The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread - Page 102 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3031 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone else been having any "tuner reception issues?" My tuner does not want to pick up HD signals. All my stations I listen to broadcast in HD but the 905 struggles to find them and only finds the analog signal which are not even coming in that good. On two different occasions, I have been able to get it to lock on the HD signals (do not know what I did) and then it works great as long as I leave the 905 on. The next time I turn the 905 back on, no HD signals. I have tried a power FM antenna and the supplied antenna both with the same issue. I do have blend Mode set to auto. My last receiver had no problems with reception here. Any similar problems out there or do I have a freak. Thanks for any Ideas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3032 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john barlow View Post

I think J&R's reputation has been permanently damaged. This mess with the 905 has put them in a bad position. I don't know what they can do to mend fences with the consumers tha feel alienated by them.

I'm not bashing J&R in the least (I didn't have a 'buying experience'... they wouldn't let me back-order)... but between this fiasco with the 905s and the one with the 605s, their 'Onkyo run' has been a rough one. It's not J&Rs fault... but the 'uncertainty' that they were feeding people didn't help. What they should have told people asking for a 'timeline' is "Onkyo has told us two weeks... but with their recent history, it could me a month or more. They haven't been meeting our order requests... we order 100, and they send us 10..." This way, it reiterates to people that it's Onkyo shorting the distributor, and not the distributor misleading the consumer. I know that this was NEVER their intention... but that's how people feel when they are constantly being told, "two weeks... two weeks... two weeks" and we are ~2 months into produce availability.

An Onkyo rep told me that the 605s were 10 times harder to get than the 905s... but I placed an order on amazon (for $30 less than the J&R price) and had the 605 (for my mom) in less than 10 days.

For people who are waiting for a 905... START LOOKING AROUND!!!! I used joerod as my example... he wanted to get a 905 really badly... so he started searching... and got one within a month (IIRC). It took me 3 weeks from the time that I started making phone calls to the receiver arriving (and unlike dude2006, I paid NOTHING NEAR MSRP!). Don't just sit at home complaining about not having a receiver, start calling around. If you don't have 3-5 pre-orders... you aren't looking hard enough. Most of the vendors (3 of the 4) I called didn't want my credit card info until they had the unit in their hands ready to ship...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrang
Onkyo has a relatively tiny ecosystem to work in, and even in this, they are unmotivated and uncaring.
post #3033 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Does anyone know if there is a site that has a good explanation of all of the Onkyo listening modes? It would help if we knew what they were (did). I don't think that the manual explains it well enough but that could be just me.

Was this question ever answered? I've looked through the posts and didn't see any but wondered this myself as well.
Thanks in advance,
Guzz
post #3034 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 01:01 PM

Hello, Well I am looking to get the most opinions as possible before I decide to buy the 875 or the 905. I have noticed a few users saying they dont notice any picture quality differences with the HQV. So I am curious if anyone has a new LCD set with the DEEP COLOR SUPPORT AND HDMI 1.3 This is where the major differences in PQ will be noticed using the HQV as even 1080P lcds that dont have the 1.3 and deep color support can only realistically support around millions of colors where the HQV and DEEP COLOR and a new DEEP COLOR SET (Toshiba Regza new sets have Deep color and 1.3 and also a 14bit Video processor) This allows the rendering of more than 68 billion colors which is where the HQV will thrive and show extreme PQ differences in scaling to 1080P. Anyone who has a set up capable of these features please let me know if you notice a great PQ difference with the HQV processor on the 875-905. As the HQV cannot even begin to excel when the TV set only has colors in the millions and not as much as 68 billion plus. All help and opinions are appreciated. THANK YOU VERY MUCH
post #3035 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz View Post

Was this question ever answered? I've looked through the posts and didn't see any but wondered this myself as well.
Thanks in advance,
Guzz

Page 84 in the manual is a good place to start. It will describe what the listening modes actually do... and from there you can do more 'in-depth' research on the modes you think you might like.

As has been said here... the THX modes are GREAT! I use THX Cinema (5.1) and joerod swears by THX Ultra2 Cinema (7.1). Figure out which modes you want to use, and then look into those specific modes.

It's going to be tough to find a 'comprehensive list' because the listening modes for the 905 span several different propriatary companies (like Dolby PLIIx vs Neural THX for matrixing 2 channel sound to 5.1).

