The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread - Page 294 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What's the resale value for this receiver?

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive." -Sir Walter Scott

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2013, 01:21 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I paid for a TX-NR-905 (used but in 'mint' condition) about 900€, 4/5 years ago (ler's say 1200$)
Old 11-20-2013, 06:52 AM

Liked: 11
I hope this is the correct place to post this since it has to do directly with my 905b.

For some reason, my 905's sub channel is dead. I thought it was the sub at first, but I've tried 3 different subs with the same result. When it first began failing, the sub connection would function the first few minutes after it was turned on, and at some point there would be no bass. Sometimes I could get the sub channel working again for a bit by cycling power to the 905, but now there's nothing at all.

Short of getting the unit repaired, is there a way to get bass output to my sub? The sub I'm using with the unit is a 12" Velodyne with L/R inputs and a built-in crossover dial. Thus, I assume it could accept a full range of sound and filter it appropriately. However, is there a L/R output on the 905 that can remain "on" all of the time to feed to the sub? Presently, every audio/video input is coming into the 905 via HDMI, with the sound going out directly to the speakers (as opposed to another amp, etc.). This unit is now set up in my kid's playroom, so I only have two channels dedicated (front left, front right). Feel free to ask any questions. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 61
try a factory reset first...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 11-21-2013, 07:22 AM

Liked: 11
Thanks, Jon. I'll Google the process for a factory reset and give it a shot. I'll post back here if it works/doesn't work. Thanks!
Old 11-25-2013, 02:45 AM

Hello :)

I have a problem with my old TX-NR 905.

In case of power failure, I have to reset it completely because all my settings are lost.

Do you know this and can I solve this problem? :confused:

Is this coming from an internal battery or a memory problem?

I read in a previous message that it was possible to use a UPS ?

Do you know how and witch one ?

Regards ;) 

Old 11-25-2013, 05:47 AM

This sounds like the old memory problem. Many years has passed, so I don't remember exactly, but if this is the same issue you have, you should see a error text when you save your settings (eemem error or something similar).
If this is the case, you need to replace the eeprom inside the unit. (or get an UPS).
Old 11-27-2013, 07:52 AM

OK :)

My TX-NR905 is still working good. 

I will first try the UPS solution.

Aim glad to know that is not a internal battery problem.:rolleyes:

Regards ;)

Old 12-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Just about to buy an onkyo tx nr 905 for £300. Buyer says its in great condition,comes with the box , remote etc just wondering if I'm making the right choice? Keep reading about different issues with the system.

Its either this or a demon avr 4306 for the same price. Need to know urgently. Can't make my mind up..
Old 12-07-2013, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I have a 905... I'd go for the Denon at this point... The Onkyos are just too unreliable...

Old 12-08-2013, 05:26 AM

Hi Everyone, i see this topic has been brought up previously but i cannot seem to see if it has been answered,. I have a 905 and recently the video has been shutting down, Originally it shout down due to heat but when cooled would restart but now it takes out the video. Could someone please help.

Old 12-08-2013, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Your HDMI board is failing... You can try and replace the bad caps with new ones on the board... Not hard if you are proficient in soldering.... There are some posts on this....

Old 12-09-2013, 01:25 AM

Thanks without seeming stupid how do i find these posts?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Your HDMI board is failing... You can try and replace the bad caps with new ones on the board... Not hard if you are proficient in soldering.... There are some posts on this....

I ask you this question as I have seen your post about your failed 906

I have had a string of Onkyo units...all THX ultra rated units in the last 5-6 years...both receivers and pre.pros
I have had some issues..but KNOCK ON WOOD...they always occurred under warranty
I still have a 5508 pre/pro and a 5009 receiver

Recently...in the last two years or so...I have come across several Onkyo receivers being sold as "junk" due to the owners telling me the HDMI boards were dead

I thought what the heck I can still use the optical for a secondary to power the deck speakers etc

Any I bought an 875 for about $80 two years ago...got it home and it worked fine!!!. It has since had issues but I took it to a local shop and they "did something" and charged me $40
It works again...but now you have to have a video output actively on for the unit to play any HDMI input...not a big deal

Anyway...bought a 906 last week under the same circumstances...main HDMI out is dead...sub output works fine...HDMI 2 is dead...the other 3 inputs work fine

Sorry for the long message

but...two questions

do you think the 906 is going to fail shortly ..is this the way they typically start?

