Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertparker View Post

i just offered one call 1650 they told me no way

At least I know I'm not the only one getting screwed by them. I tried 3 different people today and they all refused to lower price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
I just checked their (one call )price match policy.... 7 days. I would never buy from a store that didn't offer 30 day price protection.
post #33 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 02:28 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I wouldn't buy from a store that does not price match period!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #34 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 04:35 PM

the official 4308 thread made a lot more progress by the 2nd page than this one... *cough*cough*

TV: Pioneer KURO PDP-6010FD
Receiver: Denon AVR-4520CI
Blu-Ray: Playstation 3
Media Player: Dune HD Max
DVD/SACD: Oppo DV-980H
Speakers: Paradigm Millenia 200 5.1 system
post #35 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 04:36 PM
AVS Club Gold

I agree. This thread was started prematurely...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #36 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 04:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I agree. This thread was started prematurely...

Sour grapes cuz OP got his before you???

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #37 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 04:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
The progress of these threads gets better and better.. YOU ARE ALL ADDICTED

......"hey man, can I score a 805 from you ?..." "Man, you don't want that sh**, get a load of the 905...this stuff will have you lit up all night !"
post #38 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubavs View Post

Sour grapes cuz OP got his before you???

No, because we have to wade through 6 pages of banter before we get to any useful information.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #39 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 05:28 PM
AVS Special Member

And to make matters worse, the OP is in Hawaii, so if he starts playing with his new toy at 6:00pm, it will already be 11:00pm on the East Coast .

Edit: I forgot that Hawaii does not have Daylight Saving Time, so it would be 10:00pm.
post #40 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 06:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

That was my point! I don't care who gets one first as long as they at least give some info besides, I just got it and man this box looks great!

post #41 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 06:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

That was my point! I don't care who gets one first as long as they at least give some info besides, I just got it and man this box looks great!

Wish I could say that, though!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #42 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 06:16 PM

Liked: 11
please assess the 905 for popping during hd dvd or ps3 menu and hdmi source change. Also for heat during long play. does the 905 adequately stretch 4:3 source?

PSN ID: PSYCHDOCTOR1
post #43 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychdoctor View Post

please assess the 905 for popping during hd dvd or ps3 menu and hdmi source change. Also for heat during long play. does the 905 adequately stretch 4:3 source?

I don't know why I care as I have one coming also, but I too would like to know if the annoying popping is still there. Also would be good to know if you have better luck with the HDMI synching.

And most importantly, does the Reon in the 905 give you more tweaking options than the 875.

Achievement Unlocked

post #44 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 06:34 PM
Advanced Member

I have an idea, why don't we scrap this thread and have someone start a "real" official thread where the first poster actually posts SOMETHING about 905. No offense to the creator of this board but it's pretty clear that he was more worried about being able to claim that he started the thread than he was about posting some info on the receiver.
post #45 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 06:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2006 View Post

I have an idea, why don't we scrap this thread and have someone start a "real" official thread where the first poster actually posts SOMETHING about 905. No offense to the creator of this board but it's pretty clear that he was more worried about being able to claim that he started the thread than he was about posting some info on the receiver.

I agree, someone start a "The" official Onkyo TX-NR905 thread.

Achievement Unlocked

post #46 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 06:54 PM

I am going to start an official "I live in Canada and want a NR905 Thread"
post #47 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I agree, someone start a "The" official Onkyo TX-NR905 thread.

I concur also.

The new OP of the thread has to be enthusiast and take some minor ownership of thread with occasional care & feeding of the 1st post.

I have seen other threads around here maintained very well under that metholodgy.

This is a message board, not an instant message board. Just to say "Yay" I have one and have the word "Offiical" in the title does not cut it.

I will be looking for "The official Onkyo TX-NR905" thread to spawn soon.

Samsung UN55B8500 (In Transit),Parasound Halo A51 & HCA-3500,Energy Veritas 2.4, 2.3, 2.2 & 2.0R's 7.1Onkyo 906 & 3007Oppo BDP-83, PS3
post #48 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry.P View Post

I concur also.

The new OP of the thread has to be enthusiast and take some minor ownership of thread with occasional care & feeding of the 1st post.

I have seen other threads around here maintained very well under that metholodgy.

This is a message board, not an instant message board. Just to say "Yay" I have one and have the word "Offiical" in the title does not cut it.

I will be looking for "The official Onkyo TX-NR905" thread to spawn soon.

Hopefully someone like egcarter will take up the cause...
post #49 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 08:24 PM
AVS Club Gold

If he won't then I will shortly. I think egcarter should do the honors though. Come on Eric! Start "THE" official 905 thread...

post #50 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 08:58 PM

This thread would be a lot neater if everyone didn't chime in to complain that there's too many posts not actually about the 905--yeah no kidding, they're your posts complaining about it! Sheesh.
post #51 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnsteph10 View Post

One call is ridiculous - they really piss me off. Charging MSRP. They would ship it for free though! Aren't they generous.

It looks like everywhere else is getting them in over the weekend/early next week. Dang it. One call still has 8 left - at 1999.98.

MSRP is actually $2099. MAP is $1999.

-E
post #52 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 PM
AVS Club Gold

Give ___call credit, they are 2 cents under MAP!

post #53 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 11:17 PM

Liked: 12
Dudes:

Let's give Jon S a frickin' chance. After all, he's not an amateur (like me). Look at his post numbers and join-date. He's prolly just got home from work right now, and he has already updated his original post.

Let's not be too over-obsessive about who's got "ownership" of this much anticipated thread. I know we are all anxious to see if the 905 meets our expectations/anticipations. I, for one, have made the 905 my top "runner", but I have serious questions regarding its upscaling characteristics; can it preserve the OAR of the original source material?; (the OAR question, as far as digital TV material, seems to depend heavily on if your STB will auto-add side-boxing to standard 4:3 480i/etc material before sending it to your AVR's deinterlacing/upscaling process). I'm, for one, am hoping this Onkyo will measure-up; 'cuz it looks like it will be the only player-in-town for the remainder of the entire year besides its sister Integra DTC 9.8 (which should be expected to perform the same) and the $6,000+ Denon AVP counterpart. I also believe this 905 can be expected to perform almost identically to the 875 (as far as its video capabilities) until hopeful anticipated Onkyo firmware updates will come down the line (if they will indeed ever materialize). That's why I'm closely following the 875 ownership thread too.

Hoping Onkyo will get it all together with this 905 !!! If we have meaningful organized general input to add to this thread, let's PM it to Jon S for him to add to his initial posting (of course, at his discretion, but we could make his job a little easier).

-- da Choge in Dallas

BDP-83 EAP (second group)
post #54 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 11:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Updated:
Finally setup the 905... here is what I noticed...

1. The dreaded popping sound is still there. When starting DVDs, there is some static coming from the speakers (in fact, the manual warns you of this...)

Hmmm, interesting. My 875 was dead quiet except for the popping on PS3. How loud do you have the volume to hear the static?

Quote:

2. The Reon upscaling seems to be okay, not as good as my Denon 3930CI, but better than other receivers I have seen. There are options to adjust macro blocking, edge enhancement, noise and type of source (video, film or auto). I noticed it is best to set the unit to pass thru if you have a player that can upscale. I set the PS3 to 480P but the text on the info screen is noticeably softer. I have not really played to many DVDs on it yet but it APPEARS to me that the Reon does not appear as sharp as the PS3. Will verify with more testing.

I find this very hard to believe that the Reon in the 905 does a worse job upscaling than the faroudja in the Denon. This is the main reason this receiver has been so highly anticipated. While not a night and day difference I definitely would give the nod to the Reon in the video department, especially after a good calibration. If testing the scaling/deinterlacing ability of the Reon you are going to want to set the PS3 to 1080i not 480p. What resolution do you have the Reon upscaling set to? Are you sure it's not set to no or through? I am glad to hear that there are options included on the 905 to adjust different parameters on the Reon.

Quote:

3. The menus are better than previous Onkyo's but not as nifty as the Sony XMB on their ES receivers. In fact, the Onkyo OSD seems rather basic when the colors are not taken into account.

Good to know, even though I sure hope that won't be a deciding factor for anyone. I actually like the menu on the 875, quick and simple the way it should be.

Quote:

3. Worse, the display shows MULTI-CHANNEL out no matter what discrete format it has... Dolby Digital, True HD or DTS... they all show MULTI-CHANNEL on the display. If not for the PS3 info screen, I would have no idea what it was playing.

This has been discussed many times. There is currently no player that can pass the codecs via bitstream. They all have to be decoded in the player and passed via PCM. Until the next gen player is released that is able to do bitstream your receiver will only show multi channel.

Quote:

4. The HDMI signal seems to lose some sharpness. It appears that the HDMI output loses some sharpness when going thru the receiver. It looked to me that the picture looked better going directly to the projector (a MArantz VP12S3, btw).

This I also find tough to swallow. You must have some insanely good eyesight. I have tried direct and through the receiver and could detect no loss of sharpness whatsoever, especially seeing as the Reon is doing the upscaling, which is superior to anything else I have.

Achievement Unlocked

post #55 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 11:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

The dreaded popping sound is still there. When starting DVDs, there is some static coming from the speakers (in fact, the manual warns you of this...)

Any popping when starting a movie on the PS3? It really does mention it in the manual? Will have to go read that.

Quote:

The Reon upscaling seems to be okay, not as good as my Denon 3930CI, but better than other receivers I have seen. There are options to adjust macro blocking, edge enhancement, noise and type of source (video, film or auto). I noticed it is best to set the unit to pass thru if you have a player that can upscale. I set the PS3 to 480P but the text on the info screen is noticeably softer. I have not really played to many DVDs on it yet but it APPEARS to me that the Reon does not appear as sharp as the PS3. Will verify with more testing.

I have a Denon 2930ci so that would probably play all of my SD-DVDs anyway. Are you able to test 1080i to 108p deinterlacing and compare it to how well your projector does it?

Quote:

After having the Audyssey calibrate the sound, I must say I am really impressed with the audio. Played the remastered Fifth Element Blu-Ray and the audio is greatly improved from the SuperBit DVD with a lot more detail (played back the BR with Dolby True-HD). Note that you must set the audio on the PS3 to Linear PCM, NOT bitstream to get the discrete surround to playback correctly with HDMI. Couple of irritating things, only ONE subwoofer output. Worse, the display shows MULTI-CHANNEL out no matter what discrete format it has... Dolby Digital, True HD or DTS... they all show MULTI-CHANNEL on the display. If not for the PS3 info screen, I would have no idea what it was playing.

You will never get the receiver display to say Tru-HD, etc until there is players that can output bitstream to the receivers. the PS3 is not capable of this. So every receiver has this issue right now.

Quote:

The HDMI signal seems to lose some sharpness. It appears that the HDMI output loses some sharpness when going thru the receiver. It looked to me that the picture looked better going directly to the projector (a MArantz VP12S3, btw).

What type of HDMI sources are we talking about here?

Quote:

Have enough cables for setup. I could only hook up one HDMI input since I was short cables... forgot about them... DOH!

I always seem to do that also

Thanks for the updates and the offer to answer questions. I really hope it all works out for you.
post #56 of 8818 Old 08-03-2007, 11:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I find this very hard to believe that the Reon in the 905 does a worse job upscaling than the faroudja in the Denon. This is the main reason this receiver has been so highly anticipated. While not a night and day difference I definitely would give the nod to the Reon in the video department, especially after a good calibration. If testing the scaling/deinterlacing ability of the Reon you are going to want to set the PS3 to 1080i not 480p. What resolution do you have the Reon upscaling set to? Are you sure it's not set to no or through? I am glad to hear that there are options included on the 905 to adjust different parameters on the Reon.

The Denon 3930 doesn't have a Faroudja... it has the Realta chip which is the upgraded chip of the Reon.
post #57 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 AM

Where are the pictures?
post #58 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkgriffin View Post

The Denon 3930 doesn't have a Faroudja... it has the Realta chip which is the upgraded chip of the Reon.

You're right, didn't realize he was talking about a DVD player. I saw the CI and though he was talking about the newer Denon line, especially when me mentions directly afterwards the comparison to other receivers. (I need to go to bed. )

Achievement Unlocked

post #59 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 08:26 AM

Two questions:
1. Could you please describe in detail what exactly the popping sound is like? Does it come up just when you start the receiver or does it keep going on throughout the playing time? I have an Onkyo TX SR797. A clicking noise has rendered it a piece of garbage. I cannot believe it if Onkyo comes up with a whole line of new receivers whose specs look so attractive with the same kind of problem. I hope it's not the same kind of problem, though.
2. The 805 and 875 are said of having serious problem with over-heating. The 905 features a massive toroidal transformer and two other transformers for vedio and audio respectively. Have you noticed any over-heating problem with the 905?

Your answer will to a great extent determine if I will give Onkyo another chance by purchasing a 905. Many thanks in advance.
post #60 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 18
What over-heating problems? They get warm/hot especially if not ventilated properly, but certainly do not overheat.

John

Loganed...finally. 6/6/08
My 3.0 HT Build Thread
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page