Forum Jump: 

Old 11-18-2007, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

According to FilmMixer, your Sony BD player will not send bitstream HD to the Denon like my Tosh XA2. Therefore, it will only display MULT CH IN on the display.

I recently bought a Toshiba HD-A2 (who didn't,right?). I was playing the NIN
sampler today. The 4308 says MULT CH IN in the display,but the TOSH says
DOLBY TRUE HD bitstream when I display it on the screen. The audio settings
for HDMI on the player are either AUTO or PCM. How are you getting your 4308 to display DOLBY TRUE HD? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, FRAN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRAN HEARLEY View Post

I recently bought a Toshiba HD-A2 (who didn't,right?). I was playing the NIN
sampler today. The 4308 says MULT CH IN in the display,but the TOSH says
DOLBY TRUE HD bitstream when I display it on the screen. The audio settings
for HDMI on the player are either AUTO or PCM. How are you getting your 4308 to display DOLBY TRUE HD? What am I doing wrong?
Thanks, FRAN

Ah yes, what a deal on that A2!

I do have the XA2, which is a different model and recently received a FW update that allows Direct Digital output, ie HBR (True HD) signals to be sent to the AVR.

The A2 does not have this....yet?

See this Thread re: the latest 2.7 FW update:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=937992

VERSION 2.7 FAQ

[1] Is there a Forced 1080p/24 mode? NO.

[2] Is 1080p/24 fixed (23.97)? YES.

[3] Is High Bitrate Audio (HBR) supported? YES - XA2 ONLY (SETUP - AUDIO-->DIGITAL DIRECT AUDIO MODE).To Enable HBR, Set DIGITAL DIRECT AUDIO MODE to ON and DIGITAL OUT HDMI to Auto.

However, this does NOT mean you will not get Dolby TrueHD from your A2! Select that in your movie and the A2 will decode and send to the Denon as PCM where the Denon will display it as MULTI CH IN. It makes no difference if the A2 does the decoding or the Denon of the True HD code.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:22 AM

[list]
I would like to thank BWCLARK and FILMMIXER for their explanation of why I was not seeing True Dolby Digital display on the 4308. It sound like it is working but the Sony processes it internally and displays MultiCh In on he 4308.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Liked: 11
Anyone still having the buzzing issue when using the per outs to an amp?
Old 11-19-2007, 12:24 PM

Does anyone know if the 4308 sounds any better than the 3808? I currently have a 3808 and am within the 30 day return policy and was thinking about upgrading to the 4308 strictly for "better sound." Does 10 watts more make a difference? I am driving 7.1 all Klipsch 150rms speakers. Any comments greatly appreciated. thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 PM

Hi Guys I'm new and I just had my family room installed with:

52 Sony LCD XBR5 - mounted
Monster HDP2400
PS3
D-Link gamer's router 4300
Inwalls Definetive Technology reference series 7.1
connected to a Denon 4308ci.
BDI Avion 8529 stand

My problems is connecting to the network. It was working fine, then I unplugged it yesterday to move it into the cabinet that was just delivered and now it states "network problem". It is currently connected through a wire (not 802.11). Last thing i did was connected a usb fan the night before to see if it would be a good i dea to keep it there to cool the receiver and then unplugged the fan. Woke up today and all it displays is "network problem" when attempting to connect. Tried wireless connection and it keeps failing. It does find my network when I am in network info tab under menu. SSID is there DHCP on, and MAC address. But missing IP address . Can someone help, is the product damaged or needs to be replaced, only had it for 2 weeks so far.

Any adjustments i need to make on my router? UPNP on or off? Does the wifi antennae need to be in place if I'm using wired connection?

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2007, 05:31 PM

Anyone here using optoma H79 projector with this receiver? I can not get any picture or gui screen, just alot of colored snow.. Tried monoprice HDMI cable then got a bluejeans cable and still no picture. Tried cables with sony xbr tv and they both work. I just replaced my denon AVR 4806 and it worked fine with that receiver. When it tryies to get signal it says VGA 1282 X 720 on old receiver it always said 1280 x 720. Tryed shuting off scaler in menu, different aspect , color space and nothing worked. Hooked it back up to AVR 4806 and it works fine. Anyone ?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMMOS View Post

I could never get it to go away. I ended up just using the internal amp for now, although I'd much rather use my Bryston/Lexicon.

Another real annoying problem is that the volume just changes randomly. The light isn't flashing on my IR repeater, so no one is sending commands.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:15 PM

Liked: 16
Changing the power plugs around diminished the buzzing for me. I had to run some extention cords around, but I got the buzzing to a level that was inaudible from my sweetspot. Try it and see if it helps for you.

"Unplugging the signal cable is pretty much the ultimate in component isolation. Now if you removed the AC power and it still did it you should look for the little blond girl saying "they're he-re."
Old 11-20-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a 7.1 setup and was wondering about the best surround mode setting. Thus far I have been using MATRIX. This seems to be the only setting for 5.1 signals that allows me get the 2 rear surround speakers to work. Am I missing anything here?

