AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinius View Post

Two questions:
1. Could you please describe in detail what exactly the popping sound is like? Does it come up just when you start the receiver or does it keep going on throughout the playing time? I have an Onkyo TX SR797. A clicking noise has rendered it a piece of garbage. I cannot believe it if Onkyo comes up with a whole line of new receivers whose specs look so attractive with the same kind of problem. I hope it's not the same kind of problem, though.
2. The 805 and 875 are said of having serious problem with over-heating. The 905 features a massive toroidal transformer and two other transformers for vedio and audio respectively. Have you noticed any over-heating problem with the 905?

Your answer will to a great extent determine if I will give Onkyo another chance by purchasing a 905. Many thanks in advance.

1 Do not buy an Onkyo, they aren't for you.
2. I own an 805 and have absolutely no problem (serious or joking) with "over-heating".

and, btw, I do not have any popping problems, nor do I have any audio/video sync problems.

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinius View Post

Two questions:
2. The 805 and 875 are said of having serious problem with over-heating.

Can you provide some links to support this statement? I'd recommend doing a little research before throwing out bold statements such as this.
I had an 875 and even though it ran very hot there were no issues with it overheating. I could see if you enclosed it in a cabinet with no ventilation you might run into a situation, but any reasonable install should not pose a problem.

Achievement Unlocked

Psychotic Episode Averted

post #63 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 09:19 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I have personaly had the 605, 805 and 875 hooked up in my set up and never experienced any popping, humming issues, or to loud of clicks. Also, they do run hot, but I have never had one of them shut down because of it....

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

Check out these new Lighted Cup Holders:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1402680301175
post #64 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I have personaly had the 605, 805 and 875 hooked up in my set up and never experienced any popping, humming issues, or to loud of clicks. Also, they do run hot, but I have never had one of them shut down because of it....

Hey, where's your review?

Achievement Unlocked

post #65 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

I am going to wait until I get the 905 all set up. Then I will post a comparison review of the units...

Search or copy and paste-> Joe Rod Home Theater .Com <-to check out my latest Reviews.

post #66 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 10:00 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I was going to order one from ABT today but they said they are sold out until September! J&R thinks late August. Value Electronics couldn't say by the end of August either. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal and get one relatively soon please feel free to PM me.
post #67 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
how does this 905 compare to the Denon AVR-3808CI. the 2 im interested in.
post #68 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 10:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I was going to order one from ABT today but they said they are sold out until September! J&R thinks late August. Value Electronics couldn't say by the end of August either. If anyone knows where I can get a good deal and get one relatively soon please feel free to PM me.

You know, as much as the rational side of me knows this is stupid, I think I'm going to go ahead and keep my MSRP-priced 905 from one call. From what I heard, all of the first production units have already been allocated to dealers/distributors, so I think only the lucky few who pre-ordered very early are going to get a unit at below MSRP in August. I did have pre-orders with J&R and VE at a good price, but I wasn't expecting much from J&R after seeing the problems it had acquiring 875 units (do they even have them at this point)? And VE, although it did get units early, I did not place my order early enough to get one of their first alloted units. And despite trying numerous times, VE refused to tell me how many people were ahead of me on the pre-order list, so despite the promise that it was going to get more units "soon", I was reluctant to wait given how limited the first production supply is.

And the stores that do have them in stock (crutchfield, one call, bh photo, etc.) are all charging MSRP, and all refuse to go below MSRP unless you can show them a store that has them in stock at that price, so it's a catch-22 situation. And can I honestly blame them? Maybe we've gotten spoiled at expecting stores to sell a red hot item like this at below MSRP, at least unless you've pre-ordered months in advance, which I didn't do. Anyway, I think i'm just going to bite the bullet and keep this one, since I can't (and don't want to) possibly wait until September to get one at a lower price. It's not the smartest decision, but at least I'm paying MSRP and not above, like those people that paid 1300 bucks on Ebay to get PS3s when they came out.
post #69 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 11:26 AM
AVS Club Gold

That is a good point. Keep it. You have 30 days anyway. And if there happens to be any kind of "issues" with it just return it. By then they will be everywhere well below MSRP...

post #70 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 11:29 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2006 View Post

You know, as much as the rational side of me knows this is stupid, I think I'm going to go ahead and keep my MSRP-priced 905 from one call. From what I heard, all of the first production units have already been allocated to dealers/distributors, so I think only the lucky few who pre-ordered very early are going to get a unit at below MSRP in August. I did have pre-orders with J&R and VE at a good price, but I wasn't expecting much from J&R after seeing the problems it had acquiring 875 units (do they even have them at this point)? And VE, although it did get units early, I did not place my order early enough to get one of their first alloted units. And despite trying numerous times, VE refused to tell me how many people were ahead of me on the pre-order list, so despite the promise that it was going to get more units "soon", I was reluctant to wait given how limited the first production supply is.

And the stores that do have them in stock (crutchfield, one call, bh photo, etc.) are all charging MSRP, and all refuse to go below MSRP unless you can show them a store that has them in stock at that price, so it's a catch-22 situation. And can I honestly blame them? Maybe we've gotten spoiled at expecting stores to sell a red hot item like this at below MSRP, at least unless you've pre-ordered months in advance, which I didn't do. Anyway, I think i'm just going to bite the bullet and keep this one, since I can't (and don't want to) possibly wait until September to get one at a lower price. It's not the smartest decision, but at least I'm paying MSRP and not above, like those people that paid 1300 bucks on Ebay to get PS3s when they came out.

I think you have made the best decision for your situation. Enjoy that fantastic receiver!!!

If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.

post #71 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 11:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

At this point I would keep it to. Life is to short to be stressed out over paying to much for electronic components. Come Tuesday you will be one fo the first to own the 905. Besides, AVS needs you to tell us about the receiver. So take one for the team!

post #72 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM
AVS Special Member

A good deal is in the eye of the beholder. What is a good deal to you might not be a good deal to someone else. The way I look at it is they are all depreciating items anyways. If you keep it for the next 3 or 4 years I doubt a couple hundred dollars difference is going to change your style of living. Now if you're like Joerod and myself who change receivers every month or so you definitely need to get a good deal to minimize the loss.

Achievement Unlocked

post #73 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I updated the first post with some pictures and more info. Here are the last two pictures of the unit.
LL
LL

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #74 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass addict View Post

A good deal is in the eye of the beholder. What is a good deal to you might not be a good deal to someone else. The way I look at it is they are all depreciating items anyways. If you keep it for the next 3 or 4 years I doubt a couple hundred dollars difference is going to change your style of living. Now if you're like Joerod and myself who change receivers every month or so you definitely need to get a good deal to minimize the loss.

I definitely plan to keep this one for 3-4 years at least. I bought my last receiver, a Yamaha HRT 5790, in August 2004 and would have kept it longer if it weren't for the HDMI 1.3 stuff coming out when it did. I figure this receiver should be "future proof" for a long time.

I'm planning to leave work earlier on Tuesday (around 5) so I can play around with it, so I hope to have observations Tuesday night.
post #75 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:03 PM
Advanced Member

I just got my FedEx package from VE. I've got a birthday party tonight so I can't hook it up.

-T.Wells
post #76 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

I updated the first post with some pictures and more info. Here are the last two pictures of the unit.

Which reminds me, how the heck does one get those darned stickers off, anyway???

post #77 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:

Jon S,

Can you confirm wether the Reon picture adjustments are in the standard menu, or in a "secret menu." I have a 875 on order, but if the extra picture adjustments are only going to be available in the 905, I may cancel my 875 order and wait for a 905 (if they are worth it).

Thanks
post #78 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:10 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

As you can see, the power transformers are massive!! no wonder this thing weighs a ton.

Geeze, I wish I hadn't looked at those pictures! Now my 805 really looks like crap!

post #79 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 41
The Reon options are in the HDMI configuration menu under Picture. It is not hidden, I could not find anything about this in the manual (so my guess is it probably won't be in the 875 manual either).

The options shown are:
type (film, video or auto), random, macro-blocking, noise and edge enhancement (I think, and not in that order). The edge enhancement control goes overboard, has low, med, high and off. Even at low, the ringing is noticeable on screen.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #80 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:34 PM
AVS Club Gold

Does the receiver do anything when holding AUX1 and then tapping power on the front of the unit?

post #81 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:41 PM

Quote:

Does the receiver do anything when holding AUX1 and then tapping power on the front of the unit?

Joe,

Did the 875 have the picture options under HDMI options that Jon posted about? Did you look there? for them?

