The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last
Receivers, Amps, and Processors > The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 02:29 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

THX Ultra2 is a certification which is given to equipment which passes a certain level of THX specifications.

Jon, thank you for those explanations...

However, on the 905 the THX Ultra2 is also one of the "listening modes," not just a certification........

HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 02:31 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milimetr View Post

Does anybody know if the TX-NR905 can accept 480i/576i signal through HDMI inputs and do deinterlacing from 480i/567i signals?

It is very important to me because I have to decide between TX-NR905 and outboard video processor. If Onkyo can do deinterlaecing from 480i/576i with Reon chip I will go with them.

Thanks.

Yes it can.

My DTV HR20-700 DVR will output 480i via HDMI (in Native Mode) and then the 905 will scale and de-interlace (in my setup to 720p).
egcarter's Avatar egcarter 02:32 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

Jon, thank you for those explanations...

However, on the 905 the THX Ultra2 is also one of the "listening modes," not just a certification........

"Ultra2 Cinema" is a THX listening mode...

-E
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 02:34 AM 08-09-2007
It also appears that Harmony does NOT have the codes for the 905 yet..... it had me input about 6 IR commands and then it determined that the 905 was similar to the 505..... of course with none of the correct inputs.

I ran the 905 for about 4 hours after getting it set up... checking all of the devices I hooked up.

via HDMI
HD-XA1
HR20-700
HTPC Gateway 901X

via Component

Sony CX995V (400disc Mega Changer) does not output 480i via HDMI so I had to use Component.
Xbox 360
Xbox

Everything played nice so far....... all sources audio/video worked without a hitch.

The only popping I heard was when I had the volume up pretty far (0 db) and was going in and out of the setup to tweak the subwoofer.

I had exactly ZERO HDMI Sync issues.

My display is an InFocus 7210 projector (720p) that uses a proprietary version of DVI they call M1. As the 7210 is a revision of an older projector the DVI design is also older... this created a problem with my Pioneer Elite 84TXsi in that the Pioneer was ignoring the secondary display frequncies of the projector and locked all sources to 720p. This is due to the EDID data block of older DVI connectors is only 128k rather than the newer HDMI spec of 256k.

The 905 does not have this issue and now I output:

1080i from my HD-DVD player

"Native" from my HD-DVR (which means 480i, 720p, or 1080i depending on station)

480i from the Mega Changer

720p from the Xbox 360

1280 x 720 from the HTPC

The first three are then run through the Reon and sent to the projector at it's native 720p.

I don't have enough experience to decide the best way to set the "Picture Options" but I did turn mosquito noise on to low and then mid.

I did spend some time with Phantom of the Opera in HD as I have probably watched this movie more than any other I have... and after switching the audio back and forth I liked the sound of either the PURE mode or the THX Ultra2.

I will try and post the addendum that concerns the picture menu... it is actually quite short... only one half of a page. Onkyo was not overly verbose with their descriptions.
LL
Milimetr's Avatar Milimetr 02:42 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

Yes it can.

My DTV HR20-700 DVR will output 480i via HDMI (in Native Mode) and then the 905 will scale and de-interlace (in my setup to 720p).

It would be the same in my setup.

Oppo 981 SDI output to bypass Faroudja macroblocking problem ---> SDI/HDMI converter ----> TX-NR905 deinterlacind and scaling to 720p ----> Mitsubishi HC3100 DLP projector.

Could you let me know you opinion about quality of the 905 deintelacing and scaling. Is it so good as should be expected (Reon chip) to be the main deinterlacind and scaling component in the system chain?

My future configuration in attachment.
LL
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 02:55 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

It would be the same in my setup.

Oppo 981 SDI output to bypass Faroudja macroblocking problem ---> SDI/HDMI converter ----> TX-NR905 deinterlacind and scaling to 720p ----> Mitsubishi HC3100 DLP projector.

Could you let me know you opinion about quality of the 905 deintelacing and scaling. Is it so good as should be expected (Reon chip) to be the main deinterlacind and scaling component in the system chain?

My future configuration in attachment.

I am far from an expert.........

However IMHO the scaler/deinterlacing of the Reon is much better than the chips used in my DVR or my Sony CX995 Mega Changer (which can scale to 720p or 1080i).

