The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #991 of 5102 Old 09-06-2007, 10:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ok, the fact that your PC sees the Denon in WMP 11 says that you do not have a connectivity issue. You have a sharing issue, and there is a setting that needs to be revised to allow sharing of network resources.

Keep checking as that will solve your problem. I have XP still so am not sure about the Vista networking setup to allow sharing of resouces.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #992 of 5102 Old 09-06-2007, 10:04 AM

Liked: 10
ok, thanks for the help and ideas, anyone else with Vista x64 ?
post #993 of 5102 Old 09-06-2007, 10:23 AM

BWCLARK and all,

I started up my spare desktop pc which is running 32 bit version of windows vista ultimate, copied my entire music collection over to the hard drive there. As soon as I launched windows media player 11 on the 32bit machine, the pop-up came up to allow the Denon device. Right after that the spare pc name was in my Network list.

If Denon is watching this, there seems to be an issue with 64bit and the sharing !!!
post #994 of 5102 Old 09-06-2007, 09:00 PM
Advanced Member

Well, I have finally ran into an issue I can't seem to figure out...

I am setup with 5.1 config with the fronts bi-amped using the amp-assign. The problem is that I am having is that when I connect my headphones sound is automatically cut from all speakers except the amp-assigned (bi-amp) channel going to my fronts. The other bi-amp channel coming from the LF/RF amp is cutting just fine.

Is there anyone that can test this out that is running 5.1 bi-amped? The only work around I have right now is to go into the menu and turn off bi-amp. I would love to find out that I am doing something wrong Going to email Denon and see if I get a reply.

Thanks
post #995 of 5102 Old 09-06-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredz85 View Post

I currenty have the AVR-4308 connected to a 2.0 speaker setup. My old amp (a Philips one) was "louder" than the AVR-4308. Meaning -40 dB on the old amp equals -30 dB on the AVR-4308. Am I doing something wrong, or is this normal?

Any help/comments appreciated on this isssue!
post #996 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 08:46 AM

it's not normal per say but if you didn't calibrate the old receiver and you did calibrate this one (or you never calibrated either) then it is definitely possible without doing anything wrong.

Erik

post #997 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 09:36 AM

Liked: 28
So I think I have all my internal networking issues solved i.e. the 4308 no longer crashes my home network and is seen in WMP11, but I can't get internet radio to work. I've tried connecting to the internet radio first, then logging in to RadioDenon with the mac addy, but it doesn't work. Any thoughts? As far as I can tell I have firewall settings disabled on my router. Do I need to open up a port for the 4308 to send it's mac addy?

post #998 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 10:08 AM

A few questions for the 4308 owners out there (mine should be arriving soon I hope)...

Is it possible to re-assign the optical out connections to be optical in connections? I'm upgrading from the AVR-4800 which had 4 optical in on the back, so it looks like I might need to buy some coxial optical cables. I looked over the manual and it doesn't look like it is possible but wanted to ask just to be sure.

Also, does the receiver do upscaling of 480i/480p sources to 1080p, i see the i/p scaler settings but its not entirely clear what that actually does, the term 'upconverting' is used (do upscale and upconvert mean the same thing in this instance). The current 5### model had a sticker that claimed 1080 upscaling, and with the robust feature set of the 4308 I would be surprised if it didn't.

Thanks.

Edit: Oh yeah I totally forgot HDMI also carries audio, maybe I don't need some coxial optical cables after all.
post #999 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi View Post

Is it possible to re-assign the optical out connections to be optical in connections?

Nope, not physically possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hifi View Post

Also, does the receiver do upscaling of 480i/480p sources to 1080p

Yes

post #1000 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentiman View Post

So I think I have all my internal networking issues solved i.e. the 4308 no longer crashes my home network and is seen in WMP11, but I can't get internet radio to work. I've tried connecting to the internet radio first, then logging in to RadioDenon with the mac addy, but it doesn't work. Any thoughts? As far as I can tell I have firewall settings disabled on my router. Do I need to open up a port for the 4308 to send it's mac addy?

In order to totally rule out the firewall, I would try everything with it turned OFF. But that is not likely the issue if you are going directly to a router then your modem. Whats the configuration of the network?
post #1001 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 10:47 AM

Hi all. Just wanted to take a minute to say I have turned to the "Denon side". I just purchased the 4308 yesterday as an upgrade to my Yamaha RX-V2700. Initial impressions are mostly positive. The sound clarity and separation is definitely better and now I can take advantage of TrueHD from my XA2.

Another improvement which I can't explain, is the PQ has really improved! I can't explain that except maybe the Yamaha was inserting more noise?

I did have a lot of trouble getting used to the Denon GUI, but the sales guy told me I would have to get used to the Denon GUI after using the Yamaha's GUI which is more user friendly.

So far everything is working, I have net radio working, I am networked into my home pc and my Harmony 880 is controlling the Denon like it should.

Also, before anyone asks, I picked the 4308 over the 3808 because I wanted HDradio and I wanted to have the wifi option, even though I don't currently need it. I also liked the build of the 4308 better than the lower end ones. I also didn't want to step down from the 140w per channel that the Yamaha had.

I will be trying to keep up with this thread to see what learnings everyone has. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences!

Chris....
post #1002 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1up5dn View Post

Hi all. Just wanted to take a minute to say I have turned to the "Denon side". I just purchased the 4308 yesterday as an upgrade to my Yamaha RX-V2700. Initial impressions are mostly positive. The sound clarity and separation is definitely better and now I can take advantage of TrueHD from my XA2.

Another improvement which I can't explain, is the PQ has really improved! I can't explain that except maybe the Yamaha was inserting more noise?

I did have a lot of trouble getting used to the Denon GUI, but the sales guy told me I would have to get used to the Denon GUI after using the Yamaha's GUI which is more user friendly.

So far everything is working, I have net radio working, I am networked into my home pc and my Harmony 880 is controlling the Denon like it should.

Also, before anyone asks, I picked the 4308 over the 3808 because I wanted HDradio and I wanted to have the wifi option, even though I don't currently need it. I also liked the build of the 4308 better than the lower end ones. I also didn't want to step down from the 140w per channel that the Yamaha had.

I will be trying to keep up with this thread to see what learnings everyone has. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences!

Chris....

Hi Chris (and anyone else with an opinion on this) ...... I'm in the market for a new HT receiver and am 'seriously' considering the 4308ci as well. I was wondering if you looked into the Onkyo TX-NR905 or the Integra DTR 9.8 while you were researching? I am having a difficult time deciding, especially 'tween the 905 and 4308. Price is not an issue, but sound & video quality, GUI, and overall product quality along with net/lan connectiblity.

TIA, Ghost
post #1003 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 02:05 PM

Have you looked through the thread at all? There are numerous discussions of this comparison. The thread is not that long, go back about 10 pages and read through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostmech View Post

Hi Chris (and anyone else with an opinion on this) ...... I'm in the market for a new HT receiver and am 'seriously' considering the 4308ci as well. I was wondering if you looked into the Onkyo TX-NR905 or the Integra DTR 9.8 while you were researching? I am having a difficult time deciding, especially 'tween the 905 and 4308. Price is not an issue, but sound & video quality, GUI, and overall product quality along with net/lan connectiblity.

TIA, Ghost

post #1004 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 02:30 PM

Saw the thread, and thought I would comment.

It is great that Denon is finally acknowledging the CI market with the release of the well integrated "ci" models. As usual Denon thoughtfully used good video scaling technology in their latest models. Although, I prefer to use outboard (separate) video processing for the home theaters that I design.

The 4308ci is a good choice, but the user must be able to grasp and utilize the scope features effectively.

--The AV Technology Guy

Contractor's A/V.com
post #1005 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 05:28 PM

Ghost, I did consider a lot of options, I tried to keep an open mind to all options. I have been a bit biased towards the Yamaha stuff, but they seem to be falling behind lately. I guess what ultimately swayed me, was that both the local Magnolia store and Ultimate Electronics have really shifted more and more to Denon products. They both said Denon is making a better product at the same price points as the others (could just be marketing dollars, but it sounded good anyway). I'm the type that likes to see, touch and feel before buying something, so since I could not find any Onkyo stuff locally, I ended up with the 4308.

Also, I like that I essentially get a 30 day test drive and can return it if it doesn't really impress. So far, I'd say it's staying! I am ready to watch all my movies over again as it really brought new life to the sound and picture. I have a feeling there will be a Yamaha RX-V2700 on craigslist soon!

Chris....
post #1006 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:

Ghost, I did consider a lot of options, I tried to keep an open mind to all options. I have been a bit biased towards the Yamaha stuff, but they seem to be falling behind lately. I guess what ultimately swayed me, was that both the local Magnolia store and Ultimate Electronics have really shifted more and more to Denon products. They both said Denon is making a better product at the same price points as the others (could just be marketing dollars, but it sounded good anyway). I'm the type that likes to see, touch and feel before buying something, so since I could not find any Onkyo stuff locally, I ended up with the 4308.

Also, I like that I essentially get a 30 day test drive and can return it if it doesn't really impress. So far, I'd say it's staying! I am ready to watch all my movies over again as it really brought new life to the sound and picture. I have a feeling there will be a Yamaha RX-V2700 on craigslist soon!

Chris....

Thanks for the response Chris. I am leaning toward the Denon since the 905 and 9.9 are hard to come by right now and the Denon seems to be very close in all areas. Living in a rural area and not close to a 'quality' AV stores makes it a little harder for me to test drive 'em. Thats why I'm trying every which way I can to make sure I don't have "buyer's remorse" 2 months down the road.

The Integra is most likely out since finding on online or in a store is near impossible.

The 905 seems to be the bargin of the three, but ohter s have brought up some issues with heat and thermal breaker at lower than advertised power settings. On the other hand, , it has beefier transformers which should equate to better sustained power.