Thanks.
post #82 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Club Gold

There were not any picture options with the 875. Only the DEEP color enable option. Supposably they may end up doing a firmware upgrade to give the 875 owners the same options...

post #83 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 12:57 PM

qouted this email to j an r and they macthed the price.

they said they will have them next week.

i hope i dont get kicked from thread for this

i posted this both places

Attn: robert
We hope your session was productive. Below is a transcript of messages
exchanged and items sent.

robert: hello i am looking into getting the Onkyo TX-NR905, do you
have a pre order price

A representative will be with you in about a minute.

[Nick Cosentino - A representative has joined the session.]

Nick Cosentino: Welcome to Abt Live Chat.

Nick Cosentino: $1499 w/ free shipping

robert: when do you expect too have them in

Nick Cosentino: Early September

Nick Cosentino: Did you want to place an order?

robert: ok thanks. great price let me see if i can find it sooner. if
not would you like me too call you

Nick Cosentino: That would be great. 847-544-2685

robert: ok thanks. i will

[robert - has disconnected]

[Nick Cosentino - user has closed this session]
post #84 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 01:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Popping and crackling sounds or similar sounds would be completely unacceptable to me if caused by a new Onkyo receiver! My first digital receiver (Yamaha RX-V992) and all that followed RX-V2095, RX-V2700, and RX-V659 have NEVER had any popping sounds etc and would be intolerable to me. How come Onkyo designers are supplying Receivers with these noises..........I bet the new Yamaha and Denon units do not have such noises.
post #85 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 02:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There were not any picture options with the 875. Only the DEEP color enable option. Supposably they may end up doing a firmware upgrade to give the 875 owners the same options...

I understand that you probably have more contacts than I do in the CE industry, but is the firmware issue with the 875 for certain or just speculation from someone in customer service or what? Any help would be appreciated because I'm still waiting for J&R for my 875 and I don't want to start all over waiting for a 905. The additional features excluding the transformer are not needed for me. I would like to have access to the Reon video processing though, like I do with my Tosh XA2. Without the picture adjustments then I would go for the 905. Thanks
post #86 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 02:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

It came from a very good source but don't let that be your only deciding factor. chance are the firmware would not be out for awhile. If you are on the fence now I would suggest just getting the 905 to start with...

post #87 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 02:56 PM

Ordered today from *******, don't feel like waiting for *insert X days* to get a 905 again. 805 is going back tonight to Circuit City. Soon as I have mine, I'll have pics and my thoughts on the unit.

-Corey
post #88 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SausageofPower View Post

Ordered today from *******, don't feel like waiting for *insert X days* to get a 905 again. 805 is going back tonight to Circuit City. Soon as I have mine, I'll have pics and my thoughts on the unit.

-Corey

Could you clear up what the ****** stands for?

By the way, not to dwell on this topic but I just noticed that apparently One Call ran out of stock of the black 905s, supposedly they had 8 yesterday. Guess I wasn't the only impatient one
post #89 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

thanks for your detail reviews.

a few questions:

can both HDMI out simultaneously?
rear panel printed 'assignable'. does it mean HDMI 1 out from source A and HDMI 2 out from source B, if above 2 out work?
what do you mean no bass in calibration? 905 has Audyssey XT, do I need to spend extra $ for official Audyssey soundEQ?
Audyssey soundEQ

FYI, my current NR900 remote has all buttons lit too.
maybe the HDMI layout designer comes from Arabian with backward custom...
at least component can see OSD. this is NG on NR900. inconvenience!!!
wow, Hawaii! mom says it's the most beautiful place of USA!

Quote:

Couple of irritating things, only ONE subwoofer output. There was absolutely no bass when calibrated.

And finally, this remote has a button on the side to turn on backlighting. Hooray!!! All the buttons get lit!!!

the HDMI inputs are labeled backwards. This thru me off. The inputs are labeled 4,3,2,1 from left to right. I could not get a picture for awhile until I noticed this. it should have been labeled 1,2,3,4.....

the OSD can only output to HDMI or the other displays, but not all at once.

Hawaii has crappy stations other than PBS.

post #90 of 8818 Old 08-04-2007, 04:52 PM

Just chiming in to say, I have a 905 on the way . $1499 w/ free shipping. Would of went to J and R but kinda defeats the purpose when you live in NY. Only problem is the amount of time it's gonna take to get here. 3 weeks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page