post #181 of 5571 Old 09-28-2007, 08:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Ballentine View Post

Is it true the 885 is made in Japan (vs China)?

Yes. Made in Japan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 5571 Old 09-28-2007, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

They don't show inventory on anything, it says to call. Since they have them dropped shipped, they have no inventory.

OK. I think I will see how things go since I have one on order...

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #183 of 5571 Old 09-28-2007, 07:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well my 885 showed up today!!

I am still setting everything up but so far I am very impressed. You guys waiting won't be disappointed.
It is a big step up from using my Denon 3805 as a pre-pro.
I have to work tomorrow but I will post more later when I get a chance to play with it.

Geek
post #184 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 05:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes- please fill us in on the details! (hope to order mine Monday)
post #185 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingeek View Post

Well my 885 showed up today!!

I am still setting everything up but so far I am very impressed. You guys waiting won't be disappointed.
It is a big step up from using my Denon 3805 as a pre-pro.
I have to work tomorrow but I will post more later when I get a chance to play with it.

Geek

Congrats.

I am currently using a Denon 3805 as a pre-pro too and this definately
makes me feel better about my purchase and the wait.

Can't wait to hear your impressions especially compared to the Denon.

Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93, Sony BDP-S1000ES
HD DVD player: Toshiba HD-XA2(2)
Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
Game Console: Xbox 360, PS3
Speakers: Mythos ST(Fronts), Mythos Ten(Center), Mythos One(Rears)

post #186 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
I've been playing around with my 885 and Sammy 1400 and just wanted to make sure I have things dialed in correctly. I had some issues with TFE where I couldn't tell the difference between the PCM track (16 bit) and the TrueHD track (20 bit).

Anyway, I think I figured it out. Let me start by showing my speaker setup settings after running Audyssey.

First, here are my speaker distances (big theater):

And levels:

Audyssey set my speaker types to this:

Which I promply changed to:

Now, that was all I did initially, but the sound still wasn't really what I was hoping for (I know I need to do some room treatment given how far off the various levels were, but for now I' trying to make do with what I have).

Yesterday, I found that my listening modes for TrueHD and DTS-MA were set as follows:

Which resulted in the following being displayed on the unit when playing TrueHD:

And for DTS-MA:

I then changed the listening modes to this:

Which resulted in the following display for TrueHD (DTS-MA is very similar):

Ahh, MUCH better!

Down the road, after I get the room better treated (right now I'm using just a single pair of GIK panels at the 1st reflection points), I plan to have an Audyssey Pro calibration done. Right now I'm using a BFD for the subs and my room response looks like this on the low end:

Anyway, GREAT pre/pro (once dialed in) and a big step up from my Sony 9000ES.
post #187 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 07:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

Which resulted in the following being displayed on the unit when playing TrueHD:

And for DTS-MA:

I then changed the listening modes to this:

Which resulted in the following display for TrueHD (DTS-MA is very similar):

Ahh, MUCH better!

Down the road, after I get the room better treated (right now I'm using just a single pair of GIK panels at the 1st reflection points), I plan to have an Audyssey Pro calibration done. Right now I'm using a BFD for the subs and my room response looks like this on the low end:

Anyway, GREAT pre/pro (once dialed in) and a big step up from my Sony 9000ES.

This is very interesting.

How does compare the sound to your old Sony 9000?

Also, You changed to Ultra2 and you liked it better. Is that because it was flatter or was it rolling off and that was better for your room?

- Rich

Oppo Beta Group

Oppo BDP-105D | Oppo HA-1 | Oppo PM-1 | Parasound A51 | Revel Salon, Voice, Studio | Velodyne HGS-15
post #188 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 08:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post

This is very interesting.

How does compare the sound to your old Sony 9000?

Also, You changed to Ultra2 and you liked it better. Is that because it was flatter or was it rolling off and that was better for your room?

- Rich

Well, the Sony 9000 only supported toshlink/coax for digital audio (not even 5.1 analog input) so there was notable improvement going to HDMI for the audio. For playing regular CDs, I'd still give the edge to the 885, which pleasantly suprised me as the 9000 was a great pre/pro for its day. The 855 seems to reveal more detail to me and has an even lower noise floor that the 9000.

My 885 is in a closet, so I never really looked at the front display before. When playing TrueHD and DTS-HD, I'm not sure what surround mode is actually picked when the listening mode is set to "Dolby TrueHD/DTS-HD MSTR" as opposed to PLXII, Ultra 2, etc. But in my theater, the improvement was noticable. I think my 885 previously defaulted to PLXII when being feed PCM, so that is likely why it sounded better to me that the superior TrueHD track on TFE with the default settings.
post #189 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pclausen View Post

Well, the Sony 9000 only supported toshlink/coax for digital audio (not even 5.1 analog input) so there was notable improvement going to HDMI for the audio. For playing regular CDs, I'd still give the edge to the 885, which pleasantly suprised me as the 9000 was a great pre/pro for its day. The 855 seems to reveal more detail to me and has an even lower noise floor that the 9000.

That is interesting because I still have a 9000ES in another location with the 2.51 *I think* firmware and it is very aggressive and forward compared to my Integra Research RDC 7 which is smoother but a bit laid back.

It should be interesting when I finally get my 885.

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #190 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petmic10 View Post

Congrats.

I am currently using a Denon 3805 as a pre-pro too and this definately
makes me feel better about my purchase and the wait.

Can't wait to hear your impressions especially compared to the Denon.

So far the sound difference is big. One of the things that bugged me on the 3805 was that I was limited on how high I could turn up the volume. What was max on the 3805 as a pre is only half way up the scale on the 885. I finally feel like I am getting the most out of my amp now. It's not that I listen to it at super high volumes, just that on some source material I was limited with the Denon. There is also no floor noise with the 885, it's dead silent when it's not pushing the speakers.

I am also impressed with the Audyssey set up. I did the same changes that pclausen did after setup. I like how it sounds.
I have been playing with the different sound modes and so far I am torn between the THX Ultra2 and Neural THX settings.

I will have to spend more time listening to the different settings to explain the changes. I do feel it is a big upgrade though. It just has a cleaner sound now. The room seems to blend together much better now. I don't have the best room yet (I'm still building my theater room) but the Audyssey did help my current room allot.

Having the HDMI switcher built into the receiver is a wonderful thing. With my old set up, I had the switcher programmed into my remote and there was a long delay as the receiver, HDMI switch and PJ settings were changed. There is still a delay with the 885 but feels smoother now. Using my MX-800 remote is nice and fast now, no extra steps involved to change sources.

SD content does look cleaner through the Reon, but not a huge difference. Cr@p in Cr@p out I guess. The good thing is I have not seen any lip sync issues yet. Both HD-DVD and Blu-ray look great as expected.

Over all I am not disappointed with the purchase and feel it is a big upgrade for my system. I will post more thoughts as I get more time to play with it.

Geek
post #191 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 05:22 PM

do hope you post detailed settings on the 885 setup
post #192 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 158
All this very promising, and exciting to me....I can't wait to receive my 885 from Onkyo this week....
Thanks to those who are giving your perspective on this wonderful unit......

Djoel
post #193 of 5571 Old 09-29-2007, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes - and THANKS pclausen for all the wonderful menu/readout screen pictures!
post #194 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 12:59 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Got my 885 up and running tonight (paired with a sherb 7/2100 amp) and so far it is Awesome!

I only ran through some SD-DVD's, some movie clips off the 360 and Ant Bully on HD-DVD. I am using an XA2 so I have the 885 in passthrough with Imediate display off and the video looks exactly the same as doing a straight shot to my RS1. I am very familar with Ant Bully and it looked identical to going straight to the RS1. I was a bit skeptical about this, but it appears that the video is untouched as has been reported. SO HAPPY about this. I cant really offer any insight to the Reon abilities as I am going to use passthrough for everything at the moment (XA2, PS3, 360 all at 1080p).

Just what little I listened to I could hear a bit more detail in the Fight Club dvd (mid air colishion and ball rolling through the coffee shop) and the Apacalypto clip on the 360 just seemed a bit more detailed, but cleaner overall as well. Cant wait to get into the Blu-ray and HD-DVD lossless tom

Setup and menu seems very nice and intuitive to me. Lots of options and details to go through, but simple enough. I like how the volume goes in .5 db steps instead of 1 db steps like the B@K ref 50 I was using before. I also like the fact that the tone control is more detailed as you can adjust treble and bass seperately for front, center, surround, surround back. I will like this feature for tweaking concert soundtracks.

I really liked the ref 50 all around and was concerned that I may be giving up something making this move, but so far everything is atleast on par and of course there are many advantages as far as features. SQ from what little I have heard seems as good or better depending on the material. Like I said I could definately hear little details that were not there before. Subtle, but noticable.

Also the unit looks Very nice being all black.

All for now, more later.

Edit: Forgot to add that I did not do anything with Aud as far as setup, and dont really plan to at the moment. Will experiment with it at some point, but really wanted to just do the basic setup with Avia, SPL meter, 80hz cross, etc....so I can compare to the B@K more fairly. My room is fairly well treated with bass traps, first reflection traps and I also have an SMS-1 for the 12/2 ultra (which I actually dont really use for movies as I prefer the natural hump I have in the 15-35 range left intact as it gives things a bit more kick. I do flatten it out for music though).

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #195 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 04:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe View Post

Got my 885 up and running tonight (paired with a sherb 7/2100 amp) and so far it is Awesome!

I only ran through some SD-DVD's, some movie clips off the 360 and Ant Bully on HD-DVD. I am using an XA2 so I have the 885 in passthrough with Imediate display off and the video looks exactly the same as doing a straight shot to my RS1. I am very familar with Ant Bully and it looked identical to going straight to the RS1. I was a bit skeptical about this, but it appears that the video is untouched as has been reported. SO HAPPY about this. I cant really offer any insight to the Reon abilities as I am going to use passthrough for everything at the moment (XA2, PS3, 360 all at 1080p).

Just what little I listened to I could hear a bit more detail in the Fight Club dvd (mid air colishion and ball rolling through the coffee shop) and the Apacalypto clip on the 360 just seemed a bit more detailed, but cleaner overall as well. Cant wait to get into the Blu-ray and HD-DVD lossless tom

Setup and menu seems very nice and intuitive to me. Lots of options and details to go through, but simple enough. I like how the volume goes in .5 db steps instead of 1 db steps like the B@K ref 50 I was using before. I also like the fact that the tone control is more detailed as you can adjust treble and bass seperately for front, center, surround, surround back. I will like this feature for tweaking concert soundtracks.

I really liked the ref 50 all around and was concerned that I may be giving up something making this move, but so far everything is atleast on par and of course there are many advantages as far as features. SQ from what little I have heard seems as good or better depending on the material. Like I said I could definately hear little details that were not there before. Subtle, but noticable.

Also the unit looks Very nice being all black.

All for now, more later.

Edit: Forgot to add that I did not do anything with Aud as far as setup, and dont really plan to at the moment. Will experiment with it at some point, but really wanted to just do the basic setup with Avia, SPL meter, 80hz cross, etc....so I can compare to the B@K more fairly. My room is fairly well treated with bass traps, first reflection traps and I also have an SMS-1 for the 12/2 ultra (which I actually dont really use for movies as I prefer the natural hump I have in the 15-35 range left intact as it gives things a bit more kick. I do flatten it out for music though).

Thanks Toe. Up (down?)grading from a Ref50 myself, this is very good information. Thanks again.

David

Marketing Professor
Music, then Movies...
post #196 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Thanks Toe - I (and others) are really interested in more details as you have time to investigate your new 885 and it's capabilities. Glad to hear the passthrough is transparent. Right now I'm doing straight HDMI shots to my RS1, so that's very important to me too. I'm coming from a 5 year old Outlaw pre/pro so I'm expecting even more improved sound quality (the B&K ref 50 is no slouch!).

I too am really anxious to join the Blu-ray and HD-DVD HBR (bitstream) club. I'm thinking about paring the 885 to the Samsung 1400 and the Toshiba A35.
post #197 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Thx Toe!

I hope they send a firmware update for the PS3 so it can stream out the audio formats. Looks like the more people get their hands on the 9.8/885, they are really enjoying the units (like i knew they would ) overall! Integra/Onkyo hit a homerun far as coming out with very nice product.

Tee

"Enjoy Movies & Music"

My Home Theater
post #198 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 07:59 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence View Post

Thx Toe!

I hope they send a firmware update for the PS3 so it can stream out the audio formats. Looks like the more people get their hands on the 9.8/885, they are really enjoying the units (like i knew they would ) overall! Integra/Onkyo hit a homerun far as coming out with very nice product.

General consensus seems to be that the PS3 is hardware constrained with regard to outputting bitstream for the lossless codecs. However, numerous places are saying that the PS3 will "decode" and output DTS HD MA as PCM by Christmas.
post #199 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 08:47 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketingProf View Post

Thanks Toe. Up (down?)grading from a Ref50 myself, this is very good information. Thanks again.

David

You are welcome guys Cant give you as much technical info as some on here, but I will do what I can.

Definately dont see this as a downgrade in any way at this early point (will update if I do find some sort of downgrade) to the ref50.

One thing I dont think you can do which is a minor annoyance is adjust the tone controls from the remote (besides sub which you can). Does anyone know if/how to do this?

It is cool you can name your inputs which I was just reading about. Maybe you could do this on the Ref50? Either way it is a cool feature.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #200 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

This is the most stupider question I got up thinking...Here it goes, I had a 885 that bust my hump connecting, I have a tight space to do so. After spending hours connecting all the cables, from source, displays, power cords,Hdmi's,xlr's,5.1's,etc,etc to find out my 885 was non functional...Well I was wondering is there an easier way to do this? Beside hiring someone else to this...Any tips?

I am getting my 885 this week, and I am dreading reconnecting all those cables Ah gain...

Was just think what are people's ritual of doing these things...Maybe there's just no way about it....

I could just connect all the cables to the 885 first, and then connected to the other units ..Hmm that might be the way?

Thanks

Djoel
post #201 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

According the Realta the Reon does not support noise reduction (NR) on HD. At least not selectable. However, I read the XA2 review in Widescreen Review and, sure enough, to NR options are not supposed to work on the HD.
Oddly enough, the article reports the HQV HD passes all tests including the Noise Reduction.

I suppose it is possible that these function are always on for HD. Can someone with HQV HD test the 885/9.8 and report how it does?

Thanks,

Rich

Oppo Beta Group

post #202 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 412
I have a question for 9.8/885 owners inregard to audio delay problems. I have read in some of the threads on the 905, 875 and 805 that some owners have trouble with audio sync issues. Do any 9.8/885 owners have a problem this issue? Is this issue just a problem with a HDMI connection?

Bill

My SACD collection, watch it grow and my wallet shrink ;-).

Denon 4311 (in preamp mode), Parasound 2100, Boston Acoustics A7200 amp, Oppo BDP-103, Consonance CD120, Panasonic TC-P60GT50 plasma, Panamax 5100EX, Salk Song Towers, Song Center, ADS 300C (surrounds) and two Rythmik F12SEs.
post #203 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 03:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, there does seem to be some lip sync issues, after reading the 805 lip sync thread, I tried setting all speakers distance settings to 15 feet farther away each. Seems to have cleared it up.

So far, I really like this thing for 2 channel music, and DVD viewing, or HD viewing when there is a DD signal. But when watching SD cable using PLII Movie or Neo6 Cinema for simulated surround, my Yamaha RX-V1500 I was using for a pre-pro sounded much better. It also had more settings for these modes, which may be the reason.

I also compared upconverting SD DVD's through the Onkyo, to letting my TV handle it. The Onkyo stretches the picture, and has no control over how it is stretched. I couldn't get a full screen image that was not distorted. The TV has no problem doing this on it's own, without the Onkyo.

I also tried the Audyssey setup today, I didn't care for it. Maybe I will try again.

So I have the video set to passthrough, and Audyssey disabled. Kinda defeats the purpose of all these features. I do think two channel is better than the Yamaha, but nothing else is really thrilled me yet.
post #204 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Figured out the Pro Logic II Movie and Neo6 Cinema problem. This was the first time I had connected the TV to my system with an optical cable. I went into the TV advanced audio settings, and found the PCM MTS output set to mono. I was only recieving mono across the three front speakers, and no surround. Switched it to stereo, and now it sounds as good as the Yamaha, or better in these modes.
post #205 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 09:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quick question. How warm does the 885 run? Cool, warm, hot? Thanks.

You are all WEIRDOS! - Sam the Eagle
post #206 of 5571 Old 09-30-2007, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

After 4 or 5 hours, it gets pretty warm at the rear, above the reon chip, and above a heatsink on the other side. I have a small cooling fan in my rack, so it actually seems a little cooler there, than it did just sitting on the table in the open air.

It's not nearly as warm as the RX-V1500 I was using as a pre before, or most other recievers I have seen.
post #207 of 5571 Old 10-01-2007, 06:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamZX11 View Post

It's not nearly as warm as the RX-V1500 I was using as a pre before, or most other recievers I have seen.

That's what I was hoping for. Thanks again.

You are all WEIRDOS! - Sam the Eagle
post #208 of 5571 Old 10-01-2007, 07:27 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel View Post

This is the most stupider question I got up thinking...Here it goes, I had a 885 that bust my hump connecting, I have a tight space to do so. After spending hours connecting all the cables, from source, displays, power cords,Hdmi's,xlr's,5.1's,etc,etc to find out my 885 was non functional...Well I was wondering is there an easier way to do this? Beside hiring someone else to this...Any tips?

I am getting my 885 this week, and I am dreading reconnecting all those cables Ah gain...

Was just think what are people's ritual of doing these things...Maybe there's just no way about it....

I could just connect all the cables to the 885 first, and then connected to the other units ..Hmm that might be the way?

Thanks

Djoel

I've gotten to the point that I buy cables around two feet longer than they need to be with all components in their position. I can then work on the pre/pro with it outside the entertainment center. When everything is completed, I merely slide it into place. I can't see the jumble of cables behind the entertainment center.
post #209 of 5571 Old 10-01-2007, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I've gotten to the point that I buy cables around two feet longer than they need to be with all components in their position. I can then work on the pre/pro with it outside the entertainment center. When everything is completed, I merely slide it into place. I can't see the jumble of cables behind the entertainment center.

Yeah I know what you're saying load and clear. I put any excess in a zip lock baggy.Then I write on the writeable surface on the plastic bag, what's the source and what not. It keeps it looking sort of neat appearance.

Djoel
post #210 of 5571 Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM
Advanced Member

thanks for information about Troxell. Unfortunately, they charge tax for VA but still they seem to have the best deal. Now,I can't wait to hear how much improvement Loseless brings to my HT and can't wait to depart with my Outlaw 990.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page