Forum Jump: 

Old 07-28-2007, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by StressPuppy View Post

I'd be curious of what features lead you to buy a 4308 over the 3808. I'm ready to purchase but torn, and mainly because of the $1000 price diff!!! And though my 19 years of marriage doesn't match your 26, I do still know the importance of the WAF and want to make sure I have all my ammo!!

A previous poster mentioned that the the 3808 didn't do streaming. I thought the 3808 and 4308 both did streaming. Do you know the answer to this? The early specs I saw said something about both doing streaming but the 3808 not doing JPEG. ??

I guess the primary reasons were the 2nd HDMI Out, HD Radio, Advanced AL24 on all channels and probably a couple of others that I don;t recall right now. I'm not certain about the streaming capabilities on the 3808. The 4308 definitely supports JPEG images though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2007, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Thanks!
I would need to be able to do it from the remote, as sitting 12' away, I don't wish to be running back and forth to the AVR to change audio sources.

So, I am wondering if you have TV for input selected and Video Select for TV, then you just use the remote to change input to whatever audio you wish, ie XM, FM, etc. That would work for audio change only and keep the TV video?

Unfortunately, changing the input from the remote changes both the video and audio sources to corespond to your selection. There is probably a way to do it from the remote, but I will need to play with it more. Maybe I am "remote-challenged" from lack of sleep the last couple of days, but that remote is really working me.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
John,

I am sure you are very tired with new plaything at hand I understand and appreciate any info as I try to figure it out from a manual alone

If you select TV and also select Video Select TV, when you change input to FM what happens to the video since there is none with FM? I would think the video select would keep the video with the TV as that is what was selected.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-Jamie View Post

Could one of you lucky owners plug a NTFS USB HDD into the 4308 and let us know if it supports it please? The owners manual posted on Denon's site says only FAT 16 and 32 file systems are supported on USB devices, but I'm hoping this is an error (along with the error in the manual about only supporting wma files with bit rate up to 192 kbps). For those of use with hundreds of gigs of WMA lossless files, FAT 32 devices just won't cut it. Thanks!

Nope... I connected an external USB enclosure with an NTFS formatted drive, and it saw the fact that I connected a USB device. When I selected the USB folder, the display on the 4308 said <------------- EMPTY -------------->. The on screen GUI never changed.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRDude View Post

Unfortunately, changing the input from the remote changes both the video and audio sources to corespond to your selection. There is probably a way to do it from the remote, but I will need to play with it more. Maybe I am "remote-challenged" from lack of sleep the last couple of days, but that remote is really working me.

On the 4306 remote there is a V Sel (video select) button when in amp mode.
This changes what you see compared to what you are hearing.
So if you select radio - you hear radio, then press V Sel to see another source that is plugged in such as DVD, TV etc.
Is there the button on the 4308 remote?
I am too lazy to get out of bed and go check the 4308 manual I printed out and don't have access to the .pdf

As for your Infrant readyNAS go to http://www.twonkymedia.de/ and get the trial and load on.
Once set up you can then stream music and most likely pictures through the 4308.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi,

Checking the remote in the manual....no Video Select. see my pic. In red box, it is specific to Main Unit for the use of the Video Select.

But that is ok for my situation where I want to change audio but keep the same video selection.

Just input Cable/TV and Video Select TV, and then change input to FM and Video should stay the same.... correct?
LL
Old 07-28-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:

Hi,

Checking the remote in the manual....no Video Select. see my pic. In red box, it is specific to Main Unit for the use of the Video Select.

But that is ok for my situation where I want to change audio but keep the same video selection.

Just input Cable/TV and Video Select TV, and then change input to FM and Video should stay the same.... correct?

I just tried on my 4306 the Video Select function.
Set input to radio and set video to DVD
Went to CD input and set video to VDP

when alternating between these inputs the selected video was shown (DVD on radio input, VDP on CD input).
So each input can have its own "video" remembered.

