875 and the 905 will do this, although the 905 currently offers more control of the Reon.
post #556 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCgrp View Post

This seems to work; go to Manual Setup, Options, GUI, NET/USB, and then select Always for the option to keep the on screen display visible (as opposed to 30 secs, etc.).

I had the GUI go out on me today as well and had to do a power off and back on, not just standby off.

Here is my thinking on problems and glitches with today's electronics. So many of them are virtually PC's. They have chips, processors, HDD's etc. When PC's have a bug or conflict, screen savers being one of the worst culprits, we have to reboot.

I think we are seeing and experiencing the same thing with today's electronics. I have the PS3 and it too is a PC for all intensive purposes. My cell phone and BT wireless headset need to be rebooted at times as well.

I am not justifying or defending Denon or any manufacturer for these problems and realize firmware updates may help, but these problems we are encountering are going to be common place, I believe. The more crap we want and they put into these boxes, the more conflicts are inherent.

I decided to shut off the screen saver as I do on all my PC's and also do the always on as KDCgrp suggested. I also shut off the power saving feature under network, thinking it too may lead to or be causing conflicts.
post #557 of 5098 Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Ya, but how long have all the people owned their 3808/4308 and they are noticing so many gliches? How would Denon not know about these gliches and correct them before manufacture..........WHY would they NOT know about AND correct the gliches. I bet you that the Yamaha units work without gliches.
post #558 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 12:09 AM

Quote:

Ron, I have not yet setup my 2nd Zone connections, but this is how I believe the 4308 will handle multi-zone audio:

Analog Input Source -> Zone2/3 Audio Output
Digital (Coax/Toslink) PCM 2-ch Input Source -> Zone2/3 Audio Output
Digital (HDMI) Input Source -> No Multi-Zone

Once again many thanks John

Ron
post #559 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 12:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDCgrp View Post

I wish that I could do that, but I have a Plasma. The NET/USB is such a high contrast (white on black), if I left it on to long, it would cause image retention.
post #560 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 03:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

j2clark,
... apparently only the Denon and the new high end Yamaha can upscale/de-interlace HDMI signals. not the Sony, not the Onkyo, even with its REON. thats a huge plus many people don't realize. ...

Really? I was under the impression that the Reon could de-interlace 1080i on the Onkyo
post #561 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 04:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

Ya, but how long have all the people owned their 3808/4308 and they are noticing so many gliches? How would Denon not know about these gliches and correct them before manufacture..........WHY would they NOT know about AND correct the gliches. I bet you that the Yamaha units work without gliches.

I doubt it. Either way, with Firmware updates issues like these can be repaired.
post #562 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 05:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post

Really? I was under the impression that the Reon could de-interlace 1080i on the Onkyo

I don't have the manual in front of me but no one on the 905 thread is having problems with this, including me. For 1080p signals, the Reon will simply pass it through untouched. For others, like 1080i, 720p, etc., you can set what kind of output through the Reon, including up to 1080p. I personally set the output to 1080i, since I have a "fake" 1080p tv that only takes 1080i but then deinterlaces
post #563 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKR1963 View Post

What's the bet. I'd take it.
post #564 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
This was posted in the 3808CI Thread:

The RC-7000CI Remote and base station:
"Furthermore, when connected to select new Denon A/V Receivers and systems, the RC-7001RCI makes two-way communication possible providing system status feedback to the RC-7000CI. This includes volume, surround mode and even full meta-data of media connected to the Denon component, including iPod, Internet Radio or XM Radio. "

http://news.ecoustics.com/bbs/messag...81/373638.html

Now that is some nice functionality! AND another reason I went with Denon.....
post #565 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 09:01 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachurch View Post

Just got the 4308 and downloading the latest firmware.

The display reads:

Top Line: Firm Update V (where the V looks like an arrow pointing down)
Bottom: Latest Firmware

Does this mean it's done or that it's still in process? The book says to wait until it says "Updating Complete"? The light around the power button is red and the menu doesnt show up and it doesnt respond to button pushes. I'm afraid to push the power button for fear of messing up a download in process...

Sorry no one responded and I am late as well. When I ran the update and after it was done if I remember correct the display read two lines. Top said update complete and bottom said Latest version. Yes my power button was red and the receiver would not respond to any commands.
I had to power cycle the unit to bring back to operating mode again. We have no way to know if the up date took place because the software version does not show anywere.
post #566 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:

j2clark,

so you have your DVD player connected through HDMI correct? can you try passing 480i instead of 480p to the receiver and compare the denon's de-interlacer with your DVD player's?

apparently only the Denon and the new high end Yamaha can upscale/de-interlace HDMI signals. not the Sony, not the Onkyo, even with its REON. thats a huge plus many people don't realize.

since most xbox360 games are native 720p, i'm curious about Denon's upscaling being better than the 360's internal scaler too. anyone with an Elite care to a/b compare?

thanks. enjoy your new toys.

DVD is connected via HDMI. I only have the option to output from DVD at 480p, 720p and 1080p. The Denon did a really fine job in every case.
post #567 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 09:47 AM

I had both my KDS-50A2000 and audio setup calibrated last night by Jeff from AccuCal. A 5 hour ordeal!

A few results:

Apparently Audessey did a pretty bad job (user error?). I had been very careful in my setup, used all eight reference positions and placed the microphone exactly at ear level.
While it sounded really fantastic to me after running Audessey, after calibration the sound was mind boggling. I get shivers just thinking about how good it sounded.
I can't wait to show it off to my friends!

I posted a couple of times earlier about PS3 picture flickering (No one else is having this problem!?!)
By changing the PS3 output to 1080i the problem vanished! Not in a million years would it have occurred to me to try such a thing.
Not totally convinced this was the problem, we set it back to output 1080p and the problem came back immediately.
Jeff's theory is it has something to do with bandwidth (which made sense to me), but I would imagine that everyone using any type of BluRay or HD-DVD player would see this problem if this were the case.
Perhaps I have a faulty processor since no one else has reported this problem. I plan on calling Denon support regarding this issue.

Jeff sees a lot of equipment over the course of a year, and he was very impressed with the Denon and its flexibility and features sound and video scaling.
post #568 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Jeff sees a lot of equipment over the course of a year, and he was very impressed with the Denon and its flexibility and features sound and video scaling.

That is very encouraging.. My store is still waiting for me to pick my unit up.. lol

-------------------------------
My Setup Slideshow
post #569 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 10:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I had both my KDS-50A2000 and audio setup calibrated last night by Jeff from AccuCal. A 5 hour ordeal!

A few results:

Apparently Audessey did a pretty bad job (user error?). I had been very careful in my setup, used all eight reference positions and placed the microphone exactly at ear level.
While it sounded really fantastic to me after running Audessey, after calibration the sound was mind boggling. I get shivers just thinking about how good it sounded.
I can't wait to show it off to my friends!

I posted a couple of times earlier about PS3 picture flickering (No one else is having this problem!?!)
By changing the PS3 output to 1080i the problem vanished! Not in a million years would it have occurred to me to try such a thing.
Not totally convinced this was the problem, we set it back to output 1080p and the problem came back immediately.
Jeff's theory is it has something to do with bandwidth (which made sense to me), but I would imagine that everyone using any type of BluRay or HD-DVD player would see this problem if this were the case.
Perhaps I have a faulty processor since no one else has reported this problem. I plan on calling Denon support regarding this issue.

That is interesting about the PS3. Shouldn't the Denon just be passing along the PS3's 1080p signal? Not sure why the processor would be doing anything with it.

I have also sent you a PM about AccuCal. Thanks!
post #570 of 5098 Old 08-10-2007, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Gouger View Post

Sorry no one responded and I am late as well. When I ran the update and after it was done if I remember correct the display read two lines. Top said update complete and bottom said Latest version. Yes my power button was red and the receiver would not respond to any commands.
I had to power cycle the unit to bring back to operating mode again. We have no way to know if the up date took place because the software version does not show anywere.

Thanks Alan. I'm glad you responded, cause the receiver was still in the same mode after being like that all night. I just powered off and back on again and the OSD comes up, so hopefully it worked.

Now to run it through its paces. I am replacing a 3801 and the 3801 seemed heavier to me, although the output is rated lower.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page