I do not have enough experience to tell you if it is better than the scaler in the HD-DVD player (which does a great job on SD-DVD's on it's own), but many folks seem to feel that the XA-1 does it's best output at 1080i so that is what I am now sending to the Reon and letting the Reon scale and de-interlace.
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 03:24 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by egcarter View Post

"Ultra2 Cinema" is a THX listening mode...

-E

Now I was in a Dark Room with a flashlight, but I could not find any description of these various "listening modes" in the manual...... where does one go for that kind of info???
Milimetr's Avatar Milimetr 03:28 AM 08-09-2007
Thanks a lot.

Another story - is it possible to predefine different output resolution for HDMI outputs? The TX-NR905 has two HDMI outputs, but I am afraid that only one resolution can be set at the same time for both outputs.
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 03:35 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

Thanks a lot.

Another story - is it possible to predefine different output resolution for HDMI outputs? The TX-NR905 has two HDMI outputs, but I am afraid that only one resolution can be set at the same time for both outputs.

Hmm...

Afraid I did not read up on that as I only have a single display...... but my guess is no.
GJB's Avatar GJB 04:24 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

Neural THX is a supposedly psycho acoustic process to deliver a more detailed soundstage. It can expand a stereo signal to a 5.1 or 7.1 format.

THX Cinema supposedly optimizes the sound field to emulate what would be heard in a large theater.

Theater Dimensional is Onkyo's proprietary surround sound emulation. It is supposed to give you a surround sound effect from two or three speakers. Somewhat akin to Carver Sonic Holography which enhanced the stereo effect. In real life, this never works as advertised.

THX Ultra2 is a certification which is given to equipment which passes a certain level of THX specifications.

THX Surround EX expands 5.1 signals to either 6.1 or 7.1 channel playback.

XVYCC is the new color bandwidth which expands the standard color range. In order for this to work, all devices along the chain must be able to support it. If the Blu-Ray player passes the signal, the receiver must be able to pass the signal along to the display. If not, the display only receives the standard color depth. If the display cannot show the expanded color range, then all of this would be moot.

(geez... I am posting a lot tonight....)

Jon, being green in the higher end audio world I really appreciate your comments. I have a dumb question, is there a listening mode where you can listen to regular audio CDs on a 7.1 system? I'm not sure if this is referred to as multi-channel stereo or is this what Neural THX accomplishes. Thanks for your comments, very informative.
strutter's Avatar strutter 04:47 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

Getting back on track here. I find the Onkyo better than my Denon 3803.

1. the denon sounds flat. music comes out but with no impact... like listening to an enhanced AM radio if there was such a thing. The Onkyo had more punch and dynamics. With 4 ohm loads, the Denon clipped easily with my Polk LSi15s at moderate volumes which also starts to sound compressed before clipping. The Onkyo had no problems driving the Polks a lot louder, sounding noticeably more open. Oddly, i find the Denon to be more bright than the Onkyo (some others feel otherwise). The bass on the Onkyo is more involving with impact while the Denon seems thin and shallow. I do think the mid range on the Denon may be a tad clearer but weaker. The Denon had decent lateral breadth but no depth in imaging. The Onkyo is equal in breadth but better in depth. Separation in individual instruments on the Onkyo is better, with more space and better isolation.

2. The Denon 3808 has a current draw of roughly seven amps, 4308 eight and the Onkyo draws ten. The Onkyo weighs 54 lbs, the Denon 3808CI weighs 39, the 4308CI weighs 41. The Onkyo has a humongous toroidal power transformer (if it was a regular iron core transformer, it would have to be even heavier, as toroidals are more efficient) with large 18,000 mf caps, the Denon's do not. Do the math. More current, more power. More power, better reserves for transients. Better transients, more open sound. The Onkyo also has separate transformers for the audio and video circuitry. The DACS on the Onkyo are the newer ones (192kHz/24 bit PCM1796 Burr Browns??) while the new Denons still use the 2004 (PCM1792) DACs. The amps on the Onkyo are quieter (110dB s/n) vs the Denons (s/n 102dB).

3. cannot comment on FM as i do not use it.

thanks. but if you dont mind i still want to hear what "th8ter" has to say about it.
DougalDC's Avatar DougalDC 06:25 AM 08-09-2007
has anyone tested the 905 with a 60hz game yet? is there a lag? can you set the reon to a "game" mode?
the reason i ask, is that the reon apparently has an 8 field processing delay, and i think that is far to much for fast 60hz games. any feedback is welcome.

Dougal
joerod's Avatar joerod 06:26 AM 08-09-2007
ULTRA2 cinema is my favorite listening mode on the 805 and the 875. I highly expect it to be also on the 905. It just does a great job with PCM uncompressed and Dolby TrueHD!
dude2006's Avatar dude2006 06:37 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

Does anyone know what the differences are in the following settings:

Neural THX 7.1

THX Cinema

Theater Dimensional

THX Ultra2

THX SUR EX

and what the heck is the XVYCC color standard?

Bear in mind that many of the THX modes only can be used with 5.1 sources. For instance, THX Ultra2, Sur Ex, and Music Mode do not work with 2-channel stereo sources. Not surprisingly, I really liked Music Mode for DVD-Audio, but for both DVD and HD shows, I am liking the Ultra2 mode the best so far. It just seems to give the sound an extra "oomph"
borg.cube's Avatar borg.cube 07:27 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

I ran the 905 for about 4 hours after getting it set up... checking all of the devices I hooked up.

I had exactly ZERO HDMI Sync issues.

Try a Tivo S3 HD or a Sony PS3 and you'll be singing a different song about the HDMI sync issues.
borg.cube's Avatar borg.cube 07:30 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I think at this point it is speculation. Until I get mine hooked up and start putting it thru the paces I will not freak out. I will be hooking up these HDMI sources. HD DVR Directv HR20-700 and 100, Pioneer Blu ray 94HD, HD DVD XA2, Xbox 360 ELITE, JVC DTHEATER HM1000u. Hopefully I will get some good results. Like I posted before the 805 model handled everything like a champ. The 875 was suspect so I do not know what to expect with the 905.

Joe -- you don't happen to have access to a Sony PS3 or Tivo S3 HD do you--that's where a number of us are seeing HDMI sync dropouts so far.
Johnsteph10's Avatar Johnsteph10 07:30 AM 08-09-2007
I want my 905 darn it!
joerod's Avatar joerod 07:32 AM 08-09-2007
Not the series 3 TIVO but I can get a PS3. After I play with my devices I will send for my neighbors PS3. They are coming over for a movie this weekend anyway so it should be easy to do. Of course he only bought it to play games so I won't have much time with it.
borg.cube's Avatar borg.cube 07:38 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

That's a whole lot of bad HDMI cables floating around out there.

I'm using Better Cables new HDMI 1.3a certified cables-- and they are not cheap. I also tried some Monoprice 1.2 cables.

The HDMI sync drops are NOT between the 905 output and the tv. They are between the source and the 905 because when the sync drops occur, the 905 display changes to drop the LPCM sync --displayed as "MultiChannel" for the 5-8 seconds until sync recurs and the display comes back with the "MultiChannel"designation. I have both audio and video passing over HDMI-- that's why I bought the 905 in the first place.

This is NOT a problem of bad cables. It is a problem in the firmware of the 905. Some of you may not see this with the specific input devices you are using. As has been my experience with HDMI problems is that it is very dependent on the particular source devices. I hope some of you getting a 905 have an Tivo S3 and a Sony PS3 connected via HDMI to confirm what I'm seeing with sync drops.

I have reported this to Onkyo USA.

BTW-- I see NO loss of sharpness over HDMI when trying a Blu Ray disc from the PS3. But since the PS3 is outputting 1080p60, the 905 is just doing pass-thru. I'll try and run tests this weekend with different resolution outputs and the various HQV DVD and high def test disks.
dude2006's Avatar dude2006 07:45 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg.cube View Post

Try a Tivo S3 HD or a Sony PS3 and you'll be singing a different song about the HDMI sync issues.

For the record, I've watched about 4 hours of HD with my S3 Tivo on different channels, including TNT, HBO HD, and National Geographic, and have not had sync issues
rickardl's Avatar rickardl 08:48 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

2. The Denon 3808 has a current draw of roughly seven amps, 4308 eight and the Onkyo draws ten.

If I only have a 10 ampere fuse, such as this http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ozed_fuses.gif,
connected to the same mains outlet as my CD/DVD players and projector,
would the Onkyo TX-NR905 be too much for it?
NickyD's Avatar NickyD 09:11 AM 08-09-2007
The synch issue with the PS3, is it during video(BR) playback or is it with game play or is it both? This is the whole point of me getting a 905, to run everything through it and to get the great sound.

Is anyone running the Directv HR20 through it yet and are you having any problems with that also?

I currently have them running direct to my XBR2, no video issues but the sound sucks from my receiver because I am out of connections on the back to hook all of my equipment to it, thus one of the reasons for upgrading and future proofing for a while.
borg.cube's Avatar borg.cube 09:32 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyD View Post

The synch issue with the PS3, is it during video(BR) playback or is it with game play or is it both? This is the whole point of me getting a 905, to run everything through it and to get the great sound.

Is anyone running the Directv HR20 through it yet and are you having any problems with that also?

I currently have them running direct to my XBR2, no video issues but the sound sucks from my receiver because I am out of connections on the back to hook all of my equipment to it, thus one of the reasons for upgrading and future proofing for a while.

I've only used the PS3 for gameplay so far. It was running in PS2 emulation mode over HDMI. I only watched about 5 minutes of a blu-ray to check out the picture (opening of Pirates of the Carribean)-- I plan to watch a blu-ray this weekend to see if there are any sync hiccups.
Jon S's Avatar Jon S 09:50 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by borg.cube View Post

I'm using Better Cables new HDMI 1.3a certified cables-- and they are not cheap. I also tried some Monoprice 1.2 cables.

The HDMI sync drops are NOT between the 905 output and the tv. They are between the source and the 905 because when the sync drops occur, the 905 display changes to drop the LPCM sync --displayed as "MultiChannel" for the 5-8 seconds until sync recurs and the display comes back with the "MultiChannel"designation. I have both audio and video passing over HDMI-- that's why I bought the 905 in the first place.

This is NOT a problem of bad cables. It is a problem in the firmware of the 905. Some of you may not see this with the specific input devices you are using. As has been my experience with HDMI problems is that it is very dependent on the particular source devices. I hope some of you getting a 905 have an Tivo S3 and a Sony PS3 connected via HDMI to confirm what I'm seeing with sync drops.

I have reported this to Onkyo USA.

BTW-- I see NO loss of sharpness over HDMI when trying a Blu Ray disc from the PS3. But since the PS3 is outputting 1080p60, the 905 is just doing pass-thru. I'll try and run tests this weekend with different resolution outputs and the various HQV DVD and high def test disks.

I am using a PS3 thru HDMI and am experiencing no HDMI issues whatsoever...
Jon S's Avatar Jon S 09:52 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post

Jon, being green in the higher end audio world I really appreciate your comments. I have a dumb question, is there a listening mode where you can listen to regular audio CDs on a 7.1 system? I'm not sure if this is referred to as multi-channel stereo or is this what Neural THX accomplishes. Thanks for your comments, very informative.

You can play it back in stereo, 7.1 stereo (all speakers in stereo mode) or some of the surround modes to give you a pseudo surround mode.
Jon S's Avatar Jon S 09:54 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post

thanks. but if you dont mind i still want to hear what "th8ter" has to say about it.

no problem.... everyone is entitled to their opinion.... as long as it agrres with mine...

borg.cube's Avatar borg.cube 09:54 AM 08-09-2007
Quote:

I am using a PS3 thru HDMI and am experiencing no HDMI issues whatsoever...

What have you done with the PS3 -- blu ray? games?
What are your settings for audio for the PS3? LPCM or Bitstream?
What cable are you using?
Are you passing BOTH audio & video over HDMI or just video?
What is your PS3 set to output? 720p, 1080i, 1080p60, 1080p24?
Have you tried any games that have "cut scenes" where a video plays within
the game?
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 11:21 AM 08-09-2007
[quote=NickyD]

QUOTE]

see post #365
HiHoStevo's Avatar HiHoStevo 11:26 AM 08-09-2007
Okay has anyone played with the "network" section yet?

The manual shows that after you "enable" control there are a bunch of DHCP settings and the like.....

After I "enable" control all I have is "port." Where I can go in and change the port it is using...

My HTPC and xBox have no problem connecting through the same switch so I am wondering what else I need to do? I even switched ethernet cables from the HTPC that was online just to see if that made any difference........ I was expecting the 905 to see the network and automatically pick up its IP address.........?
kktk's Avatar kktk 11:33 AM 08-09-2007
I'm interested in the networking capabilities too.
First ... 11  12  13 14  15  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop