Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
ltrtiger,

I wish i could and knew where one was too my friend. Keep your head up, i got a feeling something big is going ot happen before December.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post

ltrtiger,

I wish i could and knew where one was too my friend. Keep your head up, i got a feeling something big is going ot happen before December.

Before December? Man, I was holding out hope for the promised mid-October. Guess the rumors were true.....assuming you're talking about the Integra and not something new from another manufacturer? I'm almost to the point of just picking up the Parasound or another pre to hold me until things settle down with the Integra/Onkyo line and perhaps some of the other manufacturers start releasing some of their new gear.
post #273 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 07:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 159
My 885 is working fine the Head phone icon is gone, since it return from Onkyo...I plugged and play nothing fancy...I 'll set up on Friday night..That's when question starts..

Djoel
post #274 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

My 885 is working fine the Head phone icon is gone, since it return from Onkyo...I plugged and play nothing fancy...I 'll set up on Friday night..That's when question starts..

Djoel

Daniel,

Glad to hear you are up and running. When you powered up the 885 were you looking right at the headphone icon? Did Onkyo say what the problem was?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #275 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltrtiger View Post

Before December? Man, I was holding out hope for the promised mid-October. Guess the rumors were true.....assuming you're talking about the Integra and not something new from another manufacturer? I'm almost to the point of just picking up the Parasound or another pre to hold me until things settle down with the Integra/Onkyo line and perhaps some of the other manufacturers start releasing some of their new gear.

I just have this feeling that they Integra/Onkyo are going to send a huge shipment in to the US before Dec. Call it a gut feeling, they know what is at stake (loosing new and old customers) and their competition has to know it too. No other company is offering a product like this (Pre/Pro) at any price range yet, and they have the early jump. Integra/Onkyo know they got caught with their pants down on this one, someone in the company had to say who knew the 9.8/885 and AVR's would be this in demand! I'm sure they are breaking their necks trying to get more out the door, we are just in limbo waiting to hear something concrete from them.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #276 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 08:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

Daniel,

Glad to hear you are up and running. When you powered up the 885 were you looking right at the headphone icon? Did Onkyo say what the problem was?

Bill

Thanks Bill

Lol! You know I was looking to see if that thing would pop up it's ugly head....As far as I concern I never want to see that thing ever again...

Yeah I would think I would get some sort of report from them, I got a pen & key chain did I mention that yet

Hey did you get yours yet?

Djoel
post #277 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 08:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:

Thanks Bill

Lol! You know I was looking to see if that thing would pop up it's ugly head....As far as I concern I never want to see that thing ever again...

Yeah I would think I would get some sort of report from them, I got a pen & key chain did I mention that yet

Hey did you get yours yet?

Djoel

You could throw the pen and key chain on e-bay, you never know they could be valuable!

I bought a 905 today and it should arrive on Tuesday. I hope I don't see the dreaded Headphone Icon! I am really looking forward to comparing the 905 to the AVM 30. Will post my impressions when I am up and running.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #278 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 09:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I'll be using the D-Sonic Magnum ICE amp. Loved their monos so this was a no brainer for my HT.

ltrtiger,

I've been interested in the 7 channel D-Sonic Ice amp for a while myself. However, I can find not even a single review, test report, or owners report anywhere. Can you compare this to any other current amplifiers in terms of sound quality? Thanks.

John
post #279 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Mac View Post

You could throw the pen and key chain on e-bay, you never know they could be valuable!

I bought a 905 today and it should arrive on Tuesday. I hope I don't see the dreaded Headphone Icon! I am really looking forward to comparing the 905 to the AVM 30. Will post my impressions when I am up and running.

Bill

I'll ask my girl to put it on her ebay account, she love to sell anything she gets her little hands on...

You wouldn't get the dreaded HPICON those things happen to people like me..I had this thing about a month ago. Mind you by chance, while a professional A/V calibrator was coming to my home to do up my entire system and POW a damage unit. The super tweak goes down the toilet...These thing only happen to me...I am that guy Believe me I've miss the boat in so many ways...

Did some light listening (Natalie Merchant), have to say I like what I heard.
Not to sure the big differences between the AVM30 at the moment..But there is a sense of openness...that's not right! I'll do some critical listening, over the weekend after much calibrating that is.
It's going to be a busy weekend, recalibrating the SMS1 as well..

Just have to get use to the controls, speaking of control I wonder if Harmony have these codes in their data base...I read some where they had not...It was a few weeks ago...

Thank for your help.

Daniel
post #280 of 5571 Old 10-03-2007, 10:28 PM

Hello forum.....will these units be available in 230volt/50hz?????/
I would really like to know...there must be a few Onkyo "experts" on this forum.

I have already bought an 905 in 230volt..................really need the balanced in/outs.

Thanks,.......
post #281 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 05:34 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post

I'm running a 9.8 on 5 Outlaw 2200 mono blocks and a Adcom GFA-545, i find that the Outlaws mate very well with the 9.8. I'm very happy with the sound quality with music and movies!

Great to hear, I'm sure your happy with it, that's a great setup. I've been looking at those mono blocks, and while I think it'd be cool to have separate amps compared to their all in one 200W x 7 unit, I have to decide how much room I want to devote to it, as my shelves are about at their max already! Not sure if there's much of a sound difference, but even if not, I like the idea of the mono blocks.

Based on the technology changes in the past few years, it seems like this Onkyo could be purchased now, and utilized for many years without concern for replacement, especially with all the new HDMI technology that's gone into the unit, which makes this thing even more appealing.

Off to find how much it'll cost, the closest authorized dealer is 150 miles away so hopefully I can make some phone calls...
post #282 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

ltrtiger,

I've been interested in the 7 channel D-Sonic Ice amp for a while myself. However, I can find not even a single review, test report, or owners report anywhere. Can you compare this to any other current amplifiers in terms of sound quality? Thanks.

John

I'm in the same boat. I've just purchased the D-Sonic as I'd been very curious about the ICE technology for some time myself. All of my previous 2 channel setups have been exclusively tube amps. This will be my first experience with SS amps since way back in the day when the Hafler 500 was at the heart of my setup. Not sure how I'll enjoy going from tubes to SS, but hey, you gotta give it a try right? Anyway, the Magnum is sitting here all nice and pretty waiting for a pre to arrive. Right now all I get to enjoy is my current receiver which is lackluster at best. So I guess I wait. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I do have a friend who's using the D-Sonic monos with the Selah Audio 3D's and he loves them. Figured they were worth a shot.
post #283 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

Just have to get use to the controls, speaking of control I wonder if Harmony have these codes in their data base...I read some where they had not...It was a few weeks ago...

I set my Harmony 520 up last Saturday. It is in the database, but not as the PR-SC885P, just enter PR-SC885 (no P). There were only a couple of buttons missing for the way I wanted mine to work. Easy to add them though.
post #284 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 07:37 AM

Well, I'm at a loss here. I've received replies from everyone involved to my specific question about Troxell being an authorized dealer. On the one hand, Troxell says that they are, indeed, authorized dealers. On the other, Ray at Onkyo Pro says no they aren't. I surrender.
post #285 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

ltrtiger,

John

Just do a search on ICEpower 1000ASP, you'll find reviews on all kinds of amps using the various ICEpower modules - and like I've been telling anyone who'll listen - there's really nothing to be done to these modules other than putting them in a case and hooking up the connectors - so reviews on a Rotel 1092 or Bel Canto Ref 1000 and the likes are valid when considering the D-Sonic.
post #286 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I continue to see it referenced that the 905 has additional video control over the 885. Or conversely, the Integra 8.8 over the 9.8.

Can someone tell me what exactly these additional features are that the two AVR’s have over the two pre/pro’s??
post #287 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

I set my Harmony 520 up last Saturday. It is in the database, but not as the PR-SC885P, just enter PR-SC885 (no P). There were only a couple of buttons missing for the way I wanted mine to work. Easy to add them though.

Great info, the Harmony database is full of these little errors, and i kept working for days on one other piece of equipment just because of one letter. Still, the Harmony is the champ IMHO.

Did i tell you how pissed i get when i read all the remote comparos that omit the Harmony, just like the screen reviews that omit Carada? Damn, greed runs this land.
post #288 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingeek View Post

I'm running an Emotiva IPS-1 amp with my 885. It has more headroom than I will ever push it past. Sounds great.

I'll be pairing the 885(when I finally get it) with the IPS-1 too.
Currently I am using a Denon 3805 as a pre/pro.

No problems at all with this combo?

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #289 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 09:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Djoel

Daniel,

Glad to hear everything is ok. Hopefully the Mythos Ten will arrive soon
and you can set up the Ten with the ST's as I am eager to hear your
impressions on how the Onkyo sounds with your setup.

Mike

post #290 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:

Well, I'm at a loss here. I've received replies from everyone involved to my specific question about Troxell being an authorized dealer. On the one hand, Troxell says that they are, indeed, authorized dealers. On the other, Ray at Onkyo Pro says no they aren't. I surrender.

I didn't speak to Onkyo Pro directly but Projector.com (where I ordered mine) is saying the 885 is coming from Eiki and since Eiki is an authorized distributor, I will get support. I am still not 100% thrilled by the response. what to do??

The estimated ship for me is Oct 31st. I'm not holding my breath though
post #291 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

I'll be pairing the 885(when I finally get it) with the IPS-1 too.
Currently I am using a Denon 3805 as a pre/pro.

No problems at all with this combo?

No problems what so ever.
I upgraded from the 3805 also. You will be very happy with the 885.
There is allot more headroom on the 885 with the IPS-1. The 3805 would top out at times at reference levels. Might be that it wasn't a true pre-pro, but the 885 will go much further than I am willing to push my speakers.

I really enjoyed the 3805, still do as it runs my tv set-up, but the Onkyo was a big step up in performance for me.

Geek
post #292 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quack724 View Post

I didn't speak to Onkyo Pro directly but Projector.com (where I ordered mine) is saying the 885 is coming from Eiki and since Eiki is an authorized distributor, I will get support. I am still not 100% thrilled by the response. what to do??

The estimated ship for me is Oct 31st. I'm not holding my breath though

It does put a buyer in a bit of an awkward position doesn't it? An dealer who may or may not be authorized/recognized by Onkyo Pro is getting units from an authorized distributor. Then if something happens how would Onkyo come down on this one? Would they overlook the non-authorized dealer issue since the unit came from the authorized distributor or would they say that the owner would be on his own? I think I'm going to hold a bit longer for the Integra or the 885 from a verifiable authorized source. Of course, as the weeks drag on by, I wonder how many times I'll come close to buying from any source.
post #293 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 01:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingeek View Post

No problems what so ever.
I upgraded from the 3805 also. You will be very happy with the 885.
There is allot more headroom on the 885 with the IPS-1. The 3805 would top out at times at reference levels. Might be that it wasn't a true pre-pro, but the 885 will go much further than I am willing to push my speakers.

I really enjoyed the 3805, still do as it runs my tv set-up, but the Onkyo was a big step up in performance for me.

Geek

Thanks for the info. Great feedback. My 3805/IPS-1 combo sounds very
good to me, but after reading your comments it makes the wait for the
885 even tougher.

post #294 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spkrgeek View Post

Like others here I ordered the 885 from Troxell earlier this week. It seems like Troxell does indeed ship directly from Eiki and that Eiki now has an ETA for the end of October for new 885 orders.

Customer service at Troxell seems great. The rep I spoke with today called Eiki directly to get the status of my order and then called me back as promised. The person I spoke with was very friendly and professional. She offered to cancel my order, but I decided to keep the order open since the service has been excellent thus far.

As far as the warranty goes, I don't think that this is a big deal. If you look at what Troxell is doing with Eiki, this does not fit the definition of Gray Market goods. I expect that the CS at Onkyo may be trained to send people to the vendors listed on the website dealer database by default.

I have the same sentiments to share about Troxell. I suspect I will be receiving mine at or around the same as you. If there are any doubts about authorization and warranties, keep your in-box packaging slip from the distributor.

Now, some of you have this unit in hand, and have been listening to music for quite some time. WE NEED MORE DETAILS PEOPLE!!!!!! Tell me how this unit sounds with the amps your using. Didn't I read that there's a huge torodial transformer inside this preamp? So with that, and the one or two inside your multi-channel amps, it's gotta be downright meticulous. Come on now! This is your time to gloat. Don't hold back. Make me jealous.
post #295 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Daniel,

Glad to hear everything is ok. Hopefully the Mythos Ten will arrive soon
and you can set up the Ten with the ST's as I am eager to hear your
impressions on how the Onkyo sounds with your setup.

Mike

I'm about to explode here at work, so you know I am eager as hell to start tweaking away ...
I am just missing that one piece of the puzzle! The MTen....

You'll be the first to hear, what I think about this set...

Thanks Mike

Daniel
post #296 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 02:30 PM

Quote:

ltrtiger,

John

Never heard of the D-Sonic Magnum with "ICEPower" until now. So I did a quick google and it turns out were just talking about a class D amp. Nothing new here is there? Sunfire has been doing this for years. I digress.
post #297 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstein View Post

Sunfire has been doing this for years.

Not a 1000w @ 4ohms multi mono-block design....
post #298 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

touche'
post #299 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 03:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnrgagne View Post

Nope, my 5 channel Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature only does 5x400w * 8 ohms (2000w).
It also doubles that into 4 ohms, only limited by the 15Amp circuit

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #300 of 5571 Old 10-04-2007, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstein View Post

Now, some of you have this unit in hand, and have been listening to music for quite some time. WE NEED MORE DETAILS PEOPLE!!!!!! Tell me how this unit sounds with the amps your using. Didn't I read that there's a huge torodial transformer inside this preamp? So with that, and the one or two inside your multi-channel amps, it's gotta be downright meticulous. Come on now! This is your time to gloat. Don't hold back. Make me jealous.

You can read my review on the 9.8 here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=1746

You can read Tim's review on the 885 here

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...9&postcount=84

Here are some photos of the inside of the 9.8 and 885.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page