Its hard for me to believe something gave the unit up for junk...as I bought it from an electronics recycling business that get most of their units from donations or warranty junked claims I guess

Could some of these issues be solved...reasonably inexpensively by a good audio shop...or are the shops just saying "HDMI board dead"?

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 12-15-2013, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Most of the Onkyo failures are due to the use of 85 degree C rated caps being used. As the caps start to fail because of high thermals on the HDMI noard, the outputs gets erratic. Replacing the caps with 100 degree types usually will fix the problem. I also added heat sinks on the three ICs on the HDMI board to relieve the excess heat. I used the self adhesive heat sinks that are available for the Xbox 360s. They fit perfectly on the Onkyo HDMI board....

Old 12-16-2013, 10:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

Most of the Onkyo failures are due to the use of 85 degree C rated caps being used. As the caps start to fail because of high thermals on the HDMI noard, the outputs gets erratic. Replacing the caps with 100 degree types usually will fix the problem. I also added heat sinks on the three ICs on the HDMI board to relieve the excess heat. I used the self adhesive heat sinks that are available for the Xbox 360s. They fit perfectly on the Onkyo HDMI board....

What IC's do you put the heat sinks on? The DSP? The graphics controller? How do I identify them?

Bonus questions (sorry if they are too many)

What version of firmware is the first 'good' version that is functional, or does it have to be the latest (1.05, was it?). Is there an online guide to updating firmware? In the manual perhaps? One is advertised with v1.08 on ebay... for $235 current bidding... allegedly working perfectly but I doubt it...

If I am purchasing a used NR-905, what should I look out for? What is a reasonable price for an apparently working receiver (fm radio works) on ebay or should I just stay away entirely?

Is there a single source for all the repairs/updates that are recommended for this model, including HDMI capacitors to replace, firmware update, eeprom replacement, etc (did I miss anything?) Is a laundry list available anywhere to follow when I am upgrading to a 'usable' state or is it safe to just use it as-is if it is working and pray nothing fails after the updates are no longer available?

Is the HDMI board still 'repairable' i.e. is there a source of functional boards such as an ebay informal HDMI repair service (not that I can find for this particular model) or an online documented Onkyo technical bulletin (update) I can follow that fixes the HDMI thermal failed capacitors, without requiring special daughter board like in the TX-NR808 or eeprom replacement or chip replacement...?

Any other common hardware failure these NR905 receivers are known for that is unrepairable or uneconomical to repair?

I only ask because this thread is so long it could take weeks to read the whole thing to find the answers. I skimmed it and found so many issues I cannot keep track, such as eeprom/memory failure, firmware-induced DSP malfunction, HDMI capacitor failure etc. even just trying to follow the notes in the beginning of the thread is confusing.

I need to know I can afford to repair at a repair shop or if there is an online guide that identifies the failing capacitors for me so I can replace them myself, before I purchase any TX-NR905 used. I cannot afford to throw away money on a lemon. Is the 905 a lemon?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJosie View Post

What IC's do you put the heat sinks on? The DSP? The graphics controller? How do I identify them?

Bonus questions (sorry if they are too many)

What version of firmware is the first 'good' version that is functional, or does it have to be the latest (1.05, was it?). Is there an online guide to updating firmware? In the manual perhaps? One is advertised with v1.08 on ebay... for $235 current bidding... allegedly working perfectly but I doubt it...

If I am purchasing a used NR-905, what should I look out for? What is a reasonable price for an apparently working receiver (fm radio works) on ebay or should I just stay away entirely?

Is there a single source for all the repairs/updates that are recommended for this model, including HDMI capacitors to replace, firmware update, eeprom replacement, etc (did I miss anything?) Is a laundry list available anywhere to follow when I am upgrading to a 'usable' state or is it safe to just use it as-is if it is working and pray nothing fails after the updates are no longer available?

Is the HDMI board still 'repairable' i.e. is there a source of functional boards such as an ebay informal HDMI repair service (not that I can find for this particular model) or an online documented Onkyo technical bulletin (update) I can follow that fixes the HDMI thermal failed capacitors, without requiring special daughter board like in the TX-NR808 or eeprom replacement or chip replacement...?

Any other common hardware failure these NR905 receivers are known for that is unrepairable or uneconomical to repair?

I only ask because this thread is so long it could take weeks to read the whole thing to find the answers. I skimmed it and found so many issues I cannot keep track, such as eeprom/memory failure, firmware-induced DSP malfunction, HDMI capacitor failure etc. even just trying to follow the notes in the beginning of the thread is confusing.

