The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 5101 Old 07-28-2007, 11:05 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like to only two owners so far have 1080i displays. Hopefully there will be more owners soon to add to the great info we have already received.

I have a Sony 60" SXRD that is 1080p... just waiting on my 4308 to be sent to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 5101 Old 07-28-2007, 11:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post

By the way, I have yet to be able to get my DVD-2900 to work with the 4308 yet. It was the model before HDMI and I am trying to connect via component to the amp and I cannot seem to get it to work.

The 2900 is set to 480p?
post #93 of 5101 Old 07-28-2007, 11:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

DVD-2500BTCI Blu-ray Transport: High-Performance Connection to A/V Receivers:
The DVD-2500BTCI is a leading edge Blu-ray Disc Transport that allows owners of advanced A/V receivers to add Blu-ray capability to their system and enjoy high definition video. The DVD-2500BTCI will natively output an HD audio bit-stream to a connected receiver via HDMI. Once this signal is accepted in the receiver, it can then be decoded into its native format including Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio.

Very nice! Thats what I wanted to hear. I will wait for that one also.

For my HD-DVD playback now, I believe that I read somewhere that Toshiba will release a firmware update to enable native bitstream on the XA2, but who knows. I've got an email into a knowledgeable guy at Toshiba that helped with a problem I was having with the XA2 a while ago. I'm certain that I will find out the scoop on this Monday
post #94 of 5101 Old 07-28-2007, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

DVRDude and DenonLover... first of all thanks for taking the time to give us all any info you can. I know sometimes it can be a pain with all of the questions and PMs.

One question that I think a lot of us have and one that all of the Onkyo folks like to use to bash the Denons is the deinterlace performance from 1080i to 1080p.

Can you tell us about the image quality of your HD channels? Maybe let the deinterlacer in your TVs process the image first and then turn on the Denon and give us your impressions.

It sounds like the Onkyos with their Reon do this very well and as long as the Denon with DCDi isn't a disaster I will be going with the Denon sicne I would really like to use Denon Link and their new add-on remote.

Thanks!

Sorry... My panel only does 1080i from the HDMI input.
post #95 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 12:46 AM

Hi when the auto setup detected that you speakers were out of phase. Were they actually out of phase? I've heard with some speakers they wire some of the drivers out of phase deliberately and this can give false results on these type of setup tests. Thats why there is usually an ignore option when it tells you the speaker is out of phase.

Have either of you tried the two HDMI outs. This feature interests me because I use a RPTV for everyday stuff and a projector for sports and movies?

Thanks.
post #96 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolfanJay View Post

Hi when the auto setup detected that you speakers were out of phase. Were they actually out of phase? I've heard with some speakers they wire some of the drivers out of phase deliberately and this can give false results on these type of setup tests. Thats why there is usually an ignore option when it tells you the speaker is out of phase.

Have either of you tried the two HDMI outs. This feature interests me because I use a RPTV for everyday stuff and a projector for sports and movies?

Thanks.

I *assumed* that Audyssey correctly measured the speaker out of phase. I don't know for certain, because the wires are buried in the ceiling and under the carpet. The guy that ran the wires certainly could have crossed things. If the external wires are not crossed, I suppose the driver could have been mis-wired like you said. In any case, it was the only speaker of the six that reported a problem. As soon as I flipped the +/-, Audyssey reported everything was okay.

I haven't tried my second HDMI output yet.
post #97 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreezetas View Post

As for your Infrant readyNAS go to http://www.twonkymedia.de/ and get the trial and load on.
Once set up you can then stream music and most likely pictures through the 4308.

Oh yea... I forgot about Twonky. I had switched to TVersity on my PC Server a while back. I didn't realize that they had an embedded app for the ReadyNAS. In any case, I installed it and it works great for Music streaming - the cover art even comes across. I can also get Shoutcast Internet Radio stations. I cannot get pictures to work though.

Thanks again for the tip.
post #98 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 02:43 AM

Hi DVRDude,

Very nice setup !

Question:
When I read most manuals (like Onkyo TX-SR875) they advise to leave at least 20 cm above for heat dispensing.

In the manual of Denon:
For proper heat dispersal do not install this unit in a confined space such as a bookcase or similar enclosure.

Don't you have any troubles with heat dispensing ?

