Onkyo PR-SC885P Preamp thread - Page 61 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1801 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 08:37 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Bill Mac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 11,580
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcon View Post

I have upgraded from an Outlaw 950 to the Onkyo 885 pre and am finding a large decrease in volume from the Onkyo in to my outlaw 7700 amplifier.

Bob,

Did you set all your channel levels at 75db using a SPL meter?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

 

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
Bill Mac is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1802 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 08:47 AM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

waaaaaay to few details for us to make a nice choice or give advice on a amp

-Gary

I guess you need what speakers I have. Ok here goes:

L/R Front - Klipsch RVX-54
Center - Klipsch RC-62
Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52
Back Surrounds - Klipsch RSX-5
Sub - RW-12d

Any other information you require?

-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
post #1803 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

I guess you need what speakers I have. Ok here goes:

L/R Front - Klipsch RVX-54
Center - Klipsch RC-62
Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52
Back Surrounds - Klipsch RSX-5
Sub - RW-12d

Any other information you require?

-Matnick

Room size? How loud to you like to listen? Budget? Etc.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #1804 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

Room size? How loud to you like to listen? Budget? Etc.

Craig

Oh ok
Room size: 26' X 14'
I like to listen fairly loud. Like to listen to clean sound.
Budget: Approx $1000.

What do you think of Rotel? Is that a good make? Want for a 7.1 system. Should I get one 5 channel and another 2 channel?

-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
post #1805 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Member
 
bayareakirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had the 885 for a couple of weeks. I LOVE it. Mine came with 1.05 firmware.

One problem I'm curious if any one has had. The single 12v input on the back does not seem to work. I have tried plugging in a powered antenna and a cooling fan but they would not turn on with the unit. I'd really like to get the cooling fan to only run when the system is running. Any ideas?
bayareakirk is offline  
post #1806 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Member
 
Artcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used the RS meter to set the levels at 75db and it is not so much of a straight volume loss that bothers me as it is the clarity lost at these higher volumes compared with the 950.
I would expect an improvement if anything.
Artcon is offline  
post #1807 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 10:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Gary Murrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 10,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artcon View Post

Thanks For your quick reply Gary, There are only RCA inputs on my amp, the interconnects that you are talking about convert the balanced to RCA?

the Outlaw 7700 is balanced as well no?



-Gary
Gary Murrell is offline  
post #1808 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 10:55 AM
Member
 
Artcon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Halifax, Canada
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Unfortunately I bought my amp 4.5 years ago and it didn't have the balanced connections.
Bob
Artcon is offline  
post #1809 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 02:42 PM
Senior Member
 
Luffy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayareakirk View Post

I've had the 885 for a couple of weeks. I LOVE it. Mine came with 1.05 firmware.

One problem I'm curious if any one has had. The single 12v input on the back does not seem to work. I have tried plugging in a powered antenna and a cooling fan but they would not turn on with the unit. I'd really like to get the cooling fan to only run when the system is running. Any ideas?

I am assuming that you plugged them into Trigger B and/or C? If you did, did you check to make sure they are enabled in the menu?
Luffy is offline  
post #1810 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 02:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Gary Murrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 10,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

oooh, you're making us scroll left and right.


not on my 1680x1050 Sammy 24"

-Gary
Gary Murrell is offline  
post #1811 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 05:09 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
rudolpht's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Boxborough, MA, USA
Posts: 7,566
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy View Post

I am assuming that you plugged them into Trigger B and/or C? If you did, did you check to make sure they are enabled in the menu?

Correct, you do need to set them on & they do work.

Tim
Selling Anthem PVA7.
STABILITY + Superior audio (SC09-TX) + Incredible picture (VPL-VW200) + good integration.
rudolpht is offline  
post #1812 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 07:35 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

Oh ok
Room size: 26' X 14'
I like to listen fairly loud. Like to listen to clean sound.
Budget: Approx $1000.

What do you think of Rotel? Is that a good make? Want for a 7.1 system. Should I get one 5 channel and another 2 channel?

-Matnick

Seven channels for $1,000 isn't going to get you a *lot* of wpc. Emotiva makes a great product at half that money, but it's *only* 125 wpc x 5 and 50 wpc x 2:
http://emotiva.com/lpa1.html
Still, 125 wpc ought to be enough to drive those Klipsch speakers to pretty good levels, since they're so sensitive, and you probably don't need more than 50 wpc for your rears.

They also make a 200 wpc x 7 for $1,700:
http://emotiva.com/mps2.html

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #1813 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

not on my 1680x1050 Sammy 24"

Touché!

244T?
pepar is offline  
post #1814 of 5572 Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Gary Murrell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 10,927
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

Oh ok
Room size: 26' X 14'
I like to listen fairly loud. Like to listen to clean sound.
Budget: Approx $1000.

What do you think of Rotel? Is that a good make? Want for a 7.1 system. Should I get one 5 channel and another 2 channel?

-Matnick

I'd save a couple hundred more bucks and spring for a Adcom, you can get a 7705 for 1250$ but you said you needed 7 channels, that size room needs some serious wattage, I'd go for 300w myself and with 7 channels you are looking at something well above that budget to do it right, you might also look at the Outlaw monoblocks at 200w, 7 of them would hit around 1600$ I think

or if you have bi-ampable speakers get 2 amps like the Adcom 7607(refreshed from 1call) or something along those lines

if I had that size room I would murder a Adcom GFA-7807 or ATI 3007

-Gary
Gary Murrell is offline  
post #1815 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Johnla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 11,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

not on my 1680x1050 Sammy 24"

-Gary

Maybe so for you, but you still need to scroll L&R on a 17" widescreen HP laptop to see it all.
Johnla is offline  
post #1816 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 07:59 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnla View Post

Maybe so for you, but you still need to scroll L&R on a 17" widescreen HP laptop to see it all.

Gary is larger than life, and so are his posts.
pepar is offline  
post #1817 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 08:32 AM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Murrell View Post

I'd save a couple hundred more bucks and spring for a Adcom, you can get a 7705 for 1250$ but you said you needed 7 channels, that size room needs some serious wattage, I'd go for 300w myself and with 7 channels you are looking at something well above that budget to do it right, you might also look at the Outlaw monoblocks at 200w, 7 of them would hit around 1600$ I think

or if you have bi-ampable speakers get 2 amps like the Adcom 7607(refreshed from 1call) or something along those lines

if I had that size room I would murder a Adcom GFA-7807 or ATI 3007

-Gary

My Klipsch speakers max is 150 watts. If I could find something around 140 watts I think I would be happy.
Is Adcom a reputable amp? Never heard of them before.

-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
post #1818 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 09:35 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

My Klipsch speakers max is 150 watts. If I could find something around 140 watts I think I would be happy.
Is Adcom a reputable amp? Never heard of them before.

-Matnick

Adcom is very good, and a very good value as well. BTW, did you know it is easier to blow a "150w" speaker with a 140w amp than it is with a 300w amp?
pepar is offline  
post #1819 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 AM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Adcom is very good, and a very good value as well. BTW, did you know it is easier to blow a "150w" speaker with a 140w amp than it is with a 300w amp?

No I didn't know that. What wattage do you recommend for my 150 watt speakers? 200 watts ok?

-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
post #1820 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 10:18 AM
Newbie
 
bertro54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought Onkyo PR-SC885P at ggvideo.com. If anybody is looking to buy 1 they said they had extra units in stock. I looked at as many places as I could find on the internet and they seemed to have the best price $1299.
They said I will receive an e-mail tonight with the tracking number. I have read other peoples comments about this Co. and I hope they are true.
bertro54 is offline  
post #1821 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

No I didn't know that. What wattage do you recommend for my 150 watt speakers? 200 watts ok?

-Matnick

I recommend that you buy as big an amp as you can afford. And then listen closely for distortion if you listen at high levels so you know the capabilities of your system.

It is usually an amplifier "clipping" - the tops (and bottoms) of the waveform are flattened - that sends, basically, direct current to the voice coils causing heat and blown drivers. A higher power amp will be more comfortable at that same listening level, supply clean power to the speakers with no bad effects.
pepar is offline  
post #1822 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertro54 View Post

Just bought Onkyo PR-SC885P at ggvideo.com. If anybody is looking to buy 1 they said they had extra units in stock. I looked at as many places as I could find on the internet and they seemed to have the best price $1299.
They said I will receive an e-mail tonight with the tracking number. I have read other peoples comments about this Co. and I hope they are true.

Please, no prices in posts. Pls edit to remove.
pepar is offline  
post #1823 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 12:02 PM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

I recommend that you buy as big an amp as you can afford. And then listen closely for distortion if you listen at high levels so you know the capabilities of your system.

It is usually an amplifier "clipping" - the tops (and bottoms) of the waveform are flattened - that sends, basically, direct current to the voice coils causing heat and blown drivers. A higher power amp will be more comfortable at that same listening level, supply clean power to the speakers with no bad effects.

I looked at the ADCOM and looks very good. Just one question. Where do you connect the sub? I looked at the owners manual and there is no mention about the sub.
-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
post #1824 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 12:20 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
craig john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 10,380
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

I looked at the ADCOM and looks very good. Just one question. Where do you connect the sub? I looked at the owners manual and there is no mention about the sub.
-Matnick

The sub should have it's own built-in amp. Plug it into the "Subwoofer/LFE Out" on the pre/pro.

Craig

Edit: The Adcom 7700 is a nice amp, but it's only 5 channels @ 200 wpc. The 7807 is 7 channels @ 300 wpc, but it's 3 x your budget. The Emotiva MPS-2 I recommended earlier is 7 channels @ 200 wpc. This will provide about as much amplifier power as your speakers can handle for about half the price of the Adcom.

Craig

Lombardi said it:
Perfection is not attainable, but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence."

My System

craig john is offline  
post #1825 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig john View Post

The sub should have it's own built-in amp. Plug it into the "Subwoofer/LFE Out" on the pre/pro.

Craig

Edit: The Adcom 7700 is a nice amp, but it's only 5 channels @ 200 wpc. The 7807 is 7 channels @ 300 wpc, but it's 3 x your budget. The Emotiva MPS-2 I recommended earlier is 7 channels @ 200 wpc. This will provide about as much amplifier power as your speakers can handle for about half the price of the Adcom.

Craig

Craig,
I noticed that ADCOM has a 7channel 200 wpc (7707). Not sure of the price yet.
I looked at the rear of the 885 for the subwoofer/LFE connection and looks like it requires a special connector. I spent a lot of money for my 25' subwoofer cable.

-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
post #1826 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fyzziks's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 1,512
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

I looked at the rear of the 885 for the subwoofer/LFE connection and looks like it requires a special connector. I spent a lot of money for my 25' subwoofer cable.

It's a standard RCA or XLR connector.
fyzziks is offline  
post #1827 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 01:03 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

Craig,
I noticed that ADCOM has a 7channel 200 wpc (7707). Not sure of the price yet.
I looked at the rear of the 885 for the subwoofer/LFE connection and looks like it requires a special connector. I spent a lot of money for my 25' subwoofer cable.

-Matnick

There are both XLR outputs for long, balanced runs and RCA phono-type outputs nearby amplification.

What is your "25' subwoofer cable?"
pepar is offline  
post #1828 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 01:04 PM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

There are both XLR outputs for long, balanced runs and RCA phono-type outputs nearby amplification.

Any difference between the two?

-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
post #1829 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 01:14 PM
Wireless member
 
pepar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Quintana Roo ... in my mind
Posts: 25,146
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by matnick2127 View Post

Any difference between the two?

-Matnick

Oh yeah. Balanced is more expensive and only provides a benefit for l-o-n-g runs in that it is resistant to picking up noise from RFI/EMI. I would define l-o-n-g as anything longer than 10'. Otherwise, the single-ended (RCA phono) outputs are used.
pepar is offline  
post #1830 of 5572 Old 03-10-2008, 01:24 PM
Member
 
matnick2127's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 101
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepar View Post

Oh yeah. Balanced is more expensive and only provides a benefit for l-o-n-g runs in that it is resistant to picking up noise from RFI/EMI. I would define l-o-n-g as anything longer than 10'. Otherwise, the single-ended (RCA phono) outputs are used.

Well I have a max of 6'. Should I still go with balanced or for this short distance it won't make a difference?

-Matnick
matnick2127 is offline  
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off