I checked the documentation for IR commands for the 4308 and Video select is there.
So if you have a universal remote you can still use the video select function remotely.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

John,

I am sure you are very tired with new plaything at hand I understand and appreciate any info as I try to figure it out from a manual alone

If you select TV and also select Video Select TV, when you change input to FM what happens to the video since there is none with FM? I would think the video select would keep the video with the TV as that is what was selected.

Okay, here is how you do it from the remote. Definitely not as easy as the front panel.

Menu Button
- Scroll to "Source Select"
- Scroll to your desired Source (iPod for instance)
- Hit the "Select" button (Video and Audio change to iPod)
- Right Arrow to "Assign"
- Scroll down to "Other"
- Right Arrow to "Video Select"
- Right Arrow and scroll down to the Video Source that you want and the video changes but the audio stays from the original source.

You have to remember to set it back to the original Video/Audio sources. I haven't found a shortcut to return everything back to normal.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Hum, Now I am confused

And I just wanted to view the TV and listen to FM at the same time and go back and forth to TV audio or FM.

Seems from MrFreeeztas that the video is remembered using Video Select for each input. So, I would Select TV for Cable/TV and TV for FM and that should allow me to switch back and forth and keep the TV for video......correct?

I think this is what hifisponge was telling me in another post:
--------------------
Originally Posted by hifisponge
Yes, you just switch inputs. The cool thing about the new Denon AVRs is that they remember which video source you want with each source. In previous models, if you chose the CD input you would have to select the video source each time, and it cycles through the inputs so it took a while. With the new functionality it should be relatively easy to do what you want to do.
---------------------

So, you are in effect assigning the video for each input with this Video Select and it remembers it so you don't have to select it each time. Just switch inputs and the video is there as assigned........OK?
Old 07-28-2007, 08:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreezetas View Post

I just tried on my 4306 the Video Select function.
Set input to radio and set video to DVD
Went to CD input and set video to VDP

when alternating between these inputs the selected video was shown (DVD on radio input, VDP on CD input).
So each input can have its own "video" remembered.

I checked the documentation for IR commands for the 4308 and Video select is there.
So if you have a universal remote you can still use the video select function remotely.

Hmmm. I can't find Video Select on either of the two included remotes.

You gave me an idea though - the Video Select button on the remote from my old Denon AVR-5600 works. Hitting the "Video Select" button multiple times cycles through the Video sources and leaves the audio alone. I will go program that into my MX-950 Remote now. I still don't know how someone would do it from the included remotes.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Hum, Now I am confused

And I just wanted to view the TV and listen to FM at the same time and go back and forth to TV audio or FM.

Seems from MrFreeeztas that the video is remembered using Video Select for each input. So, I would Select TV for Cable/TV and TV for FM and that should allow me to switch back and forth and keep the TV for video......correct?

So, you are in effect assigning the video for each input with this Video Select and it remembers it so you don't have to select it each time. Just switch inputs and the video is there as assigned........OK?

Sounds like the way to do it.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreezetas View Post

Sounds like the way to do it.

Thank you!

I remember you from last year when you answered me on some Denon questions.....I am still looking for a new AVR....
Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Hi,

That is the button on the front panel just above and to the right of the power switch.

I have found an easy way to do what you want using the information that mrfreezetas shared. I don't know how it will help you though since it relies on a function built into the earlier remotes. It could be in the new remote somewhere, and I will keep looking - but its not obvious if its there.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

John,

I think it can be done from the main unit and it will remember how the video is assigned to each input. That way when the remote input is selected the remembered video is automatically selected, and no need to redo it again, unless you wish to reassign a different video for a specific input.

Now....I have one final question to figure out...next
Old 07-28-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, the final thing I need to know as I will be connecting the Denon Component output to my HDTV Component input, and the Denon HDMI output to my HDTV DVI input.

