Forum Jump: 

post #5551 of 5571 Old 02-03-2012, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVB View Post

Check the measurements of the current model. If the height is the same I'm willing to bet the handles are the same. Also see if Onkyo has any for the consumer version - the DTC9.8 or 9.9. Did you get yours used because the 885 came with handles in the box, or at least mine did.

Also make sure they are not still in the box - mine were in a box that looked a lot like the bottom of the main box. If not, one option could be the Middle Atlantic custom shelf - it may not be any more expensive than buying the actual Onkyo part, plus you can use the shelf part for future components while just ordering a new face plate. Disclaimer - I have these shelves for other components but haven't seen the one for the 885.

Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5552 of 5571 Old 02-29-2012, 09:12 AM

Has anyone got a real quote or sent their unit in for HDMI output failure? If so, how much was it?

Thanks!
post #5553 of 5571 Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupCak3 View Post

Has anyone got a real quote or sent their unit in for HDMI output failure? If so, how much was it?

Thanks!

I spoke with the authorized repair in Northern New Jersey. If the problem is the bad capacitors on the video board which is the case most of the time, it should run between $175 and $200. They are very familiar with the problem and said that very few 885s were affected compared to the receivers from that era. There is a thread on the problem and how to fix it yourself if you are inclined to try your own soldering.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246078
post #5554 of 5571 Old 04-28-2012, 11:57 AM

I am finally delving into the Home Theatre market, and deciding to go with separates.

This processor is the only thing within my budget to catch my eye from all angles, and after reading the write up on page 3 my mind is set. I plan on outputting through the unbalanced pre-outs to a Carver AV705X THX powered amp for now until I can pony up the cash for a better powered amp with XLR inputs and way better speakers.

My question is this, to all current/past 885 owners:

I have two seperate A/V systems that I use for digital playback, an HTPC for watching TV/Movies and a stand alone music server (custom built). Both machines make use of the XBMC software for playback.

The HTPC is fairly standard as such I have no questions there. With my music server however, I output from the motherboard's on-board SP/DIF output via WASAPI to a Fiio D3 DAC and into a 2 channel analogue amp (presently).

If I made the move to this processor, would it be possible to still output the video via HDMI to my TV and use an analogue input for the 2 channel audio? Or is the built in DAC in this processor good enough to trump the Fiio (which is very neutral) and output the audio along with the video signal via HDMI?

As for the music I listen to, it's mostly 60-80's classic rock, 70-90's hard rock and metal, 80's new wave, 60-90's punk, newer alternative and electronic (House, dub-step, DnB).

Current main speakers are a pair of PSB Alpha B's.

Thanks in advance!

Gabrial
post #5555 of 5571 Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hello Gabrial,

I am unfamiliar with the particular DAC you mentioned but I would say you should try both pathways and listen for yourself. The Analog out of the 885 is generally not as well thought of as the digital side of things but I have no issues using either. I have no high end analog needs and the SQ difference for me is somewhat difficult to distinguish after I turn off Audyssey on the digi side. Perhaps a slight output level increase and very subtle detail changes, mostly for the better, with analog. But the loss of Audyssey in my untreated room makes the digital pathway the only one for me. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. If you are mainly using headphones your situation may be very different.

Paul

My life is an open book...wish I could read it and have it make sense.

post #5556 of 5571 Old 05-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
^^^^ What he said.

I owned the 885 for a couple years and was impressed enough to upgrade to an 886 which I still own. I use analog ins for a Sony PS-X75 turntable and have used the XLR balanced inputs for a phono amp in the past. No real complaints either way.

I have a WHS based server that I access via a PS3 for music files in my HT. This gives me HDMI connectivity from the PS3 so SPDIF is not needed.

All of this aside, I'd hook up both options and listen for a while. Everyone's ears are different and what sounds good to yours is all that matters.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2
post #5557 of 5571 Old 05-10-2012, 12:46 PM

I am a happy owner of a PR-SC885P. I recently moved to an area with poor radio reception. So now while I hadn't really cared about the lack of ability of the 885 to get internet radio before, I now wish I had it. The 886 didn't add internet radio, did it? If not, any suggestions for an add-on?

Thos.
post #5558 of 5571 Old 05-10-2012, 03:03 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 115
SqueezeBox Touch

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #5559 of 5571 Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 AM

hey - saw yer post re: hdmi board goin south - were u referring to somethin that afflicted a buncha devices? my vid board just died - wondering if i can replace it myself - tx 4 any help!
post #5560 of 5571 Old 08-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Liked: 13
Has anyboby here attempted the HDMI daughterboard repair on the 885? My 885 was showing the symptoms and finally is out for good.

Edgar
post #5561 of 5571 Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samaritano View Post

Has anyboby here attempted the HDMI daughterboard repair on the 885? My 885 was showing the symptoms and finally is out for good.

Mine is also deteriorating (rapidly). It started with slight green veining around moving/still images and has become progressively worse to the point there are now total colour blotches and freezing. Would be interested to know if the fix is suitable for this model.

If all else fails ......... read the instructions.
post #5562 of 5571 Old 08-23-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandview View Post

Mine is also deteriorating (rapidly). It started with slight green veining around moving/still images and has become progressively worse to the point there are now total colour blotches and freezing. Would be interested to know if the fix is suitable for this model.

I'm curious if you can bypass the 885 for video and just use the HDMI inputs for audio? Or is audio effected by HDMI board failing as well? If audio is not effected you could run your video sources directly to your display. Certainly not a fix but a possible option till you get the 885 repaired or replaced.

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #5563 of 5571 Old 08-29-2012, 05:37 PM

Liked: 13
Well I went ahead and tried that DIY fix for the HDMI board on my SC885 and so far it is working. I had to replace 13 100uf and place 1uf 50V Cer Caps over the 6 regulators. Hopefully it stays that way.

Edgar
post #5564 of 5571 Old 11-17-2012, 11:44 AM
Advanced Member

Hi! I`m able to remote control the PR-SC885 using IP and Irule app on a Galaxy tab, but Im not able to get feedback. It would be nice to have feedback for at least the volume setting, since the equipment is not located in the HT-room.
I use the setup in Irule Builder for Onkyo/Integra main zone. It isn`t specifically for the PR-SC885, so I can`t be sure the PR-SC885 really gives feedback? But all the commands that I have tried for control works without modification.
post #5565 of 5571 Old 11-17-2012, 11:54 PM
AVS Special Member

It does. I assume you have the the version of iRule that allows component feedback. Mine display current surround mode, volume, mute.
post #5566 of 5571 Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolrda View Post

It does. I assume you have the the version of iRule that allows component feedback. Mine display current surround mode, volume, mute.

Yes, I have the $99 version (Pro?). I use a Galaxy S 5.0 (android 2.3.5) as handset. Can this be the problem? PLEASE tell me what you did to get it working?
What handset do you use? Which Irule device and feedback device did you use? The reason I doubt that my Onkyo is sending feedback is that I logged the IP-traffic with Docklight, but I might have set it up wrong..
post #5567 of 5571 Old 11-22-2012, 11:09 PM

Hi Folks,

Just an update...my 885 has bit the dust. Sadly so as I really loved the unit. For some odd reason I get extremely low levels from the surrounds. Swapped cables, rerouted through different speakers, even went as far as changing the amp out...no dice. Onkyo was mildly helpful and stated it needed to be returned.

Unfortunate to say the least as I loved the unit.

Sad thing is that EVERYTHING works aside from the surrounds and LFE channels. I may just have to relegate this to the garage and use an old amp to power the speakers........

If anyone has any suggestions, aside from sending it in for return, I am all ears.......may have to get a new unit for my home theater. Currently using a 15 year old Yamaha that is doing well but alas no HDMI on it....sounds great but would love the HDMI options.

Cheers,

smile.gif
post #5568 of 5571 Old 07-30-2013, 10:45 AM

I guess I am resurrecting this thread. smile.gif

My PR-SC885P has developed the same issues with the HDMI board as others have written in the last pages of this thread. Freezing video, green lines across the frozen screen, and only audio apparently working. If I could have it fixed for the aforementioned $175-$200, I think that would be worth it.

If anyone went the repair route and could relate their steps taken, it would be very much appreciated. Even a phone number (rather than the e-mail address I found) could be very useful.

Thanks!
post #5569 of 5571 Old 07-30-2013, 02:34 PM

post #5570 of 5571 Old 08-22-2013, 04:11 PM

Liked: 11
Hi, need some help please: under PCM what audio option should I choose to have 7.1 channels output ? (direct, pure aduio ,... other?..... I can't find a multichannel option or somehting like that). I have tried several and all that Im getting is stereo. I have Jriver installe din my HTPC and want that all the conversion of my audio surround takes place within the program and not in the Onkyo. thanks in advance.
post #5571 of 5571 Old 08-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Liked: 11
no one?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page