I guess the only issue I have with Denon is; I read on a forum where in Japan, Denon is considered low quality. I'm just wanting to get a good sampling of actual consumer feedback (like yourself) and expert AV opinion before I take the $2,000.00 plunge.

Ghost
post #1007 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 10:30 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just purchased my 4308ci and am not able to get HD radio to work. I have the brown FM antenna connected to the HD FM input and am not able to pick up any stations. It just shows 1 station 89.3 and no controls work on the remote when in NET/DTU mode. I even tried connecting the regular FM antenna with the same result. I can't change the band/mode or navigate the channels when in NET/DTU mode. Any help would be appreciated.
post #1008 of 5102 Old 09-07-2007, 10:35 PM

Sorry to mention what might be a stupid question but are you sure there are any HD radio stations in your area?

Erik

post #1009 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post

Sorry to mention what might be a stupid question but are you sure there are any HD radio stations in your area?

Yes there are. I live in the Charlotte city area and I check hdradio.com and there are plenty of stations.

Also the first time I connected my antenna I could see the signal strength. 3 to 4 antenna bars. Now I see 0 signal strength.
post #1010 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 08:28 AM

To those having success with HD radio pls let me know if you'll have both the regular FM and HD FM antenna connected or just the HD antenna.
Thx.
post #1011 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 AM

Malcolm, I had the same issue as you are describing. The screen just showed 89.3 and I couldn't control anything with the remote either. Then I used the smaller remote and hit the channel up/down button and tada, the list of channels came up. I assume the channel up/down button on the bigger remote works the same way. I was starting to think I had something hooked up wrong. Give it a try!

Chris....
post #1012 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

To those having success with HD radio pls let me know if you'll have both the regular FM and HD FM antenna connected or just the HD antenna.
Thx.

Do you have BOTH of the antenna's attached in back? I thought thta one antenna would work for both.
post #1013 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 10:12 AM

This is my first post here, so pls bear with me. Malcom try using the "tuning" up and down buttons below the search and return buttons on the sub remote. Then use the up and down arrows change the the HD chanel (HD1, HD2, etc...) on that frequency. The channel button is very confusing for me as I am trying to learn how it works. It appears to change the preset stations, but I don't get sound unless it is true HD? However, when using the tuning buttons I pick up the analog stations? Has anyone figured out how to "Save" the stations. Am I blind, I can not find the "Memory" button?

How do I get the Zone 2 GUI to show up? I think I read earlier in the thread that Zone 2 does not support HDMI? Is this correct? Do I need to run an optical or coax from the source to get the sound in Zone 2?
post #1014 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 10:32 AM

Has anyone had success with the network with a D-Link? What security settings did you use? Do you have to enter the security key into the denon?
post #1015 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 PM

Quote:

Malcolm, I had the same issue as you are describing. The screen just showed 89.3 and I couldn't control anything with the remote either. Then I used the smaller remote and hit the channel up/down button and tada, the list of channels came up. I assume the channel up/down button on the bigger remote works the same way. I was starting to think I had something hooked up wrong. Give it a try!

Chris....

Thanks everyone for the tips. The second remote does the job. But I haven't figured a way to save it to my defined presets. I can do it for TUNER but not for HD radio.

Man! What a defective product? Doesn't Denon have any decent quality control? I can't believe defects like this get by unnoticed.
post #1016 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 01:27 PM

I haven't tried to mess with the presets, I just ran the auto search and then used the channel button to change stations. I agree about some of the annoyances of the Denon, if the sound quality didn't turn out so good, I would probably take the thing back. Then I would end up waiting for the Yamaha RX-Z11 and then I would never be able to live with myself for spending that much on a receiver!

Chris....
post #1017 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 03:31 PM

I am finding it hard to believe I spent 2k on this. My old Yamaha HTR 5990 had explosive sound and crystal clear FM. I got this mainly for HD radio and its ability to stream pictures. No denying the excellent sound but not sure it warrants the price.
Also for those conisdering the 3808ci and the 4308ci- the 4308ci does have better sound, just my opinion.. I for one have experienced both as I earlier had the 3808ci and i thought it was good. Also the GUI on it is a lot more stable than the GUI on the 4308ci.
I am now waiting on the feedback for the Yamaha rxv3800. I have ruled out the Onkyos considering the heat issues.
post #1018 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 03:33 PM

I just got my 4308CI set up and within five minutes of turning it on smoke starting coming out of the top vents and there is a strong burning smell. Has anyone else experienced this?
post #1019 of 5102 Old 09-08-2007, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmp6 View Post

I am now waiting on the feedback for the Yamaha rxv3800. I have ruled out the Onkyos considering the heat issues.

I did some initial checking into the Yamaha 3800, and found it very similar to the Denon 3808, but also found the Denon to have a little better features:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=270
post #1020 of 5102 Old 09-09-2007, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post

it's not normal per say but if you didn't calibrate the old receiver and you did calibrate this one (or you never calibrated either) then it is definitely possible without doing anything wrong.

How do I calibrate the 4308? I only have a 2.0 setup and the included calibrating mic only works for 5.1 or 7.1, it says.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page