If I do not assign any resolution for my Cable/TV input then will that input go directly to the Component output on the AVR? (If I did assign a resolution, no passthru, then it would go to HDMI for conversion/scaling).

Just trying to understand how my Component output gets selected when I select Cable/TV input.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The 4308 case gets somewhat warm. My rack is open in the fron and back, and I left about 1 1/2" of clearance above the receiver. I watched a movie (loudly) last night, and at the end it was pretty warm. I might be concerned if I had an enclosed rack. Maybe DenonLover can chime in when he gets his up and running.

I just got done watching Deja Vu with Denzel Washington and Val Kilmer. I watched it at -10 and the amp was somewhat warm by the end of the movie and the fans were running. I turnde off all noise and I could not hear the fans until I got all the way down next to the amp to try and see how loud they were. I was going to replace my speakers and my Plasma and now I am not so sure. The picure looks MUCH better and the sound is a NIGHT and DAY difference. I am not sure if it is the HDMI, or the way the system was set up when I started using the amp or what?? It could be the power or the chip, I am really not sure but it is very noticable.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hey DenonLover, welcome to the party. Congrats on getting your new toy. Hopefully you will do better than me - in playing with all of the features over the last couple of days, I haven't gotten to sleep before 3AM.

Thanks DVRDude. I am worried it too will be up all night playing with this thing. I am playing my DVD audio collection again right now and enjoying this amp while I read everything I can. There is so much to learn and now I need to run out and buy a Blueray player tonight if I can find a place open? Do you think I am addicted to this thing?? Get some sleep tonight...

By the way, I have yet to be able to get my DVD-2900 to work with the 4308 yet. It was the model before HDMI and I am trying to connect via component to the amp and I cannot seem to get it to work. I have checked the cables and all of the component in connections to no avail? It is wierd but there is something about this player that will not work with the video into the 4308 so I had to run the component cable to the plasma directly to get it to work and run the optical to the amp.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

OK, the final thing I need to know as I will be connecting the Denon Component output to my HDTV Component input, and the Denon HDMI output to my HDTV DVI input.

If I do not assign any resolution for my Cable/TV input then will that input go directly to the Component output on the AVR? (If I did assign a resolution, no passthru, then it would go to HDMI for conversion/scaling).

Just trying to understand how my Component output gets selected when I select Cable/TV input.

Thats an interesting question. I didn't find a need to connect anything but the HDMI output of the 4308 to my plasma. All of my video inputs (Composite, Component, S-Vid, and HDMI) convert/route through the single HDMI output. There are several controls for the HDMI monitor output, but I don't see anything yet for the Component monitor output. Component seems to be more of a pass-thru.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am connected wired, and it will not stream video. It won't even show you a listing of the videos in your WMP library. Curiously, I have a NAS storage device on my LAN, and it has a UPnP service. It showed up as available in the 4308 GUI, and when I select it, I can see my Music, Picture AND Video filenames. When I try to select one to play, the playback GUI appears with the filename, but it almost immediately goes back to the main menu. The manual does state the file types that it will stream, and Video is not listed.

I have a Lacie 500GB Ethernet drive on the network but I am having problems connecting to my WPA network. It can see all of the local networks but but it is asking me for the KEY and I am not sure what it wants. I tried to leave it blank and the connection failed, I tried to add my the passwork and it failed. I need some time with the manual tonight and mabye I can figure it out. I love how easy it was to get the iPod up and running. I just ordered the XM Mini Tuner tonight and I hope to have it late next week since I run both XM and Sirus in the house and car.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

Thanks DVRDude. I am worried it too will be up all night playing with this thing. I am playing my DVD audio collection again right now and enjoying this amp while I read everything I can. There is so much to learn and now I need to run out and buy a Blueray player tonight if I can find a place open? Do you think I am addicted to this thing?? Get some sleep tonight...