Quote:
Onkyo has a relatively tiny ecosystem to work in, and even in this, they are unmotivated and uncaring.
post #3036 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 06:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Who knows how or why, but by turning on and then off the zone 2 and zone 3 settings, as previously recommended, the receiver actually cooled off dramatically in standby mode!

I really thought these were set to off....!!??
post #3037 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLSQUAD2G View Post

Hello, Well I am looking to get the most opinions as possible before I decide to buy the 875 or the 905. I have noticed a few users saying they dont notice any picture quality differences with the HQV. So I am curious if anyone has a new LCD set with the DEEP COLOR SUPPORT AND HDMI 1.3 This is where the major differences in PQ will be noticed using the HQV as even 1080P lcds that dont have the 1.3 and deep color support can only realistically support around millions of colors where the HQV and DEEP COLOR and a new DEEP COLOR SET (Toshiba Regza new sets have Deep color and 1.3 and also a 14bit Video processor) This allows the rendering of more than 68 billion colors which is where the HQV will thrive and show extreme PQ differences in scaling to 1080P. Anyone who has a set up capable of these features please let me know if you notice a great PQ difference with the HQV processor on the 875-905. As the HQV cannot even begin to excel when the TV set only has colors in the millions and not as much as 68 billion plus. All help and opinions are appreciated. THANK YOU VERY MUCH

We won't even be able to tell the difference until there is a movie (DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray) that is produced with Deep Color. I have a TV, a receiver and a HD DVD player that supports Deep Color but there is no movie yet out with Deep Color.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #3038 of 8821 Old 10-21-2007, 09:19 PM

[QUOTE ILLSQUAD2G, sanfoja]

-->I can tell absolutely no difference with the HQV processing.

I would have to argue that the bigger the viewing size the more it would become apparent - as the pixels become bigger more need.

It could be your tv already does a good enough job at taking in video as well.

Its also relative to the source material. I can only imagine a Crapcast picture staying crappy. But that's my opinion.

Really then it depends on too many variables, plus more, that some will see a difference some may not. If you want it its there.

-->Not sure yet if all these annoyances are an artifact of the 905, HDMI or what. My Denon 5800 did not have these problems, then again it did not use HDMI, only component.

Hdcp is a beast; hdmi is great.

I'm sure someone will find a way to disqualify eveything I just stated.
post #3039 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 03:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

We won't even be able to tell the difference until there is a movie (DVD, HD DVD, Blu-ray) that is produced with Deep Color. I have a TV, a receiver and a HD DVD player that supports Deep Color but there is no movie yet out with Deep Color.

DVD, HD DVD, and BD don't support deep color (8 bit only). So not only will you need to wait on a movie to be produced in deep color you must also wait on a new delivery format to support it.
post #3040 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

DVD, HD DVD, and BD don't support deep color (8 bit only). So not only will you need to wait on a movie to be produced in deep color you must also wait on a new delivery format to support it.

Yep, but that might be closer than your post suggests. More bits/sample is slowly getting into our reach; X264 allready supports a higher profile/level AVC-encoding than standards chsen for BR/HDDVD, while it only supports YV12 atm, development for the High 4:4:4 profile is underway (al be it very slowly).

The next problem is getting GPU makers to support Deep Color (Matrox actually allready supports more thatn 8 bit/channel), so we can get those colors outputted. And since receiver,- and displaymakers are starting to implement deep color to, I think the player/GPU makers wont be very far behind.

But you're right about BR and HDDVD, cause it will be more difficult to implement I think.
post #3041 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by G_M_C View Post

Yep, but that might be closer than your post suggests...

Another thing to keep in mind. The 905 may or may not pass deep color (not a 1.3 requirement) if and when it ever happens, but it's not likely to process it.
post #3042 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William View Post

Another thing to keep in mind. The 905 may or may not pass deep color (not a 1.3 requirement) if and when it ever happens, but it's not likely to process it.

I thought it was already stated that the 905 supports deep color.

I know that it's not 'required' in HDMI 1.3 (that's the problem, NOTHING is "required" in any version of HDMI, it's just "supported")... but I thought it was already supported. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Quote:
post #3043 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 08:37 AM
jhe
AVS Special Member

Just picked up a cruzer sandisk 8 gig flash memory for usb. Loaded it up and tested on the Onkyo for the first time.

So far it all works super. Even bought a new monitor 24 inch so I can see the Onkyo display without having to turn on my big projector, so now using the sub HDMI output!

Some of what I discovered:

1 The flash stuff now comes with u3 which is useless for this application. Found it easy to uninstall and erase.

2 My previous stuff used play lists and worked. Onkyo seems to only play in file order so now I need new software or a lot of hand editing of file names to get things organized for ease of use as well as playing in track order.

3 Really liked the idea of all my music on line for use more than I expected. I have cd jukeboxes, but think I will eventually load everything on a server. Now if only Onkyo would support flac!

4 Happy to find I don't need to re-record my ogg vorbis files. They played just fine too even though the manual doesn't claim they will.
post #3044 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JU1CYFRU1T View Post

I thought it was already stated that the 905 supports deep color.

I know that it's not 'required' in HDMI 1.3 (that's the problem, NOTHING is "required" in any version of HDMI, it's just "supported")... but I thought it was already supported. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes the 905 supports Deep Color and there is a hidden menu that lets you turn it on or off, I think you have to press "display" and "preset" buttons on the receiver (not on the remote) to access it. Maybe someone else can chime in to tell me if I'm remembering the buttons correctly
post #3045 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 08:39 AM

I just want to pass threw an hdmi video signal with no processing, does this still alter the black levels?
post #3046 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 AM

No thanks to J&R or ABT, both of which I had pre-orders with and have subsequently cancelled, I will have my Onkyo 905 this week at a very comparable price. I look forward to the set up.
post #3047 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillis51 View Post

No thanks to J&R or ABT, both of which I had pre-orders with and have subsequently cancelled, I will have my Onkyo 905 this week at a very comparable price. I look forward to the set up.

Where did you get it from?

Samsung D7000 65"
Onkyo 905
BIH F12
6x Energy RC-10
WMC ceton4 DVR/Media PC
post #3048 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 03:59 PM

Am thinking about this receiver. Have BluRay DVD, DTV HR20 and Wii. Annoying thing is that Wii is component. If I get the 905, can I connect all three (DVD and HR20 via HDMI and Wii via component) and then OUTPUT all via the 2 HDMI outputs to my LCD and Projector? They would not be playing at the same time, as the Projector Screen comes down over the LCD on the wall. I am buying cables soon, so would like to avoid the component side to my displays if I can. Thanks.
post #3049 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC7727 View Post

I just want to pass threw an hdmi video signal with no processing, does this still alter the black levels?

If you leave the OSD on it will still alter the black levels. The best way is to turn off the OSD and use the through setting.
post #3050 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Unfortunately the black and white levels are even altered in "through" mode.

Making the most out of what I got.
post #3051 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 04:57 PM

I talked to Onkyo support today dealing with my faulty tuner. I have discovered that when my receiver is cold I get no radio reception. It acts as if no antenna is attached. After the 905 gets up to operating temp, reception is great Onkyo confirmed I have a problem child. I just dropped it off at my local repair center, I will be lucky to see it back within a month, major bummer. Anyways, I told the tech that I am an AVS forum member and I wanted to let him know many, myself included, are very dissapointed by the REON implementation and the different color and black level issues being reported. He acknowledged they are aware of the problems and are working on it. Thats all he offered up but I did like to at least hear they have gotten the word about this. For me, back to the waiting game. I think it is harder now knowing what I am missing
post #3052 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 05:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peternels View Post

Am thinking about this receiver. Have BluRay DVD, DTV HR20 and Wii. Annoying thing is that Wii is component. If I get the 905, can I connect all three (DVD and HR20 via HDMI and Wii via component) and then OUTPUT all via the 2 HDMI outputs to my LCD and Projector? They would not be playing at the same time, as the Projector Screen comes down over the LCD on the wall. I am buying cables soon, so would like to avoid the component side to my displays if I can. Thanks.

Yes you can do this.

Why would you not use HDMI in to the 905 for the Blu-Ray and HR20?

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Use Password = AVSForum
post #3053 of 8821 Old 10-22-2007, 05:25 PM

Gave up on getting my HTPC (which has an LCD touchscreen) to work via HDMI for the secondary output to the 905 to my projector. While the HDMI handshake is happening, the main PC screen keeps flashing and the projector has a blue screen (no source) and never finds anything. I now use the component outputs of my 8600GT and it works perfectly to the projector as a second monitor.

I'm beginning to hate HDMI as, even with my PS3, it loses sync just changing sound formats on movies, SACD and games when they change resolution. Too bad I need HDMI for high resolution audio. I must mention that I don't blame Onkyo for this. I also began to wonder what super-rich people will think when they watch movies and their friends have to endure flashing blue screens when the HDMI handshake takes place.
post #3054 of 8821 Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I think the problem is more with copy protection (HDCP) than with HDMI.
post #3055 of 8821 Old 10-23-2007, 06:46 AM

Has anyone had a problem with the Audyssey setup reporting a "speaker detect error" regarding the subwoofer? I'm on my second 905 and my third microphone. The first 905 was a scratch & dent. I ran the Audyssey setup on this unit from 6 locations. It never had a problem. I returned that unit for a brand new 905 when one became available. I ran the Audyssey setup from 3 locations and it worked fine. The next day I decided to re-run it using all 6 locations that I'd used with the scratch & dent 905. I couldn't get past the first location since it kept reporting "speaker detect error" on the subwoofer. The more times I retried, the worse things got. By the time I finally gave up, it was failing on all speakers and reporting "ambient noise too high". I assumed I had a bad microphone. I was able to get a replacement from Crutchfield. Now I'm back to the "speaker detect error" on the subwoofer. I tried it about 20 times. I tried all the suggestions in the 905 manual (adjusting SW volume, etc.) but no luck. Anyone have a thought?
post #3056 of 8821 Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Advanced Member

I've been looking at all the Onkyo receivers 805 and above. just curious what the "NR" designation means in TX-NR905 as relating the to all the other "SR" receivers in the lineup? Thanks.
post #3057 of 8821 Old 10-23-2007, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

I've been looking at all the Onkyo receivers 805 and above. just curious what the "NR" designation means in TX-NR905 as relating the to all the other "SR" receivers in the lineup? Thanks.

I think "Network-Ready"

Which means "SR" stands for what, "S--TOutofLuck Ready?"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3058 of 8821 Old 10-23-2007, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdlokg View Post

Net (as in internet) Receiver.

"S" is for surround.

My opinions do not reflect the policies of my company
post #3059 of 8821 Old 10-23-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emanley View Post

Has anyone had a problem with the Audyssey setup reporting a "speaker detect error" regarding the subwoofer? I'm on my second 905 and my third microphone. The first 905 was a scratch & dent. I ran the Audyssey setup on this unit from 6 locations. It never had a problem. I returned that unit for a brand new 905 when one became available. I ran the Audyssey setup from 3 locations and it worked fine. The next day I decided to re-run it using all 6 locations that I'd used with the scratch & dent 905. I couldn't get past the first location since it kept reporting "speaker detect error" on the subwoofer. The more times I retried, the worse things got. By the time I finally gave up, it was failing on all speakers and reporting "ambient noise too high". I assumed I had a bad microphone. I was able to get a replacement from Crutchfield. Now I'm back to the "speaker detect error" on the subwoofer. I tried it about 20 times. I tried all the suggestions in the 905 manual (adjusting SW volume, etc.) but no luck. Anyone have a thought?

It might be the location of the mic in reference to the speaker. One of my rear speakers didnt get detected on my first go around. I repositioned the mic and ensured nothing was in the path of the sound to the mic........worked fine for all the seating positions I tested after that.
post #3060 of 8821 Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2006 View Post

Yes the 905 supports Deep Color and there is a hidden menu that lets you turn it on or off, I think you have to press "display" and "preset" buttons on the receiver (not on the remote) to access it. Maybe someone else can chime in to tell me if I'm remembering the buttons correctly

I came here looking to find answers as to what the feature meant.

I own an 805 and I stumbled onto the setting.

Press and hold Aux 1 on the receiver.

While holding Aux 1 press the power button on the receiver.

On the display of the receiver you will find the "hidden" menu.

One of the settings is for 8 bit video or 24 bit video.

I turned mine on to see if it does anything and it does nothing.

I'm pretty sure that it is for deep color. My display won't work with it anyway. Just playin' around.

All animals are created equal, but some animals are more equal than others.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page