Forum Jump: 

post #5521 of 5572 Old 07-13-2011, 01:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello,
It has been a while since I had my VSX-49txi, but if memory serves the 49 and 59 both have Preamp and Main In to where you can use nothing but the internal amplifiers in the Pioneer without there being any issues with cascading crossovers, etc... The only other AVR I have owned that offers this is my Marantz Reference SR-19EX. Most AVR's with only offers Preamp Outputs and not Main In.

I am not saying that an Outboard Amplifier would not be superior. Just that this is a slightly different situation than most AVR's. It is also the only way I would think that the 885 would even work with the Pioneer to begin with. The 59txi was a very expensive AVR and weighs over 70 Pounds out of the box.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5522 of 5572 Old 07-29-2011, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Hopefully something stupid on my end, but I'm having an issue. I am getting no sound through my right surround speaker. I have checked the speaker (fine), speaker cable (fine), checked the amplifier channel of my surround amp (fine), and checked my interconnect from my 885 to the amplifier (fine). I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Denon 4311ci with Mini DSP and antimodeL/R -DIYSOUND tempest towers (40" tall towers)C - DIYSOUND alchemy 8LS/RS - community D6MACHTSUB SYSTEM2-Stereo Integrity HST-18 D1 subs (happy dance) in dual 12 cuft ported tuned 16hzSub amp- Speakerpower SP2-12000
post #5523 of 5572 Old 07-29-2011, 05:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebuckaman View Post

Hopefully something stupid on my end, but I'm having an issue. I am getting no sound through my right surround speaker. I have checked the speaker (fine), speaker cable (fine), checked the amplifier channel of my surround amp (fine), and checked my interconnect from my 885 to the amplifier (fine). I am at a loss. Any ideas?

Did you try swapping cables around to determine if it is an issue with the RS amp channel or the preout of the 885?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5524 of 5572 Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 61
So far, I have done the following:

I pulled the speaker from the ceiling and ran it off my receiver in the basement. Worked fine.

I swapped the left surround cable to the right surround input and the right surround worked (should have done this first so I didn't have to take the speaker out).

I have verified that no input is present on the amplifier from the right surround preout from the 885

I have swapped in a new cable from the 885 right surround out to the amplifier with no positive result

Frustrating...

Denon 4311ci with Mini DSP and antimodeL/R -DIYSOUND tempest towers (40" tall towers)C - DIYSOUND alchemy 8LS/RS - community D6MACHTSUB SYSTEM2-Stereo Integrity HST-18 D1 subs (happy dance) in dual 12 cuft ported tuned 16hzSub amp- Speakerpower SP2-12000
post #5525 of 5572 Old 08-27-2011, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Guys-

A recent video issue has popped up with my PR-SC885. I have an HTPC, Uverse, Wii, and PS3 connected via HDMI (Wii is Component), with HDMI out to a Samsung LCD. In increasing efficiency I either get no video output at all - sound works fine - or a weird green/purple screen like this:

Sometimes I can switch to another input and it works ok (e.g. won't work on Uverse, but I can watch a movie from my HTPC). Other times I get nothing but the above screen, or no output at all.

It's not my HDMI output cable - I can plug it directly into a source and bypass the 885 no problem.

Any ideas at all before I take it in for service and be totally out of commission, or worse have to replace it? Thanks in advance!
post #5526 of 5572 Old 08-27-2011, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Colbysheridan,

Where is the 885 located? I have the same issue with mine where I randomly loose video but audio is fine. It started when I had it located in a shelving unit that must not have had enough air flow on top. The first time it happened I placed my hand over the vents on the top and it was very hot. I have since moved it out into the open and have two USB powered fans pulling the air from the unit. Even with this, there are still times the video drops and I have to power cycle the unit to get video back

I am not sure if these models have had HDMI board issues but in one of the service manuals I have for this unit, the HDMI board is 1K, so to me that is to much to spend to repair this model. I am just trying to get mine to stay alive long enough for newer models to come out (past the 5508).