By the way, I have yet to be able to get my DVD-2900 to work with the 4308 yet. It was the model before HDMI and I am trying to connect via component to the amp and I cannot seem to get it to work. I have checked the cables and all of the component in connections to no avail? It is wierd but there is something about this player that will not work with the video into the 4308 so I had to run the component cable to the plasma directly to get it to work and run the optical to the amp.

Thanks. Yep... you're hooked. I decided on the HD-DVD route, and will look at Blueray players a bit later. Let me know if the player that you end up with outputs the native Hi-Def bitstream from the DVD - so that the 4308 will decode the TrueHD and DTS-HD stuff. My Toshiba XA2 does not. The 4308 sees the stream as "Multi-Channel Input". Now, is that decoded TrueHD presented to the receiver - or downmixed Dolby Digital 5.1. I can't tell yet - everything sounds really good. I am eager to see the 4308 display show "Dolby TrueHD". Then I will know for sure.

BTW, on your DVD problem - when you selected the DVD source, did you do the Assign -> Component from the menu?
Old 07-28-2007, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thats an interesting question. I didn't find a need to connect anything but the HDMI output of the 4308 to my plasma. All of my video inputs (Composite, Component, S-Vid, and HDMI) convert/route through the single HDMI output. There are several controls for the HDMI monitor output, but I don't see anything yet for the Component monitor output. Component seems to be more of a pass-thru.

I may also do it that way, which would allow scaling by the VP in the 4308 of the analog signals (my Panny 65" 1080p pro HDTV does a good job of scaling from my HQV tests). My Cable STB gives some difference in PQ compared to my XA2 HD DVD unit, so I have them on separate inputs to have different calibrations applied. May end up just going with one input and select a different picture mode in that input for each but that involves using another remote for the TV and changing things back and forth. With separate inputs nothing needs to be changed.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:25 PM

Quote:

I have a Lacie 500GB Ethernet drive on the network but I am having problems connecting to my WPA network. It can see all of the local networks but but it is asking me for the KEY and I am not sure what it wants.

The key should be the passphrase that you entered into your wireless router when you set up WPA on the router, connect to the router and look in the wireless security section, it should show you the passphrase. It may show the key as a long string of characters, but more likely just the passphrase (pre-shared key PSK)
Old 07-28-2007, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

BTW, on your DVD problem - when you selected the DVD source, did you do the Assign -> Component from the menu?

Yes, I did. I hav got pretty good at telling it which component imput to use. I tried it on 1, then 2, then 3 and none of them worked? The sound was not a problem and the S-Video was not a problem, just the component connection? I then tried swaping cable in case it was a cable problem. Nope. When I ran it directly to the TV it worked fine. I thought it might be a problem with the amp but everything else I try to the component in works great. For some reason the DVD-2900 does not want to play video to the 4308 via component? It is the wierdest thing?
As for the blueray, I will make sure I get the right one to take full advantage of TrueHD.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:

Nope... I connected an external USB enclosure with an NTFS formatted drive, and it saw the fact that I connected a USB device. When I selected the USB folder, the display on the 4308 said <------------- EMPTY -------------->. The on screen GUI never changed.

Thanks John. Guess we're stuck with FAT32 drives (at least until a future firmware update perhaps?). I was really looking forward to just plugging in a 500 gig drive with my whole audio library on it. I'll have my 4308 next week, and I'll check if it will recognize multiple partitions on a FAT32 drive and post the results. I know the 4306 will only see the first partition on a drive with multiple partitions. (For anyone who's wondering, FAT32 drives get unstable with partions larger than 130 gigs or so, at least in my experience).

Thanks again.

Jamie
Old 07-28-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ-Jamie View Post

Thanks John. Guess we're stuck with FAT32 drives (at least until a future firmware update perhaps?). I was really looking forward to just plugging in a 500 gig drive with my whole audio library on it. I'll have my 4308 next week, and I'll check if it will recognize multiple partitions on a FAT32 drive and post the results. I know the 4306 will only see the first partition on a drive with multiple partitions. (For anyone who's wondering, FAT32 drives get unstable with partions larger than 130 gigs or so, at least in my experience).

Thanks again.

Jamie

If I am not mistaken, you should be able to format a hard drive in FAT32 well beyond 500GB (2TB I think?). You just can't use windows to do it. You would need to download a format utility to do this. I have a couple of 500GB USB drives which are FAT32 (Western Digital MyBook).

There is a file size limitation of 4GB less 1 byte.
Old 07-28-2007, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuallyDave View Post

The key should be the passphrase that you entered into your wireless router when you set up WPA on the router, connect to the router and look in the wireless security section, it should show you the passphrase. It may show the key as a long string of characters, but more likely just the passphrase (pre-shared key PSK)

Thank you DuallyDave for the help but this stuff is always so hard for me to understand. I have an Apple Airport so I logged into Airport Admin Utility and selected Change Wireless Security since that was the only item I saw that was called wireless security. I selected WPA2 Personal and have it password set. The encrypion type is WPA and WPA2. Is a KEY normally a password or it something else? You mentioned a passphrase is that the same as a password? Sorry...
Old 07-28-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:

Thank you DuallyDave for the help but this stuff is always so hard for me to understand. I have an Apple Airport so I logged into Airport Admin Utility and selected Change Wireless Security since that was the only item I saw that was called wireless security. I selected WPA2 Personal and have it password set. The encrypion type is WPA and WPA2. Is a KEY normally a password or it something else? You mentioned a passphrase is that the same as a password? Sorry...

Your password/phrase/key is exactly that, the airport password. You'll have an SSID (My Cool A$$ Wireless Network, DLink, or something like that) which will require a "shared key." This is essentially just a fancy name for a password.

Great job on the updates, many of us are watching in awe with utmost curiosity.
Old 07-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Advanced Member

DVRDude and DenonLover... first of all thanks for taking the time to give us all any info you can. I know sometimes it can be a pain with all of the questions and PMs.

One question that I think a lot of us have and one that all of the Onkyo folks like to use to bash the Denons is the deinterlace performance from 1080i to 1080p.

Can you tell us about the image quality of your HD channels? Maybe let the deinterlacer in your TVs process the image first and then turn on the Denon and give us your impressions.

It sounds like the Onkyos with their Reon do this very well and as long as the Denon with DCDi isn't a disaster I will be going with the Denon sicne I would really like to use Denon Link and their new add-on remote.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:23 PM

Anyone who has a monitor that will accept 1080p input.....

Does anyone have the HD or BD HQV test disks they can pop in and see how this thing is deinterlacing 1080i?
Old 07-28-2007, 10:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

DVRDude and DenonLover... first of all thanks for taking the time to give us all any info you can. I know sometimes it can be a pain with all of the questions and PMs.

One question that I think a lot of us have and one that all of the Onkyo folks like to use to bash the Denons is the deinterlace performance from 1080i to 1080p.

Can you tell us about the image quality of your HD channels? Maybe let the deinterlacer in your TVs process the image first and then turn on the Denon and give us your impressions.

It sounds like the Onkyos with their Reon do this very well and as long as the Denon with DCDi isn't a disaster I will be going with the Denon sicne I would really like to use Denon Link and their new add-on remote.

Thanks!

I only have a 1080i monitor right now but I will try this in the morning. I would like to know this as well as I was very close to pulling the trigger on a 905 until I remembered my name was DenonLover and came to my senses. I am going to hold off on the blu-ray until Denon releases the DVD-2500BTCI.

DVD-2500BTCI Blu-ray Transport: High-Performance Connection to A/V Receivers:
The DVD-2500BTCI is a leading edge Blu-ray Disc Transport that allows owners of advanced A/V receivers to add Blu-ray capability to their system and enjoy high definition video. The DVD-2500BTCI will natively output an HD audio bit-stream to a connected receiver via HDMI. Once this signal is accepted in the receiver, it can then be decoded into its native format including Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio.

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread