The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 08:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I think on the 905 you can select video or film mode (or auto), so I think you can "force" whatever processing you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I do not have the 905, just the 875 (and also 805 and 605 for that matter) but I doubt it is different from the 875 in the HDMI department (besides the picture menu of course). Whenever I sent in 1080p/23.98 (24) into it the signal always came out untouched no matter what setting I put HDMI on.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
tks but none of those is v1.3 certified.......
so far, still haven't heard any stand alone splitter is v1.3.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlettner View Post

I would recommend testing one of the MonoPrice active HDMI splitters. (People are going to start thinking I work for MonoPrice .)

I think somebody tested the passive HDMI splitter, and it did not work well. I have never seen a report here about one of the active splitters.

-Dave

post #543 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 92
Hopefully soon I can confirm it... Maybe if I am lucky next week I will be blessed with a 905...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #544 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I would consider returning it and trying another one. I know it is a HUGE inconveinance but at this point you are right about why you bought the 905 in the first place. I am sure you have tried the tivo S3 on all of the HDMI inputs to.

The 905 continues to drop out while playing games on the Sony S3 which is HDMI.
I don't have any more open component slots.

Its going to have to go back to VE for an exchange when units become available again.

What a bummer. You didn't get a unit and I got a bad one.
post #545 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:05 AM
AVS Club Gold

Please do. I know he will take care of you. Hopefully it is just an isolated incident with the current 905 you have. Maybe by the time you get yours replaced (hopefully this week) I will be setting up a 905 as well...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #546 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
perplexing issue. Spent the morning setting up the 905. First off I am happy to say that I can connect my 65 inch panny commerical plasma to it using an hdmi to dvi adaptor and it works (Sony ES5200 previously required me to buy a $200 converter to do that)

Big issue is that when I put the volume any higher than -25 the protection circuit kicks in.
With sources connected and no speakers connected, I can crank it all the way up and it doesnt happen. Could it be speaker wire touching thats causing it???? I cant think of anything else.

Suggestions? Would cry if I had to send this back already
post #547 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:18 AM
AVS Club Gold

I would try the Audyssey set up. It should tell you if one of your speakers is not hooked up properly. When you do a sound test do the speakers sound fine? My guess is it has to be a connection on one of the speakers or you don't have them connected in the back of the 905 either correctly or in a secure way. And it only takes one to not be done right...

post #548 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

The speakers sound fine but once I drive it past -25 or so it clips. I am afraid to keep resetting it. The manual says to unplug everything including the power cord and leave it for an hour. Then power up with nothing connected and max the volume (which I did and the protection didnt kick in)

So I am thinking its the speakers or wire touching somewhere.
post #549 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhut View Post

Any chance you have a plasma tv that is "jamming" your IR? Try the remote with your TV off. The new Onkyos are very sensitive to some TVs...

Nope, I am using an InFocus 7210 front projector.

When the remote sends a signal there is a red light on the end of the remote that lights up...... sometimes you just have to push 4 or 5 times (especially on the Enter button) to get it to activate.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #550 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:41 AM

<< If looking from the front of the device, the back right-corner of the device does get pretty hot. This is where the Reon board is, so I'm definately going to be purchasing a fan for this when I move the receiver into the equipment closet. >>

Doesn't the 905 have built-in fans ?
post #551 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:44 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryarber View Post

Can you see if something works? With the STB coming in as component, you might be able to output via HDMI1 and component at the same time. Could you try that and see if it works?

I'm not quite sure I understand you. The STB does outuput both DVI (no HDMI connector on my STB, that is why I use a DVI to HDMI converter cable) and component at the same time. If I direct feed to my TV I can switch between TV outupits and watch both feeds.

The 905 can not negotiate the handshaking of the DVI to HDMI cable I have. It works fine feeding the 905 the component from the STB then converting / outputting via HDMI from the 905 to the TV.
post #552 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 09:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwclark View Post

Internet radio stations have unique URLs and you will need something to find them:

Try this one: KGO AM radio, San Francisco: URL: http://abcrad.wm.llnwd.net/abcrad_kgo_kgo
Type: WMA

I use Replay Radio and its URL finder to get internet radio stations URLs:
http://www.applian.com/replay-av/sup..._guide_700.php

Nope.......

I put the url into my PC and it firest up Windows Media Player and plays just fine... but if I put the url into the 905's Internet Radio Presets the name I give it shows up on the face plate of the 905 and the 905 indicates it is connected to the network (I can access the 905 from my PC to type in the url's and have them show up on the face of the 905 so I am positivly connected), but no audio.

Also, I did not receive a call back or email from Onkyo Tech Support.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #553 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzook View Post

The speakers sound fine but once I drive it past -25 or so it clips. I am afraid to keep resetting it. The manual says to unplug everything including the power cord and leave it for an hour. Then power up with nothing connected and max the volume (which I did and the protection didnt kick in)

Try checking the speaker Ohms vs what you have the receiver ohms set at. Make sure zone 2 or 3 is not on with 7.1 set up.
post #554 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

[quote=Bllaxx]Any chance you can answer any of my questions about networking I posted earlier?

1. Is it possible to setup via Webpage like Denon?

4. How does internet radio work? Is there a default set of stations or can you add your own stations somehow?
QUOTE]

1. No, not sure what Th8ter is talking about... with the Denon you can configure all of your inputs and outputs via the ethernet connection as well as all the other settings on the receiver. The 905 has 3 tabs that are accessible from the network, Unit Information, Preset Internet Radio, & Network Setting. Personally the Network connection does not seem very well thought out or implemented on the 905. Basiclly all you can do is type in and save the url's for Internet Radio (which none of us so far can get to function) and have a simple way of getting all the firmware numbers on your unit.

Main Version 9 1.00/07703A
DSP1 07601A
DSP2 07518A

DSP3
07518A
HDMI 07517A
VIDEO 07606EO/

NET
1.01/070705z

4. You have to add stations manually. It has room for 20 station presets. But as yet I have not been able to get any sound out of this function.

If no one answers your questions in a timely manner with a new product it is normally because:

1. No one knows the answer yet.
2. You have asked a completely inane question that has been answered 50 times previously :-)

In your case it is #1

post #555 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 10:07 AM

Is anyone having a problem with the remote not letting you move up or down on the internet radio or when sending Mp3's over your network? Mine will not move up or down I have to go to the front of the unit to scroll up or down.
post #556 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Can the Reon settings(edge enhancement, noise reduction)be set to different memory for each input? My arial TV needs a bunch of help, DVD doesn´t, would i have to change it every time?

Birgir "keyser"
post #557 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by th8ter View Post

Is anyone having a problem with the remote not letting you move up or down on the internet radio or when sending Mp3's over your network? Mine will not move up or down I have to go to the front of the unit to scroll up or down.

Did you push the net/usb button to change control of the remote over to that function (not the net/usb at the top where you select the function, but the one about an inch or so below that one... that should change the function of the remote to net/usb.

I did have a similar problem, but even from the front of the unit when I was inputing urls for testing... I would have to switch (on the reciever front) to CD and back to Net/USB to get the buttons on the front of the receiver to function.

post #558 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

Can the Reon settings(edge enhancement, noise reduction)be set to different memory for each input? My arial TV needs a bunch of help, DVD doesn´t, would i have to change it every time?

No they are "global" settings.

post #559 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 10:39 AM

1. No, not sure what Th8ter is talking about... with the Denon you can configure all of your inputs and outputs via the ethernet connection as well as all the other settings on the receiver. The 905 has 3 tabs that are accessible from the network, Unit Information, Preset Internet Radio, & Network Setting. Personally the Network connection does not seem very well thought out or implemented on the 905. Basiclly all you can do is type in and save the url's for Internet Radio (which none of us so far can get to function) and have a simple way of getting all the firmware numbers on your unit.

I thought he was asking specifically about the internet radio set up from Web page. You are correct if he was talking about all set ups. Only the internet radio can be set up via webpage. Sorry about the confusion.
post #560 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by th8ter View Post

Try checking the speaker Ohms vs what you have the receiver ohms set at. Make sure zone 2 or 3 is not on with 7.1 set up.

I re-worked my speaker wire and that did the trick

I can fire up the PS3 and get glorious picture and sound.
However, I cannot get sound for my HD8300 DVR box. I have selected HDMI in the cable box menu but no go. I have picture but no sound.

Any idea.

Secondly,

Why does the enter button on the remote seem not to function????

HELP
post #561 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I re-worked my speaker wire and that did the trick

I can fire up the PS3 and get glorious picture and sound.
However, I cannot get sound for my HD8300 DVR box. I have selected HDMI in the cable box menu but no go. I have picture but no sound.

Any idea.

Secondly,

Why does the enter button on the remote seem not to function????

HELP

Several of us have commented on the Enter button...... I think Onkyo got a bad batch of Remotes from whoever they subbed them out to.

Don't have any experience with the 8300 other than to know they are troublesome... every local CableCo issues different firmware (for some bizarre reason) and so features available in one area will not be available in others.

Recheck all of your settings in both the 8300 and 905 and if it still does not work then a call to your CableCo is in order...

I actually had exactly that same problem with an HD-Tivo and a Denon 2807 AVR. Picture, but no sound. Denon claimed it was the Tivo's fault... Tivo/DTV claimed that it was Denon's fault... and I got nowhere even going to the VP of engineering with Denon. So I traded the 2807 for a Pioneer Elite 84 and the video and sound worked perfectly from the first time I hooked it up..... although of course I later found a Different BUG with the Elite 84... which has now been superceeded with the 905. :-)

post #562 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 11:52 AM

Has anyone used used their 905 on a 7.1 - 4ohm setup? I have my 905 preordered through VE for the end of Aug. early Sept delivery. It will be used on a 7.1 Polk Lsi line (4 ohm) Home Theater, SVS PB12-Plus/2 Sub, and Im wondering whether or not to purchase a separate amp.
post #563 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 12:12 PM

I'm having issues with my 905 and my Oppo 980. I've set it all up via HDMI, and can't seem to get the full multichannel stream to pass. I've checked the manual, done anything they list there, and still no progress. For some reason, I couldn't select "small" for the S. Back Speaker or "DSD" for SACD audio, both were locked with a disc fully stopped. What's going wrong here? All my other components work just fine (including my PS3, which is also HDMI-only).

-Corey
post #564 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:

You probably have a speaker wire short , I would connect the speakers one at a time and increase the volume to find the faulty wire/speaker/connection.

Oh I see you fixed it
post #565 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 12:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardt_8 View Post

Has anyone used used their 905 on a 7.1 - 4ohm setup? I have my 905 preordered through VE for the end of Aug. early Sept delivery. It will be used on a 7.1 Polk Lsi line (4 ohm) Home Theater, SVS PB12-Plus/2 Sub, and Im wondering whether or not to purchase a separate amp.

The 905 will handle this load with ease. I'm a big Polk LSi fan. Enjoy

Making the most out of what I got.
post #566 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post

I looked through the 905 manual and didn't see any information on these settings. Can someone tell me how to locate them. Are they perhaps in a hidden menu?

Making the most out of what I got.
post #567 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 12:33 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earnhardt_8 View Post

If I were you, I would purchase a separate 3 channel AMP for your LCR ( let the 905 power the surrounds ) and enjoy those LSIs the way they were meant to be enjoyed...

I already have separate amplification for my surrouunds so i am going with the Integra 9.8...

Panasonic 65GT50 1080p 3D Plasma TV

Integra DTC-9.8 prepro - Panasonic BDT500 BD Player

Velodyne HGS-15X Subwoofer

Cinenova Grande 3 ( 600W x 3 )
Polk LSi15 x 2, LSIC

Polk LC265i x 3

post #568 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 01:04 PM

Okay, I received my TX-NR905 from Value Electronics last Thursday and hooked it up this afternoon. I've got a cheap Yamakawa DVD player (came free with my laptop!) connected with component cables to the Onkyo's input 1, and then from the Onkyo's component out to a Panasonic tube TV (no HDMI display yet, I'm waiting on the Pioneer FD-150 or Panasonic TH-58PZ750).

When I'm on the Onkyo's menu, the picture is normal. To me, that rules out a problem with the cable between the Onkyo and TV.

But when I'm viewing the DVD player output, it is horizontally compressed, with vertical gray bars and then the left and right edges of the picture are repeated, partially horizontally tiled (see attached picture). In the Onkyo's Monitor Out menu I've got HDMI Monitor set to No, Resolution to through. In the Picture Quality menu, Picture Mode to Auto and everything else off. In OSD Setup, Monitor Type is set to 4:3.

I've tried a different cable between the DVD player and Onkyo, and connecting to the Onkyo's input 2, but the same distorted picture results.

This feels like a setup problem, but I haven't been able to figure it out. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
LL
post #569 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

dprevett...

Check the settings in your DVD player... it should have settings for either 4:3 or 16:9 display.

post #570 of 8818 Old 08-11-2007, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrstevens421 View Post

I looked through the 905 manual and didn't see any information on these settings. Can someone tell me how to locate them. Are they perhaps in a hidden menu?

In my post #365 I have a scan of the Picture Menu information. It was included on half of a page of an insert included with the 905.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page