The "Official" Onkyo TX-NR905 Thread - Page 295 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-27-2014, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can anybody help me I did a factory reset on my receiver, and now I cannot remember how to get my Sirius radio working again?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2014, 11:02 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I lost Ethernet and USB working in my TX-NR905, I tried Hard reset VCR+Standby = Net Clear skip [ent] then push Enter and display show "Clear" nothing helped.
Network settings in Menu is unselectable, receiver is connected to router, also not any blinking port behind receiver and router.

EDIT

I checked firmware versions and looks like it lost firmware for Net because shows "?"

Main 9....1.08 / 08223A
SR8051...08214A
SR8052...07518A
SR8053...07820B
HDMI......1.01 / 07706A
Video......07606E00924
Net........?
Net usr...blank
Net rfs...blank
Net krn....blank
Net ipl...blank

How to fix that ? Which firmware contain soft for Net ? Main or DSP ? Please help

Sony 46HX850 | Sony 46Z4500 | Onkyo 905, Monitor Audio RX8 + RX LCR | Logitech Z-680 | HTPC: (Core i5 4570S, Asus H87M-PRO, 4GB, Intel X25-M 80GB SSD, WD20EARS, Pionner BDC-202, Antec Fusion Remote Black)

Last edited by PeterPL; 12-05-2014 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2015, 04:50 AM

Liked: 0
Nadsp-9072

Hi, I'm new on sait I have a question, where can I find a NADSP - 9072 boards for ONKYO TX- nr905 ? Thanks.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
For those of us still using this receiver I have a question. Is it common for the photo inputs on this receiver to get "funky"? Specifically the left phono input seems to have a bad connection. If I jiggle the cord I can get it to work for a bit then it goes out again. It is the receiver not the connecting cable. I am using a rca extender cable and I did replace the cable and had the exact same problem.

I suppose I could just get a phono preamp and come in via another input as a workaround. Open to some thoughts.
Old 03-28-2015, 05:47 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsnuffy View Post
For those of us still using this receiver I have a question. Is it common for the photo inputs on this receiver to get "funky"? Specifically the left phono input seems to have a bad connection. If I jiggle the cord I can get it to work for a bit then it goes out again. It is the receiver not the connecting cable. I am using a rca extender cable and I did replace the cable and had the exact same problem.

I suppose I could just get a phono preamp and come in via another input as a workaround. Open to some thoughts.
It almost sounds like a build up of dust? I haven't had any issues with the phono inputs on my 905. Since you posted this did you get a chance to try the work around?

Stace
Old 03-30-2015, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I have not tried the workaround. I do not currently have a phono preamp unit.

If the problem is dust, is there a way to clean it out without opening the unit? Otherwise are there any suggestions for opening the unit without hurting the unit or myself?
Old 04-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Hi All,

Lurker - several years the owner of a second-hand TX-NR905 and very happy with it. I've read through much of this thread and have noted the issue with the HDMI board and the 85 deg caps going out and causing problems. There is mention of a thread that provides instruction on how to change them. I'v found the thread on "how-to for dummys", but it is for a different model and the images of the HDMI board look different from what I have.

Is there another thread that walks through this cap replacement? I have searched for the last 30 min for this information both here and the web, maybe not keying the right key words. I'd appreciate if anyone knows the pertinent thread, hopefully with pics, and can point me at the specific caps that need replacing.

Thanks again..

110" homemade Spandex grey-screen, Pan AE8000U, Onkyo TX-NR905

edit: Going back through threads one post at a time, I think I've found what I need in a post by Jon S number 663 in the "How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?)" found here: How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?)

Last edited by Wisiwyg; 04-23-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Old 05-19-2015, 10:12 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello guys, i am pretty sure it has been talked about but this thread is so HUGE!!!! Here is my problem...

For the last week when i turn it on i hear the sound but no pictures!! I've tried with dvd player, blue ray or cable provider and i hear the sound pefectly but no pictures at all!!! I did try a factory reset and it didnt work out... Has my receiver's life already over?

If you could tell me if it's normal after 8 years....i'm kinda upset of not being able to watch tv anymore...

thanks
Old 06-01-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator View Post
Hello guys, i am pretty sure it has been talked about but this thread is so HUGE!!!! Here is my problem...

For the last week when i turn it on i hear the sound but no pictures!! I've tried with dvd player, blue ray or cable provider and i hear the sound pefectly but no pictures at all!!! I did try a factory reset and it didnt work out... Has my receiver's life already over?

If you could tell me if it's normal after 8 years....i'm kinda upset of not being able to watch tv anymore...

thanks
Exact same thing happen for me yesterday when I started it! If I press the setup button I see the ONKYO logo but nothing else so it doesn't go into the setup menu. After doing everything (had it unplugged for a awhile also) it worked again! Today after I started it it also worked but after about 2 hours the screen froze but sound continue. I unplugged it and after about 20 minutes it started working again. So seems like some overheating..

I did find some things to try, replacing resistors from the small board in the front from post 17338 in the "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread" and the thing linked just 2 posts up from my post in this thread. (Sorry can't post links to few posts) and just replacing the HDMI board.

So what should we do!? The first thing seems like simplest (even though I suck at soldering) but don't seem like its the right place (far from hdmi ports). I have opened it hoping to find lots of dust but where very little, used some compressed air anyway but very little hope of that.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 AM

*update to above*

Everything was working fine, and then I put the Onkyo in standby a shot while, and after that I got no signal = no video and no sound. Try on off several times but the same. So I pulled the power cord and after that I got sound but still no picture. So it might not be overheating but some handshake or other issue I guess.
Old 06-01-2015, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albator View Post

thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderlore View Post
Exact same thing happen for me yesterday when I started it! If I press the setup button I see the ONKYO logo but nothing else so it doesn't go into the setup menu. After doing everything (had it unplugged for a awhile also) it worked again! Today after I started it it also worked but after about 2 hours the screen froze but sound continue. I unplugged it and after about 20 minutes it started working again. So seems like some overheating..

I did find some things to try, replacing resistors from the small board in the front from post 17338 in the "The" Onkyo TX-SR805 Thread" and the thing linked just 2 posts up from my post in this thread. (Sorry can't post links to few posts) and just replacing the HDMI board.

So what should we do!? The first thing seems like simplest (even though I suck at soldering) but don't seem like its the right place (far from hdmi ports). I have opened it hoping to find lots of dust but where very little, used some compressed air anyway but very little hope of that.

Chances are the capacitors on the HDMI board have gone bad due to heat failure. This is a known issue with Onkyos because they used low rated parts on the board. You can try and replace the caps on the HDMI board, but with its age, I would consider buying a new (non-Onkyo IMHO) receiver with the latest tech.

I had three Onkyos and all three had failed due to one reason or another after a year or two. I would not recommend staying with Onkyo because their reliability is pretty bad...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
Old 06-01-2015, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East, dts:x Films: Under the Skin, 3D, Birdman, X_Machina, The Zero Theorem, Interstellar
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4902 Post(s)
Liked: 2026
I agree with the poster just above (Jon S). ...If shopping for a new receiver, look @ the flagship from Yamaha (RX-A3040*), and/or Denon (AVR-X7200W).
...For a pre/pro; look @ Marantz top gun, the AV8802A.

* The Yamaha A3040 will not get a DTS:X firmware update/upgrade. ...Then wait for its replacement this Summer/Fall.