James
post #5527 of 5572 Old 08-27-2011, 06:20 PM

Hi James-

It's on an equipment rack with plenty of ventilation. Yikes - $1000 for the board, huh? Yeah, might just have to make this one last as much as possible. Tks.
post #5528 of 5572 Old 08-27-2011, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
I would just put your handle over that back ventilation area when it is running normally and then when the video cuts out to see if it feels different.

The 1K came out of the manual itself, I am not sure if that is what you (or anyone for that matter) would be charged for one.

James
post #5529 of 5572 Old 08-30-2011, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
hi guys,

I just got PR 5508 preamp few days ago, Need some help. Fustrasted in trying to figure this out.

The first time i setup my unit, on Pure Direct mode I selected Subwoofer Output as on, It was working fine, the pure audio and Direct mode were sending signal to my subwoofer. Now iv done something on the setting which i cant remember what, I am no longer getting Sub signals on direct or pure mode. Just only stero.

Direct and pure mode on Info Tab is showing me 2.2 So its switched on correctly on the preamp

What am i doing wrong?

Home Theatre: Onkyo PR SC 5509, ATI 3007 Danley SH50, Danley SH69, Danley SH100 (Rear), Seaton Subwoofer X 2, Custom Made Acoustic Panels and Bass Traps.

2 Channel System: Philharmonics 3, GD Audio Master 2 Mono Blocks, GD Audio Master 1 Pre-Amp. Wireworld Eclipse Gold 5 Silver XLR, Clear Day...
post #5530 of 5572 Old 09-20-2011, 08:23 PM

ColbySheridan,
I came home this afternoon and my system was doing the same thing (except the display was pink bars). It was doing it on all input sources so I suspected the 885. I disconnected my Blu Ray player and plugged it directly into the TV and that worked fine so at that point I was pretty sure it was the prepro. I turned everything off and when I came back in about 4 hours later, it worked fine. This has happened once or twice before so I don't know if this is going to start doing this more frequently until it goes out for good or what. I sure hope the repairs on it don't run $1,000 if I do have to get it fixed. It'll stay broken.

SONY 52" KDL-52XBR4 -- ONKYO PRO PR-SC885P Preamp
EMOTIVA MPS-2 -- DirecTv HR20
SONY BDP S3100 -- ATHENA AS F2-1 LCR
KLIPSCH RS-42 Surrounds -- VELODYNE 15" DLS-5000R Sub
FURMAN M5500-EX Power Conditioner -- HARMONY 890 Pro
post #5531 of 5572 Old 10-22-2011, 06:04 AM
Advanced Member

I read on this thread about the poor analoge input on the 885, but decided to try it anyway with an Oppo BDP-83SE. Colour me impressed Now I only watched some of the Police BD and scenes from Transformers 3 but wow. Once I had the bass balanced, which was just short of hair pulling, the detail really came to life. Switching back and forth from the HDMI input to the 8 channel analoge (simple as a couple button pushes on the remotes) the HDMI sound is clearly louder, but has a harshness I never noticed before in comparison to the analoge connection.
I found the surrounds to be more alive and invisible, that is to say the soundfield was more immersive and you could not tell where the speakers were located just that you are surrounded by them. The level of detail in the music while watching the Police BD was almost jaw dropping, I have played this BD many times and it has excellent AQ but this session clearly topped earlier viewings. When switching connections back and forth I noticed the same thing, the HDMI connection was louder and had a harshness to it, the bass also seemed bloated in comparison to the very tight bass I am now getting through the analoge connections.
Now one thing I found odd in trying to get the bass correct, the 885 has an option to boost bass from the multi channel inputs, called input sensitivety.(analoge) Default was set at 10db, I increased to 15db but very little lfe output. I set the trim output on the Oppo to 0, but still weak lfe output. I decided to try and set the 885's analoge sensitivety higher but only goes to 15db, tried to lower it to 0db, Bingo! Tight deep room filling bass with excellent dynamics.
In closing I am not sure why this unit is knocked for it's analoge inputs, perhaps it was the BD player they are using has less than steller DAC's. The Oppo BDP-83SE has excellent DAC's so that is probably the reason for my smile inducing results.
Gear used,
Onkyo 885 pre/pro
Oppo BDP-83SE 8 channel analoge output
Rotel 1075 5 channel amp
Bryston 4b running front main speakers
Monitor Audio RS-6
Monitor Audio RSLCR
Monitor Audio SFX surrounds x2 pairs
SVS 20-39 cylindrical sub
Cheers
post #5532 of 5572 Old 10-22-2011, 06:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

I read on this thread about the poor analoge input on the 885, but decided to try it anyway with an Oppo BDP-83SE. Colour me impressed Now I only watched some of the Police BD and scenes from Transformers 3 but wow. Once I had the bass balanced, which was just short of hair pulling, the detail really came to life. Switching back and forth from the HDMI input to the 8 channel analoge (simple as a couple button pushes on the remotes) the HDMI sound is clearly louder, but has a harshness I never noticed before in comparison to the analoge connection.
I found the surrounds to be more alive and invisible, that is to say the soundfield was more immersive and you could not tell where the speakers were located just that you are surrounded by them. The level of detail in the music while watching the Police BD was almost jaw dropping, I have played this BD many times and it has excellent AQ but this session clearly topped earlier viewings. When switching connections back and forth I noticed the same thing, the HDMI connection was louder and had a harshness to it, the bass also seemed bloated in comparison to the very tight bass I am now getting through the analoge connections.
Now one thing I found odd in trying to get the bass correct, the 885 has an option to boost bass from the multi channel inputs, called input sensitivety.(analoge) Default was set at 10db, I increased to 15db but very little lfe output. I set the trim output on the Oppo to 0, but still weak lfe output. I decided to try and set the 885's analoge sensitivety higher but only goes to 15db, tried to lower it to 0db, Bingo! Tight deep room filling bass with excellent dynamics.
In closing I am not sure why this unit is knocked for it's analoge inputs, perhaps it was the BD player they are using has less than steller DAC's. The Oppo BDP-83SE has excellent DAC's so that is probably the reason for my smile inducing results.
Gear used,
Onkyo 885 pre/pro
Oppo BDP-83SE 8 channel analoge output
Rotel 1075 5 channel amp
Bryston 4b running front main speakers
Monitor Audio RS-6
Monitor Audio RSLCR
Monitor Audio SFX surrounds x2 pairs
SVS 20-39 cylindrical sub
Cheers

Htdude,

I have found the same results when using the MCH analog output of my 83SE to the MCH analog input of my 886. The one thing I would suggest is setting the speaker volume levels in the 83SE with an audio calibration disc like the S&M disc that comes with the 83SE. Then you will have an accurate speaker level balance on all channels. Also set the speaker distances as well if you haven't already. For MCH music such as SACD/DVD-As I much prefer MCH analog to using HDMI with or without Audyssey. You will find 2CH music sounds excellent as well when using MCH analog as well!

Bill

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5533 of 5572 Old 10-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice! I have set the distances but not the levels yet.
Did you have to adjust the input sensitivety on the 886?
I am looking forward to spinning some SACD's today.
cheers
post #5534 of 5572 Old 11-02-2011, 02:45 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Vader View Post

ColbySheridan,
I came home this afternoon and my system was doing the same thing (except the display was pink bars). It was doing it on all input sources so I suspected the 885. I disconnected my Blu Ray player and plugged it directly into the TV and that worked fine so at that point I was pretty sure it was the prepro. I turned everything off and when I came back in about 4 hours later, it worked fine. This has happened once or twice before so I don't know if this is going to start doing this more frequently until it goes out for good or what. I sure hope the repairs on it don't run $1,000 if I do have to get it fixed. It'll stay broken.

My unit had the same problem. Has anyone actually dealt with Onkyo about this, and if so what are they charging to repair?
post #5535 of 5572 Old 11-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

I tried hooking my XPA-3 with xlr connections from an Onkyo 885P pre/pro. At first sounded great (no rca vs xlr debate please) shortly after the XPA-3 went into protection mode flashing the left speaker red light? upon restarting had a loud hiss coming from the same speaker Unplugged the amp tried again, works fine for a while then the same thing happens, or anytime I shut the pre/pro off it happens??? Went back to RCA connections, problem gone.
Could this be caused by a short in the balanced input on the XPA-3 or the pre/pro's output?

