The "Official" Denon 4308ci Owners Thread - Page 52 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I watched Spiderman 3 the other day and the TrueHD track is phenominal. My 4308CI came to life like never before. Now that I have mastered some of the functions of the Denon, I am really starting to take notice how good it sounds. I have been doing side by side comparisons with the Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver. My mission is on hold due to a defect in the Onkyo. I will have a new one delivered next week. I have to say this much for the Denon, it has the superior ergonomics contest won. The clunky remote from Onkyo is a beast to use. More later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 08:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post

You do not need any special settings on the 4308 (other than choose HDMI as the option for Audio for the Input where the XA-2 is connected to - but I'm assuming you're already doing that). On the XA2 you need to enable Bistream. The 2.7 firmware adds a new option to the setup menu / Audio / Digital Direct Audio Mode / On / Off. You need to set it to on.

That is all there is to it. You should get Bistream, I did with the same combo.
Take care,

xa2 settings:
Digital out - Bitstream
Digital out HDMI - Auto
Digital Direct Audio Mode On

4308 settings (firmware updated 10/17 01.28):

Input Mode HDMI (tried Auto also)
Decode Mode Auto

Result for Batman Begins HD DVD
Dolby D + PLIIxC on display

Any settings I am missing?

"I like to watch" - Chauncey Gardiner in Being There
post #1533 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisBP View Post

xa2 settings:
Digital out - Bitstream
Digital out HDMI - Auto
Digital Direct Audio Mode On

4308 settings (firmware updated 10/17 01.28):

Input Mode HDMI (tried Auto also)
Decode Mode Auto

Result for Batman Begins HD DVD
Dolby D + PLIIxC on display

Any settings I am missing?

Assuming you did select the Dolby True HD language setting in the movie setup?

Next try setting your Denon audio parameter for SB OUT to OFF....should see Dolby TRUEHD. If you select PLII then you should see Dolby HD + PLII....

Give that a try. Works on mine with Batman Begins just fine.
post #1534 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

I watched Spiderman 3 the other day and the TrueHD track is phenominal. My 4308CI came to life like never before. Now that I have mastered some of the functions of the Denon, I am really starting to take notice how good it sounds. I have been doing side by side comparisons with the Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver. My mission is on hold due to a defect in the Onkyo. I will have a new one delivered next week. I have to say this much for the Denon, it has the superior ergonomics contest won. The clunky remote from Onkyo is a beast to use. More later.

I couldn't wait any longer - went with the 4308 last night. Firmware updated successfully. Tonight I'll get to play more and tomorrow should have a new XA2 to enjoy.
post #1535 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mskreis View Post

I couldn't wait any longer - went with the 4308 last night. Firmware updated successfully. Tonight I'll get to play more and tomorrow should have a new XA2 to enjoy.

4308 is a great receiver.

Later

Speakers: Martin Logan Montis, EM C2, Dual Depth I Subs, JBL S38 surround (upgrading soon) | Processor: Yamaha CX-A5000 | Amp: Sunfire TGA-5400 | Sources: DirecTV HR34, HTPC, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-103, PS4, PS3, Xbox One, Wii U | Television: Panasonic 65VT50 | Remote: Logitech Harmony Ultimate
post #1536 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 04:23 PM

Liked: 10
I can not get any picture to my optoma H79 projector. I am using 2 year old monoprice cable witch worked with myDenon 4806 witch I replaced. Any ideas? I can get a picture on small lcd tv with 8 ft hdmi cable. Just white snow shows up on projector.
post #1537 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 04:26 PM

How does one check current FW ver. from the front panel? I read it some where in this thread but can not find it. Also how do you get into the menu on the LCD screen without using the GUI on TV screen. Would like to preset some options. I assume this would be done by a sequence from the front panel also.

Thanks,

Citico

ED
post #1538 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by citico View Post

How does one check current FW ver. from the front panel? I read it some where in this thread but can not find it. Also how do you get into the menu on the LCD screen without using the GUI on TV screen. Would like to preset some options. I assume this would be done by a sequence from the front panel also.

I assume it would be just like the 3808. There is a Menu button both on the remote and behind the door that turns on both the LCD menus and the screen GUI at the same time. (If you want the menu on the LCD and NOT on the screen, I think you're out of luck.)

For firmware versions, turn off power at the small button (the one without the lighted ring). Then hold down both the Status and Return buttons (behind the door NOT on the remote) and turn on power with the small button. Once it finishes the startup you can cycle through all the firmware versions with the Status button.
post #1539 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 05:48 PM

Thank You. I will hook a monitor for the settings before installing.

Citico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

I assume it would be just like the 3808. There is a Menu button both on the remote and behind the door that turns on both the LCD menus and the screen GUI at the same time. (If you want the menu on the LCD and NOT on the screen, I think you're out of luck.)

For firmware versions, turn off power at the small button (the one without the lighted ring). Then hold down both the Status and Return buttons (behind the door NOT on the remote) and turn on power with the small button. Once it finishes the startup you can cycle through all the firmware versions with the Status button.

ED
post #1540 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 05:56 PM

Upgrade Question

Hello. I've been reading through this thread, and I am looking for a recommendation from other 4308 owners. I currently have a Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver in my HT setup. I was considering the 4308 as an upgrade. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

- David
post #1541 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 PM

unless you need a HD radio reciever, get the 3808.. save a grand.. want wifi? get a $100 wireless bridge..
post #1542 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 07:05 PM
Advanced Member

There are other differences between the 3808CI and the 4308CI. than what you just stated.
post #1543 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 07:58 PM

AVR4308CI & Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD

Tomorrow afternoon, local audio shop will deliver Pioneer Elite Pro-150FD.
I had a hard time move current TV/Sony KDS-R60XBR1 into empty bedroom.

I will see how good this setup.
post #1544 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 View Post

Upgrade Question

Hello. I've been reading through this thread, and I am looking for a recommendation from other 4308 owners. I currently have a Sony STR-DA5000ES receiver in my HT setup. I was considering the 4308 as an upgrade. Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

Well I will give the 4308 my whole hearted vote of confidence. If it's too rich for peoples blood they do make lesser units. My only experience is the 4308 and it shines. Audio is superb, especially when I watch Blu Ray with the Dolby TrueHD codec. I can't state unequivocally if the video section is at a par with the Onkyo units with the Reon. My 905 that I was auditioning is defective, a replacement is on the way. My 52XBR4 has such a great picture that I am not that stoked anymore about the Reon, so I can concentrate on the audio sections of both the Denon 4308CI and the Onkyo TX- NR905. If you can handle the high price tag of the Denon, I say go for it, and don't worry it is a solid performer.
post #1545 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

There are other differences between the 3808CI and the 4308CI. than what you just stated.

Outside of the fact that it has a Zone 4, what are they? Inquiring minds want to know.
post #1546 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I am very curious to what the other differences are between these 2 models.
Thanks.
post #1547 of 5093 Old 11-15-2007, 11:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmonier View Post

Outside of the fact that it has a Zone 4, what are they? Inquiring minds want to know.

Simultaneous & independent HD video & sound output in 2 separate zones.
post #1548 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Fosse View Post

I am very curious to what the other differences are between these 2 models.
Thanks.

Better amplifiers, more refined digital section. The 4308 is larger. I bought the 4308 over the 3808 because it ad AL24 across all 7 channels. I haven't heard the 3808 so I can't say that it actually sounds better. On paper it should.
post #1549 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 08:40 AM

Do you guys leave the A to H and H to H scaling on or off?
post #1550 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propman07 View Post

Upgrade Question

Thanks.

Purchasing the 4308 was my introduction to the complexities of current audio and visual technology. While I've made every attempt to keep my PC skills up to date, I have not followed all of the advances in the areas of sound and picture. That being said, I found understanding and setting up the Denon a bit challenging and frustrating at times. But, that's the way extremely versatile technology seems to be.

Now that I'm through my learning curve with still more to go, I can say that the sound I'm hearing is mesmerizing. I'm sure I still have the opportunity to make it even better the more I learn.

My purchase decision was based upon something that I think Winston Churchill is credited with saying. "I've never been disappointed with the very best." My purchasing power is such that I could afford the 4308. Not knowing where technology is going, I wanted an av receiver with as many features as I could get. If the 4308 us overkill, then so be it.

The Denon USA website has downloadable product literature as well as owner manuals. This might be a good way to do a specification 'side-by-side' comparison between the 3808 and the 4308. The rest is up to your eyes, ears and pocketbook. Best of luck with your decision. Once made, enjoy!

The Devil's in the Details
post #1551 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 12:43 PM

I finally got around to calling Denon about the quirks/issues I have with the WiFi and music streaming. I told them all of my issues and also said I was tested the exact same features on an Xbox 360 and PS3, all of which are connected via WiFi to a linksys WRT54GL so they couldn't blame Comcast.

Their general reply was that while they offer media streaming capabilities, the 4308 is an AVR first and foremost and should NOT be compared to how well streaming works on other devices. I told them that if that is their stance, they should charge an $900 premium over the 3808 when this is the main difference.

Here are the issues I gave them - I am streaming using WMP11 and have about 12,000+ files:

1) S-L-O-W : Scrolling through artists/songs/albums is excruciatingly slow. On the 360/PS3, the lists scroll like a hot knife through butter. Denon said: Sorry, we don't claim to be a fast media server. Me: How nice.

2) When you select a CD, the song titles are listed and played alphabetically rather than according to order on the album. 360 and PS3 show properly. Denon said: We know and we are working on it for a future firmware upgrade.

3) When selecting a CD that happens to have the exact same title as another artist, the songs from both abums show. For example, I choose an album entitled Greatest Hits by artist ABC. It just so happens that artist XYZ also has an album called Greatest Hits. While expecting to see the tracks from ABC, I see tracks from ABC and XYZ and once again they are interspersed and listed alphabetically. Denon said: Oh, we didn't know. We'll look into it.

I'm holding my breath....

Should have bought the 3808.

------------------------------------------------------
BinaryLinguist
post #1552 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 01:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Wifi issues asside how is the 4308ci as an avr. I have had the elite 94 for about a week, and just started decoding dd+ and true hd with tosh xa2. I am starting to notice a good bit of audio dropouts and it seems others have had this issue. I am more interested in avr performance. I know the 48 is more powerful than the 38 a bit. Anny advise thinking of ditching the 94 for the dennon. Thanks for any further oppinions. I had a 4608ci which was great but wanted latest decoding.

post #1553 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLinguist View Post

I finally got around to calling Denon about the quirks/issues I have with the WiFi and music streaming. I told them all of my issues and also said I was tested the exact same features on an Xbox 360 and PS3, all of which are connected via WiFi to a linksys WRT54GL so they couldn't blame Comcast.

Their general reply was that while they offer media streaming capabilities, the 4308 is an AVR first and foremost and should NOT be compared to how well streaming works on other devices.

1) S-L-O-W : Scrolling through artists/songs/albums is excruciatingly slow. On the 360/PS3, the lists scroll like a hot knife through butter. Denon said: Sorry, we don't claim to be a fast media server.

I've seen quirks as well when viewing jpg files from my pc. It is s-l-o-w as well. I concluded pretty much what Denon said. Streaming audio and still pics from a PC is not their forte. When the jpegs do display, they are quite nice. It just takes awhile for them to appear, and then takes much longer than 5 seconds to display and move on to the next one. Then, it seems to stop, regroup, and then eventually start again.

My solution is to connect my laptop directly to the TV monitor and let it do all of the work. While the resolution isn't as good, it does work. When I finally upgrade to HD, I'm thinking of getting a converter to change the RS232 output to HD format and connect directly as well.

One thing my Denon does do well is stream internet radio. I hardly ever loose a station, and when it does happen, it simply re-buffers and goes on. I'm really enjoying this feature. Is it worth the extra $$$? I don't know. I would hope the 4308 has more upgrades in it than a WiFi interface. In the meantime, I'm liking it.

The Devil's in the Details
post #1554 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by william06 View Post

Wifi issues asside how is the 4308ci as an avr. I have had the elite 94 for about a week, and just started decoding dd+ and true hd with tosh xa2. I am starting to notice a good bit of audio dropouts and it seems others have had this issue. I am more interested in avr performance. I know the 48 is more powerful than the 38 a bit. Anny advise thinking of ditching the 94 for the dennon. Thanks for any further oppinions. I had a 4608ci which was great but wanted latest decoding.

Not to worry about audio dropouts with the Denon. I am not experiencing them. That is one of the problems I have had with the Onkyo units. I have owned the 805, 875 and currently own the 905. The Onkyo's also have that miserable lag time when using the OSD. It's not a problem for the Denon 4308CI. Oh yeah, it sounds great too.
post #1555 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 PM

Still having issues with net radio and need some help. Got a new router, configured, actually getting the denon to connect. Shows up as "unknown" in the router webpage with the ip address and mac address correct. Go to net/usb, and try to get to Internet Radio, but I can't move the menu to the right. Hit the search button, which gives me a pg up and pg dn prompt. Hitting search again brings up a row of letters. Hitting an arrow makes it drop out. Also can't register my mac address at radiodenon.
Any help would be appreciated. I have looked through the thread already and can't find an answer that works.
post #1556 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 06:09 PM

ok, tried a wired connection, and netradio worked fine. It has to be a wireless issue. Tried UPnP on and off. Tried manually setting to 192.168.1.111, no help. Is there any setting I need to unclick to get it to work? I am seeing the signal strength as adequate (my palm which does b can download from the same area of the room.
post #1557 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 06:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
thanks for the info, looks like I am leaning to the denon.

post #1558 of 5093 Old 11-16-2007, 09:13 PM

I've had my 4308ci for about a month now and am still learning things. This avr has a lot to offer and even a few surprises. I am especially happy with the wireless and internet radio. I always wanted a player piano but I dont have the room for one but now using the Denon and SoloPiano.com I have my own piano playing throughout the house. I have run into a few quirks here and there but the benefits far outweigh any issues I have come across thus far.
post #1559 of 5093 Old 11-17-2007, 08:43 AM

John, I'm curious whether this is really true...

"Better amplifiers, more refined digital section. The 4308 is larger. I bought the 4308 over the 3808 because it ad AL24 across all 7 channels."

Better amps - I don't think we know that, it has slightly higher RMS power, and even more peak output (similar to the 3806 vs. 4606). Outside of that, is the amp section and power supply truly better? What's the difference in residual noise, SNR, hum, crosstalk, etc?

More refined digital section - if your comment is tied in to the AL24 feature, then I guess you could say it's more refined. That said, there are many reviewers that believe AL24 is a negative. But more importantly, is the digital front end more linear and decode accurately? I'd also like someone to dig into the receiver as the decoder of HD codecs vs. the source.

The 4308 is larger - well I won't argue that one. But the issue is really does that larger chassis translate into better components (power supply, analog output stages). Many times that change to a larger unit does indicate that the internals are different - but it's more of a clue, not proof.

The only professional review of the 3808ci that I've seen is from the UK's HifiNews. They're looking at the 4308ci in the next issue, and they do objective testing of the units. That's going to be the first real comparison that I know of between these two units. Outside of the features, I'm waiting for someone to dig in and tell us if there are truly core differences between the two.
post #1560 of 5093 Old 11-17-2007, 09:15 AM

After returning a post-firmware update-defective 3808ci, I just received the 4308ci yesterday (finally found a good deal and took that leap).

So far, the only real difference I've noted is the add'l $400 on my credit card statement.

I love it - I also loved the 3808. Both are great, eons better than the new batch of Onlyo's I tried, and between the 4308 and 3808, I still think the 3808 is the better deal, unless you really need the add'l HDMI out or add'l zones.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page