Best regards,
Pete
post #99 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRDude View Post

Oh yea... I forgot about Twonky. I had switched to TVersity on my PC Server a while back. I didn't realize that they had an embedded app for the ReadyNAS. In any case, I installed it and it works great for Music streaming - the cover art even comes across. I can also get Shoutcast Internet Radio stations. I cannot get pictures to work though.

Thanks again for the tip.

Can you see the picture folder?
I just checked my setup and in Twonky under clients/security I had selected Denon.
This only allows music to be seen by the 4306.
When I changed it to generic media receiver it showed the picture folder but had (not play) after it.

I guess Twonky needs updating.
post #100 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 05:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolfanJay View Post

Thanks.

Good Morning DolfanJay,

When the setup told me 3 of my speakers were out of phase I switched the wires on all 3 of the speakers at the amp and the front left still came back with it being out of phase. When I swapped the speaker wire at the speaker it went on to tell me that I was successful and all speakers were in phase.

I am not sure I would know why to send out 2 HDMI outs? Does it give you the ability to see 2 things on the screen at the same time?

All: You are all very welcome and I wish I could help you get all of the questions you would like answered.
post #101 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVRDude View Post

Very nice! Thats what I wanted to hear. I will wait for that one also.

For my HD-DVD playback now, I believe that I read somewhere that Toshiba will release a firmware update to enable native bitstream on the XA2, but who knows. I've got an email into a knowledgeable guy at Toshiba that helped with a problem I was having with the XA2 a while ago. I'm certain that I will find out the scoop on this Monday

I was pretty happy to hear I would not need to buy the $2000 DVD-3800BDCI player and I really wish they had a price on the DVD-2500BTCI. It is nice to know there will be a stripped down version and my hope it that it will come in much, much lower.
post #102 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 05:47 AM

does the 4308 do hdmi upscaling/upconverting or is does it just do a passthrough for all hdmi sources?
post #103 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 06:38 AM

Hi there.....just a simple question hopefully someone can answer:

can you rename the inputs? for example change VDP to XBOX or DVD to HD-DVD. I would love for the renamed inputs to be displayed on the front panel and also be reflected in the GUI when you select inputs. I need a fool proof system.

many thanks.
post #104 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
1. Yes you can upscale HDMI;
2. Yes, you can rename inputs.
post #105 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 07:34 AM
gby

I am considering the Denon 3808/4308 or the Onkyo 875/905 and I have a question about multi-zone usage brought about by all those folks reporting audio delay problems with the Onkyo 805. In that thread they blame Audessy and say some amount of delay is required for that.

I intend to use the multi zone feature and will be using the Zone 2, Zone 3 outputs to other amps to speakers in adjacent rooms. Since you can hear the sound from adjacent rooms then all of the speakers need to be in sync or there will be ugly echo effects.

Has anyone run Zone 2,3 speakers yet? Can you run multiple zones with the same sound and have the Zone 1 main speakers Audessy equalized and the Zone 2, 3 outputs in perfect time sync? If the main zone is using processing such as THX or PLII x (which might delay the main zone) do the Zone 2,3 stereo outputs still stay perfectly in sync? Do you have to use pure direct/no processing mode for it to work?

Can someone with an 4308 do an experiment to be sure?????

I maybe worrying too much but I figure better to ask than be sorry later....
post #106 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 AM

Quote:

Thank you DuallyDave for the help but this stuff is always so hard for me to understand. I have an Apple Airport so I logged into Airport Admin Utility and selected Change Wireless Security since that was the only item I saw that was called wireless security. I selected WPA2 Personal and have it password set. The encrypion type is WPA and WPA2. Is a KEY normally a password or it something else? You mentioned a passphrase is that the same as a password? Sorry...

Password, key, passphrase, just different words for the same thing. With WEP, the password generates the key, with WPA the password IS the key. That password will be the same thing you enter when attaching other devices to your WPA wireless network, such as your hard drive.
post #107 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmMixer View Post

The 2900 is set to 480p?

I have tried the setup now in both 480i and 480p and it will not work either way. Thanks and iI thought I would try.
post #108 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 09:45 AM

Thanks Dvrdude for taking the trouble to reply.

No doubt when you get the internet radio connected you'll be giving your impressions on how good or otherwise it is.

Enjoy your machine - I envy you!

Thanks

Ron
post #109 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spie2 View Post

Hi DVRDude,

Very nice setup !

Question:
When I read most manuals (like Onkyo TX-SR875) they advise to leave at least 20 cm above for heat dispensing.

In the manual of Denon:
For proper heat dispersal do not install this unit in a confined space such as a bookcase or similar enclosure.

Don't you have any troubles with heat dispensing ?

Best regards,
Pete

Thanks Pete!

My rack is open in the back and front, and I left about 1 1/2" clearance on the top of the 4308. The 4308 case gets somewhat warm after a long (loud) movie, but nothing that I am concerned about.
post #110 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfreezetas View Post

Can you see the picture folder?
I just checked my setup and in Twonky under clients/security I had selected Denon.
This only allows music to be seen by the 4306.
When I changed it to generic media receiver it showed the picture folder but had (not play) after it.

I guess Twonky needs updating.

No, I couldn't see the Pictures folder with either the "Denon" or the "Generic Media Receiver" setting BUT... I tried the "Generic DLNA 1.5" setting and now I can see my Music, Pictures and Videos folders. Music and Pictures stream over perfectly. Unfortunately, I got my hopes up when I saw the list of all of my video files in the 4308 GUI, but none of them stream.
post #111 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 10:23 AM

DVRdude, Denonlover:

When you guys switch to cable, do you get something on your receivers that say "offset -7db" for instance? Do you have any idea how to adjust this? I'm testing out the 4308 and I keep getting this message when I first change to a cable tv source...
post #112 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 10:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARRAM View Post

Thanks Dvrdude for taking the trouble to reply.

No doubt when you get the internet radio connected you'll be giving your impressions on how good or otherwise it is.

Enjoy your machine - I envy you!

Thanks

Ron

Thanks to mrfreezetas, I have a solution to Internet Radio through my NAS box, but I would like to know why the 4308's native Internet Radio function does not work. I'll probably call Denon tomorrow.

I will also be curious to hear if DenonLover got Internet Radio to work on his 4308.
post #113 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBRhee View Post

DVRdude, Denonlover:

When you guys switch to cable, do you get something on your receivers that say "offset -7db" for instance? Do you have any idea how to adjust this? I'm testing out the 4308 and I keep getting this message when I first change to a cable tv source...

No, I have not seen that message on the 4308 display or on-screen. I am not using a cableTV source though.
post #114 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 495
Quote:

DVRdude, Denonlover:

That is the dialog norm offset present in Dolby Digital AC-3 bitstreams... you won't see that with PCM sources, or analog inputs.
post #115 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

If the 4308CI is anything like the 4306, the front display will indicate the Dialog Normalization and the offset. For my 4306 with every DD source with Dialog Norm I've seen has been -4db. I compensate on the HDTV (Charter with CableCARD) by adding +4db to the TV input.

-- "No matter where you go, there you are."

SXRD/Denon/Polk/PS3/360/WiiU
Blu-ray bliss

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

PSN: Uxi

post #116 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:

DVRdude, Denonlover:

This made me think of something; I apologize if this is answered in the manual but I didn't see it in my brief skim. Can you globally adjust a given input's sensitivity? For example my Wii is ridiculously louder than all my other inputs; when I watch everything else I listen from -30 to -20 and when I play the Wii I have to have it at like -50. Can I set the Wii input to automatically be down 20db? I presume that'd be referred to as an offset.

Erik

post #117 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Yes input levels can be offset as indicated on page 39 of the manual...see pic
LL
post #118 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikk View Post

This made me think of something; I apologize if this is answered in the manual but I didn't see it in my brief skim. Can you globally adjust a given input's sensitivity? For example my Wii is ridiculously louder than all my other inputs; when I watch everything else I listen from -30 to -20 and when I play the Wii I have to have it at like -50. Can I set the Wii input to automatically be down 20db? I presume that'd be referred to as an offset.

Yes, you can adjust the level by +/- 12db for the digital or analog audio input of any Source.
post #119 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 01:55 PM

Any sign of the speaker popping plaguing the Onkyo units thus far? Seems that the speakers pop when running a PS3 and some people are seeing it with other peripherals as well.
post #120 of 5101 Old 07-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Denonlover:

Have you been able to test the 1080i deinterlacing yet?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page