I need to know I can afford to repair at a repair shop or if there is an online guide that identifies the failing capacitors for me so I can replace them myself, before I purchase any TX-NR905 used. I cannot afford to throw away money on a lemon. Is the 905 a lemon?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

IIRC, I put the heat sinks on three chips... You can tell which ones because they get really hot when powered on. Firmware 1.05 is the said to be the first really working version. prior ones still had issues. The big problem now is that there is no location where you can get any firmware updates as most of them have expired.

What you really need to do is to make sure you update the DSP decoders as the 905 decoders had faulty programming which result in a loud bang playing back certain blu-ray discs.

I have not heard of anyone having issues with the HDMI board once the caps are replaced with higher rated ones. The caps are cheap, costing several dollars for everything. I have worked on mine, it is relatively easy if you know how to solder and you are patient.

The 905 is not a lemon, the only issues i have heard of is the bad caps on the HDMI board. Remember though, the 905 is several years old, and as such, reliability goes downhill. If you are looking at other Onkyo receivers, i would seriously pass on them. Every generation sicne the 905 has had issues of sorts.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:24 AM

Hi guys, I am looking for some advice. I am not A/V geek as meany of you here and so I am hoping to get some feedback from your experience with NR905. I've got the receiver when they came out I think.. Many years ago. It's been working fine for me with PS3, multimedia PC and cable box hooked up to it.
The problem I have now is that receiver is shutting down whenever I turn the volume up to enjoy the movie. If there is loud scene the receiver will shut down. Red LED blinking. I understand it protection feature. I had the receiver in cabinet and I have moved it out on top of the cabinet so it has all the airflow that it needs. That did not solve the problem. With lower volume the problem is not repeated. Who wants to watch action movies with low volume, right? Also i am not sure if it is relevant but it is happening when I have movie running from laptop with video and sound running thru HDMI to receiver and than video to my TV via HDMI. I have Insignia 5.1 speaker system.

I took the cover off to see if there is dust and other stuff as we have cats around the house that like to sneak up and lay down on the receiver when running. I am trying to keep them off when it's on. Inside looked fairly clean.

What should be my next step to troubleshoot this? Is that known problem with available fix? I have never done any firmware update.

Thank you for your help. Charles
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 AM

Liked: 12
Id check the cables and make sure the polarity is right. Run audyssey perhaps.

------------
IAM
Old 12-31-2013, 05:52 PM

iamluvinlife, I think polarity is fine. I did ran audyssey yesterday and it would probably picked up on some issues with polarity as well, correct? Anyway, I was watching movie today and receiver turned off after 20 minutes again. It only happens when it running somewhat loud.

Any other ideas? Any way to find out why it shut itself off? It's really frustrating. It was not cheapest thing on the market and I bought it because I thought quality was there. mad.gif

Anyone?
Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 PM

Liked: 12
Sorry no I don't. Had that receiver and the same thing happened to me. If I remember it was either the polarity or a couple of speaker wires loosened and were making contact in the back. Once I reseated everything if was fine. Until the hdmi board went.

------------
IAM
Old 01-02-2014, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 692 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles_cz View Post

iamluvinlife, I think polarity is fine. I did ran audyssey yesterday and it would probably picked up on some issues with polarity as well, correct? Anyway, I was watching movie today and receiver turned off after 20 minutes again. It only happens when it running somewhat loud.

Any other ideas? Any way to find out why it shut itself off? It's really frustrating. It was not cheapest thing on the market and I bought it because I thought quality was there. mad.gif

Anyone?

you speakers all good?

sometimes a blown driver in a speaker can make a receiver shut down

otherwise.I would say your receiver needs service

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5509 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp B&W CM10s..CM2 center...CM5's.rears
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
Old 02-01-2014, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnne1 View Post

you speakers all good?

sometimes a blown driver in a speaker can make a receiver shut down

otherwise.I would say your receiver needs service

Warren

Thanks guys for your help.. Actually problem was in the wall. Finish nail straight through the wire shorting left rear speaker. Everything work again.. So happy.. rolleyes.gif
Old 02-16-2014, 02:51 PM

I recently acquired on of these amps. My cinema room is around 7m x 5.5m and I like my movies loud. I've been listened at around 80% volume (literally 80 on the display). On 7.1 material during certain loud scenes I get popping noises from the (front) speakers. This unfortunately took out the tweeter on my old AE107C centre speaker (replaced now with a dali ikon 2 mk2). Have I simply got the volume too loud? I would have thought 80% was within the operating range of the amp. I specifically bought this amp due to it's high power output. Do I need to move to a pre/power combo (or a power amp for the fronts to take the strain off the onkyo amp?) I'm on firmware 1.8 I believe.

Many thanks smile.gif
Old 02-16-2014, 03:06 PM

My old 905 made similar popping and crackling noises.
I don't think it's related to the power but more so with errors in the decoding of the lossless tracks. I would recommend updating to the latest main and DAC firmware. I believe it was 1.09 for the main but for the other 3 DACs I forget. I have moved on to another brand as the Onkyo generated too much heat once I relocated all my gear to an AV closet.
Good luck; some guys in this forum have had distributed privately to other members the updates as I believe they are no longer available thru Onkyo.

I wish I had more time to enjoy my gear
Old 03-19-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisyodin View Post

Good luck; some guys in this forum have had distributed privately to other members the updates as I believe they are no longer available thru Onkyo.

Any idea which users might have the latest 905 files? I don't know that mine was ever updated... any idea how to find out what version I'm running now?

tks!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:05 PM

Check the first page of this thread. there you'll find how to check what firmware and DSPs are currently loaded on your 905. Post what you have and more than likely someone will PM you with the files.

I wish I had more time to enjoy my gear
Old 03-19-2014, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevilness View Post

I recently acquired on of these amps. My cinema room is around 7m x 5.5m and I like my movies loud. I've been listened at around 80% volume (literally 80 on the display). On 7.1 material during certain loud scenes I get popping noises from the (front) speakers. This unfortunately took out the tweeter on my old AE107C centre speaker (replaced now with a dali ikon 2 mk2). Have I simply got the volume too loud? I would have thought 80% was within the operating range of the amp. I specifically bought this amp due to it's high power output. Do I need to move to a pre/power combo (or a power amp for the fronts to take the strain off the onkyo amp?) I'm on firmware 1.8 I believe.

Many thanks smile.gif

To avoid this issue (if it is the DSP bug issue), you can have your player do the decoding... Otherwise you will need to get the DTS HD-Master DSP update from Onkyo. The update is done by CD on a dedicated CD Player (it will not work on a DVD or Blu-Ray player) through a optical cable. Note that the issue occurs only with movies with DTS HD master soundtracks (unfortunately, most of them do). if you are still having the pops with Dolby Digital tracks, then the problem lies elsewhere...

Old 08-04-2014, 03:34 AM

Liked: 0
Hello,

I would like to use the XBMC 'Adjust display refresh rate to match video' functionality playing 24p movie through my Onkyo TX-NR905.

My desktop refresh rate is set on 60Hz, when I start to play a 24p movie my receiver just failed to accept the refresh rate change triggered by XBMC, and the display remain brack, with no sound. I can stop the playback and come to XBMC GUI again. If I do the same with a 25Hz encoded movie, it work fine, and diplay it at 50Hz. If I change the desktop refresh rate to 24Hz, it work fine for the 24p movies, but fail on the 25Hz movie ... and the XBMC interface is not so smooth of course.

Now if I try this connecting my HTPC directly to my TV Samsung UE55H7000 and work great ... but of course I don't have the sound on my HiFi!

So the problem seems to be around an the way the frequency swith is triggered by XBMC and my AV received who don't like it.

Here are are all the details about my configuration:

1. Version of XBMC: 13.1
2. Windows Version: Windows 8.1 64bit
3. CPU/Architecture: Intel Core i3 530
4. RAM amount: 4GB
5. Details of all devices relevant to the problem: HTPC -> Onkyo TX-NR905 -> Samsung UE55H7000 (all HDMI)
6. Video Card and Driver version: AMD Radeon HD5450 driver 14.100.0.0
7. Audio device in use: AMD HDMI driver 6.3.9600.16384

Anyone having this setup (HTPC-XBMC-NR905) using this refresh rate adjustement functionaly can say me if it works ?? If yes, can you share your configuration so I can try to understand at what point the issue is located.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, my last of my Onkyos (a TX-NR905, I owned two TX-NR905s and a TX-NR906) bit the dust. The HDMI board failed earlier in the year and I fixed it with no issues. But now, I get absolutely no sound from any input, tuner, DVD, analog or digital, whatever. The HDMI input shows no signal. I am not sure if it is the HDMI board as the analog inputs are all dead as well...

I am dumpig this unit and will look for another brand. Onkyo really sucks the big one... Every one of my Onkyos have failed. Not too good for TOTL units. Anyone who considers Onkyo right now knowing how crappy their reliability is pretty (fill in the blank)...