TIA!
____
Axel

Old 11-20-2007, 05:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DREAMMOS View Post

there is buzzing when using the preouts???? How long has this been an issue.. I am planning on picking up a 4308 this week and I want to use my A5 as the amp. Even getting the buzzing to a tolerable level is still not okay when taking into consideration the price of this unit...

I highly doubt a firmware update would fix this problem or am I wrong?

Any clarification would be great. This is very sad news if this happens for _everyone_ that uses preouts..

-------------------------------
My Setup Slideshow
Old 11-20-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tschuler77 View Post

Does anyone know if the 4308 sounds any better than the 3808? I currently have a 3808 and am within the 30 day return policy and was thinking about upgrading to the 4308 strictly for "better sound." Does 10 watts more make a difference? I am driving 7.1 all Klipsch 150rms speakers. Any comments greatly appreciated. thanks

You will improve your 3808 sound quality by adding a good amplifier.
There some amazing new D-series amps, I use the new Rotel 1085 with my 3808
and the sound is great. I think it's a better path than replacing it with 4308,
you can keep your amp for ever and just update 3808 in the future with
possibly a Pre-Pro or another receiver.
Old 11-21-2007, 01:53 PM

Is anyone aware of an FAQ on setting up a wireless network connection for the 4308, or a "wireless networking for dummies" post?

I haven't had much luck, and while I'm somewhat computer savvy I am not at all AVR savvy. I go into Network Setup, the receiver spots my router, and I select it and type in the password. It goes into "connecting" mode for a while and acts like it's connected, but I don't see an IP address and if I try to go into internet radio all I get is "network error."

Any advice or direction would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 11-21-2007, 04:55 PM

How is your wireless access point/router setup? Did you type the right WEP key (if you are using that)? Do you have a wired network connection plugged in also? If so, unplug it if you want to use wireless.

The SSID is case sensitive (at least it appears to be on the denon).
Old 11-21-2007, 05:07 PM

I'm using an Apple wireless router. The SSID appears to pick up okay (the recevier finds it automatically) and I use all caps when typing in the WPA, as suggested elsewhere. The receiver gets a MAC address, although I'm not sure if that's evidence it's successfully connecting to the router or not. The IP field is blank, so I'm suspecting there's an issue there. I have DHCP turned on, so I don't know what else can be done.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:11 PM

I searched this thread and didn't see any mention of this...sorry if it has already been discussed.

Initial experience with the JPEG slideshow function:
  • only about 1% of files were displayed
  • trying to select the files being skipped with the remote caused the GUI to freeze, and the unit would stop responding to the remote when attempting to navigate the net folders (I learned this was due to dropped/crashed net connection, verified by being unable to display web interface on my PC. Someone mentioned much earlier in this thread that resetting the unit solves this folder-navigating-freeze, but that's just because the unit was turned off with the little power button , --a reset isn't necessary-- and it's only a temporary fix, either way).
Solution:After several hours of trial and error, I realized the 4308 doesn't support JPG's in progressive format. As a web developer, I normally save most of my digital pictures with the progressive flag, but apparently I missed a few, enough for the slideshow to work (just for those few). As I began to re-save my photos with the "Standard" option, instead of "Progressive", they began to be included in the slideshow. Not having any progressive JPEG's in the same folder resolved the freeze/crash problem entirely.

Size doesn't matter that much:
Denon CS told me the hang-ups were due to size, but when I added a few 100kb generic windowsXP pictures to the slideshow, and they were displayed fluidly (almost instantly), yet my 2kb photos still weren't showing up, I knew something else was amiss (i.e., they were progressive jpg's).
Old 11-21-2007, 06:36 PM

"Please Wait...." But for how long?

Okay, I got the wireless working (I disconnected my wireless network extenders and that did the trick). Against my better judgment I started the firmware upgrade (I've had GUI lock-up problems that I understand might be fixed by the upgrade), and now I'm in Please Wait mode.

Any idea how long this should take? There's no indication on the receiver of how much progress it's made or how much time is left, but it's been running about 45 minutes.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn II View Post

"Please Wait...." But for how long?

Okay, I got the wireless working (I disconnected my wireless network extenders and that did the trick). Against my better judgment I started the firmware upgrade (I've had GUI lock-up problems that I understand might be fixed by the upgrade), and now I'm in Please Wait mode.

Any idea how long this should take? There's no indication on the receiver of how much progress it's made or how much time is left, but it's been running about 45 minutes.

Shutdown and start over...should not take more than 5 minutes to start downloading and installing. It may take you several times to finally get through the entire downloads and installs. Once it appears done..try the "Check for Update" again until it says "latest". Then you are done.
If it stalls at 1 min for more than a few minutes....shutdown and start again...it will advance to the last section of the update and try again.

Good luck...its a ********..
Old 11-21-2007, 07:00 PM

Thanks! Saved me a night of watching and waiting.

Do you know how to check the current Firmware version? I can't find an option for this in the menu (the FW menu itself only has Start and Cancel as options). I could save myself a headache by checking this first.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn II View Post

Thanks! Saved me a night of watching and waiting.

Do you know how to check the current Firmware version? I can't find an option for this in the menu (the FW menu itself only has Start and Cancel as options). I could save myself a headache by checking this first.

Power off with the main power small button ...see pic
Then use the same button, power on while holding the status and return buttons down. Once powered on press status repeatedly to get the various FW vers. see pic

Here is a post with the latest version numbers:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1469
LL
LL
Old 11-21-2007, 08:21 PM

Wonderful - thanks again. Got the update this time and no issues.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:10 AM

Ok here is my problem I wish someone can help.

Everytime I connect the Denon wireless or wired it kicks me off my internet service. I then have I to turn off the Denon and reset my router to connect to regular internet.

Someone tell whats going on here please.

I am using Lynksys wireless router with Comcast cable.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebmaster View Post

Everytime I connect the Denon wireless or wired it kicks me off my internet service. I then have I to turn off the Denon and reset my router to connect to regular internet.

Don't have a clue but I doubt it is a Denon issue.....perhaps Google for a Networking Forum?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:55 AM

Possible IP conflict?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebmaster View Post

Old 11-22-2007, 04:10 PM

It's turkey day and I finally decided to attempt a firmware upgrade via ethernet. All went well till I got to DSP2 Upgrading. Display locked at 41 minutes remaining and I waited for 45 minutes before powering down to reattempt the upgrade.

Now GUI seems to be scrambled...found firmware upgrade but that takes me to a quick select menu. It seems as though the GUI is scrambled and cannot find Options/firmware upgrade now.

Can I download the upgrade, place it on a USB drive and feed it to the receiver that way or can I roll back the firmware somehow?? Need step by step instructions on how to do so please??

Thanks In Advance...
Old 11-22-2007, 04:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorxxx View Post

It's turkey day and I finally decided to attempt a firmware upgrade via ethernet. All went well till I got to DSP2 Upgrading. Display locked at 41 minutes remaining and I waited for 45 minutes before powering down to reattempt the upgrade.

Now GUI seems to be scrambled...found firmware upgrade but that takes me to a quick select menu. It seems as though the GUI is scrambled and cannot find Options/firmware upgrade now.

Can I download the upgrade, place it on a USB drive and feed it to the receiver that way or can I roll back the firmware somehow?? Need step by step instructions on how to do so please??

Thanks In Advance...

You can only update the FW by way of the Internet. I would try a reset and see if that cleans up the GUI. see pic.
LL
Old 11-22-2007, 05:36 PM

Microprocessor reset does not work and did not work when trying it from reading posts...firmware update is still under Dolby PL II x... selecting it brings up 3 quickselect options..channel level, crossover frequency and surround speaker....menus now make absolutely no sense.... also tried the up/down key power select and it does not work either.... :-(
Old 11-22-2007, 05:37 PM

Well I am sad to say that my Denon 4308 may have just died. I was listening to music at a fairly low level then suddenly *poof* shutdown...and red ring or power death. Thinking maybe I had a wire that crossed I examined all my connections and powered my unit back up. My Denon would switch on for a second then CLICK off. I have tried to even do the master reset but...nothing. I unhooked all of my speakers and tried to power my 4308 up and click power down.

Looks like I will be calling Denon Tech tomorrow and most likely it will be going under the knife.

R.I.P. Denon 4308CI...you sound amazing, I love(ed) your features, and I will shed a tear when I drop you off at UPS tomorrow.

Anyone else experience this?

It is a sad Thanksgiving Day here.
Old 11-22-2007, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorxxx View Post

Microprocessor reset does not work and did not work when trying it from reading posts...firmware update is still under Dolby PL II x... selecting it brings up 3 quickselect options..channel level, crossover frequency and surround speaker....menus now make absolutely no sense.... also tried the up/down key power select and it does not work either.... :-(

DENON:
Customer Service hours of operation:
9:00 AM to 5:00 PM ET, M-F

Tel:
800-497-8921
201-762-6665
Fax:
201-762-6695
Old 11-22-2007, 06:34 PM

Hi. Has anyone assessed the NAD T775 / 785 against Denon 3808 /4308?

My home theatre will be based on Monitor Audio RS 6,LCR, FX,RS 1 + sub. Primary source will be Sony PS3 for CD, DVD and Blu-Ray.
Replacing my previous Marantz SR-96 receiver with a powerful, musical receiver that supports multichannel PCM over HDMI.

I'm not interested in multi-room, video upscaling, IPOD connectivity. I just want high quality, reliable music and sound over HDMI.

I have been assuming NAD will be the way to go but interested in any perspectives or experiences people have..

thanks, Raymond

Tags
Denon Avr 4308ci Receiver , Denon
Gear in this thread