what compares to the Onkyo TX-SR605 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 12:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
due to the problems the SR605 is having, I am growing fed up with it. I don't want to be without a receiver for a minimum of 3 days, with the possibility of up to much longer periods, just to get my receiver repaired. If its brand new, I shouldn't have these problems. I already returned one unit, that had the popping issues (but only through HDMI), but the second unit was actually far worse, with the popping sound occurring on any audio, regardless of input source.
so, I am looking to maybe just get something comparable? I was looking toward the Yamaha V661, especially since most Yamaha units have excellent sound quality. However, it lacks key features that I really desire.

here are the things I want in a receiver:
-HDMI
-audio input over HDMI
conversion of inputs to HDMI output (up-conversion not necessarily required, just the ability to force all sources out through a single connection to the tv)
-ability to bi-amp front towers
-around 90w/channel, more if possible for the price range
-doesn't necessarily need HDMI 1.3, as the PS3 is goofy with outputting audio codecs, unless its PCM. I've been sticking to PCM basically, so I'd like that. Hopefully the PS3 just gets DTS-MA decoding capability soon.

not sure of anything else. the ability to auto-setup is a nice feature the Onkyo has, and I would like to keep having the ability to use that feature in any other receiver.

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 01:32 PM

The yamaha RX-V661 should do you fine. It has YPAO auto setup just like the onkyo and HDMI upconversion. It has Bi-amplification capability and support HDMI 1.2 audio. 90wx7 too. what more do you need?
post #3 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 01:38 PM

I'm in the same boat as you except I've already returned the 605 due to the issues mentioned on this forum. Been researching for weeks now but this is what I've come up with given the same price range and features (especially analog to hdmi transcoding):

Harmon Kardon 247
Denon 887
JVC 412

As you said, the 661 doesn't transcode which make it a difficult option for me. My last two receivers were Yamaha's and have served me well even up to this day which is why I have not yet ruled out the 661. I got an 861 from BB a few days ago to see if it warrants the extra money. Seems like alot to pay for transcoding and a bit of extra power. The 805 was another option although there are quite a few reports of popping/clicking that the 605 suffers from. Looks like this may be due to heat issues with the onkyos, another reason why I think purchasing one would be a bad choice in the long run.

Edit: Hmm, I thought I've posted here before but this looks like my first post so hello!
post #4 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotVIBE View Post

The yamaha RX-V661 should do you fine. It has YPAO auto setup just like the onkyo and HDMI upconversion. It has Bi-amplification capability and support HDMI 1.2 audio. 90wx7 too. what more do you need?

I was under the impression the V661 does NOT convert analog inputs to HDMI. Again, I am looking for a receiver that will allow me to input anything, including composite video, and output it over HDMI, but more importantly component video outputted over HDMI.
post #5 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Try the H/K AVR 247 - it sounded great.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

The V661 will not convert analog inputs to HDMI.

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
post #7 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

anyone else got any ideas? Is the H/K AVR247 really that good?

oh, and nevermind.. its only 50w/channel? ouch thats bad
and they still charge what they are charging?
post #8 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 01:23 AM

Sorry, V661 only converts to component, you're right. other option is the Pioneer Elite VSX-81TXV Receiver.

Apparently the H/K's 50wX channel is not a problem. Should drive your speakers fine according to most guys on here.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 05:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by destrekor View Post

anyone else got any ideas? Is the H/K AVR247 really that good?

oh, and nevermind.. its only 50w/channel? ouch thats bad
and they still charge what they are charging?

HK measures differently which gives you truer specs. Stick to quality receivers in the same price range and don't worry about the wattage. HK will be just as powerful or more in real world performance.

Are they really that good? That's up to the person buying the receiver as taste will vary. Most (me included) who've heard a wide verity of receivers will tell you that they can't be beat for SQ at the price.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-02-2007, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

I have the 347 model and yes, I think it is that good. The 247 is basically the same (55 watts compared to 50 watts).

I also have a Panasonic all digital in the 2nd room. You might test one of those too.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page