The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2007, 04:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I setup streaming on the 4308, and I can provide a few preliminary answers to questions that I saw on various posts.

1.) There is no special Denon PC Client software required. The 4308 is a PlaysForSure device, and requires Windows Media Player 10 or 11. You first turn on Library Sharing in Windows Media Player. Then you should get a pop-up asking if you want to allow the 4308 to share your media. After you allow the 4308 access, you select the NET/USB source on the 4308 and your PC should appear in the list. When you select your PC from the GUI, you will see your Music, Picture and Playlist media categories. From there you can go into the category and see the files.

2.) The 4308 will stream Music and display Pictures. Unfortunately, no video streaming. Interestingly, the 4308 sees my NAS Server as a streaming source. When I select it from the GUI, and go into the categories, I can see all of my Music, Picture AND Video files. Unfortunately, when I try to stream any file from my NAS box, the Denon throws up a "Server Error". I'm still trying to determine all of the file types it supports but so far MP3, FLAC, WMA and JPG seem to work okay.

3.) The GUI does display cover art when streaming. I attached a few pictures of the GUI below.

4.) Internet Radio is supported, but I have not gotten that to work yet. It uses the vTuner service at www.radiodenon.com. You log into the service using the MAC address of the 4308. It requires that the 4308 initiate the first connect with the service to download a list of available stations. From there you manage your choices through the radiodenon site. Problem is, the 4308 will not connect with the service. No errors or anything - it just goes out into limbo or a minute or so and then returns to the main menu on the GUI. I tried changing the DNS settings, and few other network things, but no luck. I'll probably fire up Ethereal in morning to try and see if its even trying to send something out.

Those are the only questions that I remember seeing. Let me know if you have any others.

... Sorry about the dark pictures, but flash doesn't work well against the plasma screen.
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Thanks for sharing this information with us.

1. Only the high-end Denons and Onkyo 905 have HD radio. How is it? If the internet radio is not working so well, do you find the HD radio works well and is clearer than traditional radio? I ask because this is one of the features pulling me from the 3808 toward the 4308.

2. Does the ethernet connection also link to you to Denon for firmware updates, or is it all just home networking? Are we getting to the point where even receivers now have firmware updates ?

3. I see that you have lots of components in your A/V rack. So do I. Do you find that you find that you have already used all 4 HDMI inputs? I ask because the Sony DA5300ES has 6 HDMIs for under 2k. I think I might prefer those to HD radio and ethernet.

If you would explain why you made those choices, I would be very curious to hear. I intend to get that Sony, an Onkyo, or one of the Denons soon.

Thank you.

Samsung UN75F8000 TV
Marantz 1504 AVR, with iPhone 6 Airplay
Bose Acoustimass 6 speakers (5.1)
Xbox One
Playstation 3
Logitech Harmony One (still the best remote Logitech ever made!)
Old 07-28-2007, 06:35 AM

I'd be curious of what features lead you to buy a 4308 over the 3808. I'm ready to purchase but torn, and mainly because of the $1000 price diff!!! And though my 19 years of marriage doesn't match your 26, I do still know the importance of the WAF and want to make sure I have all my ammo!!

A previous poster mentioned that the the 3808 didn't do streaming. I thought the 3808 and 4308 both did streaming. Do you know the answer to this? The early specs I saw said something about both doing streaming but the 3808 not doing JPEG. ??
Old 07-28-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Have you tried to run an ipod through the Denon? I was wondering how well the "Compressed Audio Restorer" works.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:03 AM

Could one of you lucky owners plug a NTFS USB HDD into the 4308 and let us know if it supports it please? The owners manual posted on Denon's site says only FAT 16 and 32 file systems are supported on USB devices, but I'm hoping this is an error (along with the error in the manual about only supporting wma files with bit rate up to 192 kbps). For those of use with hundreds of gigs of WMA lossless files, FAT 32 devices just won't cut it. Thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 08:23 AM

Congratulations John on your purchase, you are one lucky Dvrdude!

And to all you other guys in the US, you think you are having to be patient waiting a couple of weeks at the most to get your 4308, in Europe where I'm writing from, it will probably be September at the earliest before I will be able to get my hands on one.

Just one question John if I may. I am most interested in the internet radio, which from reading your post you haven't got working yet, but when you do I would like to know if you can store favourite URLs or are only limited to the stations provided by the Denon network. I have a Slimdevices squeezebox V3 at present on which I can login to my squeezenetwork account and manage the various radio feeds, add or delete as I wish. Just wondering if the 4308 will also offer this feature.

Thank you

Ron

Ps. liked your Avsetup photo you sent - including the plants (from the wife!)
Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRDude View Post

I setup streaming on the 4308, and I can provide a few preliminary answers to questions that I saw on various posts.

Are you connected Wirelessly or through Ethernet?

-------------------------------
My Setup Slideshow
Old 07-28-2007, 10:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Q. If you are streaming music via the network function..... can you view a TV channel while listening to the music?

If so, what remote buttons are used to achieve this? See attachment, it would appear that on page 39 you can select Input for NET, and then under #7 video other select the TV for viewing....correct...unless you have HDMI input for TV source...I guess.
LL
Old 07-28-2007, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babel_Fish View Post

Are you connected Wirelessly or through Ethernet?

I'm connected wired. Its either or. If you have a CAT-5 cable connected to the receiver when you power it up, it defaults to wired - no cable connected, the wireless settings are available.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

I'll be out and about at a kiddo event until late this afternoon. I'll try and get to the other questions when I get back.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:36 AM
Advanced Member

I'd also like to know 3 things:

1. How is the HD radio (quality/reception, etc.)?
2. How is the iPod and Compressed Audio Restorer?
3. Can it stream via iTunes?
Old 07-28-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:

I'll be out and about at a kiddo event until late this afternoon. I'll try and get to the other questions when I get back.

Geez. This guy puts family and kids before us and his new toy. Get your priorities straight...

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this info and to answer questions for us. Your fortune (and somewhat misfortune) of getting the first one is a help to the rest of us. Your generosity is not overlooked!!

Enjoy the time with your kid and don't let us bug you too much!!
Old 07-28-2007, 12:44 PM

2.) The 4308 will stream Music and display Pictures. Unfortunately, no video streaming.

This makes the WiFi worthless to me, I thought I read it would stream things like .avi files for music videos etc. Will it stream them over a direct cat5 cable?
Old 07-28-2007, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Alright, add me to the mix now. I am doing my set up as I write this. I bought the iPod attachment and it seems to work and sound great. The network connection was easy and it saw my Apple WPA Network right away. I have not had a chance to see about the Internet radio or anything else just yet but I will get there. I will say this before I leave, my Vizio (crappy Plasma) has never looked so good on the stations I normally watch. Interesting, there are 5 steps to do your set up and step one found I had 3 speakers out of phase, it gave me time to fix them and then I went into Step 2. Step 2 was having me move the microphone around to all 8 positions (I used my tripod to help me get this exactly right. Step 3 is calculating the data set during step 2 to try and find the perfect imaging. Step 4 checks the processing results and Step 5 stores the information.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 PM
Advanced Member

Congratulations DenonLover. Let us know how the HD and SD looks, and also do you think the deinterlacing 1080i to 1080p is good.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

How much heat does the 4308 put out and can you hear the fan(s)?
I'm wondering how much heat this thing puts off compared to my DVR (minimal) or PS3 (a lot).
Old 07-28-2007, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Please understand before we go any further that I am not well versed in all of the terminology but I will explain things the best I can. For starters I own a different TV right now. The SD is a night and day difference for what I normally see. The colors are also much brighter and more vibrant on my HD channels. Some of this could be the fact I was using the component and now I have moved over to HDMI. The receiver on the top front is cool to the touch and in the back it is warm to the touch. I do not hear any fans on and I am playing a DVD Audio as we speak now. There is a lot of room around the receiver and I get the feeling heat will not be an issue. I no longer need to turn the volume up as high as I did with my Denon 1803 and the sound quality is much clearer than it ever was in the past. My speakers are cheap and I get the sense that they are being pushed much harder because they sound better than they ever have in the past.

I am reading about some of the internet radio options right now in hopes I will get that working next.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

I asked this in another Denon thread, perhaps one of the owners might know?

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11149482

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...&#post11149613
Old 07-28-2007, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

ATTN: 4308CI Manual Readers!

I am trying to determine how on the 4308 the video output is selected.

I would like to take my Cable TV (component in) to the AVR with component out to my HDTV component in. I will have picture adjustments for color level in the HDTV in this manner. No concern about scaling as my SA8300HD will passthru all signals as is to the HDTV (Panny 65" 1080p Pro), which does very well with scaling/deinterlacing...as far as the HQV tests show anyway.

I will also connect my Tosh XA2 (HDMI 1080p) to the AVR for HDMI out passthru to the DVI port on the HDTV. No color adjustment via DVI on the HDTV, but the XA2 has picture adjustments in its menu, so I am fine.

I have looked at page 30 of the 4308 manual and see "Monitor Out". This is under the HDMI Setup, so it appears it only applies to HDMI. But I see on the back of the 4308 Monitor 1 and 2 for HDMI, but also for Component Out! So, if this is set to "auto" should I expect to have my Component In from the Cable STB go directly to the Component Out?

And will then the XA2 HDMI in go out to the HDMI out?

OR is there another way to select the OUTPUT for a given input?

This is really over my head or I would try and answer. I just started plugging in items in the rear of the receiver and used the on screen programing to tell it which video to use and which audio to use. It was all very easy to do. I wish I could have been more help....
Old 07-28-2007, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

How much heat does the 4308 put out and can you hear the fan(s)?
I'm wondering how much heat this thing puts off compared to my DVR (minimal) or PS3 (a lot).

The 4308 case gets somewhat warm. My rack is open in the fron and back, and I left about 1 1/2" of clearance above the receiver. I watched a movie (loudly) last night, and at the end it was pretty warm. I might be concerned if I had an enclosed rack. Maybe DenonLover can chime in when he gets his up and running.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

This is really over my head or I would try and answer. I just started plugging in items in the rear of the receiver and used the on screen programing to tell it which video to use and which audio to use. It was all very easy to do. I wish I could have been more help....

Hey DenonLover, welcome to the party. Congrats on getting your new toy. Hopefully you will do better than me - in playing with all of the features over the last couple of days, I haven't gotten to sleep before 3AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moooog View Post

2.) The 4308 will stream Music and display Pictures. Unfortunately, no video streaming.

This makes the WiFi worthless to me, I thought I read it would stream things like .avi files for music videos etc. Will it stream them over a direct cat5 cable?

I am connected wired, and it will not stream video. It won't even show you a listing of the videos in your WMP library. Curiously, I have a NAS storage device on my LAN, and it has a UPnP service. It showed up as available in the 4308 GUI, and when I select it, I can see my Music, Picture AND Video filenames. When I try to select one to play, the playback GUI appears with the filename, but it almost immediately goes back to the main menu. The manual does state the file types that it will stream, and Video is not listed.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:09 PM

Quote:

I am connected wired, and it will not stream video. It won't even show you a listing of the videos in your WMP library. Curiously, I have a NAS storage device on my LAN, and it has a UPnP service. It showed up as available in the 4308 GUI, and when I select it, I can see my Music, Picture AND Video filenames. When I try to select one to play, the playback GUI appears with the filename, but it almost immediately goes back to the main menu. The manual does state the file types that it will stream, and Video is not listed.

Which NAS device are you using?
Old 07-28-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARRAM View Post

Just one question John if I may. I am most interested in the internet radio, which from reading your post you haven't got working yet, but when you do I would like to know if you can store favourite URLs or are only limited to the stations provided by the Denon network. I have a Slimdevices squeezebox V3 at present on which I can login to my squeezenetwork account and manage the various radio feeds, add or delete as I wish. Just wondering if the 4308 will also offer this feature.

Ps. liked your Avsetup photo you sent - including the plants (from the wife!)

Thanks Ron!

Internet Radio is managed through www.radiodenon.com. It requires an initial connection from the receiver. From that point forward, you log into the site with the receivers MAC address to manage your stations. And yes, I still have not gotten that to work. The receiver will not do the initial connect.

I'm not certain about your Squeezbox. I have other UPnP media devices on my network (Infrant ReadyNAS, PC running TVersity), and so far only the PC running WMP 11 with Library Sharing enabled, was able to stream.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2clark View Post

Which NAS device are you using?

Infrant ReadyNAS
Old 07-28-2007, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressPuppy View Post

Geez. This guy puts family and kids before us and his new toy. Get your priorities straight...

Thanks for taking the time to post all of this info and to answer questions for us. Your fortune (and somewhat misfortune) of getting the first one is a help to the rest of us. Your generosity is not overlooked!!

Enjoy the time with your kid and don't let us bug you too much!!

Thanks StressPuppy. I enjoyed the time with my kid out in the hot sun all day. Now back to the 4308 fun
Old 07-28-2007, 06:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallen234 View Post

Have you tried to run an ipod through the Denon? I was wondering how well the "Compressed Audio Restorer" works.

I Like!!!!

Restorer has 3 modes. The difference between "Off" and "Mode 3" is very noticible. The highs are emphasized, and the audio seems to have more presence. The Restorer has more effect on streamed Music than my iPOD.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gte747e View Post

I'd also like to know 3 things:

1. How is the HD radio (quality/reception, etc.)?
2. How is the iPod and Compressed Audio Restorer?
3. Can it stream via iTunes?

-> 1. The receiver included (2) Loop and (2) Wire antennas - AM & FM for both standard and HD Radio. I have not yet gotten what I would consider acceptable reception for HD Radio. I don't know if I will need some sort of external or amplified antenna to get decent results.

-> 2. I like the Restorer - the effect is definitely noticible in that highs and the music detail are emphasized. The effect is more noticible on streamed music than the iPod.

-> 3. I haven't gotten the 4308 to play streams from anything other than Windows Media Player 11.
Old 07-28-2007, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Q. If you are streaming music via the network function..... can you view a TV channel while listening to the music?

If so, what remote buttons are used to achieve this? See attachment, it would appear that on page 39 you can select Input for NET, and then under #7 video other select the TV for viewing....correct...unless you have HDMI input for TV source...I guess.

Yep, works great - and not just for streamed music. I was listening to my iPod, went to the 4308 and pushed the Video Select button (one of the group of four buttons above the power switch), then turned the Source Select knob, and the GUI displayed my video sources one-after-one. I can select any video source independent of the audio source. I have not figured out how to do this from the remote yet.

BTW, for those of you that have seen a picture of the remote - the window is actually a touch screen of a sorts. It changes the button layout image depending on what function you are trying to perform. Thats why there are so few buttons on the main body of the remote. I will need to spend a lot more time with that remote to get used to it.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yep, works great - and not just for streamed music. I was listening to my iPod, went to the 4308 and pushed the Video Select button (one of the group of four buttons above the power switch), then turned the Source Select knob, and the GUI displayed my video sources one-after-one. I can select any video source independent of the audio source. I have not figured out how to do this from the remote yet.

Thanks!
I would need to be able to do it from the remote, as sitting 12' away, I don't wish to be running back and forth to the AVR to change audio sources.

So, I am wondering if you have TV for input selected and Video Select for TV, then you just use the remote to change input to whatever audio you wish, ie XM, FM, etc. That would work for audio change only and keep the TV video?

From this pic it appears that from Video Select only non HDMI video can be selected! Is your TV connected by component?
LL

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread