post #721 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indecision View Post

This might be a dumb question but do any of you run an HTPC through your 905 (or 875) and use the 905 to do the scaling? I am going to be adding an HTPC to my theater and was wondering if it makes more sense to let the REON scale than to use up a lot of processing power scaling DVD's within the computer. Besides it sounds like the REON has better processing algorithms than any of the available software and most of the available video cards. Any thoughts? Sorry that this is a little off topic.

Thanks

Does your TV have a VGA input? If so, I would recommend using that. I personally think connecting a computer via HDMI is unnecessary, I have my computer connected directly to the TV and the picture is great for everything I do, including games.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 06:34 PM

Finally made the decision and ordered the TX-NR 905. Speakers are Klipsch RF-7's for the fronts, RC64 center, R5800W for rears and surrounds and RSW10D for the sub. TV is the Panny TH-58PZ700U. Can't wait to hook it all up.
post #723 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I think it is safe to say that the Reon will be better than most any video card that is generally available.

Quote:

This might be a dumb question but do any of you run an HTPC through your 905 (or 875) and use the 905 to do the scaling? I am going to be adding an HTPC to my theater and was wondering if it makes more sense to let the REON scale than to use up a lot of processing power scaling DVD's within the computer. Besides it sounds like the REON has better processing algorithms than any of the available software and most of the available video cards. Any thoughts? Sorry that this is a little off topic.

Thanks

post #724 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 07:22 PM

Quote:

Is there much of a difference between streaming straight to the 905 versus using an Xbox 360 as a Media extender? The Xbox lets me stream audio and view photos from my media PC. It will supposedly also stream movies, but I haven't tried that.
post #725 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 07:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks

I should have my 905B tomorrow, and I will connect my HTPC through it. However, I am not expect the 905 to do anything, since the PC already sends 1080p to the TV.

To get the most out of the Reon using an HTPC, you would want to set the desktop resolution to 480i, which would look awful for a desktop. Also, I would expect that at 480i, the video card would still do some processing, which would interfere with the Reon.

Ideally, for SD DVD playback, you want to send a native 480i signal to the Reon. I have a MyHD card that has a native setting. The MyHD card has its own video hardware and DVI output. I expect that the Reon will do a nice job with the MyHD output. I also have a TViX player with a DVI output, and I expect that it will also look great when I set the output to 480i.

-Dave
post #726 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
Advanced Member

Hello-

I need to split the sub out into 4 to connect up the rest of my gear. Does anyone have advice on how to do so? In the past, when I needed to split into two, I used a simple Radio Shack Y splitter. I have not seen one that goes into four so what is the best method to split?

FYI, I need to send signal to dual subwoofers (both are SVS 20-39s PCIs) and also two ButtKicker amps which supply 8 ButterKicker LFEs.

Thanks,
T.Wells
post #727 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 08:45 PM

DPlettner,

Does your myHD card output a seperate video feed than what is output for your desktop? Since you won't be using your 905 for the scaling, what software handles the scaling for you?
post #728 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Wells View Post

Hello-

I need to split the sub out into 4 to connect up the rest of my gear. Does anyone have advice on how to do so? In the past, when I needed to split into two, I used a simple Radio Shack Y splitter. I have not seen one that goes into four so what is the best method to split?

FYI, I need to send signal to dual subwoofers (both are SVS 20-39s PCIs) and also two ButtKicker amps which supply 8 ButterKicker LFEs.

Thanks,
T.Wells

I'd think 1 y splitter coming out of the back, and on each end of the y add another y splitter. All you need is a signal so there shouldn't be any problem going that route. Just make sure you get high quality splitters.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #729 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DPlettner,

Does your myHD card output a seperate video feed than what is output for your desktop? Since you won't be using your 905 for the scaling, what software handles the scaling for you?

Yes, the MyHD card has it's own output. If you have the DVI add-on card, then MyHD has a DVI switch that let's you select between the DVI output from your video card or the DVI output from MyHD. Alternatively, you can run both outputs to your TV or an AVR and do the switching there.

All video cards automatically scale up to the selected resolution. In general, I would expect the Reon to do a better job. However, supposedly the latest nVidia 8XXX and ATI 2XXX cards do a great job. I have an nVidia 7600GT.

Since video cards have historically not had great scaling, many people use FFDShow to upscale the video using a Lanczos algorithm, and then use a software player like TheaterTek or Zoom Player. The nVidia Purevideo decoders work great in this setup. It takes a ton of tweaking to get it right, but it can be very impressive.

I am looking forward to comparing my current TheaterTek/FFDshow setup with Reon scaling of a native 480i DVD signal.

-Dave
post #730 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bllaxx View Post

Thanks for this great news! Now I have a few more questions I hope you can answer me...

1. One folder? Can there be more folders in this folder? I have one folder "Music" and within that folder I have lots of other folders with the names of the bands. Will this work? Or do I have to have one folder and all the mp3 just in this folder...?
2. How fast are the reaction times when choosing songs with the remote? Can you quickly scroll through the list or is it very tedious to find a particular song?
3. While one song is playing can you look through the list of songs without the music stopping? I am thinking of a situation during a party where someone will look through the songs but does not want to stop the music playing at that moment.
4. Overall, would you say the streaming feature is "party-proof"? Random play working etc.?

I apologize for not getting back to you quicker, but I was experimenting with adding folders and got into a mess.

1. Yes, there can be more than one folder. Our setups seem similar and mine works. I do not believe it can be folders deep though. I made my music folders a few folders deeper and the 905 could no longer see the files.
2. The reaction time is pretty good. I really don't feel a delay like I do when using the Netgear EVA8000. I think it is tedious when scrolling through songs. I could not find a way to scroll a page at a time. You can only scroll one folder or file at a time.
3. Yea, this is annoying too. During song play, when you press the RETURN button the song stops. My Netgear allows this and is handy.
4. Random play seems to work fine. The problem I have seen is after playing several songs the 905 just stops playing and I have to completely back out to the server list and start over again. This would be a real bummer during a party....I am playing MP3s now and it has not stopped yet....

Rob
post #731 of 8818 Old 08-14-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Thanks

Yes indeed -- I toyed around a little bit w/ this with my 875.

A couple of comments:

a) The lowest resolution you can get out of the graphics card is likely to be 480p (no interlaced output). Also, you might want to use a program like PowerStrip so that the output changes to that resolution only when the DVD player program is run.

b) The HDMI-DVI connector cable will work only for video and you might have a tough time convincing the Onkyo to accept audio over another input. It's best if your graphics card has component output, but I think there aren't very many of them.
post #732 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strmbrgr View Post

I apologize for not getting back to you quicker, but I was experimenting with adding folders and got into a mess.

1. Yes, there can be more than one folder. Our setups seem similar and mine works. I do not believe it can be folders deep though. I made my music folders a few folders deeper and the 905 could no longer see the files.
2. The reaction time is pretty good. I really don't feel a delay like I do when using the Netgear EVA8000. I think it is tedious when scrolling through songs. I could not find a way to scroll a page at a time. You can only scroll one folder or file at a time.
3. Yea, this is annoying too. During song play, when you press the RETURN button the song stops. My Netgear allows this and is handy.
4. Random play seems to work fine. The problem I have seen is after playing several songs the 905 just stops playing and I have to completely back out to the server list and start over again. This would be a real bummer during a party....I am playing MP3s now and it has not stopped yet....

Rob

Thanks Rob for your answers... I will have to check if the Denon has the same problems then :-(...
In 4. you say "The problem I have seen is after playing several songs the 905 just stops playing ". Has this happend more than once? This would be really bad, I think. Maybe it got to a broken mp3 and stopped instead of jumping to the next...?
post #733 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2006 View Post

Yes you should be able to do this, because the FM tuner is a pure audio source (just like the Phono and CD inputs) and thus you can select a video source first, such as DVD, and then click on Tuner. The video source would stay active, but the sound would come from FM tuner. What you CANT do, of course, is have video from one video input (like DVD) combined with sound from another video input (like Game/TV). But yeah, any pure audio input can be combined with any other video input

Thanks for this insight, Dude2006!

As somebody just told me he could not get this to work on his 905, could someone here test this also, to see if what works in theory also works in practice? Many thanks.
post #734 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vowani View Post

Thanks for this insight, Dude2006!

As somebody just told me he could not get this to work on his 905, could someone here test this also, to see if what works in theory also works in practice? Many thanks.

Well I don't know what the person that said it didn't work did, but as I type this my tv is displaying video from Game/TV video input (a Series 3 Tivo connected via HDMI) while I'm listening to FM 90.5 on the radio
post #735 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

I'd think 1 y splitter coming out of the back, and on each end of the y add another y splitter. All you need is a signal so there shouldn't be any problem going that route. Just make sure you get high quality splitters.

Bass Addict,

Thanks. This is what I was thinking but was worried about signal loss. I can't think of a better alternative so it will be worth a shot when I reach that phase (hopefully 2-weeks).

Thanks again,
T.Wells
post #736 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
That's how I do it! I am using 7 subs in my theater!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #737 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

That's how I do it! I am using 7 subs in my theater!

Holy Cow! Seven? Where do you put them all?
post #738 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 AM
AVS Club Gold

Actually 4 are Lolita MTXs which pretty much go up against the back of my theater seats. Two per section. Those you don't really hear you just feel. Then I have an Ultra Pinnacle which sits in the back corner and a smaller supersonic which sits in the opposite corner. Then finally I have a DIG 600 pinnacle which sits up front by the center channel. I have a window carved out of the wall where it sits... I don't go to crazy with the bass but when I want to show it off I use the explosion from True Lies. You can feel it on my second floor!

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #739 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Actually 4 are Lolita MTXs which pretty much go up against the back of my theater seats. Two per section. Those you don't really hear you just feel. Then I have an Ultra Pinnacle which sits in the back corner and a smaller supersonic which sits in the opposite corner. Then finally I have a DIG 600 pinnacle which sits up front by the center channel. I have a window carved out of the wall where it sits... I don't go to crazy with the bass but when I want to show it off I use the explosion from True Lies. You can feel it on my second floor!

Do you have pictures of your setup?
post #740 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:57 AM
AVS Club Gold

I posted some in the 805 thread. I will show a few here though...
LL
LL
LL

post #741 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 05:59 AM
AVS Club Gold

And a few more...
LL
LL
LL

post #742 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

And a few more...

Damn, now I'll be embarrased when I tell people I have a home theater. Mine consists of a paltry 67 inch tv and 7.1 setup with Polk RTIs
post #743 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Here is my goofy signs. And also a pic of my Wife's bar with her Toshiba LCD on the wall. I also can send the signal from the theater over to her bar at the same time which is really nice. Or if everyone wants to sit in the bar and watch a movie we can watch HD DVDs or Blu ray over there to. Makes it nice...
LL
LL
LL

post #744 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Club Gold

dude2006, no worries. That's how I started out. I had a 65 inch sony wv700 rptv. It was huge! Now I did this theater in my basement and then I even worked on an outdoor set up!
LL
LL
LL

post #745 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 06:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Sorry, back on topic now, it doesn't look like anyone is getting any 905s in this week...

post #746 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 06:11 AM
GJB

Can you stream from net/usb to a powered zone2 pair of speakers on the patio or is the considered a digital" input? Thanks
post #747 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sorry, back on topic now, it doesn't look like anyone is getting any 905s in this week...

That reminds me, did egcarter ever post a review? I was looking forward to his observations.
post #748 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 06:29 AM

I have a new Integra 9.8 and I'm trying to solve a minor problem. Since there are currently only a few 9.8 owners, I thought I'd see if any 905 owners might have the same issue.

Specifically, when I output a Blu-ray at 1080p24 from my PS3 and pass it through the 9.8 to a Sony Pearl projector, I cannot get the OSD from the 9.8. If I change the PS3 output to 1080p60, the OSD displays without problem.

If you have a 905 and can pass 1080p24 through the receiver, do you get the OSD?

Thanks,
Bob
post #749 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

I was wondering why he never posted any observations to... With the 875 you still get the OSD so I couldn't see why you wouldn't get it with the 905...

post #750 of 8818 Old 08-15-2007, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bllaxx View Post

Thanks Rob for your answers... I will have to check if the Denon has the same problems then :-(...
In 4. you say "The problem I have seen is after playing several songs the 905 just stops playing ". Has this happend more than once? This would be really bad, I think. Maybe it got to a broken mp3 and stopped instead of jumping to the next...?

I was not able to recreate this last night. So maybe I (or one of my kids) just hit the STOP button by accident. However, this morning I had no access to my MP3s from the 905. I would not worry to much about this since this is all new and could be a user error. Plus I have been fiddling with the NAS and the DLNA clients to get this all to work. WMP is still working...

Rob
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page