And I have tried swapping the cables, the issue is still on the same channel.
I have also posted this on the Emotiva thread.
Thanks in advance!
post #5536 of 5572 Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Htdude14 View Post

Could this be caused by a short in the balanced input on the XPA-3 or the pre/pro's output?

And I have tried swapping the cables, the issue is still on the same channel.

You should know by doing this:
1. Disconnect all cables except the one connected to the problem channel.
2. Power up and confirm that the channel is still defective.
3. Power down, re-attach the preamp end of the cable to a different output channel, power up and note if there is satisfactory sound. If yes, the problem is in the preamp. If no, the problem is in the amp.

To confirm all this:
1. Disconnect all cables except the one connected to the problem channel.
2. Power up and confirm that the channel is still defective.
3. Power down, re-attach the power amp end of the cable to a different input channel, power up and note if there is satisfactory sound. If yes, the problem is in the power amp. If no, the problem is in the preamp.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5537 of 5572 Old 11-22-2011, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks Kal! I will try that and report back.
cheers
post #5538 of 5572 Old 11-23-2011, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Amp input, thanks again kal for helping narrow it down. Any idea what would cause this?
post #5539 of 5572 Old 11-27-2011, 03:32 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I find that having Dolby Digital Direct sounds better than Dolby Digital by itself. I find that voices sound much more clear.... *** Why would that be?*** What is turned on and off with the "Direct" mode? I also find that "Pure Audio" sounds about the same as "Direct" as well. Using Audyssey.

Subwoofer: yes
Front: 40 Hz
Center 80 Hx
Surround 60 Hz
LPF of LFE 80 Hz

I am using Focal 918's for Right and Left. I have a Speakercraft Center Channel (THX) above the TV which is above the Fireplace, angled down at the listener) and 2 front firing (Direct Radiating) surround speakers 3.5 feet above listener in rear. couch against rear wall. sub is Velodyne DD15CH

I would like to get the same type of speech clarity but keep Audyssey "on". (When yoiu go into Pure Audio or Direct mode, it turns Audyssey "off" )

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #5540 of 5572 Old 11-28-2011, 08:50 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
bump

Michael James
Cincinnati, Ohio
post #5541 of 5572 Old 11-28-2011, 12:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael James View Post

I find that having Dolby Digital Direct sounds better than Dolby Digital by itself. I find that voices sound much more clear.... *** Why would that be?*** What is turned on and off with the "Direct" mode? I also find that "Pure Audio" sounds about the same as "Direct" as well. Using Audyssey.

Subwoofer: yes
Front: 40 Hz
Center 80 Hx
Surround 60 Hz
LPF of LFE 80 Hz

I am using Focal 918's for Right and Left. I have a Speakercraft Center Channel (THX) above the TV which is above the Fireplace, angled down at the listener) and 2 front firing (Direct Radiating) surround speakers 3.5 feet above listener in rear. couch against rear wall. sub is Velodyne DD15CH

I would like to get the same type of speech clarity but keep Audyssey "on". (When yoiu go into Pure Audio or Direct mode, it turns Audyssey "off" )

Michael,

I would try setting all your speakers to 80Hz and the LPF/LFE to 120Hz. Have you checked all your speaker level settings with a SPL meter? If not I would do that as that might be helpful. After I run Audyssey with my 886 I set all the X-over settings to 80Hz and then check all the speaker level settings as well as the distance settings. If the speaker levels are not at 75dB with my SPL meter I set them so they are all at 75dB with the SPL meter positioned at the main listening position.

You could also check out the Audyssey setup guide linked below. I found the setup guide to be very helpful as I was doing the calibration correctly.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...5#post14456895

Bill

post #5542 of 5572 Old 12-01-2011, 07:11 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I was checking out the App for the iPhone that allows you to control Onkyo components via wifi through the phone when connecting the component to a home LAN. I know that the 885 has an ethernet jack on the back, but I'm guessing there is no firmware upgrade that would allow use of this app? Did anyone ever find a use for this jack?

What was the last/final firmware upgrade? 1.07?

Thos.
post #5543 of 5572 Old 12-02-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post

I was checking out the App for the iPhone that allows you to control Onkyo components via wifi through the phone when connect ting the component to a home LAN. I know that the 885 has an ethernet jack on the back, but I'm guessing there is no firmware upgrade that would allow use of this app? Did anyone ever find a use for this jack?

What was the last/final firmware upgrade? 1.07?

Thos.

If you are referring to the O Remote app, I use it on my iPhone to control my 885 just fine. There are a few features that don't work, but you are able to turn on (and off) the receiver (and each zone), control volume and switch inputs just fine. You are not able to change presets (or channels) on the two "zones." You are able to control channels and presets when doing so on the main "receiver." (So, to get around this when I am listening to another zone, I remotely turn on the "receiver" with my iPhone, select the same source I am using in the respective "zone," change preset or channel I need, and then turn off the main "receiver." E.G., If I am listening to my satellite radio in zone three and want to change channels, I turn on the main receiver using oPhone, select "sirius", change the channel/preset on the receiver page, which changes it in all zones, too--you can't have sirius broadcast two different channels on the same 885 at the same time--then turn off the main "receiver", leaving zone three alone).

So...the ethernet jack serves to allow this app to work just fine.
post #5544 of 5572 Old 12-02-2011, 05:46 AM

Thanks TJ. I tried the app previously, but it didn't "detect" my 885. Now that you tell me it has worked for you, I'll definitely give it another try this weekend.

Thos.
post #5545 of 5572 Old 12-04-2011, 04:02 PM

Hmmmm...still having trouble making a connection. Did yours enable automatically? Are you using the Onkyo Remote App or Onkyo Remote App 2? I am using an iPhone 4s.

Thanks,

Tom
post #5546 of 5572 Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Advanced Member

I just got the O Remote for my iPad and iPhone for $5. I find that many times I need to open Safari and type in the 885's ip address. It connects no problem via that method and then once it does the O Remote will connect then too. It doesn't make me do this every time but at least half the time I have to do it this way first.

The zone stuff is cool but I wish I could do a little more with it on the 885, i.e. turn Audyssey on/off. It looks as though for the newer models you have a lot more control.

Either way it was worth $5. It'll be nice to have zone control even when I'm not near my main remote

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #5547 of 5572 Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsrenduro View Post

I just got the O Remote for my iPad and iPhone for $5. I find that many times I need to open Safari and type in the 885's ip address. It connects no problem via that method and then once it does the O Remote will connect then too. It doesn't make me do this every time but at least half the time I have to do it this way first.

The zone stuff is cool but I wish I could do a little more with it on the 885, i.e. turn Audyssey on/off. It looks as though for the newer models you have a lot more control.

Either way it was worth $5. It'll be nice to have zone control even when I'm not near my main remote

Looks like a great app, certainly better than the 2 free ones offered. But do you still recommend it with the limited functionality with the 885, and extra step to make a connection?

Thos.
post #5548 of 5572 Old 02-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does anybody know where I might be able to pick up a set of rack ears for my 885? I have not had any luck trying to find any
post #5549 of 5572 Old 02-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thos19 View Post

Looks like a great app, certainly better than the 2 free ones offered. But do you still recommend it with the limited functionality with the 885, and extra step to make a connection?

Thos.

For me it is worth $5. I found that a setting change eliminates for the reconnect every time I open the app. It was something in the app settings about checking for connection or something like that. I turned it off and it connects much faster now. I use it to turn on my patio (zone 2) and run iTunes (apple remote app) if I'm not near my Harmony remote.

Quote:
don't insult my intelligents
post #5550 of 5572 Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
AVB
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Check the measurements of the current model. If the height is the same I'm willing to bet the handles are the same. Also see if Onkyo has any for the consumer version - the DTC9.8 or 9.9. Did you get yours used because the 885 came with handles in the box, or at least mine did.

There is no such thing as too much clean power.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page